Greetings from the Pacific Princess

rdsqrl

After catching a glimpse of my two very large bruises, I was on the point of calling the Purser's Desk; however, the scooter has disappeared from the hallway, so perhaps someone else spoke up. And yes, I'm quite aware of Edmund Burke's aphorism . . .

Have I mentioned how good the food is on this cruise? Today was the seafood buffet. I ate at least a dozen mussels, which were divine. And I had a slice of Tarantina pizza, which was also delicious. After eating so much, I then spent an hour on the elliptical machine. It's nice that Torquemada had a second career in the recreation and fitness business . . .

Today's trivia involved the audience submitting questions. This was stupid, as there was no way to vet their supplied "correct" answer. At least two of the answers were totally wrong, and that's just the ones I'm sure about.

By the way, we have had no Christmas music whatsoever, although the ship is decorated (but very inconspicuously and in an easy-to-ignore fashion). Frankie Boy said on this morning's Wake Show that it's because "corporate" hasn't sent them their holiday music CD yet. What a load of bollocks.

Very, very windy out by the pool today. Lounger backs were mostly bent double, but every now and then a wind would catch them just right and they'd pop into the upright position as though startled by the gust. Pool water still deliciously warm. I could have stayed in there all day (because the wind was bloody cold when you climb out all wet!!).

We're currently rocking and rolling. The stars are brightly twinkling. And the dj in Pacific Lounge has promised to play me more Adele and Jay-Z music. So I'm off. G'night, all.

you are spot on about the cruise director, and the lack of activities on this cruise. after reading the patter today we are hopeful that he is getting off at the next port. love your posts and congrats on your dr. great milestone.

Edited by bcnvcanada
gr

Annie I'm glad you've been able to get much needed R&R in the sun by the pool or at least in that "warm" pool water.

Sorry about your CD, good ones are great and bad ones are AWFUL! :eek:

Maybe some head honcho read your comments about the strange deserts and replaced the executive chef just for you. :D I'm sure that the trivia session with the "audience submitting questions" must have driven you crazy. :p

Continue to enjoy, Barb

Edited by larsen

thanks so much for allowing us to cruise virtually with you Annie.

Quick question, how much in advance do you get the dining room menu? We have a free booking to Sterling Steakhouse on our cruise and are wondering if we will be able to pick the night according to what they are serving in the dining room.

And since ours will be an Alaskan cruise, the pool will likely not get much use LOL

Skrap, I have never booked a specialty so can't say for sure, but I believe that on most ships, the person taking bookings on embarkation day has all the cruise's menus available, so you can pick the weakest night. It's too bad they no longer name them; that way, you could see at a glance which nights to avoid (Oriental Night - I still shudder with horror...).

Tonight hit a new low for entertainment. The comedian (Tom Briscoe; not as funny as Al Katz was, but still better than lame singing duo) was scheduled for a before dinner show. Since when is a stand-up comic "pre-dinner" entertainment? That was apparently so he would not conflict with tonight's gala entertainment, "Country Western Night." Well, saddle me up and hogtie me silly . . . because that's the only way you'll get me to endure ANYTHING either country or western. Not to be a total Eastern Elitist Snob, but really.

Today has been exceptionally rough. The deliciously warm pool water became out-of-bounds around 2, as a set of assorted uniforms arrived with netting and severe frowns and shaking of heads. Meanwhile, a shrieking alarm was going off inside a closet on the jogging track over the pool. Very exciting up on Deck 9 today . . .

This afternoon was another go at "Jeopardized Trivia." I have only scathing comments to make about it, so will stop now.

Dinner tonight was Italian Night -- at last!! The eggplant parm was succulent, the veal marsala tender and sweet, the Barolo ripe and jammy, and the tiramisu was a religious experience. The lemoncello was a tad too sweet, but no great meal is complete without one minor flaw you can harp on for the rest of the evening.

Tomorrow, rumour has it we will sight land for the first time in five days. I have mixed emotions about this. They call it "Bermuda"; I myself am sure we are sailing very near to the edge of the known world and will instead fall off and be eaten by monsters.

Ciao from the beautiful Pacific Princess.

rdsqrl.....Thanks for the reports on PP, lovely ship, been on her. We have American friends on board, Cindi and Bob who embarked in Athens and disembark in FL on 23rd December. They E mailed us, you had some rough seas across the Atlantic?

Safe travels to all.

Edited by NSWP

Intersting to to see what you think rough weather is. I fished the Bering Sea for 30 years on boats under 110 ft.Pacific princess jan 6th 2014

Well, since you're not onboard with us, you'll never know, now will you? If the captain says it's rough, then I take him at his word. Why don't you try your patronizing act on him?

