I'll probably be called a snob for this ...

LittleJeanne

Or maybe even old fashioned.

We have primarily cruised on Carnival and while I know that many here have talked about how all cruise lines are more casual these days, In the last year or so it seems that Carnival has gotten much more lax about enforcing what little dress code they have. And while this bugged me because part of my cruise enjoyment is seeing others dressed nicely in the evening as well as being dressed nicely myself.

While I have never said a word to someone on a cruise about what I thought of what they were wearing. In my last 3 cruises there have been people who had no problem with making comments about either my husband or myself and what we were wearing.

My husband prefers to wear a shirt and tie to dinner each night and often wears a suit or blazer to dinner as well, on the non elegant evenings. Usually he is all smiles because he is told by several how nice he looks. In September on 3 different occasions he heard negative comments. One group of ladies actually told him he needed to go back to his room and change because it wasn't formal night. I just countered that we realized that and that he wears his formal tux for formal night. That was the least offensive of the comments that we heard.

We have 2 more cruises booked with Carnival. But we have been discussing possibly making a change in our cruising choice, because we do like to cruise.

What cruise lines still have evening dress codes and enforce them?

Its not just the dress codes but the politeness and respect for others just seemed to be sorely missing on these most recent cruises.

We have primarily cruised on Carnival and while I know that many here have talked about how all cruise lines are more casual these days, In the last year or so it seems that Carnival has gotten much more lax about enforcing what little dress code they have. And while this bugged me because part of my cruise enjoyment is seeing others dressed nicely in the evening as well as being dressed nicely myself.

While I have never said a word to someone on a cruise about what I thought of what they were wearing. In my last 3 cruises there have been people who had no problem with making comments about either my husband or myself and what we were wearing.

My husband prefers to wear a shirt and tie to dinner each night and often wears a suit or blazer to dinner as well, on the non elegant evenings. Usually he is all smiles because he is told by several how nice he looks. In September on 3 different occasions he heard negative comments. One group of ladies actually told him he needed to go back to his room and change because it wasn't formal night. I just countered that we realized that and that he wears his formal tux for formal night. That was the least offensive of the comments that we heard.

We have 2 more cruises booked with Carnival. But we have been discussing possibly making a change in our cruising choice, because we do like to cruise.

Its not just the dress codes but the politeness and respect for others just seemed to be sorely missing on these most recent cruises.

Cunard might be an option, maybe Princess, either of them are still considered mass market and offer what you seek without luxury line cost.

By the way, I don't think you are a snob at all. There is nothing wrong with having good manners and common sense.

Edited by ducklite

Hi!

We were just on NCL it is all freestyle so the dress code is all over the map (mostly no swim suits in the dining rooms / sit down service restaurants) There was some very nicely dressed up folks on the dress up or not night, and great opportunities for photo ops. We dress for every dinner, (DH suit tie etc) me cocktail dress or evening gown, and always had a wonderful experience.

Will be on Royal Princess next week, can let you know what I see since as its owned by same parent company as Carnival.

Sorry you had a bad experience!

We are Holland America Line cruisers. The actual wearing of formal wear on HAL cruises seems to depend of the length and the destination of the cruise.

Longer cruises see more tuxes and gowns than shorter cruises. Europe sees more formal wear than Hawaii or the Caribbean.

Wear what you both enjoy, know that you look good and just ignore the "great unwashed" that sadly, just don't know any better.

We started cruising in 1998, our first cruise was Disney Magic (a gorgeous ship). I was shocked at that time to see how casual people dressed, or should I say...sloppy. I'd always imagined cruises to be rather elegant.Not just during the datime hours, even at dinner. I had purchased entire new wardrobes for the family, total waste of money as they were all "cruise clothes".

Since that time we have noted the steady decline in dress, particularly at night. I have learned that It's just not my problem. I do notice, It's human nature to people watch. There is the occasional eye catching person, that can be Iinterpreted by me either positive or negative. But who am I to say their choices aren't appropriate?

As long as I'm ok with myself, that's all I need to be concerned with. I tend to be comfortable in the middle, we're not out to impress anyone.

