Poll: Cruise Critic's Deck Plans feature

namtan

When do you typically use the Deck Plans on Cruise Critic (or a cruise line's site)?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. When do you typically use the Deck Plans on Cruise Critic (or a cruise line's site)?

• Before I even begin the booking process, I start my research with deck plans.
    • After most of my research is done, I want to validate my decision right before I book.
    • After I have booked a cabin and I want to become more familiar with the ship.
    • After returning home from a cruise to alleviate the post-vacation blues.
    • I rarely or never use Deck Plans.

Here at Cruise Critic, we would love to know more about how our members are using our site and how we can improve it. So, how do you use our Deck Plans feature? What for? Let us know by responding to this thread!

Here's an example of one of our Deck Plans pages: http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-dream-deck-plans/dp/

Not sure where to begin? Here's a quick poll to get you started (but please share your thoughts too!)

Christie O'Laughlin

Production Assistant

Cruise Critic

Always check the deck plans first. Your cabin location can make or break a cruise! I use the deck plans on the cruise line website.

The title of this post does not mention the cruise line option, but does in the poll. Might be a good idea to change the title.

Edited by kcwingwalker

I didn't know either. So, after some searching I found the deck plans for Celebrity Millennium, our next cruise. Our room - 8116 - shows up as a lower cost category C1 when it actually is a more expensive C2 on Celebrity's site, as well as two other 3rd party sites I checked. If they plans aren't accurate, they aren't as helpful as they could be.

I'll continue using my usual sources which stay up to date.

Edited by boogs

• Administrators
I didn't know either. So, after some searching I found the deck plans for Celebrity Millennium, our next cruise. Our room - 8116 - shows up as a lower cost category C1 when it actually is a more expensive C2 on Celebrity's site, as well as two other 3rd party sites I checked. If they plans aren't accurate, they aren't as helpful as they could be.

I'll continue using my usual sources which stay up to date.

Didn't know CC had deck plans... guess I better do some searching!

No need to search! Our deck plans are linked on our individual ship review pages, look for Deck Plans listed on this Carnival Sunshine review

Easier to find are our Cabin Reviews, shown here: Cabin Reviews

Now, after taking a look at both those areas, what other features would you like to see from us?

Laura

Absolutely do become familiar with Deck Plans so I'll know which cabin for us to book and how to get to the places we like to go once on the ship.

Hard copies of the Decks Plans from the cruise line or our TA work better for me than viewing them on the internet.

LuLu

~~~~~

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got to them. The deck plans are larger than the Carnival site. I prefer the Carnival site though because you can see a visual of where the deck is located on the ship and you can see the whole deck plan on your screen.

I did learn more about the conquest from reading the write up regarding dinning and other stuff.

I also check the brochures I keep of my favorite cruise lines deck plans. Since my DH is handicapped and needs a larger cabin for his scooter, it is important for us to know what cabins would be suitable. Even after I find a suitable cabin, there are so few handicapped cains on each ship that they afre sometimes sold out before I can book. I could go to a suite but usually the prices are prohibitive and we don't need all the amenities. Just a larger caabin with room for a scooter. Since this has happened recently, it certainly makes cruising a challenge. The handicapped forum hasn't been much help.

• 1 month later...

I found that the CC deck plans were hard to find. CC needs a hotlink to a page which identifies the Deck Plans by ship rather than going to the Ship Reviews to find the deck plans there. Unless you know that the Deck Plans are on the Review page, you can't find them.:(

CC needs a hotlink to a page which identifies the Deck Plans by ship rather than going to the Ship Reviews to find the deck plans there. Unless you know that the Deck Plans are on the Review page, you can't find them.:(

YES

Would have used them in the past since like to decide location.

Most cruisers are older folks with Old Eyes.

Deck Plans need to be BIG and easily readable.

I see far too many deck plans designed

by 29 yr.olds for their age group.

Not real helpful for folks 50+ :cool:

Start here:

http://www.cruisecheap.com/ships/all-cruise-ships.html

Deck plans are the View link in the column at extreme right.

• 1 month later...

I have found the deck plan for the carnival conquest helpful for locating my room and potential noise issues, but I really wish the plan had a key available for the symbols differentiating the rooms, and not just the colors. My color had a little square next to the number and I had a heck of a time finding out what that square meant - giving the benefit of the doubt, though, not even Carnival's site had a key for the deck plan. I had to google search specifically for the key to find out that the square meant it was a double twin- King with couch & bunk (up to 4 people). I did find it, but on another cruise info site. Very obscure! Thanks

Marylena

*NEW* to Cruising, but well traveled!

Planned: Conquest, Christmas 2014