ASSIGNED SEATING... doors will now close after 20 minutes

Elaine515

A question on this please.

We chose Anytime Dining on our cruise in February. It was my understanding that the ATD was in one of the main dining rooms, just a section or so, set aside for that. Is that correct?

If so, how can they 'close the doors' if people are coming in when ever they want to eat, who are signed up for ATD?

Are they literally talking about closing the doors, or just rejecting those that have assigned seating and just come late?

Cheers

Len

Assigned time seating late comers.

If I'm 20 minutes late to work its a tardy. If I'm 20 min late for a doctor, hair, or any other appointment it gets cancelled. Why should dinner be different.

If I'm 20 minutes late for a doctor appointment, I'm still probably early. :p

I don't see this as a big deal. It seems the trend is for Your Time Dining anyway, and as long as you show up during the stated hours, you aren't late.

This is one way to push those on the fence in that direction.

If I'm 20 minutes late to work its a tardy. If I'm 20 min late for a doctor, hair, or any other appointment it gets cancelled. Why should dinner be different.

Dinner is choreographed. When someone in a particular serving pod is late, the servers must stop their performance and play catch up with those that are late at the expense of those that were on time.

This change back is missing one aspect. The late party should be forced to skip whatever course they were late for. In other words, no fruit cup.

It seems the trend is for Your Time Dining anyway, and as long as you show up during the stated hours, you aren't late.

This is one way to push those on the fence in that direction.

Maybe CCL will drop assigned seating altogether and become even more like NCL;).

I was brought up....if your not 15 minutes early....your late.

This mind set has served me well over the years...

LOL :D

So you're one of those people lined up at the doors to the MDR like it's a Black Friday sale in there. :eek:

Frankly I'm always a few minutes late for dinner since I will not stand in those stupid lines so if someone else is a few minutes later than me I don't really care to much as long as the wait staff is taking our drink orders. ;)

I see the waitstaff getting the shaft on this. Once passengers are denied entry to the MDR they are going to be upset and reduce/eliminate the tips because they 'did not receive' services.

CCL might need to rethink this.

They may in fact get shafted but so ? Are you saying let people do whatever they want because otherwise they may act like petulant brats ?

Should they not have to show for the safety drill ? Should they be allowed to get sloshed and get into fights ?

Just because people might get angry as a result of their own actions ,is no reason not to do the right thing.

BTW, one way to avoid this issue is to eliminate removable tips and built them in to the cruise price ,but that's another topic. ;)

Maybe CCL will drop assigned seating altogether and become even more like NCL;).
Arison did start NCL;)

I hope not I like having the same waiter every night

I like this new proposed policy

Dinner is choreographed. When someone in a particular serving pod is late, the servers must stop their performance and play catch up with those that are late at the expense of those that were on time.

This change back is missing one aspect. The late party should be forced to skip whatever course they were late for. In other words, no fruit cup.

I like the closed door. They will get the message. Too bad we can't have a camera on the door and monitors so we all can enjoy it also.:D

I have staged my evening wearables earlier in the day, and get a glass of vino,about 5-530, start the prettying process,shower, face, hair, vino, under-its,vino, jewels, pour new glass, dress, bag n shoes,,,,,mixed in with the mates doing her thing, tidy up the cabin, full glass o wine, find the music, dawdle till 8..in the DR door..on time for my 815. If it;s just me, 630..same drill ! Never late to return to ship, fit in a nap, set phone, I have never been time challenged on a cruze. Glad to see the new policy instrumented. more than 2 , or kids to dress..make a small scheduled.

I like this - this is how it used to be years ago - when they ONLY had assigned, fixed seating.

People who were late ate at a measly buffet or hot dogs/burgers

their choice

Years ago (I am talking 80's, 90's) they did more tableside service -

caesar salad, flambe mushrooms, flambe desserts, etc

so - with the new "family style" and tableside dining options, the champagne toast...that will really affect a fixed seating table if some people are late to the table

like I said before - the logisitics of "shared" dishes does not appeal to me - and one reason would be I can only imagine if there are 5 people at an 8 top - they order some apps...the latecomers plop in and scarf them up

LOL>> yeah I only do fixed seating, with a group and we have had problems with latecomers. In fact, on my Alaska cruise one woman was so late I actually asked the waiter to not bother to stop OUR service to start hers but being too "nice' he continued to do so...which left the rest of us to suffer with her catching up etc.

I just hope they follow through with it (chair hogs anyone haha)

I like the closed door. They will get the message. Too bad we can't have a camera on the door and monitors so we all can enjoy it also.:D

You know people will just pretend they don't know why the door is closed and try to enter anyway.

This will be harder to enforce in the dining rooms with split assigned and anytime dining, where there is a constant flow of people into the dining room throughout the seating. Either the hostesses will have to police the entrances and/or the waiters will have to be firm about not serving latecomers at assigned dining.

John said this wasn't final policy yet

I'd be first in line to wave the banner supporting this, but I doubt it will happen. Reviews are the game, bonuses and ship assignments are tied to reviews and no one wants a bad rating.

We've seen the worst this summer, 30 minutes late was the best a party of 12 could manage on the Glory. We don't wait for table mates beyond 10 minutes to order, and make sure the waiter knows the first time it happens.

Fingers crossed?

Edited by BallFour4

They may in fact get shafted but so ? Are you saying let people do whatever they want because otherwise they may act like petulant brats ?

Should they not have to show for the safety drill ? Should they be allowed to get sloshed and get into fights ?

Just because people might get angry as a result of their own actions ,is no reason not to do the right thing.

BTW, one way to avoid this issue is to eliminate removable tips and built them in to the cruise price ,but that's another topic. ;)

Yes, it's another topic but like most threads on this subject you will get burned for even thinking it. Oddly enough by many who flame the non-tippers:eek:. If some are denied the 'right' to the dining room then make no mistake they will exercise the 'right' not to tip. RCL, includes the tip when booking ATD, why not traditional and be done with it?

Edited by Blk_Amish

A real alternate view.:D

What's the angle, this possibly is another way for CCL to reduce

staffing in the kitchen.:cool:

CCL did the research, late arrivals cause then salad makers not to be available to create desert.

Plus the appetizer guys are not available to cut up all the cheeses,

that's on the menu, but nobody ever orders.:p