Rude Passengers

suntan

Now in fairness, let me add a positive experience that took place on board. One time as we were exiting the MDR, others who had the later seating were crowded around the doors, waiting to be let in. My aunt, 87 at the time, scooted ahead to get out of the way and in a split second, lost her balance. She was way outside any of our immediate reach, we could only watch. But a young man standing near by, I would guess in his early 20's, saw what was happening. Without a thought, he literally bolted to her, swooped down and caught her before she hit the ground. He turned her upright and set her on her feet, then while she was still clutching him in fear, he gently danced with her as if it was all part of their plan. They shared a good laugh and she thanked him profusely. We all did. She really could have been badly injured - he saved the day. It was a beautiful, instinctive act of kindness and grace that I'll never forget.

That is a great story! An uplifting and happy post - something I wish we could see more of on these boards.

My hubby suffered a massive stroke, right side very impaired, blind in one eye, unable to speak, we manage to cruise and get around.......BUT.....I am absolutely dumbfounded at the rudeness we encounter every day on a cruise,(airport, resort, restaurants) in one way or another.

The buffet and the elevators are real problem areas. :eek:

I'm just off the Caribbean Princess, and luckily most people were fine or at least apologized if they bumped into you. I know I might have stepped on the edge of a shoe here or there in a crowd and apologized.

One thing I remember was I was headed out of the Cafe Caribe to the aft pool, and had my nicer coverup over my suit and my sun hat on. As I got to the automatic doors, and elderly lady being pushed in a wheelchair was coming in so I stopped and gave them room. She apologized, and I said, "No problem!" Then she said, "That's a cute outfit" and I thanked her. She was cute.

The most rudeness I saw was on snorkeling excursion - all ship passengers. I would turn my head to see what was to my left, and there is someone 2 inches from my face. Um...Hi - I'm right here, could you give me a little space! Also, people taking pictures would just drift into other people. Totally clueless!! I had to back pedal just to get clear of folks. I often just popped up to get away from people, so the guides kept asking if I was okay, I neglected to tell them the real reason. :)

I spent 12 years being the travel companion for my beloved brother who was in a wheelchair/scooter/cane, paralyzed on one side and speech virtually gone from a stroke. Nobody ever expected him to make a life after his stroke, but he was determined and unbelievably cheerful under the circumstances.

I observed that he had to use enormous reserves of determination to do the things the rest of us take for grated. Sometimes he miscalculated - bumped into someone, brushed past too close or otherwise. Often because he was making such a mammoth effort to climb that stair, climb onto that elevator, he did not notice a person nearby.

Never again will I judge the elderly who are not letting their disabilities - visible or invisible - keep them cooped up and unhappy. There but for the grace of God....

Martha;

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

My young adult sons would've done the same: bolted to help an elderly person that looked like they were about to fall. In fact, I probably would've been the quickest to react having elderly parents that do that kind of stuff a lot. DH would've watched from the sidelines and about 10 mins. later, think about moving to help! :rolleyes:

One thing I'd like to suggest to the OP in all kindness - have you thought about trying to dodge some of these accidents, incidents and near-misses? I mean this in all sincerity. One of my sons is not good at dodging things, so a lot more gets pushed into him, bumped into him and even thrown at him. People are not intentionally running into him, he just doesn't move quick enough to avoid the collisions.

I think we all tend to be a little starry-eyed and unobservant on a cruise and the newbies, even more so. It pays to be able to quickly side-step someone who is about to bump into you. :)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

In defense of very older cruisers: Often they don't see, hear, or walk very well.

They have no clue they might have bumped into others or they have been rude in any way.

Forgive them. As they are now, some of us who are fortunate enough to live as long may also be.

