Wonderful Royal week

hockeymom21

As you can see, I'm not much of a "poster". Much more of a "reader". With that being said, I thought I would share a little of our week on the Royal.

We left home it was 11 degrees! It was raining in Ft. Lauderdale when we arrived. Better than snow. I had pre-ordered wine from Total Wine. We picked up the wine before going to hotel. We also bought 2 wine bottle bags they sell that hold 6 bottles each.

We took shuttle from car rental return to port. We are Platinum level. Took about 25 minutes from time we got off shuttle to when we were in our room. I had 6 bottles in the wine carrier bag we bought with the wine. I put that bag in a bigger Vera Bradley tote. It went through the scanner and no one said a word about having to go over to "wine table". My husband just was carrying his wine in the carrier bag we bought. They told him to go over to "wine table". If we had walked by the wine table they never would have noticed. We paid our corkage fee. Actually, they put it on your room tab several days later. They only charged us for 10 bottles because you are each allowed a bottle. I did say to the lady at the table that I didn't mind paying but it should be better enforced if they are going to make it fair.

We were on Dolphin deck. D407. Angled balcony. Very nice room. Loved the new TV. We have had mini suites the last couple times and we both had no complaints about the room. Didn't matter to me that the mirror over the bed was gone. I didn't think it made the room seem any smaller. Bathroom was fine. We are not big people. I'm 5'4" 119 lbs. We had no issues with the toilet paper roll. I guess if you are too big to get your hand around you could take it off the holder and out it on the sink. That's one complaint I heard at least 10 times. The TP holder. But I can see how if you were a heavier person the bathroom would be small to you. I don't know how princess could change the bathroom size?

I called to see if we could do the Chef's table. We actually have been fortunate to have done it several times before. The women who answered the dine line took our information. She asked about allergies and I said my husband can't eat shrimp or lobster or crab. Well, 3 minutes later the phone rang and she said they had changed the policy. The chef makes no exceptions anymore for allergies. No big deal. We made Crown Grill reservations instead.

We walked around the ship to get our bearings. Beautiful piazza. So many different additions/changes. I'm never on vacation till I have a "Beverly Hills iced tea". Had one at the Seaview bar.

Well, here's what we did/noticed. We always start at the top and work our way to the bottom. Even if it's ships we have been on before. It's just fun to walk around. I like how the Outrigger bar is. That's deck 16 aft. They have a Bloody Mary/Margarita menu they also offer chips/salsa. I liked the sofas and new seating arrangement. I would not like to have one of those rooms in the aft because you can stand and look over railing at anyone sitting on their balcony. Just my opinion. I mentioned we loved the piazza. We spent quite a bit of time in Vines. Actually did a wine tasting one night in there. Love Vines. Love the International Cafe. They have a nice cheese assortment down there at night if you like wine/cheese.

We had late seating for dinner. We had done early and anytime. Thought we'd try late. It was just too late for me to eat. Made me tired. So honestly, we only ate in dining room 2x. We also had a table for 2. The tables are so close together you might as well be sitting with the table next to you. One other thing about the wine table at check in. They give you the option of having your wine bottles stamped so if you choose to take a bottle of your own to dinner you can. If you don't have it stamped and bring it, they will charge you $15 again. So make sure if you bring on wine you have it stamped if you want to take it to dinner or a bar. We do not walk around with bottles so we didn't have ours stamped. The dining room/Vines have nice wine lists. We bought several nice bottles.

Honestly, we never made it to a show. We tried a couple times. It is true that it is very crowded in there. We did hear a lot of complaints about that. We did enjoy "Princess Live". We took part in a couple things in their during the week. There is a bar right outside with several snacks/cookies available. Their was always someone taking drink orders in the theatre.

The only time we went to Club 6 was for the Platinum/Elite gatherings. They have nice appetizers in their almost every night. We loved the Crown Grill. Always have great meals there. We did not do Sabatini's- although I talked to one lady that loved the Sea Bass she had there. We did sit and listen to the piano player in wheelhouse bar one night. It was a little too quiet for us, but very nice. We heard Kory play in Crooners one night. He is good and I like Crooners.

We ate lunch one day at the new Alfredo's Pizzeria. It was good. The changes to the Horizon Court/Bistro were great. We ate dinner there one night. Tons of choices. Breakfast choices great. Yogurt, fruit etc. anything you could possibly want. We had pizza from Prego's. Love princess pizza. We had gelato one night using our coffee card.

We did not go to Princess Cay although the captain apologized for the rough return. We did not get off at St. Thomas. We did walk into town in St. Martin for a couple hours. I'm not a complainer but I would love different itineraries. But it's just as nice when everyone is off the ship!!