Bermuda today was lovely -- exceptionally good weather, about 75 and sunny. I picked up my mother's favourite hard candies at Marks & Spencer (I made the mistake years ago of bringing her these particular M&S candies from London and now every trip, I'm tasked with candy shopping). I also did some light sightseeing, and then enjoyed our very early sailaway. Complete with empty pool. I understand why yesterday they drained it; I don't understand why today, when we're safely docked in port under the hottest sky we've had all cruise, they didn't re-fill it. Even now, we hardly have swells enough to make the pool water slosh about. I'm drafting my complaint letter to Captain Austin . . .

Tonight's dinner was the Chef's menu, which means, [all together now:] Goat Cheese Souffle. Heavenly. And Chocolate Decadence to end. It will be interesting to see how they top tonight's menu tomorrow night on the last formal night.

Most of the already-limited seating in the Club Bar has been removed to enable three 6-foot tables showcasing gingerbread houses. Just another annoying little niggle; I blame Frankie Boy. Put the bloody displays in the atrium on deck 4, where there's tons of room and bring back seats so people can have a civilized pre-dinner drink sitting down.

Tonight's entertainment is some violin duo, but not violin as in classical music. I think they play contemporary music or something. The description sounded dire. Liar's Club was on at 9.30 -- again, way too early for us late-seating diners to make. Sammy Goldstein is playing hits of the 50s, 60s, and 70s . . . which means, music still way too modern for his core audience. He also will take requests. I intend to ask for Lady Gaga.

Crew are everywhere, I mean everywhere, cleaning, polishing, and primping in advance of our Coast Guard inspection in Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't put that much effort into studying for my doctoral exams. . .

Speaking of the dreaded FLL, I actually packed my big suitcase today. I feel so virtuous. Oh, by the way, no EZ Check available this cruise. The option wasn't listed on the disembarkation questionnaire and I actually asked about it at the desk and they said no. Bummer. Oh, well, at least we're not in port with either of the Behemoths of the Seas, so the airport shouldn't be too awful.

I took lots more ship photos today. If there's anything onboard that anyone particularly wants a photo of, get your orders in now!

Well, since you're not onboard with us, you'll never know, now will you? If the captain says it's rough, then I take him at his word. Why don't you try your patronizing act on him?

Bermuda today was lovely -- exceptionally good weather, about 75 and sunny. I picked up my mother's favourite hard candies at Marks & Spencer (I made the mistake years ago of bringing her these particular M&S candies from London and now every trip, I'm tasked with candy shopping). I also did some light sightseeing, and then enjoyed our very early sailaway. Complete with empty pool. I understand why yesterday they drained it; I don't understand why today, when we're safely docked in port under the hottest sky we've had all cruise, they didn't re-fill it. Even now, we hardly have swells enough to make the pool water slosh about. I'm drafting my complaint letter to Captain Austin . . .

Tonight's dinner was the Chef's menu, which means, [all together now:] Goat Cheese Souffle. Heavenly. And Chocolate Decadence to end. It will be interesting to see how they top tonight's menu tomorrow night on the last formal night.

Most of the already-limited seating in the Club Bar has been removed to enable three 6-foot tables showcasing gingerbread houses. Just another annoying little niggle; I blame Frankie Boy. Put the bloody displays in the atrium on deck 4, where there's tons of room and bring back seats so people can have a civilized pre-dinner drink sitting down.

Tonight's entertainment is some violin duo, but not violin as in classical music. I think they play contemporary music or something. The description sounded dire. Liar's Club was on at 9.30 -- again, way too early for us late-seating diners to make. Sammy Goldstein is playing hits of the 50s, 60s, and 70s . . . which means, music still way too modern for his core audience. He also will take requests. I intend to ask for Lady Gaga.

Crew are everywhere, I mean everywhere, cleaning, polishing, and primping in advance of our Coast Guard inspection in Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't put that much effort into studying for my doctoral exams. . .

Speaking of the dreaded FLL, I actually packed my big suitcase today. I feel so virtuous. Oh, by the way, no EZ Check available this cruise. The option wasn't listed on the disembarkation questionnaire and I actually asked about it at the desk and they said no. Bummer. Oh, well, at least we're not in port with either of the Behemoths of the Seas, so the airport shouldn't be too awful.

I took lots more ship photos today. If there's anything onboard that anyone particularly wants a photo of, get your orders in now!

OMG... I dream in "Goat Cheese Souffle". I hope you ordered at least two and had one for me. So delish.

Glad to know the seas have calmed a bit. Hope they fill the pool for you tomorrow.

I am arriving in Ft. Lauderdale three days after you depart... Unless.... you want to try Holland America :o. Come sail with us on the Zuiderdam on the 27th!

Have a wonderful last little bit of your journey!

My definition of rough is shown in the pictures below.

I would agree - rough seas in the pics. I have been in 12 metre (40 foot) seas off NZ on Regal Princess in 2007, roughest I have been in, Force 11 gale, not nice.

Yes I agree also with rdsqrl, if the Captain says it is rough, it is rough.

