Pleasant experience with a unknown person on a cruise

Dolby1000

Since we have the "rude" thread going, I'd thought I'd ask the opposite, tell us a story about how someone you didn't know (hate to use the word stranger) helped make your cruise memorable in a good way.

I'll start

Last April, on the Allure, we were seated in a row of twos. You know, tables that only seat 2 all in row. There were seven of us, 6 couples, each at their own table, and a single woman of orient descent who did not speak English very well.

This was our third night in a row that the 7 us happened to be seated side-by-side. We enjoyed sharing our day and meeting each other. The single woman would smile a lot and share as best she could in her broken English. She was very warm, friendly and used to cruising alone. All of us smiled and laughed throughout each dinner course.

She had managed to win a rather nice bottle of champagne, we're still not quite sure how. After dinner, and before dessert, she had them open the champagne and had all of us toast to our wonderful cruise. It was so nice, seated with interesting people, strangers only days before, now being asked to share this lady's champagne. Smiles and gladness all around.

And that is cruising is all about. Meeting wonderful people and sharing a drink.

Dolby1000

Thats very nice. We are always happy to share our wine (when we have some with our table mates). We had MTD for our cruise in October on ExOS and we all liked each other so much the first night we arranged to dine together with the same wait staff every evening. By the end of the cruise we were drinking from each other's glasses and eating off each other's plates. Noro be damned people! :D

We met an elderly couple in the elevator one afternoon following our M&M and the husband asked about our and flashing Pirate Pins. I explained we were with CC, and had our M&M and I passed out little gift bags I had made. His response, I want one.:) We got such enjoyment out of his humor that I told him I would get him one. Heck I had plenty left over.:D We met them again a few nights later in the Centrum and I ran back to our room to get them each a Loot bag as I called them. They were like two little kids in a candy store searching thru their bag. He and his wife were so appreciative, that we had made their day for them. Both my husband & I found equal enjoyment that we had met such a lovely couple.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

This is a really great idea because we do. Meet so many nice people on our cruises.

My dh & ds love to do Bingo. A few years ago we happened to sit by a very nice Grandmotherly woman. By chance we ended up sitting next to her the next bingo, so we were talking and she was with her family but none of them like to play so she came alone. So we were her Bingo family. We sat next to each other for each session and she engaged the kids by asking about their cruise & what we did etc. I just thought it was really nice, especially since my younger one doesn't like to play but is "forced" to come along, so he'd have nice conversations with her. Also we don't live close to Grandma so I thought it was really nice to see their interaction with her.

We sailed last summer aboard Holland America's Westerdam. It was a family cruise; 14 family members, ages ranging from 15 months to 74 years old.

The 15 month old is my daughter, and while we had an absolutely wonderful time, this trip proved to be a bit more challenging at times than we expected (long flights, time changes, getting her out of her routine, on a cruise line that's not as kid friendly, etc). But we couldn't leave her home since that would've defeated the purpose of this family trip that we started planning before she was even conceived.

Many nights, we skipped the MDR because we felt that our daughter wouldn't last through dinner, and we wanted to be considerate towards fellow cruisers that wanted to enjoy a more sedate dining experience. One particular night, we were sitting at the lido buffet restaurant, and my daughter just had enough. She started crying and throwing things on the floor. Sure enough, we got the evil eye from some fellow passengers (the one that says "how dare you bring small children on a cruise!" :o) I quickly grabbed my daughter and took her to the lido pool area, which was deserted,

until she could calm down.

An elderly couple approached us as I sat there with my now calm daughter. The wife said to us "What a precious daughter you have, so well behaved", to which I replied "You should've seen her a few minutes ago". The elderly lady then said to me "I did see her a few minutes ago, I was sitting at a table next to you. In fact, I've been watching you guys all week long. Your kids are very well behaved, and I can tell you're doing a great job raising them. I've been commenting this to my husband every time I see you. Yes, you'll have moments like this, but don't doubt yourself."

Someone's initial reaction may have been to think that this was a bit creepy; someone "observing your kids" from afar, but I thought that her words were heartwarming, and they also made me realize that all the hard work that we had put into raising a family, and getting it together on this vacation, had completely paid off.

The elderly lady then proceeded to tell me "I have grandchildren around the same age as your children back home. Seeing your family here makes me wish that they could be here with us. It would be great if the cruise line could come up with an exchange program, where grandparents traveling without kids could swap with parents traveling with kids. That way the tired parents could take a break for a few hours, while people like us could alleviate some of the separation anxiety from our own grandkids!" We laughed a bit and said goodbye.

