Noro is alive & well on Legend

I keep hand gel in my pockets or backpack and take wipes and immediately clean the TV remote for DH, doorknobs, telephone, safe...DH did not carry his hand gel on the ship as often as in the past and he and a friend both became ill with upper respiratory the day we left the ship.

Now, this may offend some and I apologize, but while on our last cruise, I was appalled @the number of people who put their empty water bottles into the water dispensers and refilled them. It was bad enough to see people refill their huge personal thermal cups, but come on...water bottles with the opening against the public dispenser.

Carnival had a small sign beside the beverage bar: ' drink as much as you want, but please use a clean glass." Well, the high percentage of those I saw did not.

This was disturbing to me. It didn't ruin my cruise, but...

Iv been thinking about the refill soda containers at the machines. I bet some people don't even rinse their container out all week! I'm sure that whole system is really not that sanitary.

Our experience has been that with a Noro outbreak, self-service was eliminated when a certain percentage of cases have been reported and are being treated. It takes more than 1 case to stop the self service process.

It was on Mariner a few summers ago, but not to the point of no self service. Be careful. To the OP: People here are mean when you mention Noro. They will blame you for spreading it! Noro can be in any public place. It can and will be on cruise ships. How the ship decides to handle it, is the question. All are not equal. Let's hope they do the right thing.

I am scheduled to board the Legend on Thursday also. There is already

a posting of expected delayed embarkation due to heavy sanitizing. Would rather

have to wait an hour or two, than spend days in the bathroom!! :eek:

Yikes..one of the worst things to have to deal with when you are on vacation. :(

Sooo...go ahead crew...clean...clean..clean!! Please and thank you!! ;)

Edited by island lady

Big norovrius outbreak on Legend Members cruise. No self serve any ware on ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When you say "No self serve........" -- are you saying the WJ was closed?

Could you be more specific for those who may have cruised much less than you, please.

Cruised on the Mariner after a noro outbreak prior to our New Year's cruise. This was out of Galveston. We received emails and text messages asking us not to come before 2 P.M.

Since all of the communication was done fairly late, those who came early were given a "pass" and told to come back at 2 P.M. That group was then allowed in first. Some in this group had RCL transfers from local airports. We got to the port about 1:15 P.M. and stood outside in line. Fortunately, that allowed us to be virtually just behind the pre-admitted group.

As far as the noro was concerned, we never heard of anyone that week experiencing the noro. The cruise after ours embarkation was not delayed as I recall.

When you say "No self serve........" -- are you saying the WJ was closed?

Could you be more specific for those who may have cruised much less than you, please.

Normally in the WIndjammer, there are tongs and other serving utensils that guests use to serve themselves. When there's a bad enough Noro outbreak, guests cannot touch the serving utensils. There are crewmembers stationed at all the serving areas (they get everyone to help, like the singers and dancers, etc.), and they are the only ones who touch the serving utensils.

Edited by clarea

Normally in the WIndjammer, there are tongs and other serving utensils that guests use to serve themselves. When there's a bad enough Noro outbreak, guests cannot touch the serving utensils. There are crewmembers stationed at all the serving areas (they get everyone to help, like the singers and dancers, etc.), and they are the only ones who touch the serving utensils.

I actually wish they had the crew member numbers available to do that at all times.

Those tongs get really gross sometimes. I will wash and sanitize before I eat, and then go back to

the sanitizer after I use those tongs before I would pick up that piece of toast and put

it in my mouth. Any germs that have touched one of those tongs goes right

onto my toast otherwise!! :eek: :( Yuck!!

Edited by island lady

I actually wish they had the crew member numbers available to do that at all times.

Those tongs get really gross sometimes. I will wash and sanitize before I eat, and then go back to

the sanitizer after I use those tongs before I would pick up that piece of toast and put

it in my mouth. Any germs that have touched one of those tongs goes right

onto my toast otherwise!! :eek: :( Yuck!!

You have to eat your toast with your fork and knife!;) Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.:p

You have to eat your toast with your fork and knife!;) Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.:p

LOL!!! Good idea actually!! :p

French fries too! Or probably better if I left those off my plate anyway. ;)

Now what do we do with those cookies??!! :eek: :D

Thanks for the more extensive explanation. I have been on over a dozen cruises and have been lucky (??) to have not experienced anything like a health issue on board....although I am sure it happens much less than people imagine.

We are surrounded by germs no matter where we go or HOW we utilize facilities. My DH and I are also fortunate, that germs, seem not to like us (LOL), since we get sick so rarely, even when around others who seem to have 'something'.

Just curious, does the deep cleaning in between cruises almost always solve things? Since they began doing this, do they ever have back to back outbreaks on a ship?

TIA,

Mike

They could completely sterilize the ship 100%. But all it takes is one person to carry on the Noro or other bacteria/virus onboard when they board the ship. As soon as they touch the hand rail going up the ramp onto the ship, spreading the bug has started. :eek: Remember, this is a very common virus.

Isn't it a C&A member cruise right now on Legend? Lots of experienced cruisers but that doesn't stop an outbreak. As mentioned earlier it only takes a few to start spreading the joy.

Should be some interesting stories when they get back...

Just off Legend, yes an outbreak, yes they have been thoroughly cleaning, and the staff should be commended. Not only an outbreak but swells one of the last days between 13 and 20 feet.

Hubby and I did not get sick! Was a great cruise for us! Would never go on a members cruise again! Too many people thinking they are special, lol!