Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

He may not be "dumped" in the next port, but if he is from Indonesia or the Philippines and the ship is cruising in the Caribbean, Europe, AK, etc, he will certainly be put off in a port that is not his homeland. HAL may be responsible for getting him to his home country, but that still may not be his home city/town/village, and he may not have enough money to complete the trip.

No, he would NOT be dumped!! Do you honestly think the UK, US or any other country is going to take responsibility for housing, feeding and onward travel for this guy. Fat chance!

Once he's in his own country it matters not to the cruiseline (or anyone else) if he can actually reach his own doorstep.

The only exception may be if he's arrested for a major crime ie murder - certainly not for petty theft.

No, he would NOT be dumped!! Do you honestly think the UK, US or any other country is going to take responsibility for housing, feeding and onward travel for this guy. Fat chance!
I never said they would, but since the ship is not sailing to Indonesia (for example) to put him off, he will be put off in some port that is not his homeland.

Once he's in his own country it matters not to the cruiseline (or anyone else) if he can actually reach his own doorstep.

I never said they would. I simply said possibly not having the money to get home would be a disincentive to petty theft.

Edited by jtl513

• 2 years later...
DH and I were once very far forward in our cabin assignment. The nearest emergency exit was through the "CREW ONLY" door emergency stairway. When we entered the door, a crew member with his "TRAFFIC DIRECTOR" vest smiled and said, "This way, please." I'm sure he was surprised to even "get" anyone coming his way. There may be more assigned stations than most passengers (who head for the main stairs) may realize.

Also, we have been told during drills that they have a method for checking for passengers attempting to skip the drill. Are there other people, beyond our assigned cabin stewards, who are opening doors and checking bathrooms?[/QUOTE]

I found this old thread & found it quite interesting..

Just got back from a Panama Canal cruise yesterday.. We were far forward & when we were going through the canal the door to the bow about 25 feet from our cabin was open to all Passengers..

We have never had anything stolen on any HAL cruise before & we've done over a dozen of them.. I lock up my Jewelry in the safe, but have left a small camera & a few other things out as I trust the stewards completely..

This trip I put a picture of "Brandy" our dog on our mailbox, so my DH who has a very poor memory, would know which cabin was ours..

I was extremely tired on day one before departure & took a short nap.. DH decided to explore the ship while I napped..He has never done that before! I woke up 45 minutes later & figured he was with our Friends next door..But he was not there & I franticly ran up to the Lido, Crows Nest, Promenade deck, etc... Finally, a wonderful HAL Officer found him wandering the deck Aft & brought him back to me.. The Officer offered to make the picture larger for us, but I said it was fine & thanked him for his concern for DH.. After that I kept a watchful eye on him..

However, the day we went through the canal someone decided they wanted the picture of "Brandy" & believe it or not STOLE it.. LOL I figured it was a child, but our Friends believe it was an adult..

Fortunately I had a different picture of our "Brandy" & replaced it..That stayed on our mailbox..:)

I bolded the last sentence of the above posters post only because one day during a Crew Fire Drill we found a note in our door lock which stated that our cabin had been searched for Psgrs who should have been evacuated.. As mentioned it was during a Crew Fire Drill..

He may not be "dumped" in the next port, but if he is from Indonesia or the Philippines and the ship is cruising in the Caribbean, Europe, AK, etc, he will certainly be put off in a port that is not his homeland. HAL may be responsible for getting him to his home country, but that still may not be his home city/town/village, and he may not have enough money to complete the trip.

This should never be allowed, whether you said it was OK or not! :eek::eek:

Agree with JTL no other Psgr. should ever be permitted in another Psgrs. cabin unless invited in by the guest who is there! I too say :eek::eek::(

Edited by serendipity1499

My husband and I got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on October 23. While we were on the ship, the lady in the stateroom beside of us had a gold bracelet stolen. She, too, searched her cabin several times. She reported this to the Front Office, and they filed a report, but she never heard anything before we got off the ship.

I left my camera in the Piano Bar the last night of our cruise this time. I was distraught...all my cruise photos gone in an instant. When I realized what I'd done, DH went back to the PB...and there it was, still on the table where I'd left it!

Having said that, on our recent NA cruise, I noticed that multiple cabin doors along the hallways were left open...held open with doorstops. In the morning when the stewards were at work...and in the evening during dinner hour (we were on the stern, Upper Verandah Deck). At the time, I didn't think much about it...always trusting the guests on board.

