Does HAL offer discounts once onboard for Pinnacle Grill?

rain_bowbrite

Sorry if this question has already been answered already. We sail next week on the Noordam and it's our first time on HAL! :D

We definitely want to try the Pinnacle Grill at least once during our cruise and possibly twice. I see that I can pre-purchase 2 dinners online at a $5 discount for $45pp. Does HAL ever offer a better deal once onboard? If so, do they offer a discount for a single dinner at Pinnacle, 2 dinners at Pinnacle, or a Pinnacle/Canaletto option? :confused:

Any info anyone has is much appreciated. Trying to figure out if it's best to pre-reserve online or if I should hold out and reserve onboard. Thanks! :)

If you can get a discount when pre-ordering, IMO that is the best way to go..

Believe HAL only gives three, four & five star Mariner discounts to frequent Psgrs...

Just got off the Ryndam yesterday...We could not get a table in the Pinnacle when they had the special le Clerq (sp?) dinner even though we are 4 star Mariners.. We tried to book it the same day & they were full..

Hope you enjoy your first HAL cruise..

Cheers, Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

On-board Zaandam last month they were offering a 2 night dining package at PG for $45pp, a $5pp discount. Other than the standard 25% discount for 3- star and 50% discount for 4 & 5-star Mariners, I've never seen another discount offered once on-board.

PG is fantastic -- I eat dinner there almost every night of whatever cruise I'm on. :)

On-board Zaandam last month they were offering a 2 night dining package at PG for $45pp, a $5pp discount. Other than the standard 25% discount for 3- star and 50% discount for 4 & 5-star Mariners, I've never seen another discount offered once on-board.

PG is fantastic -- I eat dinner there almost every night of whatever cruise I'm on. :)

Five Star Mariners have two free Pinnacle dinners per cruise.

Pinnacle was never free.

When it first appeared on Zuiderdam, there was a charge.

As KK stated, Marco Polo and Odyssey were at no additional cost.

Actually, I guess you are right. This was years ago, and on the Zaandam and Volendam. It may well have been called something else, but it was free.

Actually, I guess you are right. This was years ago, and on the Zaandam and Volendam. It may well have been called something else, but it was free.

When Rotterdam and Amsterdam came fresh from Fincantieri as new ship, they each had Odyssey Italian Restaurant..... no additional charge.

Volendam and Zaandam came from boatyard with Marco Polo Italian Restaurant..... no additional charge.

Zuiderdam was the first of the Vista ships and came from Fincantieri with "Pinnacle at Odyssey". The beautiful tile work reading 'Odyssey' had been set into the floor apparently before they decided upon making it Pinnacle. :) They left it in place and that restaruant was the first Pinnacle. It had a charge from the start.

Each new ship that followed got a Pinnacle and as the "S" ships went to dry docks, they had one added. They took the former King's Room, the Maitre d's office and a piece of Explorer's Lounge to use as the space where they are located.

IMO that is one of the best improvements/additions they made to the ships. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Wow, I see my original question has sparked a conversational walk down memory lane. Thanks for sharing the history of the free specialty restaurants the Marco Polo and Odyssey. Sounds like another one of the numerous things HAL has apparently done away with as time has passed. I would have loved to have been able to experience sailing on HAL many years ago...or on any of the cruise lines for that matter.

I've only been cruising since 2006 and I've seen the decline that has happened in those short years. Definitely not complaining though, I believe the quality and service that ALL cruise lines currently offer for the price is AMAZING. And here I am asking about specialty restaurant discounts so apparently I'm ok with the status quo of decreased quality for the masses and additional charges for the good stuff and "can I have the good stuff at a discount please". :p

Making my 2 dinner reservation today and looking forward to trying the Pinnacle as well as the food in the MDR on the Noordam! :D:D My last cruises have been on Carnival and the food has gotten just barely passable, although my experience at the Emerald specialty restaurant on the Glory is the best food in a ships specialty restaurant I've had to date. It was truly spectacular and I ended up eating there several times. It was better than what I've experienced from the specialty restaurant on Princess and NCL, although I give Le Bistro a close second to Emerald. I still think about that duck...yumm

Edited by rain_bowbrite

There were not any special offers on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruises.

Last week I made several Pinnacle reservations for a future cruise and there wasn't special thing like 2 pinnacle dinner for $45.

Krazy Kruizers, is it possible you might have might have missed the $45 2 dinner package? I'm looking at my reservation right now and it's kind of hidden. When looking at your reservation it's not under the Dining tab like you might think, it's actually under the Indulgences tab listed as the "Evenings in the Pinnacle Package" under "Dining Packages".

Evenings in the Pinnacle Package

Package includes two Pinnacle Grill dinners.* Package price is per person. *Special event dining (ie. Le Cirque, De Librije, Sommelier Dinner) in Alternative Dining venues are excluded. Packages are per person

$45.00

Edited by rain_bowbrite

Speaking of the Marco Polo --- loved the menu, honest to goodnes real Italian, top quality ingredients. The Creme Brulee was outstanding. Nothing on HAL since has even approached a true Creme Brulee.

I agree. The food in Marco Polo and Odyssey was wonderful and the service fabulous. NOTHING at Canaletto compares in any way.

We had some truly wonderful evenings in those lovely restaurants. The only down side was they were interior spaces. No windows to the outside though the restaurants were beautifully decorated.