Royal Princess Wine Maker's Dinner

Astro Flyer

I had questions about the Wine Maker's Dinner before sailing on the Royal Princess' TA from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale. However I haven't seen much info so decided to share my experience with the Wine Maker's Dinner...GREAT! :D

I immediately called the DINE line upon boarding the ship & was placed on a list without being told if or when we'd get to do it. After an overnight in Venice there was only 1 day at sea in the next 6 days so apparently none were scheduled. We periodically checked with them & learned we were assigned the 1st day after Madeira as we began 7 days at sea. I don't know if it will only be offered on seadays but that was my experience.

For only $15/pp more than dinner at the Crown Grill the Wine Maker's Dinner was just as good. Everything was great particularly the filet mignon & gnocchi (something we don't usually enjoy) and drinks were also good. A glass of Prosecco upon arrival, free flowing white & red wines with the meal and limoncello & cappuccino with dessert.

The wines weren't as expensive but we discovered a couple of $34 wines that we enjoyed: Sicilian "Anthilla Donnafugata" white wine & California "Spellbound Petite Sirah" red wine. It wasn't the over $50 bottles at the Chef's Table but we could go to nearly 3 Wine Maker's Dinners ($40/pp) for the price of 1 Royal Princess Chef's Table. Both are great but after 4 Chef's Tables when it was $75 we didn't care to spend $115/pp on the Royal Princess.

I talked to many people who attempted to book the Wine Maker's Dinner later in the cruise which was fully booked & is limited to only 10 people per night and on our cruise think it was only on sea days. The "Wine Cellar" made for a more private experience & just like the CT on other ships served in the MDR, hopefully the excellent Wine Maker's Dinner can be expanded to other ships.

The attached menu is 1 of 3 used & was the Symphony's headwaiter's Davide's favorite one. He began his Princess career to be a chef but since he couldn't interact with passengers he became a waiter instead. His family in Northern Italy makes their own wine & it was very apparent how much he loves wine, food and people...his energy was contagious! ;)

1888137025_Winecellar.jpg.1b6ca61aa01dec9fa25f5524a7696b2d.jpg

1355202696_WMDEntree.jpg.411860281c26556b9a144938d5b7dcd7.jpg

Wine Make's Dinner menu.pdf

Wow, that menu looks yummy. I love the full descriptions; it really seems like more of a "learning" experience than the Chef's Table. Now I want to sail the RP just to do this! I hope they do expand it to other ships, although the others won't have that nifty setting amongst the wine coolers.

It will be interesting to see how often this is offered in the Caribbean. We have a few people on my 12/8 sailing that would like to get together for a friendly dinner here and hopefully it won't be too hard to get us at the same table. Also, I'm not much of a 'free-flowing' wine drinker, as I may get drunk too fast. May have to pace myself. :eek:;):D

OK this looks amazing, thank you for this post!! It seems like the Chef's Table on the Allure of the Seas, which was VERY different from any Chef's Table we've done - that one was an incredible learning experience with wonderful food and wine - I can't wait to try this!

OK this looks amazing, thank you for this post!! It seems like the Chef's Table on the Allure of the Seas, which was VERY different from any Chef's Table we've done - that one was an incredible learning experience with wonderful food and wine - I can't wait to try this!

Not only was the food amazing but so was the service. Headwaiter Davide freshly prepared the gnocchi tableside & was very informative. Maitre'd Pasquale dropped by several times & the servers were excellent. It may not be for everyone but I'm going to suggest they implement it fleetwide even if it's at a MDR table on other ships just like the Chef's Table.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

Frank;

I just saw this thread. Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the Wine Makers dinner. The menu looks amazing. I regret not trying it. If it's expanded to other ships, that mistake will definitely not be made a second time.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Thanks for this. I've been wondering what they intended by selling these as "Winemaker Dinners". In the real world, that usually means that the owner, winemaker, or local distributor walks the participants through the wines during the meal. I kind of doubted that Princess was going to do this. The menu looks terrific, and while Spellbound Petite Sirah is a reliable "go to" wine in the $35-$45 range on restaurant wine lists, portraying it as a wine by "Michael Mondavi, Winemaker" is a stretch, boardering on deceit. The wine is made by his son, and MM never touches it. So I guess folks can and should look forward to a very nice dinner in a nice setting with decent wines. But don't expect any true "winemaker participation", or, even any affiliation.

Thanks for this. I've been wondering what they intended by selling these as "Winemaker Dinners". In the real world, that usually means that the owner, winemaker, or local distributor walks the participants through the wines during the meal. I kind of doubted that Princess was going to do this. The menu looks terrific, and while Spellbound Petite Sirah is a reliable "go to" wine in the $35-$45 range on restaurant wine lists, portraying it as a wine by "Michael Mondavi, Winemaker" is a stretch, boardering on deceit. The wine is made by his son, and MM never touches it. So I guess folks can and should look forward to a very nice dinner in a nice setting with decent wines. But don't expect any true "winemaker participation", or, even any affiliation.

Prego! I appreciate your insights on the wines & was wondering about the "Mondavi" wine. I agree that it's not completely accurate although thought it was worth the extra $15/pp. more than dinner at the Crown Grill. I learned some things & discovered decently priced wine while enjoying dinner in a "wine cellar".

Somewhere I have an article written by a travel writer about one of the earlier Wine Maker's Dinners. They actually had someone from the winery there but that could have been the 1st one to educate those onboard about their wines.

