Wheel chairs and disembarkation

eby

Just departed the Silouette in Ft Laurdale .We were waiting in line for more than an hour with everyone else. My question is why are people in wheel chairs taken to the front of the line with all their family & friends. I understand some have mobility problems and need a wheel chair, but

do not understand why they get to cut in the front of the line.

As many Seniors I have medical issues but that does not mean you get to cut the line.

You can be sure that the cruise lines have spent time and money researching the best way (fastest and most efficient) to get the ship cleared to start bringing on the next group of passengers.

Having used assisted debarkation and having done it on our own, I can assure you that doing it in a wheelchair, even with the assistance of a staff member, takes a lot more time. By grouping them all in the front, they can get them all off at once, collect their bags and get through customs as quick as possible. If you had passengers in wheelchairs mixed in with everyone else, you would have dozens of bottlenecks as each wheelchair reached a narrow choke point in the line.

Now if you are going to ask, why not let them wait until last, have you ever tried to go through airport security in a wheelchair or with a medical device? I usually spend 4 to 5 times more time at security getting frisked, wanded, swabbed, p oked and prodded as someone who does not have the issues I have.

Have some faith that the cruise lines really know what they are doing when it comes to disembarking passengers.

Mike

Just departed the Silouette in Ft Laurdale .We were waiting in line for more than an hour with everyone else. My question is why are people in wheel chairs taken to the front of the line with all their family & friends. I understand some have mobility problems and need a wheel chair, but

As many Seniors I have medical issues but that does not mean you get to cut the line.

they would MUCH rather skip the front of the line if it meant they didn't need a wheelchair.

I wonder the same thing often, why do they push past me standing in a line instead of simply holding their own place in line like everyone else. There will be more time needed at security (not in issue when leaving the ship), but no more time needed to gather bags and pass thru customs to the departure transportation than anyone else there. But i'd never make an issue of it. Mind my own business and do the right thing for myself.

I have flight attendant friends, and they are always amazed at the random acts of God's great healing powers they witness during their flights. They tell of many people who need wheelchair assistance to board (so get on first stow luggage etc.) and then magically are cured of any ailment once they reach the end of the flight, and instead of waiting to be last to leave the plane with wheelchairs, now have the ability to walk again, and instead try to be first off the plane. Halleluja! Praise God! I have Been Healed!

They say they wish the gate staff wold collect a $100 refundable deposit for wheelchair users, giving the $100 back once they use the wheelchair at their destination it's so rampant.

they would MUCH rather skip the front of the line if it meant they didn't need a wheelchair.

Thanks for your very true comment spookwife, as a person who requires wheelchair assistance I agree! I would rather wait my turn in line on a cruise than have mobility issues caused by a brain bleed for the rest of my life.

Think what you want but I know for myself and I'm sure others, I find it embarassing to pass lines to be brought to the front.

As it was explained to me the reason wheelchairs are allowed to the front of lines is to keep the availability of the wheel chairs moving.

Edited by Happy2cruise

Thank you, thank you, thank you. !!!!!!! I would gladly be the very last person in line if I could walk again. I wonder, do the people who complain about this, also complain about handicap parking spaces? And might I point out that it was able bodied persons who faked a disability to skip the lines at Disney---ruining it for all disabled when Disney was forced to change their policy.

OP didn't you ever think that wheelchairs and mobility scooters can't negotiate the turns they have for those lines? I know that because I nearly tipped my scooter over when trying to negotiate those tight turns. A Celebrity rep saw this and pulled me out of line. I guess it's worth a few complainers to save on a passenger who would sue if injured trying to handle those narrow lines.

Also OP, try coming to check in a bit later in the day---we do that have never experienced long lines.

As it was explained to me the reason wheelchairs are allowed to the front of lines is to keep the availability of the wheel chairs moving.

Hi Happy2cruise,

My understanding is, that's a big part of their logic in the process. More to follow in my next post.

