Royal Caribbean Announces Allure of the Seas Will Undergo Repairs in February 2014

NBCNewsGuy

I fit were me, I would cruise the Freedom out of Port Canaveral!

Hi guys, unlucky enough to have booked our honeymoon cruise on the feb 23rd sailing :(

no word from RC by email or otherwise.

Any suggestions as to what we need to / should do about this?

Already have a a fair amount of it paid of, and have flights booked and paid for into FL around the cruise times!

disappointed! (maybe its a sign! :D )

You guys are really quite familiar with azipods. I take comfort in knowing that if we get shipwrecked, you can build us a new cruise ship out of coconuts.

That's very Funny! :D:D:D:D Cruise Critic does have some very talented and knowledgeable members! ;)

Just an FYI- what one cruise line- sees this unscheduled repair as an opportunity.

As a Travel Agency Owner- I received this message from "NCL- Norwegian Cruise Line" at 3:18 PM PST today:

Dear Kenneth B.,

We just received notice that the Allure of the Seas was cancelled for February 23rd, 2014 and a full refund has been offered to guests. Norwegian Cruise Line would love to support these displaced travelers who may be able to get a better cabin for the same or less money.

Our newest ship, Norwegian Getaway sails from Miami doing an eastern Caribbean itinerary on February 22nd. The lead in rate is currently $749.00

Also, Norwegian Epic, winner of Travel Weekly's Best Overall Ship two years running is sailing a western Caribbean itinerary with a lead in rate of $549.00

Travel Partners can also offer "perks" because our Cruise Event sale is on. Please contact us at sales@ncl.com or contact your BDM or BDS for further information.

Click here to view Norwegian Getaway 7-Day Eastern Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view Norwegian Epic 7-Day Western Caribbean, Round-trip Miami

Click here to view our Cruise Event Week offer

I hope you agree that this is a great opportunity to introduce guests to Norwegian Cruise Line!!!

Best,

Camille Olivere

Senior Vice President Sales

Norwegian Cruise Line

First this is tacky on NCL's part. Second they sound desperate and last NCL has nothing that can compete with Allure.

Am I the only one who find's Cruise Critic's article on the topic confusing? Cruise Critic is saying that they're also swapping the drydocks of Oasis and Allure, which I didn't see in RCI's announcement unless I missed something? :confused:

Royal Caribbean Sets Repair Date for Largest Ship, Cancels Cruise

(8:00 a.m. EST) -- Royal Caribbean will swap the scheduled dry docks for its two largest ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, to undertake repairs to Allure's propulsion system.

The line said it is scratching Allure of the Seas' February 23, 2014, scheduled sailing, and sending Allure to the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, Bahamas, for repairs to one of the ship's three propulsion motors. Bearing wear in the central propulsion "pod" has kept the ship from reaching top speeds in recent weeks.

The move was widely speculated on this week after Royal Caribbean's chairman and CEO, Richard Fain admitted the line was considering whether Allure should take the week-long dry dock slot in 2014 that had been planned for sister ship Oasis of the Seas instead of its planned dry dock in 2015.

In a statement, Royal Caribbean said that it was important to bring Allure "back up to speed … and fix the problem as soon as possible."

"All three motors are fully operational," the statement read, "and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of guests and crew.

"However, since the rate of … wear is directly related to ship speed, the ship's top speed has been limited. This … will ensure that all three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed."

The ship's propulsion problems have also shortened port calls and increased travel time on its recent Eastern Caribbean itineraries. And according to the line, the "minor adjustments" to itineraries will continue until the ship goes in for repair.

"Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.," on its Eastern Caribbean itineraries. There will be no changes to Allure's Western Caribbean itineraries.

Royal Caribbean said that passengers sailing on the cancelled cruise in February would receive a full refund or the option to sail on "select itineraries" at the same rate they'd originally paid for their fares.

The 5,400-passenger, 225,000-ton Allure of the Seas holds the record as the world's largest cruise ship, along with sister ship Oasis of the Seas.

--by Jamey Bergman, U.K. Production Editor

Richard Fain stated that they were exploring the option of switching.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/allure-under-consideration-for-2014-docking-to-resolve-propulsion-issue.html

Edited by cruisingator2

I would definitely select Celebrity. I believe that Celebeity Silouhette sails out of FLL on Sunday. I love Allure and will be sailing on it again in January, but Celebrity is still my favorite cruise line and I think the Solstice Class ships (Silouhette is one of them) are the most beautiful cruise ships sailing today. By the way, Royal Princess has been getting consistently bad reviews.

Another vote for Celebrity and the Silhouette.:):)

First this is tacky on NCL's part. Second they sound desperate and last NCL has nothing that can compete with Allure.

Yes they do Gordon there is the NCL with the brain tumor on top then there is the NCL? and how about the NCL? hmmm believe you are right. I also think what NCL did was pretty tacky so much for ethics.. Hope your doing well Gordon.