Hopefully they will expand this option to other ships for passengers like me who enjoy it.

Our second wine maker dinner was the Mondavi Menu. we were told the menu was developed by Michael Mondavi and the Princess head chef. The dinner was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed each and every bite!! The wines were not Mondavi.

Finally heading back to FLL after 19 wonderful days aboard the Royal Princess. We loved our time on this ship!!

Cheers, Denise

I had not heard about the WineMaker's Dinner, but will try it when we get on the Royal in Feb.

Too bad the Chef's table is now so expensive.I loved that and would like to do it again but can't justify the price since my appetite is small and I am not a heavy drinker.

It was a pleasure to share the table with you. I just want to thank you again for posting about the dinner on this board as it because of you I even knew it existed, and it was fabulous. Loved meeting you and your sister and husbands. You are the warm gracious person you come across as in these postings. My best to all of you.

Linda

Our second wine maker dinner was the Mondavi Menu. we were told the menu was developed by Michael Mondavi and the Princess head chef. The dinner was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed each and every bite!! The wines were not Mondavi.

Finally heading back to FLL after 19 wonderful days aboard the Royal Princess. We loved our time on this ship!!

Cheers, Denise

It was a pleasure to share the table with you. I just want to thank you again for posting about the dinner on this board as it because of you I even knew it existed, and it was fabulous. Loved meeting you and your sister and husbands. You are the warm gracious person you come across as in these postings. My best to all of you.

Linda

Linda,

You are so sweet, thank you. It was our pleasure to enjoy a fabulous dinner with the two of you!! I hope more and more cruisers will get to experience this lovely evening.

Cheers, Denise.

• 7 months later...

This sounds much more interesting to me than the Chef's Table. I don't suppose we'll be sailing on Royal or Regal anytime soon though. At this point (not yet retired) we will do most of our cruising out of San Francisco and that severely limits our choices.

We will (WILL!) be doing a Panama Canal transit fairly soon (hopefully next year) and that obviously won't be out of SF but, for the most part, we will be constrained to SF departures for the next (almost) 3 years. (30 months to retirement!!!)

This sounds much more interesting to me than the Chef's Table. I don't suppose we'll be sailing on Royal or Regal anytime soon though. At this point (not yet retired) we will do most of our cruising out of San Francisco and that severely limits our choices.

Princess successfully had the Chef's Table before creating a special location for it on the Royal/Regal...the Lumiere ring of lights. Princess could just as easily expand the Wine Makers Dinner fleetwide even without the the separate "wine cellar".

We attended both the Chef's Table and Wine Maker's Dinners last year on the Royal. The CT dinner was particularly memorable as it was hosted by Chef Marzi - the meal one of the best we have experienced in a long time, whether ashore or at sea. Of course you have to factor in the tour, the appies and the company for the evening. Interestingly enough the Wine Makers dinner was almost as good for far less money. We'll be on the Royal next Spring, not sure if we'll do the CT but will very probably go to another Wine Maker's.

Interestingly enough the Wine Makers dinner was almost as good for far less money. We'll be on the Royal next Spring, not sure if we'll do the CT but will very probably go to another Wine Maker's.

I feel the same way...both are excellent but the Wine Maker's Dinner is something we'll do whenever it's available.

• 2 months later...
I had questions about the Wine Maker's Dinner before sailing on the Royal Princess' TA from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale. However I haven't seen much info so decided to share my experience with the Wine Maker's Dinner...GREAT! :D

I immediately called the DINE line upon boarding the ship & was placed on a list without being told if or when we'd get to do it.

For only $15/pp more than dinner at the Crown Grill the Wine Maker's Dinner was just as good. Everything was great particularly the filet mignon & gnocchi (something we don't usually enjoy) and drinks were also good. A glass of Prosecco upon arrival, free flowing white & red wines with the meal and limoncello & cappuccino

The attached menu is 1 of 3 used & was the Symphony's headwaiter's Davide's favorite one. He began his Princess career to be a chef but since he couldn't interact with passengers he became a waiter instead. His family in Northern Italy makes their own wine & it was very apparent how much he loves wine, food and people...his energy was contagious! ;)

Thanks for the info and pics.

To clarify, one does not have choice of date? If so, how far in advance do they notify you?

You mention 3 menus, are they offered on the same night and you pick the one you like or are you given whatever the chef chose for the evening?

Do you know how many nights the WMD is offered on the cruise? With only 10 diners a night, it must be difficult to get reservations?

Thanks for the info and pics.

To clarify, one does not have choice of date? If so, how far in advance do they notify you?

You mention 3 menus, are they offered on the same night and you pick the one you like or are you given whatever the chef chose for the evening?

Do you know how many nights the WMD is offered on the cruise? With only 10 diners a night, it must be difficult to get reservations?

Hi Eleanor...they called us a couple of nights before the dinner & didn't ask what date we wanted to attend. The chef & head waiter select one menu & wine pairing per night but if a group are the only ones that night it may be possible to request a certain menu.

On our TA it wasn't offered on the port intensive Med portion of the cruise but only during the crossing. We dined early each night in the Symphony where the "Wine Cellar" area is located & never saw anyone there until the time we had the WMD. I wish they'd offer it nightly but like the CT it's very limited participation. Let's keep the WMD a "secret" to increase the odds of getting it on our cruise. ;)