We never had a problem getting chairs. We preferred to be above the pool, not down by it because it gets shady down there. There were plenty of empty chairs even on sea days. Lots of servers walking around. I think the fountain area is useless, but that's not my call. I never saw kids playing in it when it was offered. And if you sit there you certainly are on display. The little circular pool had kids in it. They weren't bothersome by any means. We did go in the adult pool but never sat back there. I like the movies/music. Now again, this is my opinion but I don't like the cabana things or whatever they are called right next to adult pool. Seems like for the extra money they cost, I'm in the same space you are. I might not be lying on a padded lounger but I'm sitting right in front of you. And no one shuts the curtains. I don't know. Maybe it's for the padded loungers? Because it's not for privacy. There was always empty cabanas.

My husband liked the gym and the highlight of our week was using the Enclave. Just loved it. Now to me, that's worth $$. It's in the spa. Nice warm pool with jets and different showers. Heated loungers, waterbeds, and 4 saunas/ steam rooms. We went every day. Would definitely do it again.

We don't use the Sanctuary, but there were signs that it was sold out. We are not complainers. We are on vacation- not working- and on a beautiful ship. But lots of complaints we did hear. If I had one thing that bothered me it would be that although the piazza is stunning and the music is great, if you have not had dance lessons don't bother dancing. There was one couple who monopolized the dance floor every night. Danced around the whole floor and acted like it was their own show. It got to be so irritating I didn't want to sit and listen to the music. One night it got a little busy on the dance floor for them so they did a 10 minute walk/show up the stairs and I just laughed. Now I know that was just the week were were on. Probably doesn't happen all the time.

Would we sail the Royal again? Absolutely. I would get the same room too. We also had no problem with the elevators/ stairs. Sometimes there was a wait for the elevator but not long. We walked when we could. So, that's our week any questions???

Thanks for the interesting description of your week on the Royal. You reference changes to the Horizon Court. I would love to know more detail about that. We took our first Princess cruise in several years on the Emerald last week While we enjoyed the cruise very much, we were underwhelmed by the variety of food as well as quality in the Horizon Court and found the physical setup of the "gated" serving areas frustrating. Has any of this changed/improved in the Royal Princess?

As you can see, I'm not much of a "poster". Much more of a "reader". With that being said, I thought I would share a little of our week on the Royal.

We left home it was 11 degrees! It was raining in Ft. Lauderdale when we arrived. Better than snow. I had pre-ordered wine from Total Wine. We picked up the wine before going to hotel. We also bought 2 wine bottle bags they sell that hold 6 bottles each.

We took shuttle from car rental return to port. We are Platinum level. Took about 25 minutes from time we got off shuttle to when we were in our room. I had 6 bottles in the wine carrier bag we bought with the wine. I put that bag in a bigger Vera Bradley tote. It went through the scanner and no one said a word about having to go over to "wine table". My husband just was carrying his wine in the carrier bag we bought. They told him to go over to "wine table". If we had walked by the wine table they never would have noticed. We paid our corkage fee. Actually, they put it on your room tab several days later. They only charged us for 10 bottles because you are each allowed a bottle. I did say to the lady at the table that I didn't mind paying but it should be better enforced if they are going to make it fair.

We were on Dolphin deck. D407. Angled balcony. Very nice room. Loved the new TV. We have had mini suites the last couple times and we both had no complaints about the room. Didn't matter to me that the mirror over the bed was gone. I didn't think it made the room seem any smaller. Bathroom was fine. We are not big people. I'm 5'4" 119 lbs. We had no issues with the toilet paper roll. I guess if you are too big to get your hand around you could take it off the holder and out it on the sink. That's one complaint I heard at least 10 times. The TP holder. But I can see how if you were a heavier person the bathroom would be small to you. I don't know how princess could change the bathroom size?

I called to see if we could do the Chef's table. We actually have been fortunate to have done it several times before. The women who answered the dine line took our information. She asked about allergies and I said my husband can't eat shrimp or lobster or crab. Well, 3 minutes later the phone rang and she said they had changed the policy. The chef makes no exceptions anymore for allergies. No big deal. We made Crown Grill reservations instead.

We walked around the ship to get our bearings. Beautiful piazza. So many different additions/changes. I'm never on vacation till I have a "Beverly Hills iced tea". Had one at the Seaview bar.