However, a couple years ago on a Maasdam Caribbean cruise, a guest helped themselves to a brand new Wallaroo sun hat I had in the zipped up pouch on my Travel Scoot. :eek:

I would be very, very surprised if it were a cabin steward...they are thrilled to have the jobs they have and "tow the line." I would suspect that if it went missing, a guest walked by your room during the evening turndown service, the door was open, and a guest helped themselves.

I am inclined to think it more likely that a passing passenger would steal something from a cabin with an open door than would a steward. Stewards are checked out before being hired, and no line would tolerate theft by staff --- while they will sell tickets to anyone who can pay. Frankly, I have seen for more anti-social behavior on the part of passengers than by staff.

Are you kidding me if we are sure we brought it with us?? Did I mention I am 60 and not senile yet? My husband had the speaker in his hand and wanted to play the music on our balcony, but I told him not to and I saw him put it on the make up table. Please do not offend me like the front desk people did. I was not trying to blame anyone, I would also be surprised if someone was risking his job for a $180, but as I mentioned, it may have looked like a large jewellery box (fortunately my expensive jewellery was locked up in the safe!). And yes, I am aware that anyone could have walked in, although I also think that is a problem with a cruise security.

I do not generally write reviews about my travels, I wrote this one because of the frustrating and disappointing experience that I wanted to share and as a warning to other travellers.

My assumption is that someone came in while the steward had the door open and snatched your item. Even IF a steward thought your bag contained jewelry I still don't think they'd steal it. Wouldn't be worth risking their job and the ability to support their family for years to come.

And yes ... when reading your original post it did sound like you were accusing the steward of taking your item. I recall you saying something about the tray being left behind because the steward was rushing off with your stolen property. :(

A good lesson learned. Put your valuables away in the safe. Sometimes, I wonder about taking good jewelry since I don't wear it off the ship at all.

We always store valuables out of sight in a cupboard or drawer at the least when we're not in the cabin. Also, I have a bag of lovely costume jewlery I only take on cruises with a big and true sign in it ....

"Attention thief - Everything in this bag is from WALMART" :)

My assumption is that someone came in while the steward had the door open and snatched your item. Even IF a steward thought your bag contained jewelry I still don't think they'd steal it. Wouldn't be worth risking their job and the ability to support their family for years to come.

And yes ... when reading your original post it did sound like you were accusing the steward of taking your item. I recall you saying something about the tray being left behind because the steward was rushing off with your stolen property. :(

Travel_2013 hasn't been on this board since November 2013. Not much to be gained in responding to her posts at this late date. :)

I would like to know if anyone else experienced having anything stolen from their cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam. We sailed on October 27 from Ft Lauderdale to Southern Caribbean. The very first afternoon on the ship some time between the safety drill and dinner time someone stole an item from our cabin. I say stole because I know where it was left and we searched the whole cabin 5 times. It was a Jawbone bluetooth speaker and it was in a velvet pouch, so it may have looked to someone as a jewellery box. My husband left it on the make up table beside the ice bucket when we had to go to the safety drill. After we came back from dinner, the bed was made up, so clearly the cabin stewart was there, but oddly the dirty dishes from my afternoon snack were still on the coffee table. Why would he/she not clean those? Perhaps forgot because he was trying to leave the cabin in a hurry? We reported the loss, but the front desk did not seem to take us very seriously. They said the old people (we are 60 & 62, younger than an average HA passenger) misplace things all the time and should they help us search the cabin, as if we did not search it many times before reporting it. This has been our 7th cruise, first time with HA and we have never had anything stolen before, either on a cruise or on any other vacation, so this was very surprising and upsetting to us, because otherwise we liked everything else about the cruise ship. We always lock the valuables and documents in the safe, but tend to leave the electronics unlocked, as the safe is quite small and my husband likes to bring several cameras, a laptop, I have a kindle, iPad and iPhones. I guess from now on we will be locking everything up, although I've read some threads about things being stolen even from the locked safe.

BTW I am not able to claim the stolen item from my insurance, as my deductible is higher than the item's value.

We sailed on NA 10/23 and my sunglasses and a voucher for a free photo went missing from our cabin. I did report it. What cabin were you in, interested to find out if it was in the same area as us. We were in 8078. I would hate to think our steward did it. We always check our doors before we leave and know they are locked.