LuLu

~~~~

Just thought I would throw this in about what has happen to me so many times. I have very curly hair, and when it was chin to shoulder length people would touch it when on a cruise ship. I would get "your hair is so curly" and them they would put their hand in it. Most time they were so quick I could not get out of the way of their hand. I would try to be nice, because I knew they did not know that I did not want them to do it.

A couple of cruises ago, my then-13-year-old told us that earlier she was hanging out with others her age, and some woman (she said a senior citizen) came up to them and started hassling them, including criticizing my daughter's hair style (she had this Veronica Lake style going on). If I had heard this woman, I would have pointed out that I was taught you don't make negative comments to someone about how they look, and that I had taught my daughter the same. It's rude behavior and it's something that many of us parents try to address as soon as a child is old enough to learn it's hurtful and rude.

Now on that same cruise, we witnessed a man (much older than my 50+ years) go up to some preteen/teen boys and start hassling them. And believe me, I can tell the kids on this cruise were trying to stay with their age groups and not trying to harass the adults. But some of the older folk didn't see any problem in seeking out the kids and bother them.

So when one of our tablemates, a retired school principal, remarked that the passengers on board have been the rudest she's ever encountered on a cruise, and she was ashamed to add that they were all in her age group, I believed her. She also was in an elevator and had her foot run over by a scooter, and felt the person knew it but was unapologetic. And remember, she was of the age to probably have many peers using these.

It's up to all of us to try to be considerate, and just because you have reached the Dennys-special-price age group, you are not excused from acting badly.

A couple of cruises ago' date=' my then-13-year-old told us that earlier she was hanging out with others her age, and some woman (she said a senior citizen) came up to them and started hassling them, including criticizing my daughter's hair style (she had this Veronica Lake style going on). If I had heard this woman, I would have pointed out that I was taught you don't make negative comments to someone about how they look, and that I had taught my daughter the same. It's rude behavior and it's something that many of us parents try to address as soon as a child is old enough to learn it's hurtful and rude.

Now on that same cruise, we witnessed a man (much older than my 50+ years) go up to some preteen/teen boys and start hassling them. And believe me, I can tell the kids on this cruise were trying to stay with their age groups and not trying to harass the adults. But some of the older folk didn't see any problem in seeking out the kids and bother them.

So when one of our tablemates, a retired school principal, remarked that the passengers on board have been the rudest she's ever encountered on a cruise, and she was ashamed to add that they were all in her age group, I believed her. She also was in an elevator and had her foot run over by a scooter, and felt the person knew it but was unapologetic. And remember, she was of the age to probably have many peers using these.

It's up to all of us to try to be considerate, and just because you have reached the Dennys-special-price age group, you are not excused from acting badly.[/quote']

In my case the people were not nasty, they were nice. But all of them would touch my hair with out asking me. I could see that they did not know that they were doing anything wrong. I just don't like people I don't know putting their hands in my hair. Now that my hair is short people don't do it as much any more. But it would only happen on a ship to me.

The most rudeness I saw was on snorkeling excursion - all ship passengers. I would turn my head to see what was to my left, and there is someone 2 inches from my face. Um...Hi - I'm right here, could you give me a little space! Also, people taking pictures would just drift into other people. Totally clueless!! I had to back pedal just to get clear of folks. I often just popped up to get away from people, so the guides kept asking if I was okay, I neglected to tell them the real reason. :)

I too was getting irritated during a snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef, much for the same reason. I too decided to back pedal just to get clear of folks.

However, when I did that I ran right into others who were hanging back, probably for the same reason. There is not much peripheral vision when snorkeling so it's very easy to get too close to others from the side, especially when we're all fixated on the wonderful sights in front of us.

I expected this backlash from you but what you have failed to latch onto is that no one said "sorry". If they said that I wouldn't have let it go. As for all you that said I was in the wrong, that maybe I was in the way, do you think I would have posted this if I was? Some of you are so quick to judge the poster without thinking before you speak or putting yourself in the poster's shoes. I expect politeness from EVERYONE young and old as I thought you would to. I travel with my elderly Mother who had more manners than these individuals I have spoken about. Obviously I have higher standards than some of you.