Hi Everyone,

I truly do not wish to get into specifics, but there could be dozens of reasons why it makes sense for those who need wheelchair assistance to move ahead of the line. My Mom is in her 80's, requires wheelchair assistance, and would never do well if she had to wait an hour or more on a line. I hope you will respect my comment, without getting into further detail.

What upsets me about this discussion, is that able-bodied folks feel compelled to make an issue out of this. From someone who's been a sole caregiver of two elderly parents for 10 years (My Dad passed away last year), I suspect the complainers have no idea of all the things we lovingly do for them on a daily basis. With all due respect, there's no need to make it all about yourself. Please have some compassion for those who require assistance. Someday, you may live to require a wheelchair, and you will have a better understanding of what happens in everyday life.

Me ? When I see folks in a wheelchair, I always think to myself : "God Bless them, and it's wonderful for them to cruise". I suppose that's why I feel it's better to take a positive approach, not point fingers at others, and always be thankful for what you have.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. !!!!!!! I would gladly be the very last person in line if I could walk again. I wonder, do the people who complain about this, also complain about handicap parking spaces? And might I point out that it was able bodied persons who faked a disability to skip the lines at Disney---ruining it for all disabled when Disney was forced to change their policy.

OP didn't you ever think that wheelchairs and mobility scooters can't negotiate the turns they have for those lines? I know that because I nearly tipped my scooter over when trying to negotiate those tight turns. A Celebrity rep saw this and pulled me out of line. I guess it's worth a few complainers to save on a passenger who would sue if injured trying to handle those narrow lines.

Also OP, try coming to check in a bit later in the day---we do that have never experienced long lines.

I agree with you 100% that a person that fakes a disability ruins it for all disabled .That my point some of the people who pass me in wheel chairs had no trouble moving in the buffet.Also I was talking about disembarkation.

When I was on the Eclipse 2 years or so ago, a gentlemen with a cane poked it into the elevator before it closed, but it just stuck out through a small opening. All dressed up for a formal night, I pulled the cane using my strength to free it from the almost closed doors. Well, everyone laughed, and we had a great time sharing the story. The elderly man's wife told him that he was an idiot, so when he got into the elevator, he told everyone that he was definitely an idiot, The entire elevator laughed! To this day we are friends!

Point being: There are so many of us that go to great lengths to assist those who are physically and mentally challenged!

Also, we may all be there some day!!!

Edited by Lastdance

T And might I point out that it was able bodied persons who faked a disability to skip the lines at Disney---ruining it for all disabled when Disney was forced to change their policy.

yes, and no. the real issue was too many people were using the GAC and the system could no longer handle the sheer numbers, so they had to narrowly define who was eligible. the other issue was that 'service' where you 'hired' a person in an ECV to be a part of your party so that you could use FP and other accommodations instead of *gasp* standing in line like the rest of the unwashed masses.

too bad nobody ever mentions the times I have waited LONGER to get on a ride because there was only one WC accessible ride vehicle or I had to go in the out door and wait forever for a CM to come by and let us on at the end.

I suffered a back injury while on my Connie cruise in September and had to use a wheelchair to debark. It may look as though wheelchair bound people go to the front of the line but actually I waited more than half an hour for a wheel chair and attendant to become available before we even started the process. If wheel chair bound passengers had to wait on long lines there would not be enough wheelchairs or attendants to get them all off the ship.

I am thankful that I am improving and probably won't need a wheelchair for my next trip. As others have written I'd much rather stand on a long line than go to the front because I have to use a wheelchair.

Barbara

I agree with you 100% that a person that fakes a disability ruins it for all disabled .That my point some of the people who pass me in wheel chairs had no trouble moving in the buffet.Also I was talking about disembarkation.

