Pros and cons in booking onboard

barante

I have done such bookings a couple of times but, frankly, we shop for the most interesting itinerary and best price so this approach is not often useful. I find it more flexible to deal with Internet agencies at their prices and terms.

So what is those members' take who do this repeatedly?

I am asking because we will be on HAL in another few months and are thinking about a future cruise.

Guest maddycat
I have done such bookings a couple of times but, frankly, we shop for the most interesting itinerary and best price so this approach is not often useful. I find it more flexible to deal with Internet agencies at their prices and terms.

I am asking because we will be on HAL in another few months and are thinking about a future cruise.

You'd probably get a response if you posted this question on the HAL board.

I am particularly interested in opinions about whether onboard booking results in a substantial prive advantage since many online agencies do not extend their cheapest pricing to onboard bookings.

In the case of Royal Caribbean, the prices that are charged are pretty much the same whether you go through a TA or direct. The differences that come into play are that the TA can give you extra bonus stuff like OBC, Prepaid Gratuities, and other free stuff.

But the basic price remains the same.

I usually do not book while on board. On Royal Caribbean I purchase the future cruise certificates, they are 100.00 pp and then I can pick what ever cruise I want, shopping on my own, finding the best price and the itinerary I want. Then I just drop a line to my travel agent and she use my certificate to book, I get the OBC and don't have to put anything else down. Carnival stopped the future cruise certificates and I think that stinks. I'm not sure if any other cruise line offers them. I only sail on Royal or Carnival.

The benefits of on board savings do vary enough by cruise line it is best to ask on the cruise line board that you would be sailing.

Keith

In the 3rd post, the OP has explained why he/she is posting on here instead of the HAL boards!

On NCL you can purchase a Future Cruise Credit for $250. It is good for the deposit on any stateroom below a suite, for a suite and above it goes towards your deposit. It is good for any cruise for the next 4 years, is fully transferable, and you get a $100 onboard credit for the current cruise you are on for each certificate you purchase.

On Carnival they do have a "new" future cruise credit program, but it isn't as good as the old one, but granted I do not know much about it.

As for doing an actual booking while on a current ship, most likely I wouldn't unless the perks were wonderful. I like to do my research on ships, itinerary, price, and who all we would be bringing with us. If it is just us we like to do alot of last minute bookings, in order to get the best deals. :p

In the case of Royal Caribbean, the prices that are charged are pretty much the same whether you go through a TA or direct. The differences that come into play are that the TA can give you extra bonus stuff like OBC, Prepaid Gratuities, and other free stuff.

In the case of RCI (and most mass market lines) the price of the staterooms are not "pretty much the same" - they are exactly the same. The stateroom rates are the same through RCI or a TA as there is no stateroom discounting allowed through a TA.

What will appear as a "discounted" price through a TA is what some may offer (as you indicate) as an OBC, prepaid gratuities, and other "free stuff". But all of this comes directly from the TA - not RCI - as either a block (TA group) of rooms which allows a one person at no charge credit to the TA for every eight rooms blocked - some or all of which may be passed on proportionately to the passengers who book from those blocks - or out of their agent commission, or a combination of both.

RCI's on board booking program offers a reduced deposit ($100 for a standard stateroom, with only one person required to deposit to hold the double occupancy rate, and an OBC). They also offer a future cruise certificate with the same offer that is also transferrable to a TA for booking through them at a later date.

But do not fall under the misconception that a TA has lower or better stateroom rates than RCI directly. As indicated, any perk offered from them comes in some form or another out of their booking compensation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would just like to add that, check with the TA to see if there are any cancellation charges. Two different TAs that we have used charged $200. When you book direct with the cruise line, you get a full refund before final payment. However, travel insurance is not refundable.

I would just like to add that, check with the TA to see if there are any cancellation charges. Two different TAs that we have used charged $200. When you book direct with the cruise line, you get a full refund before final payment. However, travel insurance is not refundable.

That is true - and unfortunate - as we have used the same TA for the past 15 years because of the fact she not only offers excellent service, but also has absolutely no origination, modification, change, or cancellation charges with any booking. And we have had several cruises where, once booked, some form of change, modification, or cancellation with the booking has occurred. The only time a fee or penalty would be charged by her is if it is one directly charged by policy from RCI.

Continue to search TA's as there are many with policies similar to the one we use.

That is true - and unfortunate - as we have used the same TA for the past 15 years because of the fact she not only offers excellent service, but also has absolutely no origination, modification, change, or cancellation charges with any booking. And we have had several cruises where, once booked, some form of change, modification, or cancellation with the booking has occurred. The only time a fee or penalty would be charged by her is if it is one directly charged by policy from RCI.

Continue to search TA's as there are many with policies similar to the one we use.

You are very fortunate to have a good TA. We moved here 3 years ago and are still looking for a good one. Everyone I ask here for a recommendation say they do their own bookings for any kind of travel, including the priest at our church.

You are very fortunate to have a good TA. We moved here 3 years ago and are still looking for a good one. Everyone I ask here for a recommendation say they do their own bookings for any kind of travel, including the priest at our church.

I wish I could help but we cannot discuss specific TA's. But I can safely suggest to continue to search for one who has no fees of any type or at any time associated with doing business, is a person in an agency that you can talk directly to, and one who has a long track record of business experience that specializes in cruises. Just ask a lot of questions first to understand who they are and how they conduct their business.

As others have stated, no specific TAs can be mentioned, but I would comment that you don't have to have a Florida TA. We live in Kentucky, our TA is in upstate New York. A neighbor here in Ky uses a TA in Texas.

In the days of the almighty cell phone, there aren't even any long distance phone bills to discourage using a TA in another state.

Also, some cruise lines (Princess comes to mind) have listings on their websites of TAs who are approved to book their product.

Edited by thinfool

We usually travel with a fairly large group. Some folks have book future cruises while onboard, we have not. Our experience has been that we ended up getting the same price, the same OBC, the same perks, not booking in advance. We are not beholden to any one line, so when all the lines schedules come out, we have many, many more options than had we committed while on a cruise.

I have a great TA, and I do all my booking with her via email and telephone (she is not local). I would never use anyone else and neither will any one of my friends or family that I have referred to her. I have been using her since 2005 and book and average of at least 3 cruises a year with her. My brother who also cruises 3 to 4 times a year started using her 3 years ago (he always booked on his own) and he loves her to. You can find a good TA, they are out there.

Be careful buying future cruise credits with some cruise lines. Read the fine print!

Celebrity, for instance, any advantage in buying the FCC (such as OBC) is NOT combinable with many of their promotions. Some of these promotions are better than the OBC. Celebrities 123Go and Pick your Perk promos were not combinable with any other offer (FCC OBC, Captain's Club coupon offers, etc.). I think they recently have started to allow the FCC OBC to be combinable with some offers, but I am not sure which offers.

When booking future cruise certificates with RCI they also give you a certificate for two additional cabins if booked at the same time which will also get the 100 dollar obc . 100 dollars to do a open booking and 300 obc is a good deal for a family. We also look for the best deal and give the certificate number to our TA when we finely find a cruise.