Does Anyone Like the Retreat on the Veendam

Chelly

I was on the Veendam last September for a Canada/New England cruise. It was a cool weather cruise and that probably affected this, but there was usually no one out in the retreat area. It's really quite unattractive. There is a pizza place out there with really sub-par pizza. It seemed like the worker was the only person I ever saw out there. Of course, there were a few people in the hot tubs.

Any time that there's a major structural refit, there's always a chance that it will be a failure. If the refit is successful, they'll repeat it. Think retreat cabanas, spa rooms, Mix, Pinnacle Grill, etc. If the Veendam aft retrofit were successful, it would be on the rest of the R class ships by now.

Any time that there's a major structural refit, there's always a chance that it will be a failure. If the refit is successful, they'll repeat it. Think retreat cabanas, spa rooms, Mix, Pinnacle Grill, etc. If the Veendam aft retrofit were successful, it would be on the rest of the R class ships by now.

I think the original plan was to put it on more ships. For once, HAL listened to feedback and gave up on the retreat part of the refit.

POA1

I suspect the water damage pouring down into MDR and through cabins might have been a clue it wasn't a great idea. Some of remember they had to hang netting over a part of the MDR ceiling to prevent glass light fixtures from falling onto tables/people. Only Rotterdam and Veendam got Retreat. Veendam's was such a disaster, they did a refit of the refit and this is what we now suffer.

Edited by sail7seas

I suspect the water damage pouring down into MDR and through cabins might have been a clue it wasn't a great idea. Some of remember they had to hang netting over a part of the MDR ceiling to prevent glass light fixtures from falling onto tables/people. Only Rotterdam and Veendam got Retreat. Veendam's was such a disaster, they did a refit of the refit and this is what we now suffer.

Good point. No one likes a surprise water feature.

Of course, the main reason for putting in the retreat was that more cabins could be added. The capacity of the Rotterdam and Veendam are 1404 and 1350 respectively. The Maasdam holds 1258. That means some of the public venues may be a bit more crowded--another reason not to like the retreat. We did a Bermuda cruise on the Veendam and would have liked to have used the pool on a warm day. Alas, the one pool was so full of kids there was no room.

But the changes made allowed HAL to add those wonderful aft-facing cabins on two decks. I had one for Voyage of the Vikings two years ago and it was heaven to sit out on the nice big balcony and watch the sea.

4* HAL ... Elite Princess ... 800 days at sea

I haven't sailed on Veendam since they redid the Retreat. I didn't like the first one, doubt I'll care much for the second one, either. I just looked at the deck plans on the HAL site, and the picture that comes up when I click on the Retreat is the first version.

Also, is the Oasis a kid place? I recall looking at it and thinking it looked like a great place to relax, but it was supposed to be a kid place. Is that true?

I haven't sailed on Veendam since they redid the Retreat. I didn't like the first one, doubt I'll care much for the second one, either. I just looked at the deck plans on the HAL site, and the picture that comes up when I click on the Retreat is the first version.

Also, is the Oasis a kid place? I recall looking at it and thinking it looked like a great place to relax, but it was supposed to be a kid place. Is that true?

Oasis is a kids place.