Well, here's what we did/noticed. We always start at the top and work our way to the bottom. Even if it's ships we have been on before. It's just fun to walk around. I like how the Outrigger bar is. That's deck 16 aft. They have a Bloody Mary/Margarita menu they also offer chips/salsa. I liked the sofas and new seating arrangement. I would not like to have one of those rooms in the aft because you can stand and look over railing at anyone sitting on their balcony. Just my opinion. I mentioned we loved the piazza. We spent quite a bit of time in Vines. Actually did a wine tasting one night in there. Love Vines. Love the International Cafe. They have a nice cheese assortment down there at night if you like wine/cheese.

We had late seating for dinner. We had done early and anytime. Thought we'd try late. It was just too late for me to eat. Made me tired. So honestly, we only ate in dining room 2x. We also had a table for 2. The tables are so close together you might as well be sitting with the table next to you. One other thing about the wine table at check in. They give you the option of having your wine bottles stamped so if you choose to take a bottle of your own to dinner you can. If you don't have it stamped and bring it, they will charge you $15 again. So make sure if you bring on wine you have it stamped if you want to take it to dinner or a bar. We do not walk around with bottles so we didn't have ours stamped. The dining room/Vines have nice wine lists. We bought several nice bottles.

Honestly, we never made it to a show. We tried a couple times. It is true that it is very crowded in there. We did hear a lot of complaints about that. We did enjoy "Princess Live". We took part in a couple things in their during the week. There is a bar right outside with several snacks/cookies available. Their was always someone taking drink orders in the theatre.

The only time we went to Club 6 was for the Platinum/Elite gatherings. They have nice appetizers in their almost every night. We loved the Crown Grill. Always have great meals there. We did not do Sabatini's- although I talked to one lady that loved the Sea Bass she had there. We did sit and listen to the piano player in wheelhouse bar one night. It was a little too quiet for us, but very nice. We heard Kory play in Crooners one night. He is good and I like Crooners.

We ate lunch one day at the new Alfredo's Pizzeria. It was good. The changes to the Horizon Court/Bistro were great. We ate dinner there one night. Tons of choices. Breakfast choices great. Yogurt, fruit etc. anything you could possibly want. We had pizza from Prego's. Love princess pizza. We had gelato one night using our coffee card.

We did not go to Princess Cay although the captain apologized for the rough return. We did not get off at St. Thomas. We did walk into town in St. Martin for a couple hours. I'm not a complainer but I would love different itineraries. But it's just as nice when everyone is off the ship!!

We never had a problem getting chairs. We preferred to be above the pool, not down by it because it gets shady down there. There were plenty of empty chairs even on sea days. Lots of servers walking around. I think the fountain area is useless, but that's not my call. I never saw kids playing in it when it was offered. And if you sit there you certainly are on display. The little circular pool had kids in it. They weren't bothersome by any means. We did go in the adult pool but never sat back there. I like the movies/music. Now again, this is my opinion but I don't like the cabana things or whatever they are called right next to adult pool. Seems like for the extra money they cost, I'm in the same space you are. I might not be lying on a padded lounger but I'm sitting right in front of you. And no one shuts the curtains. I don't know. Maybe it's for the padded loungers? Because it's not for privacy. There was always empty cabanas.

My husband liked the gym and the highlight of our week was using the Enclave. Just loved it. Now to me, that's worth $$. It's in the spa. Nice warm pool with jets and different showers. Heated loungers, waterbeds, and 4 saunas/ steam rooms. We went every day. Would definitely do it again.

We don't use the Sanctuary, but there were signs that it was sold out. We are not complainers. We are on vacation- not working- and on a beautiful ship. But lots of complaints we did hear. If I had one thing that bothered me it would be that although the piazza is stunning and the music is great, if you have not had dance lessons don't bother dancing. There was one couple who monopolized the dance floor every night. Danced around the whole floor and acted like it was their own show. It got to be so irritating I didn't want to sit and listen to the music. One night it got a little busy on the dance floor for them so they did a 10 minute walk/show up the stairs and I just laughed. Now I know that was just the week were were on. Probably doesn't happen all the time.

Would we sail the Royal again? Absolutely. I would get the same room too. We also had no problem with the elevators/ stairs. Sometimes there was a wait for the elevator but not long. We walked when we could. So, that's our week any questions???

Thanks for the write up on your cruise. We are going this weekend and looking forward to being on the ship. I always pick-up something from everyone and you were no exception. We have been debating on getting the Enclave for the week. I was told they only sell 40 passes for the week , so we are going there when we get on the ship. Also, did you have any issues getting your dinner reservations , is it best to call or go there ?

