11th floor AQ cabins on M class ships?

DesertPesce7751

We're sailing on Millie this summer and have been in AQ on 2 other ships but not in an 11th floor cabin. We booked 1139, the port/aft corner (port facing). Anyone have experience with the AQ rooms on 11 or any guidance on whether we chose the right room? All the aft-facing cabins were taken but this seemed nice as well.

We were in 1136 (same cabin only starboard side) on our Asia trip and it was great. Very quiet and the best room stewards we have ever had on any cruise. I don't know if they work on the other side. I do know they also did the aft cabins on that deck as we moved to 1130 for the following segment and still had them.

We had the corner on the starboard side. One of the things that I didn't like was that there was no overhead protection from the elements. I like the sun but would rather be in the shade.

On the port side you will be above the smoking area that is below. That may present a problem.

A plus is if you have the drink pack there is a set of stairs thru the door that gives a quick amd easy access to the bar below.

.🎅🎄

We were in 1139 on the Infinity a couple of weeks ago, and in 1136 on the Infinity last year for Alaska, and can say with certainty they are great cabins. In fact, I like them better then the deck 11 aft cabins (initially booked 1138 for Alaska, but switched to 1136 after more consideration and seeing photos). Having the corner aft room gives you amazing views forward along the side of the ship, and since there is nothing aft of you on Deck 11, you can easily lean your head out from you balcony and enjoy the views off the back of the ship as well. I also spent a fair bit of time at the top of the Deck 11 aft stairs looking off the back of the ship, since they are literally right outside your door.

As others have mentioned, about the only downside to these cabins is the lack of an overhang. That being said, we loved having nothing above us. Being photographers, we loved having completely unobstructed views right from the waterline to the sky.

Here are some shots taken off the balcony from our previous cruises in those cabins:

http://imgur"dot"com/a/9XXSq

EDIT: Having trouble linking, replace the "dot"

Edited by RL1180

Those pics make me very excited about our cabin selection! I agree with you about the aft dividers but am very pleased with what I see nonetheless.

The booking agent on the phone assured me that we were above the buffet, not the smoking area, so we wouldn't smell smoke. Did you find that you did indeed smell smoke up there? I'm sure, if it's on the back deck, it may only be an issue while in port. That said, it's always good to make sure.

We were in deck 11 AQ cabin on Connie last week and LOVED it. We were in 1116 and actually were very happy NOT to have the overhang, it made the balcony much more open and we were able to enjoy the wonderful full moon even more. There is actually about 2 feet of the balcony that is covered from above, the rest is open.The balconies on 11 are much deeper than on other decks on the ship too. We also loved the privacy on this deck, nobody running up and down the hallways... OH, and I have NEVER on any ship had an air conditioning system work as well as in these rooms, including having 3 fan speeds to choose from! These are great rooms and I will definitely book again when on M class ships. Enjoy!!!

Edited by Gracie115

Those pics make me very excited about our cabin selection! I agree with you about the aft dividers but am very pleased with what I see nonetheless.

The booking agent on the phone assured me that we were above the buffet, not the smoking area, so we wouldn't smell smoke. Did you find that you did indeed smell smoke up there? I'm sure, if it's on the back deck, it may only be an issue while in port. That said, it's always good to make sure.

I would think you WOULD smell smoke on the balcony of 1139 as it is very close to the smoking area below at the Sunset Bar. We booked on other side of ship precisely to not have to deal with that issue. Hope I'm wrong, but if smoke is an issue for you I don't think I'd book that far back on that side....

We never had an issue with smoke, not once did we smell it. Well, from the smokers, that is. We did have a half hour period one night at sea, where there was a really strong wind in the perfect direction, that we had some ash and could smell the exhaust from the ship's engines.

In the picture below (sorry for the small size and poor quality), you can see where the balcony is in relation to the Sunset Bar and Oceanview Cafe(buffet). The balcony starts about 5 feet or so further outboard from the side of the sunset bar, and the end of the balcony is about 10 feet or more further outboard. Below the end of the balcony, is the windows of the Oceanview Cafe. There would have to be some pretty weird wind gymnastics for the smoke to travel outboard 10 feet or more, travel forward below your balcony, upwards, then inboard again to be smelt by you. Not saying it's totally impossible, but with the way it's designed and the angles of the aft wall of the buffet, it's very improbable.