Disembarkation is run by US Immigration and Customs. If you have a complaint, take it up with one of the officers. But if you do, be prepared for a little closer inspection.

yes, and no. the real issue was too many people were using the GAC and the system could no longer handle the sheer numbers, so they had to narrowly define who was eligible. the other issue was that 'service' where you 'hired' a person in an ECV to be a part of your party so that you could use FP and other accommodations instead of *gasp* standing in line like the rest of the unwashed masses.

too bad nobody ever mentions the times I have waited LONGER to get on a ride because there was only one WC accessible ride vehicle or I had to go in the out door and wait forever for a CM to come by and let us on at the end.

I've lost my decoder ring and I'm experiencing difficulty here... :)

I have no issue with those who need help and assistance having it. I do feel though that the number of "supporters"

should be more effectively managed. Two cruises ago that disembarked in Bayonne we overheard a gentleman offering others "join him as his family" during the elite breakfast as they would get off quicker. I know at least one couple who were tight for a flight time did

I've lost my decoder ring and I'm experiencing difficulty here... :)

GAC: old version of the Disney program for those with disabilities. it has been replaces with the GAS( far more restrictive and only deals with issues that make it impossible to wait in any sort of line for a ride) I never used it as I just went onto line with my WC.

FP: Fast Pass, also going away with the rollout of the new Disney FP+ system. I have no experieence wiuth this as I won't be there til September.

ECV: electronic Convenience Vehicle. AKA scooter.

WC: wheelchair

CM: Cast member. Disney employee.

I only used these in response to an earlier post referencing Disney

I think the main reason Celebrity moves wheelchairs to the front of the line is the fact that they only have so many wheelchairs so they need to clear them quickly for use again.

I know there are people who take advantage, and shame on them as they hurt the truly disabled and annoy the rest of us. But sometimes we need to be careful how we pass that judgment. For example, someone may need a wheelchair at the airport because they need to rush to catch a plane and could not walk that fast, or they do not know how long the walk is to the gate. Once they have landed, they may not need that wheelchair as they can take their time now that they are at their destination, or perhaps they are in their home airport and know their walk is within their capability. How would we possibly know the difference? I know a lot of seniors who can walk, but not very fast, and often not very far. So sometimes they need assistance and sometimes not. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt unless they are blatantly abusing the system:)

Disembarkation is run by US Immigration and Customs. If you have a complaint, take it up with one of the officers. But if you do, be prepared for a little closer inspection.

I was talking about the long wait and people who got in front of the line,not what cause the delay.

GAC: old version of the Disney program for those with disabilities. it has been replaces with the GAS( far more restrictive and only deals with issues that make it impossible to wait in any sort of line for a ride) I never used it as I just went onto line with my WC.

FP: Fast Pass, also going away with the rollout of the new Disney FP+ system. I have no experieence wiuth this as I won't be there til September.

ECV: electronic Convenience Vehicle. AKA scooter.

WC: wheelchair

CM: Cast member. Disney employee.

I only used these in response to an earlier post referencing Disney

Thanks for the clarifications. I hadn't realized that Disney had added Acronym Land to its many holdings. :)

Edited by Fouremco

Darcie (kitty9) and Andy hit the nail on the head.

This topic effects me daily as my mother in her 80's needs assistance but so does my 50 yo sister who has MS. When we "jump" to the front of the line people have made comments, mostly to my sister, as her disability is not as obvious at first glance. Her right hand is contracted, her right leg drags as she tries to walk "normal" with a pronounced limp. With MS, fatigue is a serious issue so she would not be able to get through the airport without wheelchair assistance. By the time she gets to the gate, she is done for the day. As she describes it, i am walking in quick sand and going no where. My sister hates (yes, hates) the fact she cant do simple things like waiting in line and walking to the gate. So if you see her wheel up to the gate and then becomes one of those "miracles' who can suddenly walk...of course she can because she can walk short distances before becoming a wet noodle. Please stop judging. :(

I will also say cruising with my mom who uses a scooter and is on oxygen 24/7 is no picnic. Many folks slam elevator doors in our face, especially the last day. We do our best to plan and get out of the way but we do have to use the elevators to get off the ship. :rolleyes:

Lastly, there are many disabilities that are not "visible" so please stop judging and assuming you have caught one of these evil people line jumping just to annoy you. Compassion, understanding and empathy goes a long way. there are abusers but am hopeful they remain the minority.

