Coach on Singapore Air NRT to LAX - how bad?

CanWeGoYet?

I booked coach seats (the 3 seat aisle) for a long flight from tokyo to LAX. We have a 3+ hour layover in LA, which I'm not too worried about because even though we'll be tired we can move about freely there while we wait.

I could have got coach seats on United for a little less through Select Air, but read that Singapore coach is so much more comfortable than United. Now I am not so sure. We are on an airbus 380-800 in one of the 3 seat aisles, and given DS wants the window seat I have the middle one. Wondering if I should have just gone with United because the reviews for the seats I have are not good. Passed on a non-stop flight, is leg room & general comfort really much better on Singapore? I get restless leg syndrome when I'm tired, so cramped leg room is really a problem for me. Wish I could justify a business class or first class seat, but this whole trip is a big splurge for us, so we are strictly coach passengers.

SQ vs UA?? I think this would be something like Nixon over McGovern.

Another tip....if you or your spouse partake of Scotch whisky, I highly recommend that you pick up a bottle of Japanese whisky in the DF store at NRT. High quality, and you'll find some that are either not available or quite difficult to get in the USA. There are guide pamphlets by Suntory (the distiller) which describe each of them. I really enjoy the Hakushu (single) and, for a blend, the Hibiki.

Plus, you have a treat for special guests. Of course, you will need to put it into your checked bag once you pass through customs in LAX, but before you redeposit your bags for the flight north. Just leave some space in the middle of the bag where a bottle could fit in, and have some soft (often "used" clothes) to wrap around the bottle to cushion it.

Note that airlines at NRT tend to board earlier than posted.

Edited by FlyerTalker

If your son really wants the window and you really want to be able to get up, why don't you take the aisle? I have done that with travel companions and it worked out fine. We don't talk nearly as much as we think when flying. I would never be subject to a middle seat on such a long flight.

If your son really wants the window and you really want to be able to get up, why don't you take the aisle? I have done that with travel companions and it worked out fine. We don't talk nearly as much as we think when flying. I would never be subject to a middle seat on such a long flight.

I was going to suggest the same. Request window/ aisle. Since the middle seat in between isn't attractive, it will fill up after all the other window and aisle seats are taken. If you're lucky you will end up with the middle seat empty. If the middle seat ends up occupied and you absolutely must sit next to your son, offer to trade your aisle for their window....I bet 95% of people will take you up on that offer. :)

Thank you all for the good feedback on Singapore Air & the advice.

I was thinking about taking the aisle seat. Just don't know about having to lean across every time we need to talk. I bet my son would like it if Mom sat at the aisle so he will get bugged less.

I was thinking about taking the aisle seat. Just don't know about having to lean across every time we need to talk. I bet my son would like it if Mom sat at the aisle so he will get bugged less.

What do you need to talk about? Between eating, sleeping and watching endless movies and tv shows (SQ A380 has great in flight entertainment; UA not so much), you'll be in your own world.

So, you are booking tickets for 3 people, not 2? I'm not sure why it would be an issue where you sit in the group of 3 seats. It would just be you and your wife changing seats, right? If you are just booking 2 seats, if the middle isn't occupied, you can sit in either seat. If the middle is sold to someone, I'm positive that person would be more than happy to switch to the aisle seat so you could sit next to your son. I have yet to meet anyone who paid to actually sit in a middle seat when they are solo ;)

So, you are booking tickets for 3 people, not 2? I'm not sure why it would be an issue where you sit in the group of 3 seats. It would just be you and your wife changing seats, right? If you are just booking 2 seats, if the middle isn't occupied, you can sit in either seat. If the middle is sold to someone, I'm positive that person would be more than happy to switch to the aisle seat so you could sit next to your son. I have yet to meet anyone who paid to actually sit in a middle seat when they are solo ;)

No, it's just me (Mom) and my son. Yes I will see if I can switch to the aisle seat. If the flight is full I guess someone will have to go for the buy the middle seat, but maybe we will luck out.

Yes I always request Window/Aisle so that way there won't be any problems later on. I especially love flying on the planes with the 2 seats as opposed to the 3 seats. What I have found for the most part is if your traveling partner has the aisle and you have the window the middle seat will remain empty if the flight is full. The middle seat is the last ones to be reserved so your chances are pretty good that it will remain open.

Singapore Air has a great Inflight Entertainment System, food and alcohol/non alcoholic beverages. I believe they serve the Singapore Sling in Coach so try it if they do. I have never flown on Singapore Air but know people who have in coach and they enjoyed it.

What I have found for the most part is if your traveling partner has the aisle and you have the window the middle seat will remain empty if the flight is full. The middle seat is the last ones to be reserved so your chances are pretty good that it will remain open.

In my experience, the vast majority of flights these days fly full or nearly so. I would not count on an empty middle seat. It will certainly happen occasionally, but I sure wouldn't count on it. If an airline is flying a route and all the middle seats are consistently empty, they'll swap the aircraft they use on that route to a smaller one, or discontinue it altogether, because it just isn't profitable for them to continue flying a route if they can only sell 2/3-3/4 of the seats.

I really appreciate the advice from all. Changed my seat to the aisle, we'll see what happens with that middle seat.

I might try that singapore sling. :) That's a drink I haven't heard the name of since the 80s. Funny how even drinks tend to come in & out of style. Anyone else remember a Smith & Kearns? :D

Edited by CanWeGoYet?