Hobart/Tasmania: Foodie Thrills, Port Arthur Visit?

TLCOhio

In preparing for our Jan. 20-Feb. 3 Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise, I am digging deeper on our options for Hobart, Port Arthur, etc. during our stop there, 8 am-6 pm on Thursday, Jan. 23. We have a group of seven couples from Central Ohio and want to research in advance in order to make the best, smartest decisions. We have lined up with Judy from Eye See Personalised Tours to do our "things", but with a private tour we have more flexibility than average to adjust and adapt to fit our specific interests.

Right now, the plan is to do Port Arthur and its old, historic site, have a wonderful picnic lunch in that area, then visiting Bonorong Wildlife Center. Most in our group like variety, nature, scenic sights, wildlife, etc. Have already done lots of museum and arts things in Europe, etc. What other key thoughts, reactions, opinions, experiences, etc., can others share with us for Hobart and Tasmania? Also, ideas on getting a little sampling for the Tasmania "foodie" stuff that seems like great interests and fun. See the super interesting article detailed below.

From the NZ Herald in Auckland today, they have this headline: "Tasmania: From gate to plate" with these highlights: "Tasmania is no place to come for anyone planning to diet. New Zealanders think Tasmania is just like New Zealand. That is, until they go there. Our histories couldn't be more different - no one was sent to New Zealand as a punishment. I'd have been as naughty as anything if I knew I'd be sent to Tassie. I'm a foodie New Zealander - we pride ourselves on our great food, but there's plenty to admire - make that envy - in Tasmania. It's a miracle every Tasmanian isn't a ten tonne tubby. The produce is astounding and the producers are just so darned proud and passionate about it. These farmers and growers have become a tourist attraction in their own right - visitors drive around the island state clutching a copy of The Farm Gate Guide to help them hunt down goat farms that produce specialty cheeses and ice creams, pick your own fruit orchards, microbreweries and meaderies like Seven Sheds, endless vineyards, farm shops, and more. Some of these artisan farmers and producers are Tasmanian born and bred, but many have moved from other parts of the world. Chocolatier Belgian Igor saw the potential in that creamy Tasmanian milk and has created a seriously good chocolate factory just down the road from the ferry terminal - ideal for arriving passengers needing a little perking up. House of Anvers is the perfect perking place with great coffee and very superior baked everything. A repeat visit is highly recommended for the steak pie with the shatteringly crisp pastry - the deep, dark and dangerously good gravy turns out to have chocolate as the secret ingredient. Whether they grow strawberries or spinach, breed hairy pigs, make buffalo mozzarella or quince marmalade, cinnamon honey or walnut pesto, brew beer or make wine, Tasmanians just can't help loving what they are doing, and it shows. Something in the soil, and the climate and the air makes everything grow there with extra verve and colour and taste. It's always frustrating being a New Zealander not being able to take foody stuff home, but we can take recipes. Their 'To Market, To Market' cooking course takes you shopping so you can buy pinkeyes, rabbit fillets, nasturtium flowers, or whatever takes your fancy, then trittrot back to the inn and learn how to deal with it all. Herbaceous Tours in Hobart take you through the farm gate to meet the personalities behind Tasmania's award-winning produce."

Any serious "foodies" where this info/background on Tasmania gets you really excited? Like any of these ideas and options for Tasmania with our limited time there? Added suggestions/opinions?

Too little time? Too much to do in this port stop?

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=11156331

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 124,070 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

A lot of foodie stuff is very near the wharf. The city is right beside, and then you have Port Arthur for a day trip, or many other attractions. More what you prefer to do.

kaseyoz: I am sure the drive to port Arthur and time spent there will take up a good chunk of your day.

MicCanberra: I am sure you will enjoy Hobart and it's delights to the full.

Appreciate these added comments' date=' insights. BUT, was hoping for a little more reactions and details on Port Arthur, the drive there for what we will see and experience, Bonorong Wildlife Center, etc. The quality, loves, dislikes, etc., associated with these options. [b'] Look forward to hearing more. [/b]

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 124,167 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Port Arthur is quite an eerie place. You really do get a feeling of some of the horrors of convict life. I've only been there once, before the awful massacre that occurred there that led to strict gun control in Australia. We will be in Hobart on Sunday on a cruise but will be limiting it to Hobart, Salamanca place and Mt Wellington. Constitution wharf is itself interesting to see.