This elderly couple didn't have to stop and talk to us, and they didn't need to encourage us or try to make us feel better. But they did, and that's one of the memories that I'll always carry from that cruise. :)

Edited by Tapi

We and another couple we frequently cruise with are avid trivia players. On our Transatlantic cruise abord Independence, because there were a high percentage of UK cruisers, we decided (a) there would be questions asked that had a UK bent to them and (b) because of that we needed some UK assitance to round out our team of six.

On the first night, a couple walked in looking to join a team. We asked if they were British. They said yes and we begged them to join us. Turns out they are from Guernsey. Delightful couple and we had a great time. If you have ever read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" or anything else about the occupation of Guernsey during WWII, Bill [DH of the couple] was one of the children evacuated from the island just before the occupation.

With their help [there were indeed questions through the course of the event we would have missed without them], we won! As I recall, they had early dinner [the trivia was typically between sittings] but after the last night they joined us at our late sitting to share the bottle of Champagne [or at least sparkling wine] that we won.

Others examples:

1. Young couple we met on an excursion to Ephesus on our first cruise.

2. Our normal cruising group [and now good friends] we sort of fell in with because many of them were planning to sail on a Transatlantic we wanted to take.

3. Various CC members we have metthrough roll calls, M&Ms etc.

4. Couple from another ship we met while eating at Mea Culpa Pizza in Dubrovnik.

5. Having breakfast with young man and his mother from Germany who were part of our roll call on our TA. Language was a bit dicey. They knew some English and I knew a little German [although it had been 30 years or so since I left Germany] but we stumbled through.

Many many more.

Since we have the "rude" thread going, I'd thought I'd ask the opposite, tell us a story about how someone you didn't know (hate to use the word stranger) helped make your cruise memorable in a good way.

I'll start

Last April, on the Allure, we were seated in a row of twos. You know, tables that only seat 2 all in row. There were seven of us, 6 couples, each at their own table, and a single woman of orient descent who did not speak English very well.

This was our third night in a row that the 7 us happened to be seated side-by-side. We enjoyed sharing our day and meeting each other. The single woman would smile a lot and share as best she could in her broken English. She was very warm, friendly and used to cruising alone. All of us smiled and laughed throughout each dinner course.

She had managed to win a rather nice bottle of champagne, we're still not quite sure how. After dinner, and before dessert, she had them open the champagne and had all of us toast to our wonderful cruise. It was so nice, seated with interesting people, strangers only days before, now being asked to share this lady's champagne. Smiles and gladness all around.

And that is cruising is all about. Meeting wonderful people and sharing a drink.

Dolby1000

That's an awesome story!:cool:

We have met so many nice people cruising, which is honestly one of the main reasons we love it so much! We have been fortunate enough to be seated with the most awesome "strangers that we became friends with" on several cruises!:D

Getting to the point,:rolleyes:, my favorite story is from our cruise to Alaska a few years back where we instantly bonded with everyone at the table! We even had our pictures taken together at the end of the week and everyone bought them! Everytime I walk by that picture in my family room, I smile. We did Karaoke together, watched the Hubbard Glacier calf together, and just generally enjoyed each others company every time we ran into each other. One of the couples stayed an extra day in Vancouver, as we did, and we had lunch with them post cruise! This entire table still keeps in touch and I hope that we can cruise together again someday!

Tara

We sailed last summer aboard Holland America's Westerdam. It was a family cruise; 14 family members, ages ranging from 15 months to 74 years old.

The 15 month old is my daughter, and while we had an absolutely wonderful time, this trip proved to be a bit more challenging at times than we expected (long flights, time changes, getting her out of her routine, on a cruise line that's not as kid friendly, etc). But we couldn't leave her home since that would've defeated the purpose of this family trip that we started planning before she was even conceived.

Many nights, we skipped the MDR because we felt that our daughter wouldn't last through dinner, and we wanted to be considerate towards fellow cruisers that wanted to enjoy a more sedate dining experience. One particular night, we were sitting at the lido buffet restaurant, and my daughter just had enough. She started crying and throwing things on the floor. Sure enough, we got the evil eye from some fellow passengers (the one that says "how dare you bring small children on a cruise!" :o) I quickly grabbed my daughter and took her to the lido pool area, which was deserted,

until she could calm down.

An elderly couple approached us as I sat there with my now calm daughter. The wife said to us "What a precious daughter you have, so well behaved", to which I replied "You should've seen her a few minutes ago". The elderly lady then said to me "I did see her a few minutes ago, I was sitting at a table next to you. In fact, I've been watching you guys all week long. Your kids are very well behaved, and I can tell you're doing a great job raising them. I've been commenting this to my husband every time I see you. Yes, you'll have moments like this, but don't doubt yourself."

