Does Anyone Like the Retreat on the Veendam

Chelly

I'm a HAL cruiser considering booking the Veendam. I've been reading about the a/c issues, the lanai issues and the dreaded "RETREAT".

Does anyone like the retreat? Is there sufficient deck space for lounging in the sun? Having outdoor space would be important for me as I won't be booking a verandah cabin this time. Probably will have to settle for outside.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm a HAL cruiser considering booking the Veendam. I've been reading about the a/c issues, the lanai issues and the dreaded "RETREAT".

Does anyone like the retreat? Is there sufficient deck space for lounging in the sun? Having outdoor space would be important for me as I won't be booking a verandah cabin this time. Probably will have to settle for outside.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I haven't been on the Veendam, but I was on the Rotterdam soon after HAL added the retreat area on her, and I think it was supposed to be similar. I liked it. I especially liked lounging in the shallow water reading, or sitting where water flowed over me.

I haven't been on the Veendam, but I was on the Rotterdam soon after HAL added the retreat area on her, and I think it was supposed to be similar. I liked it. I especially liked lounging in the shallow water reading, or sitting where water flowed over me.

The Rotterdam and Veendam Retreats are not anywhere alike. Originally, they were to be identical but a variety of problems on the Veendam led HAL to change out the Veendam poolette w/loungers to an aft deck with four hot/cool tubs. HAL must have been able to get a handle on the problems for the Rotterdam, as it is true to the original poolette retreat concept.

So, plenty of loungers? Did I read somewhere there is a movie screen? That sounds awful.

There is a big movie screen but they never had it playing when we sailed Veendam in August. We thought that area was destroyed with those ridiculous hot tubs that block the view. At least if we could have sat and enjoyed the view it would have been pleasant.

There are lounge chairs set up around the deck area. You can get sun out on deck at Retreat.

What is it you dislike about the retreat?

I think Sail summed it up. It's not an attractive addition to the ship. It replaces a pool that served us much better. Now, it's a few wading pools and some loungers . I've heard the screen isn't used.

I had a lanai on Veendam, and except for the fact that they were painting tthe promenade deck while we were in bermuda(5 days), I had no complaints about the cabin. There were some plumbing issues a few cabins down from me but I've heard those were fixed.

If you're thinking of sailing on Veendam, the retreat isn't a reason not to sail.

Edited by mamaofami

I agree with Carol.

We enjoyed our time on Veendam and she exceeded our expectations. It had been many years since we had sailed her and after all I read here, we were reluctant but wanted the itinerary that was offered only that one week on that ship with our friends.

We enjoyed everything on the ship but the Retreat. That was not enough to keep us from returning.

Retreat from port side aft looking forward(movie screen - never had anything on it during our cruise in Oct/Nov)

htvdxy.jpg

From starboard side looking toward port side forward 24c5y1d.jpg

Starboard side aft looking forward (there are tables and regular chairs under the covered part

21dekr7.jpg

Starboard side looking aft (I was standing under the covered part)

v624gw.jpg

And, port side looking toward the middle aft portion of the deck

28h3prn.jpg

First I want to make sure I have this correct:

1. The Veendam and Rotterdam are the only ships that have The Retreat instead of a Sea View Pool;

2. The consensus here is that Veendam's Retreat is mediocre-to-useless when compared to either Rotterdam's Retreat or any other ship's Sea View Pool.

I ask this because having spent 13 days on Maasdam last month (my first HAL cruise in its current form) the Sea View Pool appeared to have no function other than as a designated smoking area. The aft-facing open deck is the perfect place for a sail-away party; I'll concede that the weather was quite variable but even on the warmer days at sailaway time the HALcats were playing either in the Crow's Nest--which was packed to the gills as Trivia was always held there just before sailaway--or at the Lido Pool, where after a couple days of the retractable roof being shut you could cut the humidity with a knife. Seems to me that as Maasdam spends very little of her time in tropical climates it would be ideal for her to replace the Sea View Pool with hot tubs, loungers arranged at a better angle to the sun--and a bar that actually opens for service! (Though it appears that if my next HAL cruise is on the Veendam I will feel otherwise :confused:)

Edited by fishywood

I spent 21 days on her and love her. Yes, the Retreat area was not used that much and I can't say there was much going on with food or beverage service. Also, the hot tubs do block the view if you are sitting in the covered area. Count me in as having enjoyed the hot tubs (they really could have been warmer- 2 were tepid and 2 were around 90).

One of the things I really liked about Veendam was the other exterior decks that have loungers and chairs on them. We were on a scenic cruising intense trip and there were a multitude of places to enjoy outdoors.

First I want to make sure I have this correct:

1. The Veendam and Rotterdam are the only ships that have The Retreat instead of a Sea View Pool;

2. The consensus here is that Veendam's Retreat is mediocre-to-useless when compared to either Rotterdam's Retreat or any other ship's Sea View Pool.