I dress up for the wife but she loves it this her favorite thing about cruises so I wouldn't worry what others think as long as you enjoy YOUR vacation and do what you like

Sent from my C771 using Forums mobile app

A few years ago you would have beenshocked at how snobbish people got on Cruise Critic regarding "dress code". The funny part was...the majority of people getting their knickers twisted were men...all about tux vs.suit, then jacket vs. shirtsleeves, now down to tie/no tie.

This fashion and beauty board would take a real beating as the mods would move all those obnoxious arguments over here. I've always thought the ladies here are kind and helpful.

Edited by Happy ks

I think it's time for you to check out other cruiselines. We started with Carnival in our 20's and gradually switched to other lines. If you like to dress, you might be more comfortable on Princess, HAL or possibly Celebrity.

Those people who remarked on your dress were actually showing THEIR insecurities. You made them uncomfortable because they felt like bums next to you!

We started cruising in 1998, our first cruise was Disney Magic (a gorgeous ship). I was shocked at that time to see how casual people dressed, or should I say...sloppy. I'd always imagined cruises to be rather elegant.Not just during the datime hours, even at dinner. I had purchased entire new wardrobes for the family, total waste of money as they were all "cruise clothes".

Since that time we have noted the steady decline in dress, particularly at night. I have learned that It's just not my problem. I do notice, It's human nature to people watch. There is the occasional eye catching person, that can be Iinterpreted by me either positive or negative. But who am I to say their choices aren't appropriate?

As long as I'm ok with myself, that's all I need to be concerned with. I tend to be comfortable in the middle, we're not out to impress anyone.

We took our first cruise on the Magic the same year, and found that overall people were well dressed, especially in formal night where 30% of men had on tuxes and 60% had on suit and tie. Even during the day most people were dressed nicely (ie no cut offs, etc.). It was polar opposite when we cruised on the Dream a couple years ago--it was like being on Royal Caribbean again, lot's of slobs and really inappropriate attire from probably half. :::shakes head:::

The common sense to actually wear some decent clothing without the need for suit/tie is one of the things that is attracting us to Windstar, Paul Gauguin, and most likely within the next few years, Regent.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I have noticed an overall decline in dress in our society. People just don't dress up like they used to to go out to dinner, church, even funerals. I think it is sad. But, that is my opinion. I am from an older generation and jeans are for working in/outside of the house or maybe run to the grocery store or Wal-Mart. I like to dress up for dinner on a cruise and on our next one I plan on wearing mostly dresses and skirts.

Also, we cruise mostly on RC. I think most people to dress for formal night. Sometimes I think CC gives a bad rap to the dress codes.

Edited by luvscruising2007
grammar and spelling

I dress up for dinner every night on Carnival and I'll often wear a cocktail dress on casual nights. One cruise, I was sitting before dinner enjoying a drink and music wearing a simple dress, jewelry and dress shoes. A lady walked by and made a snide comment to me about how it's not formal night. Yes, because on formal night I wear gowns thank you. I don't believe it's possible to be overdressed and I like dressing up on cruises.

Last cruise, Mom and I were walking to the elevator wearing cocktail dresses, heels and jewelry on a casual night. A lady walking back to her cabin asked us if it was formal night but it wasn't in a mean way.

I don't care if other people don't dress to the same level as long as they are clean and follow the dress code. But I'm always surprised when someone makes a comment like that. I dress for myself and no one else. Mom and I make sure that we dress to the same aproximate level and try not to clash. And then we go take a lot of pictures!

I'm 29 but my brother and I were raised to drsss appropriately for the occassion. He wears a suit for formal nights by choice, as well as for weddings as a guest.

Edited by Ehpride

My husband once had several people make fun of him for wearing a tux on FORMAL night on a 10-day HAL cruise. People have no manners!

The most formal cruise we have ever been on was a weeklong Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean out of San Juan. Fully half the ship was Puerto Rican, and, boy, did they like to dress up! I'd do that cruise again in a heartbeat. It's our only RCI cruise, so I don't know if all RCI cruises are like that or not.

We have been on RCI (1), Carnival (2), Princess (2), and HAL (8). RCI was most formal (out of one, so who knows if that's a true representation), but we find HAL and Princess to be the same dresscode-wise. Carnival was definitely more casual on our two Caribbean cruises.

Robin

”This above all: to thine ownself be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

-Shakespeare-Hamlet

Do not worry what others may say or do but to thine own self be true.

