Newbie here with Questions about Royal Princess

cdnphotogirl

I am well traveled throughout Europe but have never been on a cruise. I am going with my mother for her 80th on the Northern European cruise. I have a couple of questions for you more experienced cruisers. (I am in awe of the number of cruises some of you have been on.) Any and all info is appreciated.

1. Can we bring a kettle and clothes steamer for personal use in our room? Adding onto this can we bring our own tea bags and crystal drink mix to add to water?

2. What is the plug system used on the ship (US, European, or British)?

3. How many different options are there on there for dinner? I know I will not go hungry but I am a very picky eater.

4. How formal are the formal nights? Will a dress do or does it have to be evening gown formal? I am really not a formal dress/heels kind of lady and can't wear heals as I have had 6 knee surgeries on one knee and have severe back issues. But at the same time, I want to fit in.

Edited by cdnphotogirl
Remove error

I am well traveled throughout Europe but have never been on a cruise. I am going with my mother for her 80th on the Northern European cruise. I have a couple of questions for you more experienced cruisers. (I am in awe of the number of cruises some of you have been on.) Any and all info is appreciated.

1. Can we bring a kettle and clothes steamer for personal use in our room? Adding onto this can we bring our own tea bags and crystal drink mix to add to water? No to the kettle and steamer. There are irons available for use in the laundry rooms. You can also send clothes out for pressing. You can bring your own tea drink mix.

2. What is the plug system used on the ship (US, European, or British)?

US power plugs.

3. How many different options are there on there for dinner? I know I will not go hungry but I am a very picky eater.

Plenty:D Dining room, Horizon Bistro, Alfredos included and Crown Grill, Sabatinis, Crab Shack and Fondue for a fee. Also BBQ and Mexican fare on the Lido deck for a quick dinner.

4. How formal are the formal nights? Will a dress do or does it have to be evening gown formal? I am really not a formal dress/heels kind of lady and can't wear heals as I have had 6 knee surgeries on one knee and have severe back issues. But at the same time, I want to fit in.

A dressy dress will be fine. You can wear a dressy blouse and slacks or skirt as well. A lot of women wear dressy black pants with silky or sequined tops.

All answers are above in red. Have a wonderful cruise. :D

This link will describe the Royal's dining options:

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Royal-Princess-Offers-Dining-Options-for-Every-Craving.html#.UoAfNGS9LTp

No kettles or steamers; bring your own tea bags or use the free ones onboard; US plugs.

Here's the "Clothing Recommendations" from the Princess FAQs which is a great resource for info.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

"You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men".

Edited by Astro Flyer

1. Can we bring a kettle and clothes steamer for personal use in our room? Adding onto this can we bring our own tea bags and crystal drink mix to add to water?

I can understand the kettle, as we all know they have to make that $2.00 for a cup of tea but not allowing the clothes steams is very odd. Some of my dresses can't be ironed as there is sequin on it but the steamer works. If I bring the steamer and plead ignorance what will happen?

By dinner options, I meant how many different selections will there be to choose from in the dining room.

Edited by cdnphotogirl

I can understand the kettle, as we all know they have to make that $2.00 for a cup of tea but not allowing the clothes steams is very odd. Some of my dresses can't be ironed as there is sequin on it but the steamer works. If I bring the steamer and plead ignorance what will happen?

By dinner options, I meant how many different selections will there be to choose from in the dining room.

Bottom line is NO STEAMERS. They will confiscate. Why would you insist on violating Princess' rules?!?!?!?!

Tea except for those at the International Café are free so I don't understand your point about $2 teas.

Steamers are probably prohibited due to the sensitive nature of shipboard electrical systems. Most items with electrical heaters are not allowed onboard due to fear of fire at sea. If you sneak it onboard & it isn't caught & removed then you may be endangering everyone onboard. Princess has self-serve laundromats which have irons to use for wrinkles.

If you search the board you should find examples of dining room selections. There are rotating daily appetizers (3), soups (2), salad (2), pasta (2), entrees (4 choices of meat, fish & vegetarian) and desserts (3). These change daily & in addition to these there are several "always available" options of each course.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The info on steamers in INCORRECT. Clothes steamers are ok. Travel IRONS are not. What's expressly forbidden is in your passage contract.

