Explorer after Liberty?

dennman03

First time cruisers just returned. We were on LOS in cabin 1700 (corner aft) and we loved every minute of it. Food, entertainment, pools, cabin, etc. all excellent and the ship was gorgeous.

Now looking into next year, and we are considering Explorer of the Seas. For anyone who has been on both, we are wondering if we will be dissapointed in this ship after being on the Liberty.

We are not hugely active, and are looking to relax, enjoy the ports, pools, food, bars, entertainment.

I have a 24 hour hold on a corner aft 1688 (yes we are hooked) and just want to feel confident that the smaller/older ship wont be a let down.

Any advice from experienced cruisers would be appreciated!

First time cruisers just returned. We were on LOS in cabin 1700 (corner aft) and we loved every minute of it. Food, entertainment, pools, cabin, etc. all excellent and the ship was gorgeous.

Now looking into next year, and we are considering Explorer of the Seas. For anyone who has been on both, we are wondering if we will be dissapointed in this ship after being on the Liberty.

We are not hugely active, and are looking to relax, enjoy the ports, pools, food, bars, entertainment.

I have a 24 hour hold on a corner aft 1688 (yes we are hooked) and just want to feel confident that the smaller/older ship wont be a let down.

Any advice from experienced cruisers would be appreciated!

The ships are very similar. You will lose Sorrento's on the Promenade, and the Chop's specialty restaurant. You will also lose the Flowrider and H20 zone. If those items are not a big deal to you, then you might hardly noticed the difference. One thing Explorer has that is missing from Liberty is a Sports Bar on the Promenade.

Edited by clarea

I can't comment on Liberty but Explorer is wonderful ship. You will find it smaller but entertainment, food and activities will be similar. The Liberty has more food options as right now EOS only has 2 specialty restaurants, Portofinos and Johnny Rockets. And, there is no Flow Rider.

We have been on EOS twice and can't wait until our next cruise aboard her next September.

I like them both, but, if I had to choose it would be Explorer over Liberty. It feels a bit more personal to me. I also don't really care about the differences between the two. (flow rider or specialty restaurants) That being said, I wouldn't turn down a cruise on either of them. Enjoy yours.

There are so few difference, that I don't believe you'll miss anything.

As Clarea said, there is no Sorrentos or Chops, but you'll be able to get pizza at the Promenade Cafe, and you could still order a Chops Steak in the main dining room (I think its $14).

My first cruise was on the Liberty in 2008 and my second was Explorer this past March. Like others have said, there's no separate pizza place on the promenade. However, they do serve pizza in the cafe promenade, and it's pretty decent.

There's also no flowrider, but that didn't matter to hubby and I. I'm more of a chill on the balcony and lounge by the pool kind of girl anyways.

I liked that the Explorer was smaller, it was cozy. I also thought the crew was amazing!

If I was traveling with children, I would choose the Liberty, great pool area for kids, not so much for adults. When it is just DH and myself, I would choose Explorer. Nice sized ship, nice promenade area, nice pool area without too much kiddie things.

We don't have any problem going between the Freedom and Voyager class ships. I like having a flow rider but putting that aside the two classes are about equal for our purposes. And in some ways I might actually give the Voyager class the edge. There are a few hundred less people to deal with.

Having been on both classes (though not the Explorer) I don't think you will be missing much. We felt the the Liberty was basically the Voyager class on steroids. They have a very similar layout, same bars, etc. It's a smaller ship but we at least felt it was less crowd as well.

Does the Explorer and others in that class have a cigar lounge like Freedom class does?

As Clarea stated, yes they do. I actually like the Connoisseur Club better on the Explorer. It seems more intimate and the air filtration seems to work better as well.

Eric

We don't have any problem going between the Freedom and Voyager class ships. I like having a flow rider but putting that aside the two classes are about equal for our purposes. And in some ways I might actually give the Voyager class the edge. There are a few hundred less people to deal with.

Those few hundred will be added to the Navigator after the dry dock.

We went from Allure to Explorer. No issue. Explorer is a wonderful ship with an awesome crew and activities staff.

We really enjoy Irky on the Activities Staff. Sad to see him leave the company next year, but flying is what he's wanted to do for a long time.

We went from Allure to Explorer. No issue. Explorer is a wonderful ship with an awesome crew and activities staff.

Agreed. I loved Ex, especially after sailing on Oasis. It felt like the perfect sized ship. Large enough that there was plenty to do, but it still felt ship-likr. And the crew was fantastic!

Those few hundred will be added to the Navigator after the dry dock.

I can understand trying to maximize revenue on a ship. The Voyager class ships, in my opinion, are very well designed. I hope that tinkering with it does not degrade the cruise experience.