I'll probably be called a snob for this ...

LittleJeanne

Makes me wonder, would they wear their bathrobe to a Golden Corral, or some other such Buffet Restaurant??? I don't think so...

LOL....I've seen people in pajama bottoms at stores and at the local Golden Corral (our GC happens to be outside of a Walmart). I realize it's not necessarily a robe, but it certainly is a ridiculous fashion trend. I must be really getting old, because it's not one I understand at all.

I find these threads interesting but I wear clothes based on destination, flight rules and general ship suggestions. I usually travel in somewhat of a group so I check before we leave what the group is going to do for formal nights, dressy, somewhat dressy or skip it altogether. No one elses opinion matters. I've never had anyone say anything to me, it probably would be one of the rare times I would ask them how is it their business.

I find the packing lists to be of value but, again, I pack based on that info and then what works for me.

Edited by CruzKnitr

When my sister and I cruise together, we dress up every evening, even if its a 14 day cruise. On a recent RCI cruise, people made comments to us that maybe we needed to go on another line because we were too fancy. Now, we didn't wear fancy formal clothes every night, but we did wear nice suits---think Chanel, not actual Chanel and their insane prices, but that look. The people who made the comments looked like they were dumpster diving.

OP, I think Celebrity would be a great choice for you. On our last Celebrity cruise, I was amazed by how many men wore tuxes. Of course you're going to have those who refuse to get out of their grubby clothes, but they are much less on Celebrity.

On our Eurodam cruise, I was shocked by how grubby many of the passengers were allowed into the MDR. There was one rather large group where the women dressed like they charged by the hour and the men like they were Pearl Jam rejects.

Try Celebrity. The dress code is respected by most people who cruise Celebrity. I take a dress for each night and really like dressing for dinner.

Here is the dress code:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Of course there are always a few who don't dress for dinner but Ihave found them to be in the minority.

And you are not a prude.

Cheers, h.

Isn't anyone else concerned that the cruise line has to provide written guidance that guests' pants shouldn't have holes and rips and that swimsuits and flip flops are not allowed in the specialty restaurants? This is now the world of elegant cruising? Aren't you concerned that things have gone too far? :rolleyes: Oh I forgot - it's your vacation and you don't care about the general ambiance of an upscale restaurant. You exude your true nature.

Or maybe even old fashioned.

We have primarily cruised on Carnival and while I know that many here have talked about how all cruise lines are more casual these days, In the last year or so it seems that Carnival has gotten much more lax about enforcing what little dress code they have. And while this bugged me because part of my cruise enjoyment is seeing others dressed nicely in the evening as well as being dressed nicely myself.

While I have never said a word to someone on a cruise about what I thought of what they were wearing. In my last 3 cruises there have been people who had no problem with making comments about either my husband or myself and what we were wearing.

My husband prefers to wear a shirt and tie to dinner each night and often wears a suit or blazer to dinner as well, on the non elegant evenings. Usually he is all smiles because he is told by several how nice he looks. In September on 3 different occasions he heard negative comments. One group of ladies actually told him he needed to go back to his room and change because it wasn't formal night. I just countered that we realized that and that he wears his formal tux for formal night. That was the least offensive of the comments that we heard.

We have 2 more cruises booked with Carnival. But we have been discussing possibly making a change in our cruising choice, because we do like to cruise.

What cruise lines still have evening dress codes and enforce them?

Its not just the dress codes but the politeness and respect for others just seemed to be sorely missing on these most recent cruises.

I have never cruised on Celebrity yet, but I heard that they have evening dress-codes. Cunard and HAL might also. My experience has been with NCL, and we're about to try RCI.

Isn't anyone else concerned that the cruise line has to provide written guidance that guests' pants shouldn't have holes and rips and that swimsuits and flip flops are not allowed in the specialty restaurants? This is now the world of elegant cruising? Aren't you concerned that things have gone too far? :rolleyes: Oh I forgot - it's your vacation and you don't care about the general ambiance of an upscale restaurant. You exude your true nature.

This is why we have switched to Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. They don't spell it out, and only state to dress as you would at an elegant resort. Our fellow passengers got it without having it spelled out. Celebrity and such are still mass market cruises with mass market mentalities among many of the passengers.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Too bad the mass market lines are so looked down upon by some. People cruise them for any number of reasons and are quite happy.

Given the complaints about dress codes and/or people not following them, smoking allowed and/or not allowed. Chairs hogs, bad food, paying extra for everything, etc.. It doesn't seem that people are as happy with them as you purport them to be.

Edited by ducklite

Given the complaints about dress codes and/or people not following them, smoking allowed and/or not allowed. Chairs hogs, bad food, paying extra for everything, etc.. It doesn't seem that people are as happy with them as you purport them to be.

Then I guess there are hundreds of thousands of unhappy people on the mass lines.

It's so nice that you have found cruise lines that fit your standards. No need to harp on the mass lines, it serves no purpose.

Then I guess there are hundreds of thousands of unhappy people on the mass lines.