If you want to read a novel about convict life then try read a copy of Marcus Clarke's "For the Term of his Natural Life".

I think Hobart has the second deepest port in the world?

I may get flamed for this, but as Port Arthur is quite a drive and also relates specifically to Australian history - I would give it a miss. Yes I have been there and whilst it is very interesting and we enjoyed our day there, I'm not too sure, as an overseas visitor, if you would get a lot from the day.

I would suggest a trip to the wildlife park that you have already mentioned (have not been there, however have seen our native animals in the wild and zoos). Then drive to Richmond - quaint old town - lots of great local foods served in restaurants, then back along the Derwent River (west side) to Hobart and a must is a trip up Mount Wellington - gives magnificent views over the city of Hobart and surrounds. We had snow up there when we were there a few weeks ago. Trip can be done in reverse, depending on the weather - best to do Mt Wellington without cloud cover if possible.

My husband and I visit Tasmania alot and always stay in Hobart to visit my sister.

Port Arthur is a great place to visit, even if you aren't Australian.

The scenery is wonderful and history very interesting.

You might find a few hours isn't really enough to truly get the full experience.

I have booked the Tasman Island cruise.

We tried to do it this June, but the weather was too rough.

I have done the Bruny Island cruise before (same company) and it was an exciting, fantastic trip.

Make sure you bring some sea sick pills just in case it is a bit rough.

A great place to eat is Pasha's Cafe. Almost worth the trip to Hobart to eat there. Try the lamb cutlets....best I have ever tried. A good 10-15 min walk from Elizabeth St wharf.

Fish Frenzy on Elizabeth St wharf is also a great place to eat. Their seafood chowder is filling and delicious. Fish and chips come out in a cone of paper ...also very nice.

Another really great place to eat is the Drunken Admiral. Very rustic, nautical atmosphere and big servings.

I am sure whatever you choose to do, you will have a great time in Hobart.

I only wish we were staying there longer!

My husband and I visit Tasmania alot and always stay in Hobart to visit my sister.

Port Arthur is a great place to visit, even if you aren't Australian.

The scenery is wonderful and history very interesting.

You might find a few hours isn't really enough to truly get the full experience.

I have booked the Tasman Island cruise.

We tried to do it this June, but the weather was too rough.

I have done the Bruny Island cruise before (same company) and it was an exciting, fantastic trip.

Make sure you bring some sea sick pills just in case it is a bit rough.

A great place to eat is Pasha's Cafe. Almost worth the trip to Hobart to eat there. Try the lamb cutlets....best I have ever tried. A good 10-15 min walk from Elizabeth St wharf.

Fish Frenzy on Elizabeth St wharf is also a great place to eat. Their seafood chowder is filling and delicious. Fish and chips come out in a cone of paper ...also very nice.

Another really great place to eat is the Drunken Admiral. Very rustic, nautical atmosphere and big servings.

I am sure whatever you choose to do, you will have a great time in Hobart.

I only wish we were staying there longer!

I agree that this is a great day out, it does get very cold (even on hot days) as you go fairly quick over the water to hit the southern ocean, so wear warm clothes. They hand out ginger tablets prior to the cruise, think more of a jet boat, at least they did with the Yellow Boat company (can't remember the exact name). well worth a visit.:D

As a tasmanian I hope i can give you some tips on visiting our lovely stae.

Port Arthur is a fascinating place to visit, as for the travel to Port Arthur a lot of the regiom was devastated by fires last year, so still a lot of scorched black earth to see, a lot of redeveloping building happening. It is quite a pituresque drive normally, with the tesselated beach, the blowhole, devils kitchen and Tasman arch ( all naturally occuring ) on the way to port arth. If you were to stop and look at these places along the way the trip will take you a good 9- 100 min from hobart, do that return and you have 3 hours from your day.

The Port Arthur site has a lot to offer, depending on the pass you purchase you can either buy your own at the cafe or have it privided in the cost of you pass, the gold pass also provides morning and arvo teas too I think. My family spent two full days going around the site, including isle of the dead, the point Puer boys prison ,. so their is alot to see, not sure if possible in your time frame//

I f staying closer to hobart, there is the shot tower at Taroona ( around 20 min from warf) well worth a drive, and if Zoo/ wilslife parks are of interest then Zoo Doo at Richmond is the better of the two, they do their own little safari where you ride around in a jeep and feed the animals, good fun!! You would also get a look at richmond which is a lovely historic town, the bakery their does delicious food too.

