We're "Barking" in 4 Weeks...Anyone Else Have Silly Cruise Sayings???

Wilda

I have to ask. What literature is ever attached to your door? We've been on 8 RCI cruises and the only literature we've found on our door is our Sea Pass bill on the final night of the cruise.

Not as much now as they used to, but they would put the Park West come on's on the door. (in the slot over your door number) Now days, they cram everything in the compass. Sometimes, it's an invite to a special occasion.

LOL, we do this too, and sometimes when we happen to be standing at the deck rail midweek, DH always says "this is about when you toss the ring overboard." ;)

Haha we're always looking for Isaac the Bartender - I don't know what will happen if we find one

We had a Julie who was in the cruise activities crew last time & we giggled every time we saw her - we're so juvenile :D

We had a cruise director on one cruise who always signed off the same way over the PA "Toodle-oo, for now!"

Mr Chew & I started referring to her as Toodles

And whenever we hear someone signing off over a pa, no matter where we are, we look at each other and say "Toodle-oo" We frequently say it when we hear someone saying good-bye anywhere ...

And if we can't remember the CD's name ... you guessed it ... "Toodles"

By the way, "Toodles" was a very good CD!!

Edited by Lady Chew

Here is my saying "Were Bonging In 4 weeks time" (Bong is the sound the machine makes when your Set Sail Card is swiped for the first time:):)

Or on your voicemail:

"Hello you have reached xxxxxx I'm sorry but I will be out of the country until (Date) onboard The XXX Of The Seas. If you want to spend $7.95 per minute calling me then you can call me at 1888-724-7447 and mention Name Of Ship, Sail Date, Stateroom# and my Last Name. Otherwise please leave a message after the Tone and Fair Winds To You.

Edited by travelplus

I have some cruise ship horns set as ringtones on my phone. They get a lot of use, even when no one is calling! I just go into the ringtones settings on my phone and play them once in a while to see who else is as excited to cruise as I am. :D

Edited by perfect match

Since my very first cruise, about 2 months out, I always come up with a vacation song and put it as my ringtone on my phone. Right now it is Zac Brown Band - Knee Deep.

I also like to Facebook that I'm on a boat when embarking. Yes I know its a ship but saying I'm on a boat sounds so much better!:cool:

Here is my saying "Were Bonging In 4 weeks time" (Bong is the sound the machine makes when your Set Sail Card is swiped for the first time:):)

Or on your voicemail:

"Hello you have reached xxxxxx I'm sorry but I will be out of the country until (Date) onboard The XXX Of The Seas. If you want to spend $7.95 per minute calling me then you can call me at 1888-724-7447 and mention Name Of Ship, Sail Date, Stateroom# and my Last Name. Otherwise please leave a message after the Tone and Fair Winds To You.

In other news, we're not home, come and rob our houses :rolleyes:

Edited by papcx

I've downloaded the Simpsons song where the CD (voiced by Steve Coggan) sings to the passengers that there half way through their cruise and should "enjoy it while you can"

I play it to DW half way through our cruise. It's a reminder to enjoy every moment.

Have a search for it, it's very good!

When we have a quiet day at home, not packed with chores and errands we call it an "at sea" day. Of course those days don't happen nearly often enough!

I like this one! I'll have to suggest it to DH. A reminder to just slow down and enjoy the time we have together :)

We call the buffet location "The Jammer" even when we are on Celebrity.

We always call the buffet the 'lido'...from our first ship :)

As for posting your absence on facebook, voicemail or etc...very risky, as somebody else said. That also goes for having your address on the outside of your luggage. Nothing like advertising that no one is home, for extended periods of time to what may be thieves. Just because you think your friends are trustworthy, doesn't mean THEIR friends are...not everybody is careful about the security of their facebook accounts.

Anyone who was on one of these cruises will never forget "Buon AppeTI'to" coming over the speaker system as each meal was announced. We still use the phrase when we're heading to somewhere special for dinner.

On our last cruise the waiter in the next section would say this to his tables. So every once in awhile someone in the house says it when we sit down for dinner.

Like many of the posters, I've been faithfully attending the "mustard drill" for many years...or sometimes, when I want a little cheese to go with that, the "Muenster drill".

Between "barking", "Crossing Over, Into the Light", "the security breeping", the "Squat & Gobble" pub, "the trough", "the feed lots", the "Wind-Jam it down your throat", "frequent floater", "happy birsary", "the Swedish Chef", 'the Crotch Bar", "the Carnival Seabass", "the drunk package", "the obelisk is in its usual spot", and of course, "disemboweling", this is one of the funniest threads I've seen in quite a while.

