Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

It's an online commuity where we can post about crusing. These threads are about Carnival (which is why I am here). Why are you here?

If you don't like Carnival, which you obviously don't, then your only purpose for posting a comment like "Why are you still sailing Carnival?" is to put people down. I'm frankly sick of it. If you think you're too good for Carnival, that's fine, but why come over here just to rub our noses in it?

If you don't like Carnival, which you obviously don't, then your only purpose for posting a comment like "Why are you still sailing Carnival?" is to put people down. I'm frankly sick of it. If you think you're too good for Carnival, that's fine, but why come over here just to rub our noses in it?

What in the world would make you think that I don't like Carnival. My comment you reference is someone who makes negative comments against Carnival here all the time. I certainly do not think I am above it. I sail it and believe strongly in the product. Not sure how you got to your view.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

What in the world would make you think that I don't like Carnival. My comment you reference is someone who makes negative comments against Carnival here all the time. I certainly do not think I am above it. I sail it and believe strongly in the product. Not sure how you got to your view.

Actually, I just read your posts as incessantly angry. Not sure what side you're on.

Edited by Lace

349 for a week is crazy cheap. It's a weekend bar bill in NYC sans food

It's so low I know many people that wouldn't book cause they were concerned what they would get lol

We have three in our OV room, price was $289 pp. My 20 year wanted to take a 10 day course for school in Upstate NY, would have cost $1500. The cruise was cheaper for 3 than the course.

Actually, I just read your posts as incessantly angry. Not sure what side you're on.

Wow I guess I will have to be more succinct. Was I trading barbs with the negative posters ? Sure have Togo back and reread.

Wow I guess I will have to be more succinct. Was I trading barbs with the negative posters ? Sure have Togo back and reread.

I guess the barbs get in the way of any useful information.

Edited by Lace

What I don't understand is, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and NYE cruises are some of the most popular for families. I would think you would hang around to do those out of NY first, and then head down south....no? There are a lot of families who want to cruise, and many of us don't want to deal with air travel. Pulling out just before three of the busiest weeks seems kind of stupid to me. There are already a ton of ships in FL during those weeks. If I wanted to fly, I have plenty of options. But, if I want to drive, not so many...and, now two less in 2014.

True but the rest of the months are light and deeply discounted. They can make more money sailing from Florida. That being said, I think the in season Née York sailings did fine.

I can't believe they'd pull out of the Northeast completely. We'd be willing to drive to Boston and possibly Baltimore for what cruising on Carnival will save us versus sailing on NCL or RCI out of NYC. I think we'll see a lot more reshuffling of home ports over the next few months, and something will end up back in NYC, and eventually, IMO, Vista will end up homed in NYC to compete with the other newest ships homed here.

As several have said...and I am in complete agreement....it's cheaper for an NYC resident to be on a cruise than "live at home".

With that being said....(and here come the flames)....if they are pulling out because of low revenues in NYC....JUST RAISE THE PRICE (a little).

Not even going to read all the comments.

I did Leg 2 of the Conquest repo (San Juan-Miami). I absolutely, positively was NOT allowed to book NO-SJ and SJ-Miami and as B2B. So NY-SJ + SJ-MI would not be allowed.

So, I got home and was going to book Leg 2 of the Pride repo from SJ-Tampa on 12/8/14 and discovered it was cancelled.

So, I'd just about decided to book 10/24 on Splendor NY-SJ and now I see the SJ-Miami and might just book that instead. I'd rather not sail from NY in the fall and have those cool sea days to start.

And I like the ports better, too. St. Croix, Martinique and Grenada would all be new to me AND it stops in Dominica - my favorite port!

As several have said...and I am in complete agreement....it's cheaper for an NYC resident to be on a cruise than "live at home".

With that being said....(and here come the flames)....if they are pulling out because of low revenues in NYC....JUST RAISE THE PRICE (a little).

No flames here. I think the reason Carnival has been pricing the Splendor so low is to sway people from booking NCL or RCI. It must be working. I was originally booked for my second cruise on the Breakaway 2/9 Then switched to the Splendor on 1/12 We are paying $949.00 for two including port and taxes. Breakaway was over $1700.00 for one less day. I aggree with others who think Carnival will go back to seasonal cruises out of NYC from April to October. Using one ship with a mix of Canada and Carribean itineraries. What they should really do if they want to compete would be to bring up a ship like the Breeze April to October. At least they can compete with NCL's Breakaway and RCI's Quantum of the Seas.

Quoted from The Baltimore Sun.

The Miami-based company said that without federal approval of its plan for curbing air pollution, it would cut back on the number of cruises and move the Pride to a dock in Tampa, Fla., in November 2014. The Pride, a 2,124-passenger ship, sails weekly from Baltimore to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

This could be the reasoning behind the withdrawal from. NY.

The Miami-based company said that without federal approval of its plan for curbing air pollution, it would cut back on the number of cruises and move the Pride to a dock in Tampa, Fla., in November 2014. The Pride, a 2,124-passenger ship, sails weekly from Baltimore to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

The Pride will replace the Legend.

Legend heading to Australia.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/carnival-cruise-lines-to-leave-baltimore-in-2014/-/10131532/20745986/-/tnqb5b/-/index.html

Edited by limoguy1

You lost me. Please explain your reasoning.

I think he means this:

Also in a year-and-a-half, new EPA rules kick in on air pollution limits for cruise ships. When they're within 200 miles of the U.S. coast, they'll be required to burn a much cleaner, but also much more expensive, fuel.

He is talking about the ECA penalties. They won't let ships burn bunker fuel (cheap) in near land (the actual distance escapes me) waters. They would have to burn a much more expensive fuel or install scrubbers on the exhaust (very pricey as well). That is the reason they pulled the Pride out of Baltimore (almost 7 hours of sailing till they reached international waters). Carnival has committed to installing scrubbers on their fleet but it will take two years to complete.

Keith, I doubt that is the same reason for New York as they are in international waters very quickly. It is much likely to be economics (especially in the colder months).

I live in the NE and like cruising from the NE ports. Now that they are canceling a few of the close to home ports. What do folks think the next marking plan will be?

I watch for deals all the time and I find cheap rates for cruises in Florida which are equal to the deals I get for cruising from Baltimore. Example: I just checked and I can purchase a cruise on 1/26/14 (my next cruise :))from Baltimore on the Pride inside cabin for $359, same date Miami on the Conquest an inside cabin $349. So the posts that say they are not making money on the winter cruises from the NE does not add up.

I think the exhaust scrubber issue is the main cause for the termination of the NE cruises. I know Carnival has commented to installing scrubbers on 23 ships across all their companies, so I hope once installed Carnival moves ships back to the NE so I don't have to fly to have a relaxing cruise.

I agree with others

who think Carnival will go back to seasonal cruises out of NYC from April to October.

Using one ship with a mix of Canada and Caribbean itineraries.

What they should really do if they want to compete

would be to bring up a ship like the Breeze, April to October.

At least they can compete with NCL's Breakaway and RCI's Quantum of the Seas.

Breeze out of NYC I would book right away.