Personally I think Port Arthur wouls be to much of a stretch time wise and leave you frustrated at not being able to get around it all.

Just my two cents worth:)

cheers maree

I agree totally with Maree, as I am also a Tasmanian. Port Arthur whilst lovely and historic needs a lot of time to get the true feel for it. Can you do it in a day? Yes you can. Will you see it all? No you won't. However, if you want a sneak peek it may be worth it. Also remember that if the weather is bad the drive may take longer as our road are pretty hard to drive if it is raining or icy.

I agree totally with Maree, as I am also a Tasmanian. Port Arthur whilst lovely and historic needs a lot of time to get the true feel for it. Can you do it in a day? Yes you can. Will you see it all? No you won't. However, if you want a sneak peek it may be worth it. Also remember that if the weather is bad the drive may take longer as our road are pretty hard to drive if it is raining or icy.

While I agree with you both, I think as Terry is an international guest, that Port Arthur, and the various sights along the way, offers the best tourist attraction in that part of Tasmania. As such, it will be a long day to get everything in. I think he is best served by doing a Ship's tour (if they offer it) to get as much of the sights in as possible without fear of the ship sailing without him.:D

We visited Port Arthur earlier this year and were very disappointed with it. We'd heard so much about it before so perhaps we were expecting too much. We come from one of the ports in UK where convicts were shipped to Aus & Tas, so we had a lot of background info. It is a large area to look round, withextensive grounds and a lot of ruins. One of the main disappointments was the Convict bit where you were given a card to follow YOUR convict & his sentence, my person´s information disappeared after about 2 stops & even searching the internet later didn´t help me find out what happened to him. The gift shop was also a let down as was the overcrowded and over

priced restaurant. We were just a small group of about 8 people with a guide

Sandy in Spain

We visited Port Arthur earlier this year and were very disappointed with it. We'd heard so much about it before so perhaps we were expecting too much. We come from one of the ports in UK where convicts were shipped to Aus & Tas, so we had a lot of background info. It is a large area to look round, withextensive grounds and a lot of ruins. One of the main disappointments was the Convict bit where you were given a card to follow YOUR convict & his sentence, my person´s information disappeared after about 2 stops & even searching the internet later didn´t help me find out what happened to him. The gift shop was also a let down as was the overcrowded and over

priced restaurant. We were just a small group of about 8 people with a guide

Sandy in Spain

That is a shame your excursion was a let down. I hope you let the appropriate people know via some feedback so that they can improve it in the future.:D

Terry

Tasmania has a very good reputation for excellent quality wine -- it is probably a little more expensive than much of the wine made on the mainland, but seeing as how you are going to have a "wonderful picnic lunch" in the Port Arthur area , just make sure that you have some decent (and fair dinkum) Tassie wine to go with it. http://www.winetasmania.com.au/

As for Tasmanian beer -- there are a couple of "good" commerical breweries that "normal" people say make good beer -- but, for beer snobs (like myself), there are a number of micro-breweries down there doing some great things eg http://www.foodtourist.com/ftguide/Content/I6348.htm

one day in Tasmania??? - may as well have one day in Alaska !! :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Tasmania's smaller. :D:D

There is still far too much to see and do, the best thing for terry to do is decide exactly what he wants to do/see (history/ wildlife/ scenery or a mixture of all) and then see if it can be accommodated in the one day through either a ship's tour or privately. :D

Having just come back from our cruise on the lovely Oosterdam to Hobart, I can say that the Americans on the cruise seemed to live Bonorong wildlife park, including the night visit. I myself find Port Arthur interesting, and as one of the previous posters said, creepy, but couldn't say it was of overwhelming interest to all.

On this occasion I took the ferry to MONA, and it was just fantastic. It is a must see for any art lover, full of fabulous contemporary art, and also attached to a winery, so it has a very pleasant wine bar about half way through, just when you feel like a wee something. The architecture inside the museum is also outstanding. The ferry goes from along the harbour where all the boat trips are, you cannot miss the ticket office. Across the road is the Harbour Lights Cafe that has super coffee.