I ask this because having spent 13 days on Maasdam last month (my first HAL cruise in its current form) the Sea View Pool appeared to have no function other than as a designated smoking area. The aft-facing open deck is the perfect place for a sail-away party; I'll concede that the weather was quite variable but even on the warmer days at sailaway time the HALcats were playing either in the Crow's Nest--which was packed to the gills as Trivia was always held there just before sailaway--or at the Lido Pool, where after a couple days of the retractable roof being shut you could cut the humidity with a knife. Seems to me that as Maasdam spends very little of her time in tropical climates it would be ideal for her to replace the Sea View Pool with hot tubs, loungers arranged at a better angle to the sun--and a bar that actually opens for service! (Though it appears that if my next HAL cruise is on the Veendam I will feel otherwise :confused:)

We've sailed many cruises on Maasdam and her sea view pool is fine just the way it is. I would not like to see a retreat put there, and I don't think HAL has any intentions of doing that. At least, I hope not.

We sailed Maasdam more than 30 cruises and one of DH's favorite spots on that beautiful ship is Navigation Aft Pool. He has spent months of his life enjoying that space. :) We would be heartsick for them to disturb that space. In warm weather, it is well used.... including our Canada/NE cruises.

We love the Sea View Pool on the Maasdam and the Ryndam. The "Retreat" on the Veendam doesn't bother me but then, we were in Bermuda in early May...busy during all the port days off the ship and it was too cool on the sea days to use it.

I think it would be a problem in a warm weather itinerary.

I have to say, though, it's akin to "the elephant in the room". :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, the retreat area of the Veendam ruined a beautiful ship. The number of reserved chairs on the promenade deck (for lanai passengers only) severely limited the chairs for the rest of us.

I am sorely disappointed in HAL's decision to do all that to the Veendam. In addition, the piano bar was a lot better before HAL decided to rearrange the deck. Of course, I realize that my opinion amounts to very little, but I'm entitiled to it.

The staff on the Veedam on the Bermuda cruise the last week of April, 2012 was up to HAL's standards and made the cruise pleasant in spite of the disastrous changes in the Veendam.

I think Sail summed it up. It's not an attractive addition to the ship. It replaces a pool that served us much better. Now, it's a few wading pools and some loungers . I've heard the screen isn't used.

I had a lanai on Veendam, and except for the fact that they were painting tthe promenade deck while we were in bermuda(5 days), I had no complaints about the cabin. There were some plumbing issues a few cabins down from me but I've heard those were fixed.

If you're thinking of sailing on Veendam, the retreat isn't a reason not to sail.

Thanks Carol,

I appreciate your input. Did the paint fumes prevent you from using your lanai loungers? Would you book a lanai again?

Thanks for helping.

C

Retreat from port side aft looking forward(movie screen - never had anything on it during our cruise in Oct/Nov)

htvdxy.jpg

From starboard side looking toward port side forward 24c5y1d.jpg

Starboard side aft looking forward (there are tables and regular chairs under the covered part

21dekr7.jpg

Starboard side looking aft (I was standing under the covered part)

v624gw.jpg

And, port side looking toward the middle aft portion of the deck

28h3prn.jpg

thank you so much SMOO HERE for posting the Retreat photos. It's a big help in understanding what's going on with that "elephant in the room".....LOL

Edited by Chelly

we love the sea view pool on the maasdam and the ryndam. The "retreat" on the veendam doesn't bother me but then, we were in bermuda in early may...busy during all the port days off the ship and it was too cool on the sea days to use it.

i think it would be a problem in a warm weather itinerary.

i have to say, though, it's akin to "the elephant in the room". :rolleyes:

thanks

Edited by Chelly

Thanks Carol,

I appreciate your input. Did the paint fumes prevent you from using your lanai loungers? Would you book a lanai again?

Thanks for helping.

C

Yes, Chelly. The paint fumes not only prevented us from using the lanai loungers, but they came inside the cabin and we had the front desk down several times to spray our cabin. It was a disaster for us.

Personally, I won't book a lanai again. That doesn't mean you might not get paint fumes on your balcony, but it happened to us on Veendam and Maasdam with the Lanai cabins so no more of those. It seems they do a lot of work on the promenade deck to keep it looking good.

Yes, Chelly. The paint fumes not only prevented us from using the lanai loungers, but they came inside the cabin and we had the front desk down several times to spray our cabin. It was a disaster for us.

Personally, I won't book a lanai again. That doesn't mean you might not get paint fumes on your balcony, but it happened to us on Veendam and Maasdam with the Lanai cabins so no more of those. It seems they do a lot of work on the promenade deck to keep it looking good.

Appreciate your honesty and the benefit of your experience. Looks like I'll have to go with an inside.

(p.s.hope you will join us on the Noordy TA next Oct.)

• 1 year later...

I'm on the Veendam for the 2014 VOV and needless to say, the retreat pools are not used in the Northern waters because of the temperatures.

I rather like the idea, besides there is really nothing we can do about it.

I'm on the Veendam for the 2014 VOV and needless to say, the retreat pools are not used in the Northern waters because of the temperatures.

I rather like the idea, besides there is really nothing we can do about it.

There might still be a chance for you to change 2014 to 2015 if you move quickly. ;)