What does "Signature of Excellence" mean?

OlsSalt

From wikipedia sourced to various footnoted articles, the following is offered as the HAL definition of "Signature of Excellence" which is more a ship infrastructure modification program, with only slight mention of improved dining and enrichment offerings:

Signature of Excellence program

In 2003, Holland America announced its "Signature of Excellence" program.

The ongoing program focuses on upgrading existing ships. The first phase included adding the Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant, the Neptune Lounge (for suite guests), the Culinary Arts Center with demonstration kitchen, expanded children’s and teens’ facilities, enhanced stateroom amenities, and improved dining and enrichment offerings.

The second phase of improvements (announced in 2008) adds a new bar lounge area called Mix, the Showroom at Sea show lounge/nightclub, the Retreat resort pool area with pizzeria and LED screen and the Canaletto Italian specialty restaurant among other enhancements.

From wikipedia sourced to various footnoted articles, the following is offered as the HAL definition of "Signature of Excellence" which is more a ship infrastructure modification program, with only slight mention of improved dining and enrichment offerings:

The ongoing program focuses on upgrading existing ships. The first phase included adding the Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant, the Neptune Lounge (for suite guests), the Culinary Arts Center with demonstration kitchen, expanded children’s and teens’ facilities, enhanced stateroom amenities, and improved dining and enrichment offerings.

The second phase of improvements (announced in 2008) adds a new bar lounge area called Mix, the Showroom at Sea show lounge/nightclub, the Retreat resort pool area with pizzeria and LED screen and the Canaletto Italian specialty restaurant among other enhancements.

I think you answered your own question. Updating of ships, introducing new dining options.

In our opinion, "Signature of Excellence" is a now 10-year-old marketing slogan to which Seattle still pays lip service, figures prominently in advertising materials, and which, based on both personal experiences and postings here, is increasingly ringing hollow.

It's a feel good marketing term. As such, as you have often pointed out, can't be believed.

What I found interesting is this was never intended to be a promise to fill your water glass without asking or greet you by name, but a ship infrastructure renovation program that unfortunately has not delivered improvements which have much passenger appeal.

As such it is a meaningless and confusing term leading to many unfounded misinterpretations. Now almost 10 years old, HAL should think about retiring it and re-dedicate its marketing theme to is strengths; and not continue setting itself up for increasing customer disappointments.

Explore the world in classic style would work better for me. And changing the Elegant Explorer to the Exotic Explorer would work better for me too.

Personally.....and I'm putting on my flame-resistant clothing....in retrospect I now consider the advent of the Signature of Excellence (SOE) program as a smoke screen for what I think have turned out to be the gradual degradation of the HAL experience. Sure, some aspects were good and, like the new beds that were introduced early on in the program, some were actually outstanding. Maybe it's nothing more than coincidence but the SOE program came about around the same time they made what for us turned out to be terrible changes to venues like the Crow's Nest and the slow but sure loss of first crew bands then contract bands that used to perform nightly. Probably unfair to blame SOE but it marked the beginning of the end for us and things have not been as excellent as they once were.

Personally.....and I'm putting on my flame-resistant clothing....in retrospect I now consider the advent of the Signature of Excellence (SOE) program as a smoke screen for what I think have turned out to be the gradual degradation of the HAL experience. Sure, some aspects were good and, like the new beds that were introduced early on in the program, some were actually outstanding. Maybe it's nothing more than coincidence but the SOE program came about around the same time they made what for us turned out to be terrible changes to venues like the Crow's Nest and the slow but sure loss of first crew bands then contract bands that used to perform nightly. Probably unfair to blame SOE but it marked the beginning of the end for us and things have not been as excellent as they once were.

I tend to agree with and am standing by with a charged fire hose.

I agree, it is time to retire this term. It is leading to confused expectations that is doing HAL no good, and does not play to their strengths which are solid.

It is a bad joke.

It has migrated from being a marketing phrase to an out and out deceptive claim.

It reminds me of the 'new and improved' claims from consumer product marketers. New and improved generally means a repackage, new look, and about 25 percent less product. So I guess from a service perspective, HAL could also claim 'new and improved' just as easily as they tout "Signature of Excellence".