I'm not usually so philosophical but this topic brought it out in me. :):)

Tried CCL once. Also not right for me. You sound like Celebrity material. Part of cruise experience is trying different lines. Pull up their newer S ships; Silhouette, and Reflections.People dress nicely on some of most beautiful ships at sea. Priced right too.

I chortled at the recent thread that indicated that jeans are elegant... If that makes me a snob, oh well. I love it when my husband dresses up. He looks very elegant and it makes the evening just that more special. It makes it date night.

Ignore the naysayers, enjoy yourselves, and be who you are. If you want a change, you might want to consider Royal Caribbean or Princess. We have enjoyed both lines, and although there is still a wide range of styles being worn, I have never heard any criticism. Of course, it may be said and I just don't hear it. I love the formal nights and seeing all the special outfits that people wear.

I think that the women ( I won't call them ladies) that said something so negative like that to you and your husband just had a a case of the green eye monster.

On our recent Legend cruise, we dressed formally every night...I wore a long evening gown each night and my husband wore his tux or his dress blues. We had many comments over the course of the week, and I have to say that I never heard anyone say anything negative. We even had some people tell us that they always watched for us to come down just to see what we would be wearing.

It was really cute, there were these three sisters that even asked if they could take a picture with my husband!

Again, I think these women were just plain old jealous of seeing the two of you dressed nicely each night. If you love dressing up, continue to do so. I guess in a way, we might have been the "odd" ones but I really think most people appreciate when you make an effort to look nice and present yourself with poise and manners. That does not make you a snob in any way!

Try Celebrity. The dress code is respected by most people who cruise Celebrity. I take a dress for each night and really like dressing for dinner.

Here is the dress code:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Of course there are always a few who don't dress for dinner but Ihave found them to be in the minority.

And you are not a prude.

Cheers, h.

So when you dress up, you're a snob? Says more about the people complaining about it, imo.

I'm pretty young, but also feel very comfortable dressed up in public. I once had a guy, approx. the same age as me, asking me why I dressed like his pops. No need to see I gave him a very good reply. The guy didn't dare to look at me after that.

You shouldn't be too worried about what others think of you. Specially when you're dressed up. If you would've been in your undies, now that would be another story ;-)

OP, I hope you find a cruise line that works better for you two. I understand completely what you're feeling. I'm career military and thoroughly enjoy wearing dresses and heels every day and night (yes, even relaxing sea days) on my cruises. I enjoy getting to be girly instead of wearing combat boots with my hair in a tight bun. :rolleyes: I got the 'why are you so dressed up?' comments quite a bit on my Carnival cruises. I've learned to smile and give them a polite answer. I've also moved on to NCL for now - nice relaxed attitude and I can dress up while my husband can be happy in his slacks and button-down. But I definitely feel your pain - luckily there is most definitely a cruise line out there that will meet your needs. Happy sailing!

There are people who comment on others, whether over-dressed or under-dressed, on all cruise lines. Unfortunately, some people just can't keep their negative thoughts to themselves.

We sail on HAL, and on non formal nights I often wear a dress to dinner, DH wears a jacket (open shirt no tie) and we are not the only ones. On formal nights, some men wear tuxedos, (many in dark suits), some women wear long gowns (most of the rest in cocktail dresses or pants/skirt with lovely top). I imagine there are others in different attire, but I don't notice. I don't really care.

I like to dress up once in a while, I guess others don't.

Dress doesn't really bother me one way or the other....we recently moved from Norwegian to Celebrity and have to agree with middlehaitch and say many more honor the dress code for the evening than not. I just take a pair of black palazzos with me and and two embellished blouses and I'm good to go for formal evening. My hubby is perfectly happy in his suit and tie.

I used to buy totally new clothing for cruises, but I have learned that less is more and I tend to pack only what I need these days. I have my bathing suit on much of the time so I only bring maybe 3 or 4 pairs of shorts and slacks and interchangeable blouses. You can dress things up with scarves and jewelry. We look nice and I doubt anyone is paying that kind of attention to what we have on....if they are, they really might have a little too much time on their hands. I'm on the ship to have fun and relax....lol, I'm not part of a fashion show....having said that though, we are VERY COMFORTABLE with Celebrity as our cruiseline these days....for reasons other than dress. :D