I'll probably be called a snob for this ...

LittleJeanne

I think if the clientele even think that a bathrobe is acceptable and that is the crowd that is attracted then that's a sign it's the wrong cruise for us.

Good way of putting it!

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

PJs at the morning buffet, I am likely to wonder if you are broke or just a slob, then shrug and ignore.

I could not understand people going to the buffet in pajamas, but I believe that the bathrobes are being used as bathing suit cover-ups. I have certainly never seen anyone try to enter the MDR in a bathrobe, but the buffets are normally located next to a pool area.

I could not understand people going to the buffet in pajamas, but I believe that the bathrobes are being used as bathing suit cover-ups. I have certainly never seen anyone try to enter the MDR in a bathrobe, but the buffets are normally located next to a pool area.

See post #73. It's a bathrobe, not a bathing suit coverup.

My whole point is that people worry far too much about what others are wearing. People watching would be no fun at all if we all dressed and looked the same.

Snobs who think that bathrobes would never be worn in public should note that the following photo is an official Seabourn photo - a cut above Regent or Windstar:

bloodymarys-1024x768.jpg

Guests line up for mimosas and bloody marys on Deck 5, aft.

Look closely and you will notice several bathrobes. :)

Relax, people, and enjoy your cruise.

My whole point is that people worry far too much about what others are wearing. People watching would be no fun at all if we all dressed and looked the same.

Snobs who think that bathrobes would never be worn in public should note that the following photo is an official Seabourn photo - a cut above Regent or Windstar:

bloodymarys-1024x768.jpg

Guests line up for mimosas and bloody marys on Deck 5, aft.

Look closely and you will notice several bathrobes. :)

Relax, people, and enjoy your cruise.

Clothes make the man. Just saying.

Unfortunately that exact. mentality is the way of the world these days. And people push the boundaries.

I hate even answering the cabin door in a bathrobe! :p

I am so hoping not to see bathrobes in the buffet on the QE!

Edited by Scrapnana

I am so hoping not to see bathrobes in the buffet on the QE!

I wish you luck. On our QM II cruise there was a gentleman (?) who showed up at the LUNCH buffet in a bathrobe (with a ratty Tshirt and gym shorts underneath. He was very promptly greeted by a crew member and asked to return to his cabin to change into more appropriate attire.

If thinking that a bathrobe is inappropriate in a dining venue makes me a snob, then so be it.

I wish you luck. On our QM II cruise there was a gentleman (?) who showed up at the LUNCH buffet in a bathrobe (with a ratty Tshirt and gym shorts underneath. He was very promptly greeted by a crew member and asked to return to his cabin to change into more appropriate attire.

If thinking that a bathrobe is inappropriate in a dining venue makes me a snob, then so be it.

Makes me a snob too. And good to see the crew member enforcing the decorum. I bet he received a silent round of applause from others.

We sail RC and always dress nice for dinner. That's half the fun to dress nice for each other. Pleasing her is my goal not everyone on the ship. She wears a skirt or dress every night because that's what I like. I dress to please her.

Most nights I wear a dress shirt and tie. One night I was wearing a Philadelphia Phillies Tie. Someone asked if I was a fan. I said NO.

Pointed to the wife and said "she is she dressed me"

I guess I look at it as a matter of respect towards my fellow passengers, as well as pride in myself. While I live in a small rural community where the typical accepted level of dress is generally a nice pair of jeans and a blouse, I am very much looking forward to having an opportunity for a formal setting and intend to take advantage of it. Rarely do I get the opportunity to "dress up" outside of attending weddings. It just isn't the way people dress where I live, even to go out to eat. (For instance, a nice restaurant around here is an Applebee's) I am giddy at the prospect of having the opportunity to wear a formal gown. I can understand wanting to be comfortable while on vacation, but there is a time and place for everything. Not once would I even consider wearing a bathrobe to a dining area. Nor would I wear a bathing suit, cover up or no. But then again, perhaps I was just raised differently.

I love the opportunity to dress up, and take advantage of that on a cruise. My husband and I watched "White Christmas" last night, and I marveled at how beautifully the women were dressed at the resort to see the show, lol.

I just came back from a 3 day RCI Majesty cruise. I knew that there was a high probability that the cruise would be more casual, due to the short nature of the cruise. Overall, that was a correct observation. However, I would put it at thirds - a third dressed formally on formal night, a third dressed very nice but not formal (think church attire) and a third dressed very casually. On my Freedom 7 day cruise in February, the number of people wearing formal attire was quite a bit higher than our 3 day cruise.