I would like to know if anyone else experienced having anything stolen from their cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam. We sailed on October 27 from Ft Lauderdale to Southern Caribbean. The very first afternoon on the ship some time between the safety drill and dinner time someone stole an item from our cabin. I say stole because I know where it was left and we searched the whole cabin 5 times. It was a Jawbone bluetooth speaker and it was in a velvet pouch, so it may have looked to someone as a jewellery box. My husband left it on the make up table beside the ice bucket when we had to go to the safety drill. After we came back from dinner, the bed was made up, so clearly the cabin stewart was there, but oddly the dirty dishes from my afternoon snack were still on the coffee table. Why would he/she not clean those? Perhaps forgot because he was trying to leave the cabin in a hurry? We reported the loss, but the front desk did not seem to take us very seriously. They said the old people (we are 60 & 62, younger than an average HA passenger) misplace things all the time and should they help us search the cabin, as if we did not search it many times before reporting it. This has been our 7th cruise, first time with HA and we have never had anything stolen before, either on a cruise or on any other vacation, so this was very surprising and upsetting to us, because otherwise we liked everything else about the cruise ship. We always lock the valuables and documents in the safe, but tend to leave the electronics unlocked, as the safe is quite small and my husband likes to bring several cameras, a laptop, I have a kindle, iPad and iPhones. I guess from now on we will be locking everything up, although I've read some threads about things being stolen even from the locked safe.

BTW I am not able to claim the stolen item from my insurance, as my deductible is higher than the item's value.

We sailed NA on 10/23 in cabin 8078 and my sunglasses and a photo coupon went missing from our cabin. I reported it and did not want to believe the steward would do that. We always check our doors before leaving. I hate to think these things are going on. What cabin were you in?

My husband and I got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on October 23. While we were on the ship, the lady in the stateroom beside of us had a gold bracelet stolen. She, too, searched her cabin several times. She reported this to the Front Office, and they filed a report, but she never heard anything before we got off the ship.

What cabin were you in??? we were in 8078 and had sunglasses and a coupon for a free photo missing, both reported....

I hate to think these things are going on. What cabin were you in?
Travel_2013's last activity was Nov 26, 2013. It's not likely you're going to get an answer, and it's not likely the same steward(s) would be assigned to the same cabin anyway.

We sailed NA on 10/23 in cabin 8078 and my sunglasses and a photo coupon went missing from our cabin. I reported it and did not want to believe the steward would do that. We always check our doors before leaving. I hate to think these things are going on. What cabin were you in?

You do realize that this resurrected thread dealt with a 2013 sailing and that the OP's last activity on CC was in November 2013?

Edit: Slower sending than you jtl513. :)

Edited by Fouremco

We sailed on NA 10/23 and my sunglasses and a voucher for a free photo went missing from our cabin. I did report it. What cabin were you in, interested to find out if it was in the same area as us. We were in 8078. I would hate to think our steward did it. We always check our doors before we leave and know they are locked.

That's the reason why I mentioned this was an OLD THREAD (three years),which I brought forward.. (my post No. 178 Page 9 of this thread)..

I was going to start a new thread but after reading all the posts I thought it would be an excellent reminder for everyone to be aware of leaving jewelry, electronics & camera's etc out for anyone to take..

Years ago, we had a cruises out of Miami on NCL.. I placed our camera over the extended pull handle of a piece of luggage while we were checking out of our hotel..While our backs were turned someone stole that camera.. We waited until we got to St. Thomas to buy another one..

In my wildest dreams, I never thought that anyone would steal a photo but they did on this past cruise..

I admit to going on old threads & have started to post before reading all the other posts.. Now I try to check dates before posting..

We were in room 7014. I will say I do not think our stateroom attendants would have taken anything. We left cameras and phones out during the entire cruise but they cleaned on several rooms at a time, leaving the doors propped open.

Our room was located close to the front of the ship and the day we went through the Panama Canal the door leading out to the front of the ship was opened for viewing of the canal. Therefore, a lot of people passed through our hallway. Anyone could have taken the lady's bracelet.

Back in 1993, I knew a passenger was doing a segment of the Orient Cruise. She was leaving the ship in Singapore. That morning she reported to the Front Office that some money was missing from her cabin. Not much, about 100 guilders. She went ballistic! Blamed her cabin steward. Well, the whole ship knew what she thought about the steward and Holland America. The guilders were missing, but the other money in US$ was on the table with a lot of money, tickets, travel docs etc. Just the missing 100 guilders. It didn't make sense.

Three months later I was back on the ship for the Christmas cruise. A lot of us from the Orient were back fir the Christmas cruise.... including the passenger who lost her money when leaving Singapore. While talking in 'the Office'.... The Oceaan Bar, we mentioned the money missing from the earlier cruise. She very casually said, "Oh that, I found it in my suitcase when I got back home." She never said anything about it and never apologized to HAL or anyone else. She just dismissed it. Disgusting.