DSCN0269.jpg.ae9267c8d2419b394c93e901c4f285cb.jpg

We never had an issue with smoke, not once did we smell it. Well, from the smokers, that is. We did have a half hour period one night at sea, where there was a really strong wind in the perfect direction, that we had some ash and could smell the exhaust from the ship's engines.

In the picture below (sorry for the small size and poor quality), you can see where the balcony is in relation to the Sunset Bar and Oceanview Cafe(buffet). The balcony starts about 5 feet or so further outboard from the side of the sunset bar, and the end of the balcony is about 10 feet or more further outboard. Below the end of the balcony, is the windows of the Oceanview Cafe. There would have to be some pretty weird wind gymnastics for the smoke to travel outboard 10 feet or more, travel forward below your balcony, upwards, then inboard again to be smelt by you. Not saying it's totally impossible, but with the way it's designed and the angles of the aft wall of the buffet, it's very improbable.

Never saw the 11th floor rooms from that angle....probably not a worry about smoke based on this...which opens up BOTH sides to us as I was leery of this side...thanks for posting this pic..:)

Awesome! I'm so excited for our trip. We're taking the transpacific and thought the port side might be best for seeing land as we pass as we go from Tokyo to the first port in Hokkaido. Glad the smoke hasn't been an issue in the past. :D:D:D

We were in deck 11 AQ cabin on Connie last week and LOVED it. We were in 1116 and actually were very happy NOT to have the overhang, it made the balcony much more open and we were able to enjoy the wonderful full moon even more. There is actually about 2 feet of the balcony that is covered from above, the rest is open.The balconies on 11 are much deeper than on other decks on the ship too. We also loved the privacy on this deck, nobody running up and down the hallways... OH, and I have NEVER on any ship had an air conditioning system work as well as in these rooms, including having 3 fan speeds to choose from! These are great rooms and I will definitely book again when on M class ships. Enjoy!!!

Was in 1108 on the same cruise and loved the location. Air Conditioning worked well once it was repaired. Several adjoining cabins reported the same problem.

Wondering if any of you folks that were on the new deck could compare ship movement there to other decks you may have sailed in a M class.

If so what kind of water did you travel on. Found deck 12 on the Century affected us for some reason although their suites up there just a grand location which I would think deck 11 on the M class would be similar.

Is there a difference between the two classes other than size. Been as high as 9 on the Infinity but that was almost midship.

Wondering if any of you folks that were on the new deck could compare ship movement there to other decks you may have sailed in a M class.

If so what kind of water did you travel on. Found deck 12 on the Century affected us for some reason although their suites up there just a grand location which I would think deck 11 on the M class would be similar.

Is there a difference between the two classes other than size. Been as high as 9 on the Infinity but that was almost midship.

We did not notice much movement at all but then, we had mostly smooth seas on that cruise (Hong Kong to Vancouver,). Thankfully we are not troubled by rough seas.

We didn't notice motion at all and have normally stayed on deck 6 on "M" class up till now. Will definitely book the Deck 11 AQ in the future....we were very happy with 1116!!

Was in 1108 on the same cruise and loved the location. Air Conditioning worked well once it was repaired. Several adjoining cabins reported the same problem.

We've never been on a cruise where the cabin got as cold as on this one. I remember telling my DH that the AC would be very welcome on hot summer cruises, did not know there were was a problem that close to us...glad they fixed it for you!:)

We were on deck 11 on the Infinity in March '13. We have also sailed on the Millie.

I cannot imagine how cigarette smoke would be a problem for 1139. We were in 1141 and did not have any issues and the ships have been solsticized in the same manner.

If you look closely at the picture you will see the exterior stairway. That takes up a major portion of the smoking area. There is only space for a couple of small tables along the port rail behind the stairs. The other tables are far more exposed to the open air.

As to the stability of deck 11 cabins...it totally depends on the seas. We have sailed aft before but when the ship was going full tilt across the Gulf of Mexico my DH felt the motion more than normally BUT he had the dreaded NORO and there wasn't anything that would have made that transit great for him. We're going down a few decks on our next cruise into the North Sea just to make him happy.