Thanks for correcting my presumption because I've read that items with heaters & no auto shutoff function are prohibited.

The info on steamers in INCORRECT. Clothes steamers are ok. Travel IRONS are not. What's expressly forbidden is in your passage contract.

Thanks Cruisin`Chris, I just could not get my head around :confused: the fact that curling irons, straighteners and computers are okay but a small steamer (not iron) for more delicate materials was not allowed.

As for the comment about the $2.00 tea, it was my understanding that there was a charge for it. Guess I will have to investigate further...what beverages are included and what ones are not (besides the obvious pop and alcohol).

Thanks for all you input I really appreciate it. :D

Various juices are free at breakfast

Ice Tea free all day in buffett or during meals in dinning room - Lemonaide also free but not always available.

Coffee and tea free all the time - premium coffees/teas have a charge. By premium I mean coffe served in International cafe and specail items like cappacinno.

Milk free

Glass of water free but charge for bottled water

Thanks Cruisin`Chris, I just could not get my head around :confused: the fact that curling irons, straighteners and computers are okay but a small steamer (not iron) for more delicate materials was not allowed.

As for the comment about the $2.00 tea, it was my understanding that there was a charge for it.

As said, irons are not allowed due to the electrical system. Fire is the #1 safety hazard on a ship. A clothes steamer IS allowed.

Tea is free on all Princess ships. There is a charge for specialty tea in the Piazza.

The Royal Princess has both US and UK plugs at the desk.

ImageUploadedByForums1384143773.706801.jpg.9e2929dcef3e35b6ee872be40e3cd943.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384143783.690522.jpg.890a28d72373b80a9744c6121ee8d188.jpg

Don't be surprised on formal nights to see other people walking around in all manner of attire. I rarely if never eat in the MDR so I don't observe Formal Night on the ship, and instead choose to eat in the other casual dining venues. But I do go into other areas of the ship including the atrium, interior promenade deck, and the shops, but avoid areas like the main showrooms were the dress code is more likely to be adhered to.

This link will describe the Royal's dining options:

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Royal-Princess-Offers-Dining-Options-for-Every-Craving.html#.UoAfNGS9LTp

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men".

My recommendation is to forget the steamer. It was be confiscated and returned to your at the end of the cruise. Irons and steamers are too much of a fire hazard on board a floating ship so pleading ignorance won't work. Just give your evening gown to your cabin steward and he/she will take it down and have it professional steamed in the ship's laundry. When you get back to your cabin it will be nicely hung and ready for wear.

Don't be surprised on formal nights to see other people walking around in all manner of attire. I rarely if never eat in the MDR so I don't observe Formal Night on the ship, and instead choose to eat in the other casual dining venues. But I do go into other areas of the ship including the atrium, interior promenade deck, and the shops, but avoid areas like the main showrooms were the dress code is more likely to be adhered to.

No need to avoid the main showrooms if dressed casually on formal nights. Many men, for example, take off their ties and jackets before going to the show.

No need to avoid the main showrooms if dressed casually on formal nights. Many men, for example, take off their ties and jackets before going to the show.

Nice to know! I honestly just didn't want to offend those who partake of Formal Night as a 'main event' in the MDR and showrooms, and didn't want to distract from that ambiance by not dressing the part.

I take a mini-kettle that has an auto shut off

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-11451-913US-17-Ounce-Electric-Kettle/dp/B00851LRZI/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

We usually have room service breakfast and order extra milk to keep in the refrigerator for when we want tea in our room. You can order tea via room service but I find that the water is not hot enough except for herbal teas.

Formal Night attire is for the MDR's. Smart Casual is ok in any of the other venues including the surcharge venues. You will see all kinds of wear in the MDR on formal night especially if you are in the Caribbean. Never seen anyone turned away except if they are in shorts and a tee shirt. Formal does not apply to evening activities, just the DR. Many passengers change back into casual wear after eating.

Bring whatever tea bags you like. Hot water is available in the buffet all day.