Number of formal nights to be reduced?

davecttr

We have just returned home today off Ventura and yes they have reduced the formals to 3. I was a little disappointed as I had packed 4 lovely dresses and my favourite one, I was saving for the last formal evening I didn't even get to wear, plus it would have reduced the weight of my suitcase which my poor husband had to carry.

Thanks, does anyone know if Azura have done the same in the Caribbean, it would be nice not to take unnecessary clothes.

Edited by bee-ess

We found 3 formals over 14 nights an ideal number.

I'd even reduce it to one on 7 night trips and go big on the Captains night. Make it so special that not doing it would make you feel as though you had missed out.

Edited by Thejuggler

Well if you like insulting people carry on it just retracts from your argument. You clearly have a problem with what I am saying but cannot argue against it without resorting to insults. I do not believe I have insulted you at all.

You say " My comments are based on personal experience of OV in the Caribbean only.. and are based on a conversation with the captain of OV1 in 2009, who took the trouble to sit and talk to us on the reasons for the demise of the ships.

My arguments about the future for P&O ships in the Caribbean receive some measure of support from fellow posters.

I am not saying I am right, I am expressing a point of view which is sincerely held."

If you read what I have said I do not disagree with you on the above at all. But the OV ships have to work for 12 months and not just their time in the Caribbean. The problem with them was in the summer months in the Med.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all posters who take the time to express their views.

Dai,

I am sorry if you found my tone offensive, it was not my intention to do so.I meant the comment in jest. Perhaps I should have put LOL after i.

If you read what I said you will find that I am in agreement with you over fly- cruises to the Med. I can't see it working with Ventura, but we may be proved wrong.

Enjoy your next few cruises.

We will probably wait and see what happens in the Caribbean with Britannia.

Edited by geecee1
Correctio and addition

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all posters who take the time to express their views.

Dai,

I am sorry if you found my tone offensive, it was not my intention to do so.I meant the comment in jest. Perhaps I should have put LOL after i.

If you read what I said you will find that I am in agreement with you over fly- cruises to the Med. I can't see it working with Ventura, but we may be proved wrong.

Enjoy your next few cruises.

We will probably wait and see what happens in the Caribbean with Britannia.

Geecee,

Yes we both had the wrong end of the stick. That is the problem of short text conservation. You cannot put in voice tone which changes meaning.

Looking at Britiannia. I think the recent promo looks great.

We should meet on a cruise.

Happy Christmas

Dai

We also just returned from the Ventura yesterday, I took 4 formal dresses but only wore 3 as they reduced the number of formal nights. It didn't make any difference to us although I would hate them to reduce it further.

We had another fantastic cruise in fact slightly better than the Azura in March the service was better the staff were fantastic really friendly and went the extra mile.

The entertainment was not as good but again this did not spoil the holiday in any way.

The sail away from St Maarten was brilliant and one of the best.

We met some lovely people and cannot wait to do it all again.

I've just read this whole thread and am surprised that someone said they had cruised quite a few times, but only once felt they had been on a holiday?! For me and perhaps I write as a female, the holiday starts the minute I leave home. Arrive at the port, someone takes the car, someone takes the baggage and within 40 minutes or so we are on board, unpacking and it all begins. It's such a good holiday, it's difficult for us to choose anything else now.

I've just read this whole thread and am surprised that someone said they had cruised quite a few times, but only once felt they had been on a holiday?! For me and perhaps I write as a female, the holiday starts the minute I leave home. Arrive at the port, someone takes the car, someone takes the baggage and within 40 minutes or so we are on board, unpacking and it all begins. It's such a good holiday, it's difficult for us to choose anything else now.

Spot on.

But with us living so far away we tend to have 2 extra days in a hotel near Southampton. Therefore a 14 night cruise is a 16 night holiday. :):cool:

Gan Canny

Dai

To further your thoughts, Jean, about whether a cruise is a proper holiday....

You can dress up (or not) and pop along to a restaurant without having to drive and park the car and someone serves you a wide range of lovely meals and beverages which someone else has planned, shopped for and cooked for you... Someone cleans your cabin every day and even leaves a little choccie on your bed... lots of activities and entertainment laid on and all you have to do is turn up to whatever is your choice.. I could go on and on. And the next day it starts all over again.....

That for me is a true holiday!!

On that note, Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Ocean Village was not a mistake, the mistake was to get rid of what was one of the great concepts in cruising. INMHO

Certainly not a mistake, as it did well in the winter. The problem was the cost and availability of flights to the Med in the summer.

We found 3 formals over 14 nights an ideal number.

I'd even reduce it to one on 7 night trips and go big on the Captains night. Make it so special that not doing it would make you feel as though you had missed out.

Three formal nights in a two week cruise is now fairly standard in the industry. They are usually the captain's welcome aboard dinner, a gala dinner, and a farewell dinner - all special occasions, not just nights which someone has decided will be formal to make up the required number on the cruise.