We took a 7-day cruise in the Caribbean 10 years ago this time of the year. Never again! The demographic on the ship was a very rude demographic from a certain region of the U.S. It was just as you described, people bumping into you and not saying sorry. Hostile people, too. One lady kicked me off my slot machine. Yes, think Maxine from the Hallmark greeting card. True. People pretending like they didn't know any better, wandering to the front of the tender line while others had been waiting for quite awhile. Oh, yeah, it was a hoot and a holler on that cruise. LOL

Nope, I would never ever sail on a Caribbean cruise in pre-Thanksgiving months in November or the first 2 weeks in December, and for that matter, all of January. The April sailings have been great though.

We took a 7-day cruise in the Caribbean 10 years ago this time of the year. Never again! The demographic on the ship was a very rude demographic from a certain region of the U.S. It was just as you described, people bumping into you and not saying sorry. Hostile people, too. One lady kicked me off my slot machine. Yes, think Maxine from the Hallmark greeting card. True. People pretending like they didn't know any better, wandering to the front of the tender line while others had been waiting for quite awhile. Oh, yeah, it was a hoot and a holler on that cruise. LOL

Nope, I would never ever sail on a Caribbean cruise in pre-Thanksgiving months in November or the first 2 weeks in December, and for that matter, all of January. The April sailings have been great though.

I fail to see how one time of the year favors any demographic more than others. What region are you speaking of?

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

One bad apple (or cruise) don't spoil the whole bunch, girl.

Pretty broad paintbrush you are painting with.

etc. :D

I was on the Coral Princess in October and am not surprised by the OPs concerns.

I constantly witnessed people of all ages deliberately cutting in line ahead of people, heard abusive epithets thrown at staff in the MDR and the Sanctuary, had people on a ferry boat excursion tell me that "you have to move your chair forward,my husband has long legs and needs more room"-so where am I to have any space? Other people on this shore excursion deliberately refused to give up an EXTRA chair for their food!(while watching very frail people have to stand on an 8+hour trip. I constantly had people yelling at me to give them directions to various parts of the ship and when I couldn't answer their rude way of asking me they cursed at me. Hello, why are they verbally assaulting a complete stranger like this?

Don't even get me started on shore excursions if someone accidentally sat in the "wrong seat" on a bus. I saw men being verbally abusive to women about this.

So in defense of the OP, I believe that she/he did experience some pretty bad stuff. It was really disappointing to see the behavior of people who ARE old enough to know better.

It was almost always rude fellow Americans who acted like this. The few Brits and Canadians onboard were quite lovely,gracious and had manners.

Wow not just us who have been evicted on a tour :). When in France we had a nice location 4 seats back behind the driver. The bus had very narrow cramped seats. When we got back on our things were over the hump in the back. We both have long legs. The lady in her 50's said when I told her we were sitting there was nasty, her comment was to bad you shouldn't have left I don't like that hump. We have always had the same seats for complete tours and were a little taken back. Next stop there stuff was in the way back thanks to other passengers and that was for the 3 hour return trip :).

Take heart if you have rude folks just remember you are better and on VACATION ENJOY.

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

If the worst thing that can go wrong with a cruise is to be struck by an errant ping pong ball...:eek:

Oh wait, maybe it's the senior citizen's version of the "Knockout Game"?

Hahahaha!

Complaining about being hit by a ping pong ball when you're sitting near a ping pong table is like complaining about being splashed when you're sitting beside the pool...:rolleyes: ;)

By the way, since when is touching someone a bad thing? I see it as a friendly gesture, especially if someone is trying to stop you from bumping into something.

Edited by 5326jan

I am one of those "old" people, being past 70, who cruises a lot, and in my years of life I have observed rude unthinking people in every age bracket no matter where I go.

However, I have also become aware that in recent years, there seems to be more rudeness in general. So many people appear to have the "ME first" and "it's all about ME" attutude nowadays. Just plain old fashioned "good" manners seem to have become a thing of the past for far too many people. It also seems as if far too many of today's kids (teens and younger) seem not to have been taught manners and respect for others by their parents. Not that just young people are the only ones by any means. I have observed people of all ages pushing ahead of others in buffet lines, cutting ahead in lines in other places, and speaking rudely to others.

Us seniors are not entitled to special treatment because of our advanced ages, though sometimes it seem as if a certain few think they are. However, I do wish the OP had not lumped all of us together in the "rude group". MOST of us are not like that because we treat the people around us with respect, and would not intentionally be rude.