Edited by H2OH!

to answer your question directly, when I assist my mom and sister it is to get them situated safely in the limo or taxi, breakdown the scooter/medical equipment and verify we have all the pieces and check that all luggage has been packed. Quite frankly it is safer for us to move ahead of the line. there have been times (albeit few and far between) my mom was nearly injured when people start pushing or getting aggressive in lines. We need to go first or last...I dont care which it is as long as we can do it safely.

Edited by H2OH!

Just because someone can go through a buffet on their own doesn't mean that they can stand in line for the time it takes to go through customs. I am able to move around the ship on my own because there are many places for me to sit and take a break. If there is any distance involved or if it means standing for a long period of time, I am unable to do this and therefore, I use a mobility scooter. Please do not be quick to judge people by what you see and then think you know about them.

First off Celebrity has no control over how Immigration and Border Security handles us ashore. Any WC bound pax would gladly trade their place in line for a set of legs they could stand in line with. The fact that almost every ambulatory pax has no feeling for a person that needs to be pushed everywhere. It is very evident when trying to get a lift on the ship. People will sprint to beat you and your pusher to the lift, they stand and chat in the doorways and look at you offendedly when asked to please move. They should sit in a WC and be pushed everywhere for an entire cruise or push someone. As Perry Grant often says in his act, "Do we care for our fellow cruisers? Of course NOT!!." Although having just returned from SI on Sunday, there were truly more carrying pax than normal. We departed with family and the were required to stand on line while we moved thru the disability line and then waited for them. A small victory for the whiners, I guess. IMO, though my wife does not fall in this category, any disabled veteran should have cart blanch in any line, but I suppose the whiners who never served would send them to the back of the line too. May God bless the whiners and I will pray they never have to be pushed around. ~ Rick

Edited by RMSeadog

Ok, so I don't use a wheelchair for getting on and off a plane because I can manage the short walk from the seating area to the plane with my limited mobility. I walk slow and with a cane and somehow that also seems to upset people because they feel I am not moving fast enough for them. Sometimes no matter what you do, it will upset people.

Edited by Happy2cruise

Hi Everyone,

I truly do not wish to get into specifics, but there could be dozens of reasons why it makes sense for those who need wheelchair assistance to move ahead of the line. My Mom is in her 80's, requires wheelchair assistance, and would never do well if she had to wait an hour or more on a line. I hope you will respect my comment, without getting into further detail.

What upsets me about this discussion, is that able-bodied folks feel compelled to make an issue out of this. From someone who's been a sole caregiver of two elderly parents for 10 years (My Dad passed away last year), I suspect the complainers have no idea of all the things we lovingly do for them on a daily basis. With all due respect, there's no need to make it all about yourself. Please have some compassion for those who require assistance. Someday, you may live to require a wheelchair, and you will have a better understanding of what happens in everyday life.

Me ? When I see folks in a wheelchair, I always think to myself : "God Bless them, and it's wonderful for them to cruise". I suppose that's why I feel it's better to take a positive approach, not point fingers at others, and always be thankful for what you have.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Andy, thank you for your totally on point comments. As someone who has lived with a mobility issue my entire life, I can honestly say (and without a bit of bitterness or animosity), that unless you live with a disability day to day, you cannot fully understand or appreciate the challenges that people like myself face on a day to day basis. It galls me that there are people on this board who would actually question why there are special procedures in place for dealing with passengers with mobility issues. To those who believe that we are given "special treatment unnecessarily" I beg to differ and hope they never have to experience the difficulties faced by someone in a wheelchair, because I am sure they would not find it pleasant. Thanks for allowing me to rant, and happy cruising!!!