Someone's initial reaction may have been to think that this was a bit creepy; someone "observing your kids" from afar, but I thought that her words were heartwarming, and they also made me realize that all the hard work that we had put into raising a family, and getting it together on this vacation, had completely paid off.

The elderly lady then proceeded to tell me "I have grandchildren around the same age as your children back home. Seeing your family here makes me wish that they could be here with us. It would be great if the cruise line could come up with an exchange program, where grandparents traveling without kids could swap with parents traveling with kids. That way the tired parents could take a break for a few hours, while people like us could alleviate some of the separation anxiety from our own grandkids!" We laughed a bit and said goodbye.

This elderly couple didn't have to stop and talk to us, and they didn't need to encourage us or try to make us feel better. But they did, and that's one of the memories that I'll always carry from that cruise. :)

What a nice thing for them to stop and say ! :)

We usually cruise form the midwest in winter. so for the temp to be below 0 when we leave is not unusual, so we arrive to the port bundled like Eskimos. Once while at muster, we still had our midwest winter garb on, as our cabin was not ready nor had our luggage arrived. it was NJ, and for us, a balmy 40 degrees. an elderly gentleman traveling alone at our muster station was freezing, and my DH lent him his coat, as my DH was sweating and wanted it off anyway. The elderly man later bought my DH a beer and we exchanged hearty hellos, jokes, and daily stories throughout the trip. he told us he was happy to have people like us at his muster station, because if there were an emergency at least we cared enough to make sure he was ok. it felt good to make his trip enjoyable and feel more secure, just by lending an unwanted coat for 10 minutes.

Edited by saurian

What a great thread! We have met so many nice folks on cruises, we travel a lot with friends but try to cruise once or twice a year just the 2 of us, we tend to meet some very interesting people.

Last year on the Brilliance repo from Bayonne, we met two very nice couples in the CL, turned out we met every night for the entire cruise, it was really nice to meet such great people and enjoy quality time!

On our first cruise my mother and I met an older woman at the Captain's party who was sitting alone. She explained that this was her first cruise after her husband had died. We had a lovely chat with her and discovered that she lived 15 minutes from where my mom lived. We ran into her several times during the trip. At one point we were at the art auction and she and I got into a mini bidding war over a lithograph of San Francisco that both of us wanted (both of us are from the SF Bay Area). The dealer gave it to both of us which was nice (one of the benefits of lithographs). Later on we ran into her on formal night and we posed with her during one photo shoot. And at the end of the cruise I ran into her at a lecture and she mentioned that she was thinking about getting the cruise in review video but she didn't have room to pack it. I offered to mail it to her (since I was driving and not flying home after the cruise) and she was overjoyed. She rushed out to buy it and right before disembarking she gave it to me along with her address. I duly sent it off to her once I got home. Mom met with her a couple of times after the cruise, but they later lost touch. I've had other pleasant experiences, but this was the first so it holds a special place in my heart.

Last March when we were sailing with another couple on the Vision we were blessed with three other couples who were assigned to our table in the MDR. We all bonded so well that we are all cruising on the Liberty in January on the second sailing of our B2B. I can't wait to spend more time with all of them. Great group of people.

This is a lovely thread!! I love reading about these beautiful memories and bonding experiences!

For me, the biggest one we've had was on our honeymoon cruise. We flew out from the UK to Miami, and met another couple on the shuttle bus to the pre-cruise hotel. We saw them again the next morning, and discovered they were also on their honeymoon.

When we arrived at our dining table, we were delighted to find them sat with us. We joked to our waiters that the last couple would be British honeymooners as well, so when they showed up the next night (they'd booked a speciality restaurant the first night I believe!) the waiters greeted them with the title 'the last honeymooners'. We found out that whilst they were British, they weren't on their honeymoon, or even married.

During the cruise we ate together and chatted long after our meals were finished, and became friends. On the 5th night, the remaining couple announced they'd just got engaged. We drank a toast, and generally had a good evening.

The last night we spent together after the meal, playing mini-golf by moonlight, drinking in the bars til really late, before meeting for breakfast the following morning.

We're still friends with both couples now, and I'd love to think that we'll cruise together again some day!! :)

Too many to count. One couple we met in 2006 are still good friends. They've visited us in our home, we've cruised together another time and have one more booked with them for 2015. We've kept in touch with several others we've met.

We've spent great time with people we've met either at our dining table or in the DL. Meeting up for drinks, or at shows, etc. is how we've spent time together.

Most people are very nice and friendly.

