Big Mess at Premier Parking Miami

fishywood

I hate to pass on the usual negativity from our "if it bleeds, it leads" local news...but heads up to anyone who left their car at Premier:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/11/11/cruise-ship-passengers-left-stranded-after-car-keys-go-missing/

I'm certinly hoping Premier Parking Ventures & Premier Cruise Parking are not the same company. I have before and booked again with Global Airport Parking. They use Premier Cruise Parking. Different address than the one on the news report, and NOT valet.

It's a sad news report.

I'm certinly hoping Premier Parking Ventures & Premier Cruise Parking are not the same company. I have before and booked again with Global Airport Parking. They use Premier Cruise Parking. Different address than the one on the news report, and NOT valet.

It's a sad news report.

You are missing the point which is you are taking your chances not parking at the port.

Miami has so much horrible crime that it no longer makes national news. This morning there was a suicidal gunman that closed down I-95 and the turnpike and do you think it made national news? No. Miami is a crooked, seedy town.

It has been posted over and over on the Eastern Departures board. You ARE NOT DEALING with a company. You are dealing with a website/booking agent who goes out and finds a local person or company to rent parking space from. The website/booking agent has NO liability/NO responsibility because it is actually a THIRD PARTY running the actual parking operation and signing the contracts for parking space. There are MANY names for this company and many websites. But they own nothing. As far as anyone has produced so far, they don't even have contracts with the lots cars are parked in. That responsibility is up to the THIRD PARTY.

The Bayonne operation posts notices in the warehouses around the piers looking for "part time" drivers. Show up, drive a van. And the vans are generally rented on a DAILY basis from airport rental services. I own a trucking company that operates in that Bayonne port area almost every day of the week. My drivers have seen the notices. I have also made an exhaustive search to find DOT/MC numbers for a PASSENGER operation which REQUIRES $5,000,000 in liability insurance. NEVER found it under any of the many names. My drivers have talked to some of the guys who have driven the vans on the weekends. One guy had a suspended license for parking tickets and other minor traffic violations. To drive a 10 passenger van, you MUST have a CDL (commercial drivers license). Most don't-just a plain old drivers license.

Read some of the extensive posts about insurance and lack of proper authority to operate this operation they way they are doing it on the East Coast departures board.

Good luck to those whose keys were lost. But don't hold your breath on compensation. I would seriously doubt you will get much more than some vouchers for FUTURE parking.

It has been posted over and over on the Eastern Departures board. You ARE NOT DEALING with a company. You are dealing with a website/booking agent who goes out and finds a local person or company to rent parking space from. The website/booking agent has NO liability/NO responsibility because it is actually a THIRD PARTY running the actual parking operation and signing the contracts for parking space. There are MANY names for this company and many websites. But they own nothing. As far as anyone has produced so far, they don't even have contracts with the lots cars are parked in. That responsibility is up to the THIRD PARTY.

The Bayonne operation posts notices in the warehouses around the piers looking for "part time" drivers. Show up, drive a van. And the vans are generally rented on a DAILY basis from airport rental services. I own a trucking company that operates in that Bayonne port area almost every day of the week. My drivers have seen the notices. I have also made an exhaustive search to find DOT/MC numbers for a PASSENGER operation which REQUIRES $5,000,000 in liability insurance. NEVER found it under any of the many names. My drivers have talked to some of the guys who have driven the vans on the weekends. One guy had a suspended license for parking tickets and other minor traffic violations. To drive a 10 passenger van, you MUST have a CDL (commercial drivers license). Most don't-just a plain old drivers license.

Read some of the extensive posts about insurance and lack of proper authority to operate this operation they way they are doing it on the East Coast departures board.

Good luck to those whose keys were lost. But don't hold your breath on compensation. I would seriously doubt you will get much more than some vouchers for FUTURE parking.

I have tried, and tried, and tried to explain how bad these parking companies are and how crooked Miami is and someone always comes along and tells what a happy experience they had.

People will do anything to save $30 to buy another couple drinks of the day on their cruise.

You are missing the point which is you are taking your chances not parking at the port.

Miami has so much horrible crime that it no longer makes national news. This morning there was a suicidal gunman that closed down I-95 and the turnpike and do you think it made national news? No. Miami is a crooked, seedy town.

There was an extremely unfortunate incident with a suicidal veteran today in Davie. Why should that make national news? It's not a horrible crime, just an incident that happened.

