Quantum may not be going to Bermuda

According to Wikipedia:

Breakaway = 27 foot draft, 130 beam, length 1,142

Quantum = 28 foot draft, 135 beam, length 1,062

Explorer = 27 foot draft, 125 beam, length 1,020

I think you have the lengths mixed up because Quantum at 1062' would be shorter than Freedom.

Yes. Right - I was suggesting that after she leaves Bayonne, she be sent to San Juan, and then Jewel could be sent up to Baltimore. Bayonne will have Quantum and Summit (part year), and Baltimore could have Granduer and Jewel (and maybe one of these could be a part time assignment).

I believe the Explorer will be homeported in Port Canaveral after the Quantum takes over in Bayonne. There was mention of this a few months ago.

According to Wikipedia:

Breakaway = 27 foot draft, 130 beam, length 1,142

Quantum = 28 foot draft, 135 beam, length 1,062

Explorer = 27 foot draft, 125 beam, length 1,020

I just checked Wikipedia and it lists the Quantum as being 1,142 feet in length and the Breakaway is listed as 1,063 feet in length.

Edited by Eng23

I believe the Explorer will be homeported in Port Canaveral after the Quantum takes over in Bayonne. There was mention of this a few months ago.

So far it looks like Explorer's stay in Port Canaveral does not last very long. Just a few weeks after she arrives there, she goes to dry dock in Jan 2015. There are no scheduled cruises after January, which is different from most other ships which have their schedules posted out to May 2015.

So far it looks like Explorer's stay in Port Canaveral does not last very long. Just a few weeks after she arrives there, she goes to dry dock in Jan 2015. There are no scheduled cruises after January, which is different from most other ships which have their schedules posted out to May 2015.

That's pretty much what I had seen mentioned. I have not heard any info but I'm sure there is a lot of speculation where Explorer goes after her overhaul.

Guest maddycat
That's pretty much what I had seen mentioned. I have not heard any info but I'm sure there is a lot of speculation where Explorer goes after her overhaul.

I read on these boards that the Explorer will be going to China after her dry dock. Rumor or fact?

I read on these boards that the Explorer will be going to China after her dry dock. Rumor or fact?

Personally I would lean towards that being a rumor. I think anything you can speculate on about Explorer's status after her overhaul is possible.

Iandidar I live 30 minutes south of you. :) FLL is 4 hours away, we always fly down the night before, never drive. I have fibromyalgia so it makes more sense that we fly. We do drive to Pt. Canaveral or as far as Tampa but not as far as FLL or Miami. Its only a 50 minute flight.

I highly suggest you go the night before, yes, you can get there in four hours drive time but what happens if there is some bad traffic jam of some sort, or you get a flat tire or something? To me, its worth a few extra dollars to spend the night before and also wake up in the am and get right to the ship without that drive which can be exhausting. Just something to consider.

Eng23 I so hoping to get the Oasis or the Allure here in Pt. Canaveral, then Im sure when the second Quantum series comes out maybe one of them will be in south Florida for me. :rolleyes:

Edited by lyndamr

Too bad was looking foward to it.

The article does not say that Quantum would not be going to Bermuda - only that more tests are needed to determine what - if anything - may need to be done to improve the channel. It also said that discussions are on going with RCI and no decision has been made yet.

From the article:

“The information and data obtained from simulation exercises will assist in determining if modifications are required to our channels to ensure safe transit of the vessel. Once the report is presented a decision will be made based on the channel modification requirements and the associated timelines to complete.”

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Iandidar I live 30 minutes south of you. :) FLL is 4 hours away, we always fly down the night before, never drive. I have fibromyalgia so it makes more sense that we fly. We do drive to Pt. Canaveral or as far as Tampa but not as far as FLL or Miami. Its only a 50 minute flight.

I highly suggest you go the night before, yes, you can get there in four hours drive time but what happens if there is some bad traffic jam of some sort, or you get a flat tire or something? To me, its worth a few extra dollars to spend the night before and also wake up in the am and get right to the ship without that drive which can be exhausting. Just something to consider.

Makes sense..you'd triggered my curiosity.

We're still on the fence about going down Friday or Saturday. We're pretty early risers, so if we leave Saturday it'd be around 6am, maybe 7am....so even a 5 hour drive we're looking at noon at the outside for an arrival time. While we don't want to arrive last minute, that leaves several hours for traffic, flats, etc if it did happen.

Leaving Friday would be after work, so probably leaving 6 or 7 PM...getting down there between 10 and midnight, not ideal for us either. The additional expense isn't really that much of a factor, figure we'd blow a hundred bucks give or take on a hotel, which is nothing compared to what we've already spent on booking and precruise planning on RCCLs website.