We have just come off the Crown Princess 7-night Caribbean cruise. The demographics of the passengers was a mixture of young and old, couples, families and singles. Passengers were from Canada, the U.S., Britain, and other European countries. During the 7-night cruise I was: walked into, backed into, walked into from the side, stepped on, hit by a ping pong ball, hit by someone pushing an empty wheelchair, and someone had the audacity to place their hands on me (she thought I was going to bump into her in an elevator however that gives no one the right to touch me or anyone else). All of these "events" were caused by older ("older" meaning over 70) passengers and not one of them said "Sorry". Some of the women thought it was ok to touch children that didn't belong to them. Maybe that's a cultural thing, however, in this day and age I'm surprised the parents didn't object. I don't know why some older aged individuals have to be so rude and ignorant.

I hope you never have to commute in Manhattan. My wife travels in the subways and buses. It is virtually impossible not to brush up against someone. Not only are you shoulder to shoulder and ass to ass with the other passengers, sometimes you are breathing in their face. My point is that this is so common that nobody feels the need to apologize which probably carries over in other crowded situations. What I find amazing is she also touches the hand rails and with all of this physical contact with complete strangers she has never had Norovirus.

I never had a problem with seniors touching my children. Being parents and probably now grandparents it is just a natural reaction for them. What I do object to is a total stranger touching a pregnant women's belly. When did this become acceptable behavior?

Edited by Iamcruzin

What I find amazing is she also touches the hand rails and with all of this physical contact with complete strangers she has never had Norovirus.

It isn't touching the handrails that causes one to contract the Norovirus. It is having the virus enter your body through entry points such as mouth, nose, eyes, etc. Your DW is probably very good at not touching her hands to these areas as well as frequently washing her hands.

That said, with all those folk in close proximity, I would think it difficult to avoid catching something that's simply airborne. Maybe she is lucky to have an exceptionally strong immune system too.

We have just come off the Crown Princess 7-night Caribbean cruise. The demographics of the passengers was a mixture of young and old, couples, families and singles. Passengers were from Canada, the U.S., Britain, and other European countries. During the 7-night cruise I was: walked into, backed into, walked into from the side, stepped on, hit by a ping pong ball, hit by someone pushing an empty wheelchair, and someone had the audacity to place their hands on me (she thought I was going to bump into her in an elevator however that gives no one the right to touch me or anyone else). All of these "events" were caused by older ("older" meaning over 70) passengers and not one of them said "Sorry". Some of the women thought it was ok to touch children that didn't belong to them. Maybe that's a cultural thing, however, in this day and age I'm surprised the parents didn't object. I don't know why some older aged individuals have to be so rude and ignorant.

OK no more 70's or over are allowed to cruise...that's it...no more!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh wait, I will be 70 next year and I am certainly going to cruise to Alaska!! and if I think someone is going to bump into me at the elevator I will..........:D

Edited by TXRed

Maybe a tad over-sensitive and definitely not showing any empathy. The part of your post about the older woman in the elevator for instance...Did it ever occur to you that older people are a bit fragile and this woman obviously has a fear of being bumped into and/or knocked over? It wasn't like she hurt you...she touched you...Sometimes you have to put yourself in another's shoes.

Yes, sometimes older people are drawn to children and they touch them. I don't see an issue with this. Sad that we live in a time that has created so many fears surrounding something as human as physical contact.

Ships tend to be crowded...there will be a lot of bumping going on. There is no excuse as you stated, for the lack of apologies when that happens. I wouldn't be too upset over it because the reality is that there are far more respectful people in this world than rude ones...when you do run into rude ones, try to brush it off. What good is steaming over it?

I hope you never have to commute in Manhattan. My wife travels in the subways and buses. It is virtually impossible not to brush up against someone. Not only are you shoulder to shoulder and ass to ass with the other passengers, sometimes you are breathing in their face. My point is that this is so common that nobody feels the need to apologize which probably carries over in other crowded situations.

The "real" world is in a hurry and can be rude, Cruising is not near the real world, but for those that don't have to mass-commute and may have not been 'exposed" to the rudeness and hurry that is out there. I have run into my share of rude people on a cruise and it botters my DW more than me, because I see it every day but a lot worse then this.

Note to OP people have a bad habit of backing up a lot (including me). When someone is backing up and going to bump me and I have no where to go I gently touch them to let them know I am there. I don't say sorry but expect them to say it because they where going to bump me. If I backed into them I would say apologize. We expect to see rude behavior and adjust accordingly, especially on elevators, and see it as a reminder on we should NOT behave ourselves. However, people standing in front of doors trying to get on before letting people get off REALLY gets to me though, and sometimes I may make no effort to avoid them when I am trying to get off..