Edited by fielddreamer

Thanks for the interesting description of your week on the Royal. You reference changes to the Horizon Court. I would love to know more detail about that. We took our first Princess cruise in several years on the Emerald last week While we enjoyed the cruise very much, we were underwhelmed by the variety of food as well as quality in the Horizon Court and found the physical setup of the "gated" serving areas frustrating. Has any of this changed/improved in the Royal Princess?
The Royal's Horizon Court and Bistro are 2x-3x bigger than other Princess ships. The selections are almost overwhelming and the quality very good. Even after two weeks on the ship, I kept finding more options. It's open, easy to maneuver, and there's far more seating. It's going to be very hard to go back to the older design.

About the wine...they give you the option of having your wine you brought on board stamped with their stamp to indicate that you paid the corkage fee. We don't take our wine bottle to dining room or bar, but let's say we changed our mind. We didn't have the wine stamped originally. They will recharge you another $15 because you have no stamp on your wine. Is that what you meant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write up on your cruise. We are going this weekend and looking forward to being on the ship. I always pick-up something from everyone and you were no exception. We have been debating on getting the Enclave for the week. I was told they only sell 40 passes for the week , so we are going there when we get on the ship. Also, did you have any issues getting your dinner reservations , is it best to call or go there ?

We loved the Enclave. I'm glad they only sell 40 passes. It would get crowded. We signed up right when we got on board when we were walking around. I made reservations for the Crown Grill right away when she called back to say we couldn't do Chefs table. We actually tried to go another night and they were booked.

Here is a link to some Royal Horizon Court pictures on the 'Bon Voyage Dave' thread.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40911465&postcount=566

Remember food is a very subjective thing. Some like the HC food. I found the Royal's HC food not very good.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Remember food is a very subjective thing. Some like the HC food. I found the Royal's HC food not very good.....

Bob

Yes, food is subjective. My husband and I thought that the dining room food was not nearly as good as the previous princess cruises. I was glad that I could still get the cheese plate for an appetizer. One of the other complaints we heard all week was in regards to the dining room service. We did not have that complaint v

There have been some posts that when you turn on a light at the bathroom, it also turns on a light over the bed.

Did you find this to be true?

That is not true. They are separate switches.

Hi - We were in a similar angled-balcony mini-suite and I believe the light over the bed is on the same switch as the "entry hall" light and the light in the closet area.

Great review of the Royal Princess.

Edited by S'villeGals

Were you on the December 1 to 8 Royal Princess cruise? We just got off that cruise after a truly spectacular vacation (except for the tender trip back from Princess Cays, which was one hell of a bumpy ride, if you'll pardon my language). I will post a mini revue a bit later. We also purchased week long passes to the Enclave and used them every single day; just the smell of the place would put me in a happy frame of mind! And, true to promise when we purchased our passes, the place was never, ever crowded! :)

Glad you had a great week. Did you get to see the illusionist DAVID CATS...

he is beyond amazing, saw him do an illusion with a girl where he puts a sword through her neck....he is a great showman...Don't miss the chance to see him if you can. He is only on the Royal for now...

Hi,

Great review. One year we'll have to try the Enclave as it sounds like a really relaxing place to be and more private. I haven't used the main pools on any cruise so far.

I did discover that while the card controls the power in the cabin, the bathroom light can be turned on and off individually, as well as, the lights above/behind the bed. However, just make sure you aren't in the bathroom and have your hubby/wife leave and take the card with them, or else you'll be in the dark. (like me).

We had a standard balcony room and it was big enough for us, as we also aren't large people. My biggest headache was the safe that kept opening when the closet door was opened. I had some tape with me and taped it shut. Problem solved.

I enjoyed my time on the Royal. I kind of wish Barrington (Barty) Brown had been in Crooners. We met up with him on the Emerald in 2012, after first seeing him on the Sun Princess in 1998-our first cruise. I wish I knew what ship he was/is on now.

Thanks, again, for your comments on your cruise. I enjoyed reading them.

Lynne

Were you on the December 1 to 8 Royal Princess cruise? We just got off that cruise after a truly spectacular vacation (except for the tender trip back from Princess Cays, which was one hell of a bumpy ride, if you'll pardon my language). I will post a mini revue a bit later. We also purchased week long passes to the Enclave and used them every single day; just the smell of the place would put me in a happy frame of mind! And, true to promise when we purchased our passes, the place was never, ever crowded! :)

I am so glad we didn't go to Princess Cays that day. Just watching the tenders make my stomach roll!! LOVED the Enclave!! Wasn't it great? I loved the shower on the end that had that lavender mist! I want to go back!!