Can you take a Guitar on Board

Pattis_61

On our Jewel cruise a guy came into the Solarium and started playing his guitar. He has a women with him that I suppose was his wife. He started singing while playing. It was all religious music. It was very strange because he didn't act like he knew that anyone else was around. If you wanted a quiet Solarium to just read of sleep it could have been a problem. At first it was OK but then he went too long and too loud in my opinion.

A good friend of mine takes his electric guitar and a small amp with him when he cruises, and then plugs in his headphones into the amp so that he doesn't disturb anyone while he's playing on the balcony. It seems to work out great for him.

Had a guy on the liberty last year (he was a passenger) play for about an hour by are open cabin door while we had a group in there !!! Sing a longs...He was awesome !!!! He was just walking the halls with his guitar and stopped by are open door room/;)

Only my opinion, I personally wouldn't enjoy hearing someone playing their guitar on the balcony no matter how good they may be. This is also my cruise also and I've come for peace and solitude. If I didn't enjoy sitting on my balcony enjoying my space and time I wouldn't spring for a balcony cabin. So, while I don't know the answer to the original posters question I can say....I don't care to hear you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think a few people just need to take a chill pill.

I'm going to make the assumption that if someone brings there guitar (bagpipes, saxaphone, drums, clarinet, or kazoo), that they won't play it in an area or at a time where it will bother other people.

It's the same as being too loud, or listening to an MP3 player blaring through speakers - be considerate.

So, the reality is that yes, bring the guitar(bagpipes, saxaphone, drums, clarinet, or kazoo), but don't play it outside of my cabin door at 1am(or anywhere else where common sense dictates that you might disturb others)

And to the poster who said that you'd take a guitar over a crying baby... please re-read the post again. The point was that if someone is playing a guitar in the hallway(or balcony), and their neighbour has a baby taking a nap (or me, as I LOVE to nap on cruises), I don't want to hear any noise (guitar, loud talking, banging on walls, etc etc) from other pax.

AFAIK nothing prevents you from bringing it as the Contract and Guest Conduct Policy don't explicitly ban instruments (though the GCP does ban boom boxes and "loud radios"). However, people can complain that it's disruptive and you could be asked to stop playing it in certain areas under the disruption rules.

Remember that your idea of peaceful and relaxing music may be very different than someone else's idea. Several good examples of this might include Chinese opera (

) or "chillstep" (
), both of which some people love to relax to, while many probably would pay to have it turned off.

Only my opinion, I personally wouldn't enjoy hearing someone playing their guitar on the balcony no matter how good they may be. This is also my cruise also and I've come for peace and solitude. If I didn't enjoy sitting on my balcony enjoying my space and time I wouldn't spring for a balcony cabin. So, while I don't know the answer to the original posters question I can say....I don't care to hear you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Exactly. There are plenty of places one could play a musical instrument on a ship, a balcony 5 feet away from other guests private space isn't the place:rolleyes:

because you may end up disturbing others while doing so. and quite frequently people DO Need schooling on manners and what is and is not appropriate behavior.

sure he may be a decent player of classical guitar. but that doesn't mean others enjoying their balconies want to hear him play. or the family with the infant in the cabin next to you who desperately needs a nap but is disturbed by the noise, however pleasant.

Instruments are not banned but neither are they particularly welcome or encouraged.

At least a guitar can be put back in its box. What happens to the infant when its disturbing my peace?

While I appreciate your input, your lecture is not appreciated. I do not need to be schooled in manners, but perhaps you do. My husband (who by the way is quite good) wants to play the guitar on our balcony. Why can't people just answer a question without being rude and condescending!

I think the person who posted the idea about bringing the guitar and plugging it into headphones is a great idea.

I don't want to hear a guitar while i'm on my balcony, either. I'm sure your husband is a wonderful player, and i'm sure you both have excellent manners and wouldn't dream of playing it where it could be heard by others. Enjoy your trip!

I think the person who posted the idea about bringing the guitar and plugging it into headphones is a great idea.

I don't want to hear a guitar while i'm on my balcony, either. I'm sure your husband is a wonderful player, and i'm sure you both have excellent manners and wouldn't dream of playing it where it could be heard by others. Enjoy your trip!

What if your neighbour enjoys hearing it? Should they suffer because you're intolerant of others?

wow.....just wow....

So the random, screeching noise from a kid is ok, but a tune from a guitar isn't?

Please explain that logic to me.

Don't tell me. You cruise with your kids. So transparent.