Here is one of our formal night pictures:

Majesty4001_zps6782d6b1.jpg

And this was a casual night:

Majesty2001_zps1672e524.jpg

I don't try to tell people what they should wear and what they should not, but I sure enjoy that special feeling you have when you dress up.

I love the opportunity to dress up, and take advantage of that on a cruise. My husband and I watched "White Christmas" last night, and I marveled at how beautifully the women were dressed at the resort to see the show, lol.

I just came back from a 3 day RCI Majesty cruise. I knew that there was a high probability that the cruise would be more casual, due to the short nature of the cruise. Overall, that was a correct observation. However, I would put it at thirds - a third dressed formally on formal night, a third dressed very nice but not formal (think church attire) and a third dressed very casually. On my Freedom 7 day cruise in February, the number of people wearing formal attire was quite a bit higher than our 3 day cruise.

I don't try to tell people what they should wear and what they should not, but I sure enjoy that special feeling you have when you dress up.

Fantastic! And as you posted on the other thread, I notice your gold necklace matches your gold shoes. Very put together.

I certainly do not think you are a snob. We do not dress up all the time, but I have dresses for each night of our upcoming cruise. I even have new dress shoes as mine are looking pretty worn. Part of the fun of cruising is dressing up.

I agree with other suggesting trying a different line. Our last cruise on Carnival I was alittle disaapointed by the dining room attire and in general the ambiance so we went to Princess and loved it. Our next is on Celebrity for Panama (chosen for the itinerary) and I've been reading it is quite similar to Princess.

• 3 weeks later...

My DW and I love to watch old Christmas movies this time of year. I, too, was amazed at the elegance and beauty of the gowns in White Christmas. I think that it is an Edith Head movie. She really knew how to dress different body shapes elegantly. So, sixty years later, elegant styles are still spectacular to look at and enjoy. Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

I am going on a Carnival Breeze cruise in March, I plan on dressing up every night. I don't do formal full length gowns, but I do plan on wearing a nice cocktail dress with pretty shoes on formal night. The other nights, I am still going to be wearing dresses, skirts, or pants with a blouse that others might wear on formal night, but oh well. It's my vacation. My husband on the other hand, he is not into fancy dress at all. He doesn't even own a suit (yet! My sister just got engaged and so did his cousin, so now he needs one). He'll wear a dress shirt with a tie and dress slacks on formal night, but the other nights, he wears nice pants with usually a polo or short sleeve button down. We don't always "match" when I'm more fancy than he is, but I gave up that fight a long time ago, some battles just aren't worth it. I even agree to eating in the steakhouse on one of the formal nights so he doesn't need to wear a tie twice.

I don't think you're a snob, and if you enjoy the ambience of everyone else dressed up, maybe look towards another cruise line. Me personally, I don't care what other people say. I may have come up with some snappy remark, but I don't really care what other people around me are doing.

I don't think this has been on here for a while:

CUNARD LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- White or black tux, tails, bow tie, wing collar, cumberbund, diamond studs, white gloves, patent leather shoes. Top hat and spats, if you have them. Diplomats should wear sash, royalty should limit crowns to reasonable size, no ermine trim.

Women -- No man-made fabrics. Silks only. Please limit trains to 20 feet. One servant suggested for each 10 feet of train, available by calling the Purser's office. No diamonds under one carat. Natural pearls only. Tiaras recommended for royalty.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Omit top hats, spats. Royalty omit crowns.

Women -- Limit trains to 10 feet.

CASUAL:

Men -- omit cumberbund and gloves.

Women -- Cultured pearls OK.

HOLLAND AMERICAN LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux suggested. AARP pins should be diamond only. Canes should be ebony with gold heads, wheelchairs gold plated with black upholstery.

Women -- Silks suggested. Green discouraged, as it clashes with blue hair. Diamond brooches should be smaller than coffee saucer.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Dark suits OK. Wheelchairs may be silver plated. "No Boundaries" ties discouraged.

Women -- Something like the dress you wore on VJ day would be good.

CASUAL:

Men and Women -- Polyester leisure and pants-suits, of course.

PRINCESS CRUISES & ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL

FORMAL:

Men -- Tuxes or dark suits. White shirts. Ties. Polishable shoes.

Women -- Cocktail dresses or silk pant suits. Limit heels to 3 inches.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Suits. Shirts of any color. Ties if you can find one to match. (For Princess, no lipstick or rouge on collars, no long blonde hairs on jacket. This "Love Boat" thing can be carried to extremes!)

Women -- Something "dressy but not too." No blue jeans. No navels showing.