We were in room 7014. I will say I do not think our stateroom attendants would have taken anything. We left cameras and phones out during the entire cruise but they cleaned on several rooms at a time, leaving the doors propped open.

Our room was located close to the front of the ship and the day we went through the Panama Canal the door leading out to the front of the ship was opened for viewing of the canal. Therefore, a lot of people passed through our hallway. Anyone could have taken the lady's bracelet.

We just got off the Zuiderdam & our room was also close to the open door to the bow..We have never lost anything before but as you mentioned the day we went through the canal someone took the picture of our dog off our mailbox.. I had it there for a reason but fortunately had another one to replace it..

Back in 1993, I knew a passenger was doing a segment of the Orient Cruise. She was leaving the ship in Singapore. That morning she reported to the Front Office that some money was missing from her cabin. Not much, about 100 guilders. She went ballistic! Blamed her cabin steward. Well, the whole ship knew what she thought about the steward and Holland America. The guilders were missing, but the other money in US$ was on the table with a lot of money, tickets, travel docs etc. Just the missing 100 guilders. It didn't make sense.

Three months later I was back on the ship for the Christmas cruise. A lot of us from the Orient were back fir the Christmas cruise.... including the passenger who lost her money when leaving Singapore. While talking in 'the Office'.... The Oceaan Bar, we mentioned the money missing from the earlier cruise. She very casually said, "Oh that, I found it in my suitcase when I got back home." She never said anything about it and never apologized to HAL or anyone else. She just dismissed it. Disgusting.

Agree it was Disgusting!

SIZE]

Not many people start reading threads at post #178.

Well I would normally go back to see why a three year old thread was brought forth again.. It was only a couple of pages..

I'm amazed that others would not wonder the same thing.. Especially because of the title of this thread.. I read every post before posting on it.. :)

Maybe I'm just different..

I think that this thread demonstrates that we always need to be vigilant when traveling. While it is wise to secure valuables against loss, you just never know what someone else will deem worthy enough to take - as a pic of a dog demonstrates.

While I don't think you should immediately point fingers at the crew for a lost item, it is naive to believe that crew would never steal. Fact is that in the US employee theft and fraud costs companies over a billion dollars each year, and is growing. It is estimated that nearly 20% of employees know of an employee who is stealing or committing fraudulently activities while at work. I see little reason to believe that the cruise industry is exempt from these sobering stats.

I have never had anything stolen on a HA cruise. I left my small purse in the main dining room after dinner one evening. My waiter had it returned to my cabin (he was still busy working) by another crew member. Then next evening, he asked me if my purse was returned. The small wallet inside still had all the money. I side with others in this thread and doubt it was one of the cabin stewards.

I have had something stolen - our camera on my favourite ship. The camera I could let go of but the memory card hadn't been downloaded. [sigh] All the pics were lost despite signs posted just asking for the memory card back.

It was NOT stolen by crew but by a passenger. DH accidentally left it in the Oak Room when we went to dinner. Realized it in two minutes and tore back. The "gentleman" in the chair refused to move and said it wasn't there.

Ironically on the same cruise a passenger left his Ipad at the Lido pool and it was turned in immediately by a crew member.

I hate to say it, but it's not the crew you need to worry about..........

I have had something stolen - our camera on my favourite ship. The camera I could let go of but the memory card hadn't been downloaded. [sigh] All the pics were lost despite signs posted just asking for the memory card back.

It was NOT stolen by crew but by a passenger. DH accidentally left it in the Oak Room when we went to dinner. Realized it in two minutes and tore back. The "gentleman" in the chair refused to move and said it wasn't there.

Ironically on the same cruise a passenger left his Ipad at the Lido pool and it was turned in immediately by a crew member.

Completely agree & I remember that incident..And I too have never worried about the crew..

I figured that a child wanted the picture but my Friend thinks an adult actually took it from our mailbox the day we went through the canal, when the door to the bow was open....Why anyone would want a pic of a dog that was not their's is beyond me..I had it there so DH could find our cabin..

Unfortunately, you cannot apply a blanket statement to either side. I once caught our cabin steward going through the drawers in our cabin when I unexpectedly returned to get my glasses after going to dinner. An unpleasant incident ensued while he tried to cover up. Yes, I reported it. I did not see him again and left it to his superiors to deal with.

Just like the "real" world, there are bad people everywhere. Sad but true.