It's so nice that you have found cruise lines that fit your standards. No need to harp on the mass lines, it serves no purpose.

I think often people are u happy but stuck in a rut and afraid to change.

I think dressing to (or beyond) the cruise line's directives/guidelines is appropriate and fun. On NCL I love clothes/style watching.

I think negative comments from strangers - in any circumstances - are inappropriate and rude.

Edited by nlsoftly

We are not regular CCL cruisers but recently did an 11 night repositioning cruise on the Legend, my husband wore a sport jacket every night, except formal night and I wore a cocktail dress every night. Many people, men and ladies were well dressed on that cruise. Had someone said anything negative, I would have been hard pressed not to give it back to them, in spades.

Rudeness knows no social or economic boundaries. There are a few rude people on Carnival, but there are on the luxury lines as well. For example, one might find the occasional condescending snob on PG or Windstar who might make rude remarks about the peasants on the mass cruise lines.

The majority of cruisers on all lines are pleasant people who are delighted to be there and are happy to share this exciting experience.

Rudeness knows no social or economic boundaries. There are a few rude people on Carnival, but there are on the luxury lines as well. For example, one might find the occasional condescending snob on PG or Windstar who might make rude remarks about the peasants on the mass cruise lines.

The majority of cruisers on all lines are pleasant people who are delighted to be there and are happy to share this exciting experience.

What rude remarks? I stated fact. It's unfortunate you read something different into it.

We've sailed RCI, NCL, P & O and our preferred line is Celebrity. It's a matter of what fits with you and where you feel comfortable.

I enjoy dressing for dinner, not cocktail dresses every night, but the LBD and a nice necklace etc etc. But if we're on NCL or RCI I know that I will be overdressed & I'll feel uncomfortable. I want to 'fit in'. Celebrity is a great fit. Ok, so some may wear more dressed down stuff but a large majority do dress nicely for dinner and you won't feel 'the odd one out'.

And don't feel bad about the comments made..........if strangers make any negative comments, it says more about them than you.

There's a thread on the NCL forum in which some people feel that wearing a bathrobe to the buffet is acceptable, and everyone who has a problem with it is a snob.

:confused::eek::confused:

I went to that thread and found it astonishing. It's amazing how people keep saying, "If you don't like how I'm dressed, don't look at me." Sorry, but we don't have that choice on a cruise ship. You're almost always in public areas. When I first started cruising, if one had said, "What's next? Bathrobes at the buffet?!!" Others on this web site would have accused you of being sensationalist. But, here we are.

So, now I say what's next? Naked people at the buffet? You could use the same arguments. "If you don't like my naked body, don't look at me! I took a shower. I rubbed my whole body with sanitizer at the entry to the buffet, so I'm clean enough. I put a towel down on the seat, so you don't have to sit where my backside sat."

I'm sorry, people, but you do have to care about what others wear or don't wear in a civilized society.

I have sailed on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Holland America, and Norwegian. NCL is my favorite by far. I have found that NCL does enforce the dress code somewhat, I really think it depends on the ship. It doesn't matter to me because I dress in a cocktail dress every night and then on formal nights I dress in a long elegant evening dress. Just remember....the only one you need to please is yourself (and maybe your spouse if married...LOL) People is always going to talk but if they are talking about you, then they are leaving someone else alone....

I'm sorry, people, but you do have to care about what others wear or don't wear in a civilized society.

I think if the clientele even think that a bathrobe is acceptable and that is the crowd that is attracted then that's a sign it's the wrong cruise for us.

I went to that thread and found it astonishing. It's amazing how people keep saying, "If you don't like how I'm dressed, don't look at me." Sorry, but we don't have that choice on a cruise ship. You're almost always in public areas. When I first started cruising, if one had said, "What's next? Bathrobes at the buffet?!!" Others on this web site would have accused you of being sensationalist. But, here we are.

So, now I say what's next? Naked people at the buffet? You could use the same arguments. "If you don't like my naked body, don't look at me! I took a shower. I rubbed my whole body with sanitizer at the entry to the buffet, so I'm clean enough. I put a towel down on the seat, so you don't have to sit where my backside sat."

I think it is sad that some people think that just because the dress code does not say something like "no bathrobes at the buffet" that means it is ok.

I think it is sad that some people think that just because the dress code does not say something like "no bathrobes at the buffet" that means it is ok.

Unfortunately that exact. mentality is the way of the world these days. And people push the boundaries.

I hate even answering the cabin door in a bathrobe! :p

Edited by Pushka

Oh, I love wandering around NCL ships in the evening! The vast and amazing range of clothing styles makes me feel like I really on in a floating city where almost everyone is having fun.

Formal dress on a non-formal night, I am likely to recognize you are livin' the dream and compliment you. PJs at the morning buffet, I am likely to wonder if you are broke or just a slob, then shrug and ignore.

But, never, ever would I approach a total stranger and make a negative comment.

Hmmm, this does have me thinking.... If sloppy public dressing became very prevalent on a given cruise line, would I seek decorum on other lines? Chuckle, I don't know the answer. May have to wait and see.