Edited by BND

In the afternoon on the last full day of the cruise, we bumped into a couple at the elevators. The lady was carrying a bottle of sparkling wine, and we exchanged pleasantries as we waited for the elevator. They were going up; we were going down. Just before they got on their elevator, they offered us the bottle, because they apparently had extra and wouldn't finish it before the cruise was over. We accepted it gladly and thanked them profusely, and later that evening enjoyed sharing the bottle at dinner with our tablemates.

Too many to mention.

On the Oasis, met two rugby hooligans from Australia that spent every day at the pool bar. And they could toss 'em down. Had many a great conversation every day with them.

Also had two great roll call groups. Both times we met at sailaway, and throughout the cruise and excursions we would constantly see each other, toss a few back .... really nice people.

Thank you to everyone sharing their stories. These are the reminders of why we cruise, not to encounter rude passengers, argue to chairs or clothes, but to experience something good in life. These stories should help our visitors see why cruising is so awesome and why we do it again and again.

:D:)

2nd story - I have to share. . . . . .

During our cruise out of San Juan, on the Adventure, we sat in the Dining room with two sisters from St. Thomas and couple from Australia and a third couple from Nova Scotia. My goodness, every night we fascinating conversations about living in the Midwest (us), eastern Canada, overseas and on the islands themselves. We learned so much about each other and our cultures. Nobody judged, we all just learned, which I just love to do! We had early seating and several times they had to (politely) ask us to leave as the late seating people were starting to arrive.

All of us were foodies and we loved sharing our dishes (like someone else said, Noro be darned). We shared many ideas and recipes (I have come to love poutine, not healthy, but awesome, Vegemite - not so much). During the cruise, we actually found a place (bar) on St. Martin owned by a Canadian couple that had poutine on their menu. So of course, we tried it and then had to tell our newly found friends how awesome it was. They were bummed they missed the place, but overjoyed that we tried it. Of course, we had two Labatts with it, just to make the experience complete. Only in the Caribbean, really! :p

Shortly before our cruise, there was a program on the food network hosted by Alton Brown about sailing through islands and discovering all sorts of local food. He was fascinated by something called "johnny cake", which differed on many of the islands. Feasting on Waves, that was it.

Anyway, on one of our last island visits, to St Thomas, one of the sisters came to the table, with you guessed it, johnny cake. So, now, not only were we sharing dishes on the menu, we were tasting actual island food. It was so much fun.

Dinner companions, only when cruising and making cruising great.

Thanks again for the stories, and let's keep'em coming!

Dolby1000

Two years ago 2 friends and I took the GOS out of Panama. We knew going in that we would be on an immersion cruise and be well in the minority by speaking English. We asked for a large table, early seating. Well with the 3 of us, they ended up making it an 11 top from 10 seats. The first two couples that sat down with us had one spouse that spoke very good English and the other one not so well. Then 3 other couples traveling together joined and they were also mixed on speaking English. The 2nd night one of the men leaned over and got my attention and said his wife wanted me to know how lovely my pure white hair was and after he told me she smiled to indicated that she did request he say that. For the whole week we all communicated one way or the other and it had to be the best table that I ever was part of even though we all had to work at communicating with everyone. I will never forget that experience.

On our 3/5/13 cruise on the Explorer I had a really hard time with the nasty storm we hit on day 2. I didn't get seasick, but I ended up in medical because of several really bad panic attacks. After they gave me some medication to calm me down, I could only just wander around aimlessly. After about 12 hours of this, my poor husband was starting to look a little green. I finally convinced him I would be ok and sent him to bed.

It was formal night, so smoking wasn't allowed in the casino, only in the night cub right next to it. I ended up sitting in there with my nook, trying to keep my mind off of the storm.

I ended up chatting with 2 women for a few hours. They were really so very nice to me. They kept me distracted by telling me about all the different cruises they've been on. I remember one of the ladies had been on just about every cruise available, she was so much fun to talk to.

Anyways, those two women have no idea how much they helped me. They distracted me for so long, entertained me, and generally they just really eased my anxiety. So if either or both of you women are here on CC, thank you so much!! You were awesome!!

This is a wonderful thread and great stories, I fogot to add, the elderly couple we met in the elevator, well upon my DH & I arriving home, 1 week later a package arrives in the mail from them. In it was a bag much like you use for markets, with a Pirate on the front. Their letter, was thanking us for making their day since they were feeling under the weather and the gifts and meeting us boosted their day tremendously. Our enjoyment of cruising is in meeting the many nice people that are onboard.

This is such a lovely thread. Not a single negative thought or complaint. I wish every thread was as nice.

We have met many, many people on cruises whom we stay in touch with, but the best was a woman I met on a Celebrity Hawaii cruise. Turns out we were born one day apart (I'm the elder) and are so alike in so many ways that we have decided we are sisters.

We don't live very close to each other but we manage to visit a few times a year.