CASUAL:

Men -- No blue jeans. No navels showing. No T-shirts, unless bought on this ship on this cruise. Shoes.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. Wear what you would out shopping -- except for the curlers, of course.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux or suit. Purple tuxes OK. On suits, pants should match jacket. Polishable shoes. Black leather is NOT formal.

Women -- That fancy dress you've been dying to wear somewhere. No bridesmaid dresses. No wedding gowns, for that matter.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Jacket and tie. Not with blue jeans! No jogging shoes. No jogging suits, for that matter.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. All underwear worn under, not over, other clothing. Limit heels to 5 inches.

CASUAL:

Men -- Pants. Not short ones, either. Shirts. Shoes. Socks, probably.

Women -- If it's skin tight, don't make it flesh colored. Wear what you would to go shopping at the mall, but without the black lipstick.

WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT CRUISES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Black bathing suit and matching sandals. T-shirt is OK, but may be too formal.

Women -- White bathing suits, matching sandals.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Any color bathing suit.

Women -- Any color bathing suit.

CASUAL:

Men --

Women --

I don't think this has been on here for a while:

CUNARD LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- White or black tux, tails, bow tie, wing collar, cumberbund, diamond studs, white gloves, patent leather shoes. Top hat and spats, if you have them. Diplomats should wear sash, royalty should limit crowns to reasonable size, no ermine trim.

Women -- No man-made fabrics. Silks only. Please limit trains to 20 feet. One servant suggested for each 10 feet of train, available by calling the Purser's office. No diamonds under one carat. Natural pearls only. Tiaras recommended for royalty.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Omit top hats, spats. Royalty omit crowns.

Women -- Limit trains to 10 feet.

CASUAL:

Men -- omit cumberbund and gloves.

Women -- Cultured pearls OK.

HOLLAND AMERICAN LINE:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux suggested. AARP pins should be diamond only. Canes should be ebony with gold heads, wheelchairs gold plated with black upholstery.

Women -- Silks suggested. Green discouraged, as it clashes with blue hair. Diamond brooches should be smaller than coffee saucer.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Dark suits OK. Wheelchairs may be silver plated. "No Boundaries" ties discouraged.

Women -- Something like the dress you wore on VJ day would be good.

CASUAL:

Men and Women -- Polyester leisure and pants-suits, of course.

PRINCESS CRUISES & ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL

FORMAL:

Men -- Tuxes or dark suits. White shirts. Ties. Polishable shoes.

Women -- Cocktail dresses or silk pant suits. Limit heels to 3 inches.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Suits. Shirts of any color. Ties if you can find one to match. (For Princess, no lipstick or rouge on collars, no long blonde hairs on jacket. This "Love Boat" thing can be carried to extremes!)

Women -- Something "dressy but not too." No blue jeans. No navels showing.

CASUAL:

Men -- No blue jeans. No navels showing. No T-shirts, unless bought on this ship on this cruise. Shoes.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. Wear what you would out shopping -- except for the curlers, of course.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Tux or suit. Purple tuxes OK. On suits, pants should match jacket. Polishable shoes. Black leather is NOT formal.

Women -- That fancy dress you've been dying to wear somewhere. No bridesmaid dresses. No wedding gowns, for that matter.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Jacket and tie. Not with blue jeans! No jogging shoes. No jogging suits, for that matter.

Women -- Nothing from the Madonna Collection. All underwear worn under, not over, other clothing. Limit heels to 5 inches.

CASUAL:

Men -- Pants. Not short ones, either. Shirts. Shoes. Socks, probably.

Women -- If it's skin tight, don't make it flesh colored. Wear what you would to go shopping at the mall, but without the black lipstick.

WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT CRUISES:

FORMAL:

Men -- Black bathing suit and matching sandals. T-shirt is OK, but may be too formal.

Women -- White bathing suits, matching sandals.

SEMI-FORMAL:

Men -- Any color bathing suit.

Women -- Any color bathing suit.

CASUAL:

Men --

Women --

Too funny!:D

I am offended people would comment in such a way!

I am NOT offended by what people choose to wear to meals--as long as they are actually in clothing (not jammies or swimsuits...). I am not offended if someone chooses to put Mios in their drink...None of these choices affect my cruise IN THE LEAST.

I am VERY offended when people feel they have the right to make snarky comments to others regarding their attire choice, etc. That DOES affect my cruise.

If we have thoughts about others' clothing choices, the polite thing to do is to keep our mouths shut. (I am a teacher & am CONSTANTLY reminding my students if they have nothing positive to say, to say nothing at all)