Edited by iancal

It is a bad joke.

It has migrated from being a marketing phrase to an out and out deceptive claim.

It reminds me of the 'new and improved' claims from consumer product marketers. New and improved generally means a repackage, new look, and about 25 percent less product. So I guess from a service perspective, HAL could also claim 'new and improved' just as easily as they tout "Signature of Excellence".

Being a 10 year old marketing theme indicating a plan for ship infrastructure changes, it has no relevance to those who started cruising afterwards who did not know the ships the way they were before.

Edited by OlsSalt

We met someone on another cruise line ship about two years ago who claimed that he had been, in his words, "Veedamized" twice in nine months. No air and plumbing problems first time, nine months later no air (so I guess it was getting better).

He claimed that he and his wife understood 'Signature of Excellence' but had jumped ship after 20 or so cruises on HAL. Don't know how factual he was being but I had no reason to think he was exaggerating.

Edited by iancal

What I found interesting is this was never intended to be a promise to fill your water glass without asking or greet you by name, but a ship infrastructure renovation program that unfortunately has not delivered improvements which have much passenger appeal.

As such it is a meaningless and confusing term leading to many unfounded misinterpretations. Now almost 10 years old, HAL should think about retiring it and re-dedicate its marketing theme to is strengths; and not continue setting itself up for increasing customer disappointments.

Explore the world in classic style would work better for me. And changing the Elegant Explorer to the Exotic Explorer would work better for me too.

Except that HAL has continued to "milk" SofE far beyond "ship infrastructure." From the HAL website 5 minutes ago:

"Signature of Excellence enhancements encompass virtually every area of our ships and range from new facilities and public spaces to added services and amenities."

Someone reading - and believing - this can hardly be blamed for anticipating heightened cruise experiences beyond just "infrastructure." A classic business problem comes about when a company keeps believing its slogans and ignores the reality of its customer feedback.

Except that HAL has continued to "milk" SofE far beyond "ship infrastructure." From the HAL website 5 minutes ago:

"Signature of Excellence enhancements encompass virtually every area of our ships and range from new facilities and public spaces to added services and amenities."

Someone reading - and believing - this can hardly be blamed for anticipating heightened cruise experiences beyond just "infrastructure." A classic business problem comes about when a company keeps believing its slogans and ignores the reality of its customer feedback.

Key here is "added services and amenities". They are still being honest about tangible additions they have added in recent year that they think are "improvements" - spa amenity cabins, brands of toiletries, beds, Culinary Council menus, etc.

But the marketing implication of what this SOE means intangibly to various passengers needs to be reconsidered because this is where much of the growing dissatisfaction appears to come from.

Our experience of the "Signature of Excellence" program/motto is inconsistent. Many others might agree from the sound of it.

HAL might consider "Signature of Inconsistency".

Really: some ship/officers/crew try hard, very hard, others maybe not so much, to put out the product Seattle is specifying.

Seems so much depends on the few officers who decide how to handle individual elements of a cruise. Front Desk, menus, Dining Room, Pinnacle, Shorex, Shops, entertainment, on and on -- all turn in widly inconsistent service and product.

Let's not sugar coat it or make it out to be something relating to the physical ship instead of including the experience..notwithstanding if this was the orginal intention.

It is VERY clear that HAL uses the term 'Signature of Excellence' to set a potential cruise'rs expectations about the total cruise experience on a HAL ship.

Alas, there continues to be a large negative 'expectation gap' on many HAL cruises and the gap appears to be increasing. Same for a few other cruise lines as well, but not in our opinion, to the same degree.

It's a feel good marketing term. As such, as you have often pointed out, can't be believed.

:D:D That says it all.

It's something HAL used to have and some still wildly claim is still there.... and will keep on claiming while the band plays......

Just leave the Elegant Explorer alone thank you very much:D:D

It's one of the few ship where there is a signature of excellence - they do call you by name - they know who you are and are happy to do those little touches.:)

Key here is "added services and amenities". They are still being honest about tangible additions they have added in recent year that they think are "improvements" - spa amenity cabins, brands of toiletries, beds, Culinary Council menus, etc.