Edited by NSWP

They put the gingerbread houses WHERE? :eek: For those who don't know the ship, the Club Bar area is very small; just a small waiting area right outside the one and only dining room. The bar and a few small tables and chairs and that's it. Dumb FC.

I wanted to comment on the scooter. I think the cabin door entries are too narrow to accommodate them. The handicapped cabins are wider, but there are very few of them; two minis I know of and no balconies at all.

Just off the Crown and of course the gingerbread arrangement was in the Atrium.

The last few cruises when we travelled with a wheelchair we got a notice in the room not to leave wheelchair or scotter in the hall or they would be removed for safety sake - I'm surprised a scotter was allowed to be left in the hall for any period.

The last few cruises when we travelled with a wheelchair we got a notice in the room not to leave wheelchair or scotter in the hall or they would be removed for safety sake - I'm surprised a scotter was allowed to be left in the hall for any period.

Same thing happened to me on the Singapore-Rome on the Ocean Princess this April-May. I didn't complain, but should have. I'm the sort of guy who often goes for coffee at 5 am still only half awake and I don't need navigation hazards.

Same thing happened to me on the Singapore-Rome on the Ocean Princess this April-May. I didn't complain, but should have. I'm the sort of guy who often goes for coffee at 5 am still only half awake and I don't need navigation hazards.

And if was emergency stations in the middle of the night, say with emergency lighting only perhaps, then one would not want to negotiate a parked out corridor with loads of pax vacating their cabins at top speed.

Maybe they should empty out a cabin on each deck and park all the mobility scooters etc in there, but then on some ships, they might need a lot of cabins for that purpose, no I did not say HAL !!!

Edited by NSWP

And if was emergency stations in the middle of the night, say with emergency lighting only perhaps, then one would not want to negotiate a parked out corridor with loads of pax vacating their cabins at top speed.

Maybe they should empty out a cabin on each deck and park all the mobility scooters etc in there, but then on some ships, they might need a lot of cabins for that purpose, no I did not say HAL !!!

I took a HAL voyage in 2011. I have rarely felt so young. By comparison.

Even the crew expected to do almost everything for you and I got downright testy about getting my own coffee.

Edited by Wehwalt

Even the crew expected to do almost everything for you and I got downright testy about getting my own coffee.

Lol, my estate planner suggested that as an alternative to assisted living I that lots of HAL cruises. I am no where near that by a couple of decades I hope, but it is an interesting thought

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just FYI, it was a foldable thing -- because it was folded up and left outside leaning against the wall. And I don't give a rat's tail if the cabin door is too narrow -- then you should book a handicapped cabin or not sail. You don't get to inconvenience everyone else just because...

Lovely day today; very warm and sunny. Pool refilled, for which I thanked the captain in person at the Captain's Farewell Cocktail Party. However, and I swear I am not making this up, the water was cold. Yes, colder than it was when the ambient air temps were warmer. I prophesied this, as you can see if you look back to my first posts.

Yes, Pia, in the Club Bar. Ridiculous. You can't even find two square inches of space now in which to foregather and sip your pre-dinner martini. The screen will be blistering when I fill out my post-cruise survey about Mr. See You Around Campus Frankie Boy.

Tonight's dinner featured escargot as a menu item. Also, lobster. There were cockroaches-of-the-sea on the second formal night's menu, too. You'll have to ask someone more attuned to those creatures how the two entrees differed. Me, I had the rockfish. Which was sublime.

Tonight's show is Motor City. One of my tablemates, who is a young man hoping to get lucky with one of the dancers [in his dreams...] so can be found hanging around with them whenever he can, has informed us that this is a show that is the dancers' fave. I'm intrigued and may go just to find out why.

We won trivia today (your answer of the day: 6). We did much better as teammate who flutters her hands and says she knows nothing about (a) contemporary music, (b) history, © geography, did not attend. She's right; she knows nothing. However, her helpless dithering simply distracts the rest of us from discussing the possible right answers.

Meanwhile, the sunsets have been gorgeous -- and late. Around 6.30ish. I'm afraid the wintertime 5pm twilight at home is going to be a very unpleasant surprise in two days.

All right, I'm off to watch Motor City. Then there's the champagne tower at 11pm. Snort. Like this crowd will be awake then. I'm sure it'll be the usual crowd at the Pacific Lounge: the three barmen, the dj, and me.

Night, night.

Ripper reply mate, were they selling spare Zimmer Frames, scooter batteries and false teeth in the HAL shop ? LOL. Crikey, I am being nasty. Good job this is the Princess section, the young folk on HAL would destroy me.

rdsqrl, thanks again, great live post, oh no, Motor City still on ? Safe travel home. Yes, that Club Bar, did 3 weeks on PP in 2006, Sydney to Osaka, Japan, the Club Bar was jammed full every night, where else to go to listen to the ivories.

Edited by NSWP