Child prices - Con!

olibubble

So, was looking at a cruise on the royal caribbean website.

12 nights from southampton, for £999 per person.

When I went to book now, and changed it for 2 adults and one child, it said the child price was only £553, but the adult prices suddenly jumped from 999, to 1189 each! Why??

So when you add the increase in the adult prices (£190) to the supposed child price, then the actual cost of the third passenger is £933 - just a £60 reduction.

I know that the third passenger price is not specifically a child price, as it can be used for a third adult in the room, but even so why would adding a third person mean the other two need to cost more?

And what is a 1 year old really going to take part in to justify basically paying £60 less for them than an adult who has so much more inclusive benefits to take advantage of (ie food and activities)

Seems such a con!

When I went to book now, and changed it for 2 adults and one child, it said the child price was only £553, but the adult prices suddenly jumped from 999, to 1189 each! Why??

So when you add the increase in the adult prices (£190) to the supposed child price, then the actual cost of the third passenger is £933 - just a £60 reduction.

I know that the third passenger price is not specifically a child price, as it can be used for a third adult in the room, but even so why would adding a third person mean the other two need to cost more?

And what is a 1 year old really going to take part in to justify basically paying £60 less for them than an adult who has so much more inclusive benefits to take advantage of (ie food and activities)

Seems such a con!

Prices for 1 and 2 jumped because you have to be in a more expensive category for 3 in the cabin.

PP is correct. When you go from double occupancy cabins to triple or quad, the price of the first 2 passengers rise, due to the higher level of cabin. Third passenger rate is lower and is not specifically designed for children, and there is no designated "child" rate.

Children are passengers too, use some facilities, rooms have to be cleaned, they eat, and often make a mess that is cleaned up, and since they are counted as part of the capacity for life boat purposes, they are charged as well.

There are lines that charge less for children or sometimes offer kids sail free rates. Royal Caribbean does not.

I would also note that a ship is permitted to carry only so many "souls" - doesn't matter if that "soul" is 6 months or 60 years of age. That baby is not going to be gambling, drinking alcohol, using spa services or playing bingo - all huge money makers for the ship. They do not make a profit on just the cabin price alone. They should almost charge more for a baby since they can't sell that space to a profit generating adult.

We paid 3rd passenger rates for our (then) 6 month old grandson. He generated more mess than the rest of us. I completely understand why they don't reduce the price. His body is taking up the same space as another "body" and won't spend any money on board.

It is not a "con" - it is business decision. At least with the US mock booking, the cruise line does not recognize the age of the passenger in setting the third person rate - only that a third person is added. Whether you identify them as a child or adult in the mock booking, the rate for them is the same. They probably offer that distinction for their benefit so that they have a picture of the demographics on that cruise.

It should also be noted that it is a lower rate than the first two either way, regardless of whether it is a child or an adult. And as others have said it is based on the fact that another passenger will be on board, not a measure of how much food they will eat or activities in which they will participate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I checked that, but ven using the exact same category, it jumps.

Are you sure it was the exact same category? Usually, the cabins that accommodate more than two passengers are a different sub-category (say, D1 vs. D2). We have usually cruised with our son, so we get three-person cabins. It is not unusual to see that we would be able to get better 1st & 2nd person rates if just booking a cabin for two.

Seems such a con!

Business decision and not a con. By the way why woukld "anyone" bring a one year old on a cruise????.....:rolleyes:

A cruise I'm looking at has a 3rd person rate higher than the first two. To me it's just funny but not too strange I guess. I have also seen a higher cost with a resident discount in the past. 😀

It's still a business and one I'm willing to pay for to enjoy a good vacation with my family.

It is not a "con" - it is business decision. At least with the US mock booking, the cruise line does not recognize the age of the passenger in setting the third person rate - only that a third person is added. Whether you identify them as a child or adult in the mock booking, the rate for them is the same. They probably offer that distinction for their benefit so that they have a picture of the demographics on that cruise.

It should also be noted that it is a lower rate than the first two either way, regardless of whether it is a child or an adult. And as others have said it is based on the fact that another passenger will be on board, not a measure of how much food they will eat or activities in which they will participate.

My point wasnt so much about the price for a third adult vs child, my point was the increase in passengers 1&2 to the point that it isnt much of a reduction for px 3 at all.

Business decision and not a con. By the way why woukld "anyone" bring a one year old on a cruise????.....:rolleyes:

Family holiday generally involves taking the family! Cant believe someone is breaking out the rolleyes for me wantng my family with me on holiday!

Besides, I expect i'll still be breastfeeding him/her, so will need to regardless of whether I wanted to (which of course I do!)