I know, still cant figure how RCI think its ok to do that direct swap. if we were to get out full refund and book the 6 night in Indy ourselves it would be saving us 300 euros.

Based on that, we are giving RCI the door and have a 7 night cruise on celebrity silhoutte on hold for 24 hours in a congiere class cabin on deck 9. (a nice bit cheaper too!)

as first time cruisers we will have nothing to compare it with.

going on any RCI would only be a reminder of this royal mess so going to move on. how long does it take to get refunded?

Now to got a few reviews read on the celebrity before we confirm.

I know, still cant figure how RCI think its ok to do that direct swap. if we were to get out full refund and book the 6 night in Indy ourselves it would be saving us 300 euros.

Based on that, we are giving RCI the door and have a 7 night cruise on celebrity silhoutte on hold for 24 hours in a congiere class cabin on deck 9. (a nice bit cheaper too!)

as first time cruisers we will have nothing to compare it with.

going on any RCI would only be a reminder of this royal mess so going to move on. how long does it take to get refunded?

Now to got a few reviews read on the celebrity before we confirm.

You do realize that Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, don't you?

:confused:

Edited by uksimonusa

haha no i didnt know that!! after the last hour of reviews of celebrity we arnt so sure as we are both in our late 20's and it seems that it might be a bit quiet for us???

agghhhh..... what to do! Carnival?

Or suck it up and just go in Indy?

Well since you are young, I would vote the Indy. It has a flowrider and I love the flowrider. Celebrity is a very nice option, but it is more about the food and elegance and not so much doing things. That said, only you know what you like to do. There is no problem if you like to eat and drink going with Celebrity. If you like to climb rock walls, surf or other things like that RCI.

jc

haha no i didnt know that!! after the last hour of reviews of celebrity we arnt so sure as we are both in our late 20's and it seems that it might be a bit quiet for us???

Have you considered Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral? It is a 7 day that leaves on Sunday. Yes, you will have a decent drive up to Port Canaveral but it is another option to consider.

Well since you are young, I would vote the Indy. It has a flowrider and I love the flowrider. Celebrity is a very nice option, but it is more about the food and elegance and not so much doing things. That said, only you know what you like to do. There is no problem if you like to eat and drink going with Celebrity. If you like to climb rock walls, surf or other things like that RCI.jc

That is why I haven't been back on Celebrity for awhile.

Right of course, but did RCI actually announce that they would be switching the dry docks for sure as CC reported? That was my confusion.

I'm in my early 60's :eek: and i was bored on Celebrity. (never again)

Go Indy. still a great ship and you'll find plenty to do.

We (late 20s) just did Celebrity for our honeymoon a couple of months ago and while the ship was beautiful (Silhouette) and the Aqua Class dinners in Blu were amazing, we were very bored with the entertainment overall. We missed Royal Caribbean.

Latest disappointment on this issue. RCI offers $150 in change fees. We have tickets booked on two separate airlines so the total change fees are 4x $200 or $800 in change fees for $650 dollars worth of air tickets. The airlines tell us it is cheaper to book new tickets, but if so, we do not recover the $300 offered in change fee reimbursement. Anyone else encountering this issue?

Yes they do Gordon there is the NCL with the brain tumor on top then there is the NCL? and how about the NCL? hmmm believe you are right. I also think what NCL did was pretty tacky so much for ethics.. Hope your doing well Gordon.

Doing well Dale. Thanks for asking. Hope all is well with you.

Early fifties here and we were never bored on the Reflection. The entertainment was as good as the Freedom class but not as good as Oasis class but those ships are in a class by themselves. The Reflection was going late into the night. It can all depend on the sailing and the average age of the passengers.

I like RCI a lot but love the more strict smoking policy, no announcements, better food across the board and fewer kids. For a twenty something though, I suggest RCI.

Latest disappointment on this issue. RCI offers $150 in change fees. We have tickets booked on two separate airlines so the total change fees are 4x $200 or $800 in change fees for $650 dollars worth of air tickets. The airlines tell us it is cheaper to book new tickets, but if so, we do not recover the $300 offered in change fee reimbursement. Anyone else encountering this issue?

Contact RCI and ask for a supervisor. Explain the situation and see if they will cover the entire fee. It's worth a try.

Early fifties here and we were never bored on the Reflection. The entertainment was as good as the Freedom class but not as good as Oasis class but those ships are in a class by themselves. The Reflection was going late into the night. It can all depend on the sailing and the average age of the passengers.

I like RCI a lot but love the more strict smoking policy, no announcements, better food across the board and fewer kids. For a twenty something though, I suggest RCI.

I have to echo what Gordon wrote we were on Solstice and we were up late most evenings we found there was so much to do on the ship we were never bored. I would do an X cruise again without no hesitation. We really like the vibe