Call me :quilty"

Note: we also travel with my older sister who needs stadilizing when she walks and find people very helpful.

I have found some people to have very bad manners on cruises and some people to have beautiful manners. I have heard a lady say 'Oh how rude' when I asked her to stand aside from the top of the stairs in the atrium so I could walk down the stairs, I had asked her in a polite manner, please and thank you included. Manners can also be subjective. I am English and to use your fork in your strong hand (i.e right hand if right handed) is very bad manners but I have noticed many North Americans scooping their food in such a manner, so I assume it doesn't mean anything bad to those people and try to 'go with the flow' but I can't help but notice it! Lift elevators are always a bone of contention, those who think it's ok to barge in without waiting for those who are in there to get out are just the tip of the iceberg. I usually find a loud 'No Problem' when I, for example, hold a door for someone who doesn't acknowledge I have held the door for them makes me feel a bit better and hopefully reminds them there are others in the world.

Manners can also be subjective. I am English and to use your fork in your strong hand (i.e right hand if right handed) is very bad manners but I have noticed many North Americans scooping their food in such a manner, so I assume it doesn't mean anything bad to those people and try to 'go with the flow' but I can't help but notice it!

Brought up in Canada in the 50s and 60s, we ate as you do, and referred to the above as eating "American". It may be north American now, but still flinch when I see it!!;)

I hope you never have to commute in Manhattan. My wife travels in the subways and buses. It is virtually impossible not to brush up against someone. Not only are you shoulder to shoulder and ass to ass with the other passengers, sometimes you are breathing in their face. My point is that this is so common that nobody feels the need to apologize which probably carries over in other crowded situations. What I find amazing is she also touches the hand rails and with all of this physical contact with complete strangers she has never had Norovirus.

I never had a problem with seniors touching my children. Being parents and probably now grandparents it is just a natural reaction for them. What I do object to is a total stranger touching a pregnant women's belly. When did this become acceptable behavior?

From what I hear the best way to have your arm cut off at the elbow was to try that with my DW when she was pregnant (kids are by a previous relationship, didn't know her then) She hates that .

I can picture when our DDs are pregnant she will be on the look out to smack the hand of anyone who tries it with them *LOL*

I really don't get the "natural reaction for them." To me, you just don't go up to children who don't know you and touch them. So I would have a problem with a stranger doing that to my child. I would try not to touch even kids who know me, unless there's a safety issue (I need to get their attention). Some of my kids' friends may hug me, but I wouldn't initiate that action myself. Many kids are shy or need personal space and they should have that respected.

I have found some people to have very bad manners on cruises and some people to have beautiful manners. I have heard a lady say 'Oh how rude' when I asked her to stand aside from the top of the stairs in the atrium so I could walk down the stairs, I had asked her in a polite manner, please and thank you included. Manners can also be subjective. I am English and to use your fork in your strong hand (i.e right hand if right handed) is very bad manners but I have noticed many North Americans scooping their food in such a manner, so I assume it doesn't mean anything bad to those people and try to 'go with the flow' but I can't help but notice it! Lift elevators are always a bone of contention, those who think it's ok to barge in without waiting for those who are in there to get out are just the tip of the iceberg. I usually find a loud 'No Problem' when I, for example, hold a door for someone who doesn't acknowledge I have held the door for them makes me feel a bit better and hopefully reminds them there are others in the world.

I have never heard of holding an utensil in one's left hand while eating, unless using one's fork and knife to cut a piece of food. I have never been to Europe and don't stare at others eating while on a cruise, so have not noticed others using their left hand to hold their fork or spoon.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any variances when it comes to elevator etiquette. One planning to board an elevator should always wait for those exiting an elevator. People already on an elevator who are near the front of the car and staying on should allow those in the back to exit if necessary when the door opens. Don't just stand there -- if the door is opening, either some are exiting and/or some are getting on. Make space for the new passengers.

Also, if you're going to stand by the button panel, take charge. Hold the "open" button if people are getting on. Ask for floor numbers so that people don't have to reach over your shoulder.