Honestly we'll probably play it by ear that Friday night, if we're off and packed early, and there's something reasonable on HotelTonight, then we'll probably head on down, otherwise just call it an early night, get up early, and get driving. It's not something we really have to decide 2 months out.

When QUANTUM is too large for the Bermudas, maybe INDEPENDENCE sails the Bermuda itineraries...

As announced today, she will be replaced by ANTHEM and leaves Southampton.

Couldn't it be an option?

QUANTUM surely stays at Cape Liberty year-round, but maybe she will only focus on the Bahamas, Caribbean and Canada/New England itineraries...

When QUANTUM is too large for the Bermudas, maybe INDEPENDENCE sails the Bermuda itineraries...

QUANTUM surely stays at Cape Liberty year-round, but maybe she will only focus on the Bahamas, Caribbean and Canada/New England itineraries...

That would be an option. The question is can Royal fill 2 ships that large. If they succeed it would certainly lay the ground work for an Oasis class ship. They have done 2 NYC ships in the past. At once point both Nordic Empress and Serenade were their, then it was Nordic Empress and Voyager of the Seas. Neither scenario was 2 large ships though.

Just an hour ago, I happened to run into the former Explorer of the Seas captain, Olav Nyseter. (he was our capt. in 2011 on EOS) He lives here in Baltimore across the street from a house I have for sale for a client. When I saw him coming out of his house, I ran over to greet him and to ask about Quantum.

He is actually involved in the simulator sea trials of the Quantum right now.

I asked him about Bermuda, and his remark was "Bermuda is very important to Royal Caribbean". The route into Kings Wharf is very circuitous, as any of you who have sailed in/out have likely noticed. it is one of the toughest routes they have to negotiate. the new ship is longer. He mentioned that the channel will likely need some dredging to make it accessible to QOS.

the stats for the new ship, listed in the RCI brochure that I picked up on EOS last week, show these numbers:

EOS 1,020 feet length

154 feet Beam

quantum 1,141 feet length

136 feet Beam

(if you have the brochure, take a look at the deck plans. the new ship is obviously not as wide...) seems like it is designed in a more sleek, ocean liner type of profile.

so although quantum is narrower, it is over 100 feet longer. Seems that the geometry of this longer ship will make it yet tougher to navigate into Kings Wharf.

Just thought his comments were interesting. we would all hope to see Bermuda on future QOS itineraries.

Agree with the comment about getting a bigger ship here in Baltimore, we would love it. But for now we like Grandeur, and good riddance to Carnival and their dirty fuel!

JoAnn

Quantum and Independence are both similarly sized ships - Quantum is only slightly larger. So if Independence will "fit" so will Quantum. (in fact Indy is wider). See below:

Quantum: Gross tonnage - 167,800; length - 1,141; width - 136; draft - 28

Independence: Gross tonnage - 160,000; length - 1,112; width - 183.4; draft - 28.

And the issue reported in the article is with regards to draft and depth of the existing channel.

I think at least one decision must be made.

RCI needs to compete with NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY, and I think EXPLORER is too old to compete with her, I think...

So I think QUANTUM or INDEPENDENCE will offer Bermuda seasons - the Bermuda port authority has time until May 2015 to enlarge the port...

On top of that EXPLORER is supposed to move to Asia...

I think at least one decision must be made.

RCI needs to compete with NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY, and I think EXPLORER is too old to compete with her, I think...

So I think QUANTUM or INDEPENDENCE will offer Bermuda seasons - the Bermuda port authority has time until May 2015 to enlarge the port...

On top of that EXPLORER is supposed to move to Asia...

To be clear, the port has already been enhanced to accommodate Breakaway. The issue is with the channel leading to the port which may need to be dredged. By virtue of being based in Bayonne, Quantum is already earmarked for Bermuda and the same situation may likely exist with Independence regarding the channel as they are similarly sized ships.

And the issue reported in the article is with regards to draft and depth of the existing channel.

I took a look at the chart for the North Channel.. The center line depth looks deep enough; There are several turns where the channel isn't very wide. It would not surprise me if they have to widen it in places to give the ship more maneuvering room.

Aloha,

John

There is no comparison to the Breakaway or any of the RC fleet, because the Breakaway (I have cruised on 50 ships so far and I am 50) was our most disliked cruise with so many problems and negatives. RC blows the Breakaway away in so many ways! NCL never again, we staying loyal with Royal. Size does not matter when your dealing with RC vs Breakaway.

Edited by lyndamr