Edited by redcard

To the OP – the answer is.... you you may bring it on board. There was a thread a while back about bringing a guitar and it evolved into a discussion that the ocean air can effect a guitar. Then of course, there was opposite posting that it was bogus because there are guitars on board for the professional musicians. (I am clueless about lots of things, guitars included!)

Regardless of your activity, baby, conversation, musical instrument, speakers etc., please be aware the noise REALLY carriers on any balcony.

m

To the OP – the answer is.... you you may bring it on board. There was a thread a while back about bringing a guitar and it evolved into a discussion that the ocean air can effect a guitar. Then of course, there was opposite posting that it was bogus because there are guitars on board for the professional musicians. (I am clueless about lots of things, guitars included!)

Regardless of your activity, baby, conversation, musical instrument, speakers etc., please be aware the noise REALLY carriers on any balcony.

m

This was my 1st thought as well. Professional musicians onboard aren't playing outside in the salty, wet ocean air. I really can't imagine that would be good for any instrument. My DD plays both the violin and guitar and I wouldn't want her risking damage to either one by bringing them aboard.

Also, the cases for both are big. I honestly don't know where either would go in a standard balcony cabin with all the other stuff we bring onboard.

...If you wanted a quiet Solarium to just read or sleep it could have been a problem. At first it was OK but then he went too long and too loud in my opinion.

IMO, the Solarium is a place for quiet and solitude, and while the decibel level can get up there at times from various sources, I think the staff should have asked him to move along. Sorry but I don't feel the Solarium is the place for a passenger's music, and really, neither is a balcony. I'm not a snob, I'm not a prude, I'm not miserable and difficult to get along with... I just would prefer to hear the ocean rather than someone's instrument. :)

What if your neighbour enjoys hearing it? Should they suffer because you're intolerant of others?

It's not intolerance. I'm pretty sure somebody is within their rights to complain about a noise disturbance on a balcony and that security would step in and stop the noise.

Edited by bilyclub

There's some really horrible, ugly people on here.

The problem with that is that they don't know I'm referring to them; they think it's everybody else.

Some people post stuff to get a reaction and many run with it.

Others are just plain old mean and crotchety and like those little M&M guys-they do exist. :( Seen them up close and personal!! Yes, on cruise ships too! and often. Close spaces have a habit of drawing attention to that kinda stuff!!!:eek:

So the random, screeching noise from a kid is ok, but a tune from a guitar isn't?

Please explain that logic to me.

Don't tell me. You cruise with your kids. So transparent.

Flawed Logic.

Just because I know you will ask, here is why your logic is flawed:

Quote #1 - the expectation isn't that someone will be playing guitar on the balcony. No one is "suffering" from not hearing the music. The expectation, or the "norm" is that you are "respectful" of your neighbours - ie, being quiet.

Quote #2 - Of course the screeching baby noise is not OK. It is certainly up to the parent of said child to do all they can to quite the child. But, you seem to be implying that "since screeching babies are on cruises, then it's a free-for-all for any type of noise".

You also mentioned that there are some cruel people here on cruise critic. Sure, there are some cruel people, but I think most posts I've read boil down to: Please don't make noise which disturbs others - whether it be guitar, or loud talking, or whatever.

It's really just common courtesy. I love music- but I would not necessarily like my top 5 songs to be blaring from my neighbours balcony.

Flawed Logic.

Just because I know you will ask, here is why your logic is flawed:

Quote #1 - the expectation isn't that someone will be playing guitar on the balcony. No one is "suffering" from not hearing the music. The expectation, or the "norm" is that you are "respectful" of your neighbours - ie, being quiet.

Quote #2 - Of course the screeching baby noise is not OK. It is certainly up to the parent of said child to do all they can to quite the child. But, you seem to be implying that "since screeching babies are on cruises, then it's a free-for-all for any type of noise".

You also mentioned that there are some cruel people here on cruise critic. Sure, there are some cruel people, but I think most posts I've read boil down to: Please don't make noise which disturbs others - whether it be guitar, or loud talking, or whatever.

It's really just common courtesy. I love music- but I would not necessarily like my top 5 songs to be blaring from my neighbours balcony.

some other differences:

1. A guitar can be safely left at home without an adult.

2. A guitar doesn't feel bad if it doesn't go on cruise.

3. An excessively noisy guitar can be quieted safely 100% of the time without breaking the law or inviting a visit from a social worker.

4. While a guitar could possibly support you in your dotage, it's not likely to be the same one you brought on your cruise.

there may be some more, besides the obvious guitars are much cheaper.

what I want to know is when they refer to "illegal drugs," do they mean "illegal everywhere?" Asks the guy from Colorado ;)