Ventura - Bumped off Club Dining with 4 days to go!

janieb1962

So cross, just got home from work to find a letter from P&O saying that due to customer feedback and a drop in demand for club dining, that our request has not been accommodated and we now have to be Freedom dining. Also have to book for Christmas night and new years eve on the first morning! Can't believe this as we booked before disembarking our Christmas cruise last year! fuming! Has this happened to anyone else?

When Ventura was first announced both restaurants off the atrium were to have been freedom dining, as I understand they are on the equivalent Princess ships, with only the rear one club. By the time she was launched however, one of these had become club. I understand that demand for club dining has reduced to such an extent that P&O are now reverting to the original plan.

hi Jean, yes we booked Club dining, had it confirmed status with the tickets second sitting table of 8...they said something like everyone who booked between October & 8th January has been moved as now only one dining room is reserved for Club.

Ventura has recently changed Saffron restaurant to freedom dining so now there are two freedom restaurants and one club restaurant - Bay Tree. The result is now there are only half the number of club dining tables as there were.

As you have a confirmed club booking you should go along to see the restaurant manager as soon as you board and insist on getting what you have booked and had confirmed.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I've been on to P&O customer services who said they can't do anything about it nor can anyone else, and he also said it's in the T&Cs that they can change things. however I have requested that somebody senior call me to discuss. Not a happy bunny just now, but hoping that we can resolve

Edited by janieb1962

It looks like they have only realised that there are not enough seats in the Bay Tree for everyone who had booked club dining and had it confirmed.

Ooops! it is P&O's fault and hiding behind terms and conditions is not good enough.

they should give you some form of compensation for the inconvenience. free champers, choccies and a free meal in the White Room for starters.

I suppose with the switch from two club dining restaurants to one there will be people who are disappointed and I feel for you given that you had your dining preferences confirmed. If you cannot resolve this please try and rescue the situation by considering that at least you can eat when you want and being happy with a table for 8 you will be seated as soon as you turn up.

For me, Freedom is much preferable to club but I understand it isnt for everyone.

Can't see why P&O have a problem. Just apportion part of the Freedom dining room for Club diners. Or is customer care something P&O don't do?:(:(:(

No doubt like the countless others dissatisfied with P&O you will spend your cruise money elsewhere in the future

Cb

Can't see why P&O have a problem. Just apportion part of the Freedom dining room for Club diners. Or is customer care something P&O don't do?:(:(:(

No doubt like the countless others dissatisfied with P&O you will spend your cruise money elsewhere in the future

Cb

It isn't quite as simple as that. The kitchens work in totally different ways.

It isn't quite as simple as that. The kitchens work in totally different ways.

It has been done before on Oceana, half of the freedom dining room had to be used for club early on..

Thanks Brian, I've been on to P&O customer services who said they can't do anything about it nor can anyone else, and he also said it's in the T&Cs that they can change things. however I have requested that somebody senior call me to discuss. Not a happy bunny just now, but hoping that we can resolve

Get back to them and give them ...hell.

I booked in April 2011, I have a booking confirmation that states 2nd sitting

When I paid the balance I received a email stating we had freedom dining, I've complained to our TA and P&O only to be told nothing we can do

When on Princess we absoluted hated freedom dining - RC it was fine but you could book a table each night for 8:30 which really was no different to club

Lets see what P&O have to offer

Edited by bertie1992

On a long cruise being changed to Freedom dining would be a deal-breaker for me. I would complain long and loud! We were wait-listed for club on Oceana even after booking 9 months ahead. I said this to P&O and we have club dining confirmed. I am taking ALL paperwork with me though!

When they had just one freedom restaurant, this was oversubscribed and hence they now have two freedom restaurants. However, the pendulum has swung the other was and now club dining is oversubscribed.

With three restaurants it would not be too difficult to make one restaurant flexible to cover both club and freedom and alter the percentage of each to suit the demand on each cruise, thus allowing each passenger to have what they want.

On ships with two restaurants, the availabilty will be 50:50 so it would be interesting to see how this works out.

Brian

When they had just one freedom restaurant, this was oversubscribed and hence they now have two freedom restaurants. However, the pendulum has swung the other was and now club dining is oversubscribed.With three restaurants it would not be too difficult to make one restaurant flexible to cover both club and freedom and alter the percentage of each to suit the demand on each cruise, thus allowing each passenger to have what they want.

On ships with two restaurants, the availabilty will be 50:50 so it would be interesting to see how this works out.

Brian

I suspect that freedom was more oversubscribed than club will now be, and that the trend is from club to freedom. P&O will have made the change in order to disappoint the smallest number of people.

Spoke to them again today... a customer service executive...which is probably a call centre operative, she reiterated that nothing can be done. I asked what level of exceptional customer service it was to advise me of this fundamental change with only 3 days before we go. She of course had no answer to this, but I suspect you are right that they have made this change to upset the least number of people. I asked if they were prepared to offer anything in the way of compensation....Not a chance. Will have to get over this otherwise it may ruin my cruise altogether but will certainly be more discerning in my cruise choices in future although I suspect nothing is ever guaranteed

I feel so sorry for you here. I would also be very upset.

I wonder if it might be worthwhile sending an email to David Dingle directly to say just how upset you are.

Writing to him seems to have got some people results that fail to happen if you contact the usual customer services team.

Spoke to them again today... a customer service executive...which is probably a call centre operative, she reiterated that nothing can be done. I asked what level of exceptional customer service it was to advise me of this fundamental change with only 3 days before we go. She of course had no answer to this, but I suspect you are right that they have made this change to upset the least number of people. I asked if they were prepared to offer anything in the way of compensation....Not a chance. Will have to get over this otherwise it may ruin my cruise altogether but will certainly be more discerning in my cruise choices in future although I suspect nothing is ever guaranteed

I would be very cross, personally when travelling as a couple we prefer club dining, when part of a bigger group we don't mind freedom dining, but I think the service is never as good in the freedom dining restaurants as in club. I do suspect that club dining will be phased out over time on the p&o ships.

I would be commenting very loudly on their Facebook and Twitter pages if I was in your shoes right now!