As for myself, apart from the muster / mustard / Muenster drill, I can think of a few others:

--On my first-ever cruise, in 2001, our waiter, when wedging himself between the wall and the back of our chairs to deliver or remove a plate, shortened the expected "Excuse me" into "Squeeze me!" We loved that guy, and I've remembered and repeated it ever since, especially when at sea.

--I often describe my usual budget accommodations onboard as "the much sought-after Bilge Suite".

--I sometimes find myself proclaiming bits from Andy Samberg & company's maritime opus, "I'M ON A BOAT, Y'ALL! Never thought I'd be on a boat..."

--However, since I realize that this is not the correct term, I had a couple of t-shirts printed up about a decade ago that say "PLEASE DON'T CALL IT A BOAT". (The crew in particular seem to appreciate that...:D)

Edited by jeph

I can not think of anything before a cruise but you just KNOW I will use some of these now. After a cruise, each cruise is 'the big adventure' and the ship is now 'our ship'. For that short time and ever after, we OWNED that boat. Oh yes, on the boat vs ship debate, I will call it all kinds of names. Past ships have been called barges, sloops, skiffs, skows, barques, and even tubs.

Oh yes, I know Princess is so proud of Movies Under The Stars, but we have taken to casually calling it Old Resolution TV Outside.

Each day at least once or twice a day one of us asks the other, "is it time for our cruise yet?" We also make up fake announcements with a horn noise and "Attention all cruise passengers... " and make up some silly announcement. Then we giggle like little kids.

I'm stealing this one!:p

We run around (for months and months and months) saying "how many days today?" and we all know that means 'until the cruise'. We have 'behaviors' too lol. Here are 2 that come to mind (silly, I know):

1. As soon we know what ship and sail date, I photoshop a double-sided wallet card that has a picture of the ship on one side and the ship facts, the itinerary, and a map of the route on the other. I then laminate these and hand them out to the family. We refer to it as 'having a card trick up our sleeve' and we sing "I gotta pocket, gotta pocket full of sunshine, I gotta love, gotta love that's all mine" when we first get them.

2. Every single day at 4:30 I pull up the phone app, check out the new countdown day, blow the cruise horn, click on the deck plan and find our room and picture us standing on the balcony, and then I smile and close the app. Every single day....

Lisa

Edited by 2bthereagain

Oh almost forgot. We do not count the days until 'the big adventure', we count the sleeps like a small child waiting on Christmas or a birthday. I have even marked the day timer out to about 60 sleeps just to keep the number right at my finger tips.

Since my very first cruise, about 2 months out, I always come up with a vacation song and put it as my ringtone on my phone. Right now it is Zac Brown Band - Knee Deep.

:cool:

I pick a vacation song too and play it over and over again. This time around it's Zac Brown Band - Jump Right In. DH keeps playing Joe Nichols Sunny and 75.

My first cruise was with my husband and my parents in 2009 and it was the first cruise for all four of us. My husband was taking a video of all of us sitting and hanging out near where we ate lunch after embarkation and the ship started moving.

My Mom was a little worried about getting seasick since she didn't know what to expect. When she felt the ship's motion, she said in a sing songy voice, "Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!" It was so cute and it's on video for posterity.

On the last two cruises I (sans video) repeated her saying when the ship started its voyage as I'm sure I'll do on all subsequent voyages. My husband cracked up on the cruise I went on with him in April of this year, but on the second cruise with just my parents in 2010, they didn't get the joke. I explained it to them but them it wasn't quite as funny after the explanation. It's still something that I think was very cute and spontaneous for her to do since she's usually so reserved.

We run around (for months and months and months) saying "how many days today?" and we all know that means 'until the cruise'. We have 'behaviors' too lol. Here are 2 that come to mind (silly, I know):

1. As soon we know what ship and sail date, I photoshop a double-sided wallet card that has a picture of the ship on one side and the ship facts, the itinerary, and a map of the route on the other. I then laminate these and hand them out to the family. We refer to it as 'having a card trick up our sleeve' and we sing "I gotta pocket, gotta pocket full of sunshine, I gotta love, gotta love that's all mine" when we first get them.

2. Every single day at 4:30 I pull up the phone app, check out the new countdown day, blow the cruise horn, click on the deck plan and find our room and picture us standing on the balcony, and then I smile and close the app. Every single day....

Lisa

I love both of these...you must be a happy girl:)

We get up with the 'crocodiles' (crack of dawn) when on a cruise - I am not a morning person.

Have 'sushi at 6'. Even if we are just having a drink it is always called 'sushi at 6' after discovering it was the perfect snack to tide us over until 8:30 dinner.

Lastly on a hot summers day at home when we need a drink before 5pm we just work out what port we would be in and drink to that port. Can be a bit difficult as we have cruised the Med and that makes it before lunch on the west coast of Canada.

Cheers, h.