PVC...new to Oceania

Cybercsp

Hello,

We are taking our first Oceania cruise next month, which we booked through our regular TA. We received an unsolicited call from a woman who identified herself as a personal cruise consultant, and asked us to phone her to discuss upcoming itineraries on the line. I am just wondering whether this is a common occurrence and whether she is a sales agent who might be hoping that we love our cruise and book a next one through Oceania directly.

Thanks.

Actually, I would have asked that when on the phone with her...rather than posting. :confused:

It appears there was a message left;

" and asked us to phone her to discuss upcoming itineraries on the line."

I'm curious myself because I can't recall ever receiving such a call myself. My first question is if this person was from Oceania itself or not.

I could see where Oceania, noticing you are first time passenger, might want to hook you for more cruises! And if the caller is NOT from Oceania, how did she get your name and number?

Welcome to the group!

Mura

Hello,

We are taking our first Oceania cruise next month, which we booked through our regular TA. We received an unsolicited call from a woman who identified herself as a personal cruise consultant, and asked us to phone her to discuss upcoming itineraries on the line. I am just wondering whether this is a common occurrence and whether she is a sales agent who might be hoping that we love our cruise and book a next one through Oceania directly.

Thanks.

I think I might have the answer to this....

Did you go onto the Oceania website and request a Brochure? When you fill the form out: Name & Address, cruise interests, where do you want to cruise,

Are you a Travel Agent, ARE YOU WORKING WITH A TRAVEL AGENT - Yes or NO.....

I'll bet you answered the last question with a NO - I am not working with a TA.

At which point your information goes into a que to be "referred" as a potential clients in need of a Travel Agent to sell the Oceania product.

I am sure this is a referral program with travel agency who do high volume of business with Oceania/Regent.

Anyhow, JMHO

PS wish this agent would call my DH and strongly suggest his wife (me) needs an Oceania cruise from Santa!

I am sure this is a referral program with travel agency who do high volume of business with Oceania/Regent.

If this is so, it would sound awful to a small TA. I also would be disappointed to know O would pass personal info to a third party.

My bet it is an in-house pump call, from a website inquiry as you suggested.

I have not heard of that before ..does not mean it does not happen

Did you check the number they left to see if it was from Oceania ?

If you had booked already you would think this person would know that if they were representing Oceania

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I am aware of some companies entering into "business referral" programs and fees are paid for business leads.... Cold Call vs Warm Call???

I have no direct knowledge that Oceania/ Regent does this or whether it is simply referred to their "in house" sales team.

The telling factor would be, did the OP request a Brochure on the O website or any website for that matter and did the OP answer " NO I do not have a Travel Agent". If the answer is YES then we may have solved some of the mystery.

JMHO off course! :)

I think I might have the answer to this....

Did you go onto the Oceania website and request a Brochure? When you fill the form out: Name & Address, cruise interests, where do you want to cruise,

Are you a Travel Agent, ARE YOU WORKING WITH A TRAVEL AGENT - Yes or NO.....

I'll bet you answered the last question with a NO - I am not working with a TA.

At which point your information goes into a que to be "referred" as a potential clients in need of a Travel Agent to sell the Oceania product.

Anyhow, JMHO

PS wish this agent would call my DH and strongly suggest his wife (me) needs an Oceania cruise from Santa!

I think the same thing happened to me. My recollection is that I requested a brochure and I was not working with a TA at the time. I got a phone call from an agent who was definitely not a PCC but an outside agent.

I get emails from some agents that seem to troll the forums

I have never requested anything from them or other agencies

I do have my email in my profile so that is my only explanation as to how they got my email & know I book Oceania

Lyn

I think the same thing happened to me. My recollection is that I requested a brochure and I was not working with a TA at the time. I got a phone call from an agent who was definitely not a PCC but an outside agent.

Yes, I believe that in cases like that, Agents may register with Oceania to be put on a a referral list.

To qualify, the Agent must pass a training class in all things Oceania.

There was also an on-line contest a few months back to win an Oceania cruise - probably to expand their data base of potential customers.

When the TA was booking our cruise she noted I had a past guest number. I've never cruised with Oceania before. My guess, is somehow entering that contest resulted in me receiving a number.

But then, I may have blacked out sometime in the past and took a Oceania cruise without my husband (who didn't have a number in the system.):D

Yes, I believe that in cases like that, Agents may register with Oceania to be put on a a referral list.

Guessing that training class is different from the ones the O customer non-service people take or perhaps the O people don't have to pass the test??

I will say that the agent who contacted me was very knowledgeable re Oceania !

Some additional information...hours after we got the phone message (and I posted), when my husband went on the computer, he noted that there was also an email from this agent. Her identifying information lists her as belonging to Prestige Holdings (which I believe is the holding company for Oceania). And, no, we have never requested a brochure. So, I am presuming that it is an "in house" gesture with information gleaned from our booking.

Some additional information...hours after we got the phone message (and I posted), when my husband went on the computer, he noted that there was also an email from this agent. Her identifying information lists her as belonging to Prestige Holdings (which I believe is the holding company for Oceania). And, no, we have never requested a brochure. So, I am presuming that it is an "in house" gesture with information gleaned from our booking.

I would just call and see what she has to say

If not interested just say NO THANKS

Wonder if it is a move over offer or upsell:confused:

I visit the websites of many cruise lines regularly to update my pdf brochure files.

I noticed shortly after a recent oceaniacruises.com visit that I was contacted by an Oceania PCC. If I filled out a form, I definitely said Yes I am working with a travel agent. But I still get regular emails from this this person.

Since Oceania doesn't discount their cabin prices (beyond the fake two-for-one pricing), they seem to feel a need to use a carpet-bomb approach with mini-brochures in the mail, emails and personal contacts.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be snarky... it was just an observation.

So...why not call them back and ask, instead of posting? ;)

...and... Welcome to Oceania, too.

,,,because Cybercsp has the right to and others hopefully do not question why anyone posts on Oceania other than someone using profanity or says something that sounds fraudulent.

Sorry Cybercsp, computerworks's response on this is not the average response on Oceania, but the exception.

Welcome to Oceania-you will love it.