But the marketing implication of what this SOE means intangibly to various passengers needs to be reconsidered because this is where much of the growing dissatisfaction appears to come from.

Somehow you've convinced yourself of this. But the verbiage from their website doesn't support your argument. Have you forgotten the text from HAL's website that I posted the other day?

"Our specially trained crew takes pride in anticipating and fulfilling your every wish. From our waiters and bartenders to our chefs and wine experts, our spa technicians and fitness instructors to our officers and housekeeping staff, everyone is dedicated to providing you with the gracious and personalized service that will make your cruise vacation memorable."

Clearly, they aren't talking about physical improvements to the ships. They are talking about good old-fashioned service.

Let's not sugar coat it or make it out to be something relating to the physical ship instead of including the experience..notwithstanding if this was the orginal intention.

It is VERY clear that HAL uses the term 'Signature of Excellence' to set a potential cruise'rs expectations about the total cruise experience on a HAL ship.

Alas, there continues to be a large negative 'expectation gap' on many HAL cruises and the gap appears to be increasing. Same for a few other cruise lines as well, but not in our opinion, to the same degree.

Apparently when this was rolled out years ago it was intended to be what they said it was: mainly infrastructure changes, with only some passing amenity changes. Beyond that, others have now interpreted SOE well beyond the original intent leading to this negative "gap in expectations" that probably was not even contemplated when the SOE marketing campaign started.

I vote they drop it, agree? I propose again: Explore the world in classic style. (One could then expects older traditions, furnishings and equipment that way, but not necessarily high "classic" service demands.)

I think they also need to drop the "pampering" promise. That really is not a signature of HAL ships, but certainly friendly, eager and professional service when requested is part of the HAL allure from our own experience.

Our experience of the "Signature of Excellence" program/motto is inconsistent. Many others might agree from the sound of it.

HAL might consider "Signature of Inconsistency".

Really: some ship/officers/crew try hard, very hard, others maybe not so much, to put out the product Seattle is specifying.

Seems so much depends on the few officers who decide how to handle individual elements of a cruise. Front Desk, menus, Dining Room, Pinnacle, Shorex, Shops, entertainment, on and on -- all turn in widly inconsistent service and product.

We got off a 42 day cruise on the Maasdam today. I was going to write a short review of our cruise and call it your "Signature of Inconsistency". I will give details later.

But I may have coined a new cruise term; we have "chair hogs"' now we have "food hogs"; hoarding of food by both staff and passengers!

As a new customer... I did not interpret the slogan to mean I will be pampered and treated to a luxury cruise. I've read enough on Reagent and other lines offerings to understand that. I saw it for what it is; a slogan used for advertising just like Burger King says "have it your way"... does any other fast food restaurant really not let you have it your way? It's just a catch phrase for people to remember them with and nothing more. To me it said that they'll take care of me (feed me, entertain me, keep me in comfortable accommodations) just like all the other lines in their price point do. Everything everyone seems to be complaining about are the exact same things that I see complained about on other lines.

It is a bad joke.

From George Carlin, New and Improved is an oxymoron.

If it's New then there was nothing to improve upon.

If it's Improved then it can't be New.

Give that some thought.......:D

What does "Signature of Excellence" mean?

For me it means "Escape Completely!" - Princess slogan that has found its best implementation on HAL Signature Class ships - two outstanding ships that fill the bill.

A perfect (or at least the best available) blend of ship size, capacity, design, spaciousness, amenities, comfort, dining, spirit of sea travel and best maritime traditions.

Are all of these components best at sea?

No. Some of them are indeed best at sea, but not all of them.

What is unique?

The quality of the blend - ingredients and proportion.

Interesting to take a look at marketing slogans for the typical HAL competitors:

Princess is selling a trademarked "The Consummate Host" http://www.princess.com/why_princess/consummate_host/index.jsp

And Celebrity is now selling "1 2 3 Go!" -which gives the impression of signing up for a cruise will be quick and easy.

Edited by OlsSalt