I'm certinly hoping Premier Parking Ventures & Premier Cruise Parking are not the same company.

There was a thread here a while ago ..they are 2 different companies close to each other

The good one should change their name to avoid getting the bad reputation;)

I have tried, and tried, and tried to explain how bad these parking companies are and how crooked Miami is and someone always comes along and tells what a happy experience they had....

Yes, you have. But people won't listen. According to channel 4 news tonight, police have been called to that parking lot 8 times this week for things like hit & runs and break-ins.

greatam, did you mean 5 million or 1/2 million?

To have an ACTIVE DOT/MC (motor carrier) number issued by FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration-the government) transportation companies NOT hauling passengers (just freight) are REQUIRED to have $1,000,000 in liability insurance and up to $100,000 in cargo insurance at a minimum depending on what the commodities you haul are (there is an exemption for under 26,000 pound trucks but that not the norm).

ANY company hauling PASSENGERS for HIRE in a 9-15 passenger vehicles or larger (which is the case of rental car agencies, hotel bus services, tour companies AND PARKING LOT shuttle buses) are REQUIRED to have a US DOT/MC and FIVE MILLION dollars worth of liability insurance.

Any company also hauling haz mat materials (and this even includes things like vanilla in 1/2 gallon containers -commercial vanilla in restaurant size containers is considered haz mat due to the flammability of the alcohol content) are also REQUIRED to have FIVE MILLION dollars of public liability insurance. We are primarily a food hauling company. We have refused to haul vanilla and certain other food products (some types of baking flour in 50 pound bags are considered haz mat because they are "oxidizers"-those with baking soda in them particularly) just because the US government has labeled them haz mat and I am not paying for FIVE MILLION liability insurance for each truck just because we may occasionally haul a pallet of vanilla or someone's Bisquick type product.

Here are the rules and exemptions direct off the FMCSA website:

Examples of for-hire transportation of passengers include intercity bus service, charter bus service, canoe rental company bus service, and hotel bus service.

Business PMCPs

Business PMCPs provide private transportation of passengers in the furtherance of a commercial purpose.

Examples of business PMCPs include:

Companies that use buses to transport their own employees, or professional musicians who own or lease buses and employ drivers for concert tour related transportation.

A company or entity that provides passenger transportation services to a separate purchasing party is not a business PMCP.

A touring entertainer who procures the transportation services of a for-hire passenger carrier is not a business PMCP.

Non-business PMCPs

Non-business PMCPs provide private transportation of passengers that is not in the furtherance of a commercial purpose.

Examples of non-business PMCPs include churches, private schools, scout groups, and other organizations that may purchase or lease buses for the private transportation of their respective groups.

PLEASE NOTE: Take particular note of #2 in the Business PMCP section. Parking lot buses/vans that provide passenger transportation service to the GENERAL PUBLIC are NOT BUSINESS PMCP's, although this is how Premier Parking is trying to skirt the rules.

As I posted previously over and over on the East Coast departures board, there has never been any proof that any of the numerous "Premier Parking"/Cruise Parking, etc. etc. websites that purport to provide off site cruise parking are complying in any way shape or form with FMCSA rules. The vans are rented on a daily basis in Bayonne from local rental car agencies. I GUARANTEE the very best rental car agency insurance DOES NOT cover COMMERCIAL enterprises. It is in writing in the fine print in all rental car agency contracts.

IF there is an accident in the parking lot, vandalized vehicles or worse case scenario, an accident with serious injuries with the shuttles, you would be VERY hard pressed to find someone who actually has insurance to cover. There will be finger pointing all around-"you should have had insurance", "no, you should have had insurance" and those who are injured in any way will just be left to their own devices.

I've said my peace. This operation is no more than a "gypsy" cab operation where you use the family car to transport passengers for hire to make a few extra bucks. Caveat Emptor

To have an ACTIVE DOT/MC (motor carrier) number issued by FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration-the government) transportation companies NOT hauling passengers (just freight) are REQUIRED to have $1,000,000 in liability insurance and up to $100,000 in cargo insurance at a minimum depending on what the commodities you haul are (there is an exemption for under 26,000 pound trucks but that not the norm).

ANY company hauling PASSENGERS for HIRE in a 9-15 passenger vehicles or larger (which is the case of rental car agencies, hotel bus services, tour companies AND PARKING LOT shuttle buses) are REQUIRED to have a US DOT/MC and FIVE MILLION dollars worth of liability insurance.

