snacks??

carlp

we will be on HAL for the 1st time in Janurary - we usually take either Princess or RCCL. on those 2 lines, they have a shops where you can get a number of snacks available at no charge -

cookies-sandwiches -coffee-pastries -salads

does HAL offer anything like this?

Many of these items will be available on the Lido at various times of the day. Some will also be available in the Neptune Lounge if you are eligible to use it. Room service will also supply some of these items.

Don't worry, there will always be free (included in your fare) food available somewhere.

Edited by CruiserBruce

we will be on HAL for the 1st time in Janurary - we usually take either Princess or RCCL. on those 2 lines, they have a shops where you can get a number of snacks available at no charge -

cookies-sandwiches -coffee-pastries -salads

does HAL offer anything like this?

This is one thing HAL could improve on - although there is food available somewhere all day, in the Lido or room service, or the Explorations Cafe if you buy a coffee. But I really love the Cafe Promenade on RCI ships, where there is so much available 24/7, very tasty pastries and sandwiches etc.

Coffee and Tea is available 24/7 in the Lido or through room service.

After the main buffet closes down after lunch -- usually 2 or 2:30, the sandwich area, pizza, taco, salad areas are open until about 4 PM. The Terrace Grill with hamburgers will be open until about 6 -- check your daily "On Location" for times.

Ice cream, cookies and other desserts are open until about 4. They shut down for awhile while the Lido changes over for their buffet dinner. Then they open again until about 8:30.

You do not have to buy a specialty coffee or tea in the Explorations Café to get a pastry there -- just ask and they will give it to you.

And there is room service.

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

You do not have to buy a specialty coffee or tea in the Explorations Café to get a pastry there -- just ask and they will give it to you.

No kidding...really any of the food items in there are free? I always thought that like the coffee drinks they were an extra cost??

Are cold drinks available in places other than the Lido or room service? I am talking about non-alcoholic drinks like juice or iced tea. I guess what I am asking is can I get a cold beverage without going to the Lido or my room (for room service)? Thank you. Have just booked my first HAL cruise. Kelly

No kidding...really any of the food items in there are free? I always thought that like the coffee drinks they were an extra cost??

There're usually free, but some posters have indicated in the past that when they asked for a pastry w/o buying a drink, they were told no. It's possible that the server was new....

My husband says that I cruise for that afternoon scoop of strawberry ice cream.

He might be right.

Are cold drinks available in places other than the Lido or room service? I am talking about non-alcoholic drinks like juice or iced tea. I guess what I am asking is can I get a cold beverage without going to the Lido or my room (for room service)? Thank you. Have just booked my first HAL cruise. Kelly

Regular ice tea is only available in the Lido 24/7. On some ships there is a dispenser in the Lido for punch or lemonade.

There are lots of juices available at breakfast in the Lido, main dining room.

If you go to a bar or order juices through room service, you will be charged for it.

No other place for free cold drinks.

There're usually free, but some posters have indicated in the past that when they asked for a pastry w/o buying a drink, they were told no. It's possible that the server was new....

My husband says that I cruise for that afternoon scoop of strawberry ice cream.

He might be right.

No charge for the pastries.

We have watched many people go up and ask for a pastry without buying a coffee or a tea.

Well thanks for the information, I will be trying this out in just over two weeks and let you guys know how it works for me. On a side note for me it is the after lunch bread pudding :D

Edited by waASPCrusier

Well thanks for the information, I will be trying this out in just over two weeks and let you guys know how it works for me. On a side note for me it is the after lunch bread pudding :D

Please do, because I was told by the server on the Zuiderdam that the pastries etc were only available with the purchase of a drink, in the Explorations cafe.

On the Statendam (we just left; were there Nov 3-Dec 4) lemonade was served out on the Lower Prom deck every day at 10:30 am and iced tea in the afternoon, I think it was about 2:30. It was in the On Location program daily. I liked the plastic cups they used; short and fat so they didn't spill easily. The drink staff came around with trays of glasses; you just took one.

Regular ice tea is only available in the Lido 24/7. On some ships there is a dispenser in the Lido for punch or lemonade.

No other place for free cold drinks.

So iced tea, punch and lemonade are free? I don't have a sense of what is 'free' in the line of drinks at all. Milk? hot tea? coffee? This will be my first cruise with HAL, and DCL it was all "free".

Dismomx5, the drinks you mentioned are all free--coffee, milk, lemonade & punch if they have it. I mentioned the mid-morning lemonade above, but you can always get lemon slices and sugar! The drinks you'll pay for include specialty coffees (lattes, cappuccinos either at a meal or in the specialty coffee bar at the Explorations cafe), alcoholic beverages, and sodas.

Milk--if you're coming from Disney perhaps you have kids who will want it) is available in various forms (1%, 2%, whole, maybe skim--on our 30-day cruise it wasn't available because at least for a cruise of that length all of the milk had long expiration dates and apparently skim isn't available in that format) is easily available at breakfast, either in the dining room or in the Lido. You can pick up a single-serve carton (or ask for it if there isn't self-serve available at that moment) and take it back to the cabin and keep it in the ice bucket if you'll want it later. I always have a glass or two with dinner and since we select fixed dining after the first night the steward will have it waiting for me. I think chocolate milk's available too. At lunch in the Lido a steward will go and get it for you if you ask. And from room service, you can't beat ordering milk and cookies!

This is one thing HAL could improve on - although there is food available somewhere all day, in the Lido or room service, or the Explorations Cafe if you buy a coffee. But I really love the Cafe Promenade on RCI ships, where there is so much available 24/7, very tasty pastries and sandwiches etc.

I agree that HAL doesn't have a broad enough selection of food available in the times that the Lido is closed--and the hours in the Lido are very short compared to Princess. Princess also has the International Cafe on many ships, which is open 24/7, and during most of those hours one can get practically a full meal or just a little snack.

You can buy snack food (Pringles, candy) in the shop if it's open. It's not cheap, but if you're jonesing for something, it can come in handy.

I totally agree. Have taken most of my cruises on HAL, but more recently three on Princess and one on Celebrity. HAL definitely could improve in providing snacks, especially when pax return from a shore excursion that goes past lunch hour...and either only a beverage is served on the shorex or sometimes nothing at all. I have written that on my HAL surveys...please have snacks available for returning shorex folks who do not have lunch included with their venture.

For those who have patience and can wait, the room service menu is better than that of Princess and Celebrity.

Please do, because I was told by the server on the Zuiderdam that the pastries etc were only available with the purchase of a drink, in the Explorations cafe.

I always thought so as I sat there reading thinking that would tide me over just fine without having to go back to the Lido. I will definately try it...at least once a day and let you know :)

I totally agree. Have taken most of my cruises on HAL, but more recently three on Princess and one on Celebrity. HAL definitely could improve in providing snacks, especially when pax return from a shore excursion that goes past lunch hour...and either only a beverage is served on the shorex or sometimes nothing at all. I have written that on my HAL surveys...please have snacks available for returning shorex folks who do not have lunch included with their venture.

For those who have patience and can wait, the room service menu is better than that of Princess and Celebrity.

On our recent cruise, everytime we returned mid afternoon (or just after lunch) we were able to get sandwiches at the deli, hamburgers or hot dogs at the Terrace Grill, pizza at the Retreat, or do room service. Plenty of food available.