Great post! One question...Who is responsible for enforcement?

There was an extremely unfortunate incident with a suicidal veteran today in Davie. Why should that make national news? It's not a horrible crime, just an incident that happened.

You don't think it is national news that a Vietnam Veteran was so tragically depressed and suicidal on Veterans Day that he hopped on an overpass with booze and a loaded rifle, shut down TWO major interstates for three hours? That SWAT teams were called out?

You prove my point that Miami is so decensitized about these horrible things that they no longer make the national news.

That poor man is an epic fail on so many levels.

Miami is a great place.

I was there yesterday on my bicycle.

I rode all over downtown.

This was after dropping off my DD at the NCL Sky.

I parked on Biscayne Blvd. Rode to marlins park and back.

Then went to Mary Brickel Village to drink.

I never park at the port of miami, I take the train.

Edited by fireofficer5

You don't think it is national news that a Vietnam Veteran was so tragically depressed and suicidal on Veterans Day that he hopped on an overpass with booze and a loaded rifle, shut down TWO major interstates for three hours? That SWAT teams were called out?

You prove my point that Miami is so decensitized about these horrible things that they no longer make the national news.

That poor man is an epic fail on so many levels.

Since it happened in Davie, Fl, what does is have to do with Miami???? And more importantly, what does this heartbreaking story have to do with keys being taken or left in a pile in a parking lot?

As my son is about to graduate college and commission into the Army as a 1st LT, this story was extremely upsetting for me. So using me as an example of how Miami is decensitized is bit insulting.

Tragic things happen all over the country, things worse than this story and they don't make national news. And none of this has anything to do with the story at hand.

As far as the topic at hand, I hope that all the cruisers that used the party lot get their keys back. It's unfortunate, but using off site parking in any major city is always a risk. Tampa and Orlando have their fair share of terrible areas and I wouldn't park offsite in many areas there either.

The area around the port is fine on some streets during daylight hours but not fine during the night. What has been going on in this parking lot lately is unfortunately a really good example of why parking at the port is worth the extra cost.

To drive a 10 passenger van, you MUST have a CDL (commercial drivers license). Most don't-just a plain old drivers license.

NOT TRUE!!!!!

To operate a vehicle with over 14 passenger (plus driver) requires a CDL with a passenger endorsement.

Until you add the 15th passenger (plus driver) you do not need a CDL unless the GVW is over 26,000 pounds.

I'm not going to tell you anything about operating a truck, but I can tell you all you need to know about buses, as it is what I need to know for my job.

Exactly. There was horrific accident (and it was an accident that was unpreventable) a town over from me last night that killed two and injured a third. It's not on CNN. Stuff happens all the time that doesn't make the national news.

Leaving your keys with a offsite parking facility is foolish. I use other offsite lots and would never leave my keys with any of them if asked.

I agree

If they want my keys I go someplace else

We used Embassy Suites ...so it cost a bit more for a taxi to the port my car was fine for the month we were gone

Or maybe the vandals just do not like Audis ;)

I have tried, and tried, and tried to explain how bad these parking companies are and how crooked Miami is and someone always comes along and tells what a happy experience they had.

People will do anything to save $30 to buy another couple drinks of the day on their cruise.

I bet most of the people who parked there never heard of you :rolleyes:

They just reported live from the parking lot. There are still 17 car owners on cruises and they have new keys for them.

they have keys for those who couldn't get into their cars yesterday. They will be reimbursing anyone who had expenses from yesterday from rental cars on. They have keys for them now, unfortunately everyone has to go back and get their cars.

It's a sad news report.

They are not the same company...besides, I would never leave my car with a valet company, especially in Miami. We, too, use Global and park at garage on 2nd Ave. Never had a problem...using them in Feb.

Edited by 2flacruisers

They are not the same company...besides, I would never leave my car with a valet company, especially in Miami. We, too, use Global and park at garage on 2nd Ave. Never had a problem...using them in Feb.

Thanks, I was begining to think I was alone and possibly crazy.:D I would not leave my keys with a valet.

For the person who thinks it's just a $30.00 savings not parking at the port. If it were only $30.00....

My next cruise the difference in parking at the port and parking with Global... $143.00

As for Miami being such a horrible place, crap happens everywhere. That's why I have insurance and try to be aware and careful.

Edited by debnjoe1438