Reflection Alcoves

suni

We are sailing in a few weeks on the Reflection. So much controversy regarding the Alcoves! I have booked one for the San Juan day since it is discounted being a port day. if you have actually seen the Alcoves or used one, can you please give me your opinion? I am excited to try it and may even consider several days if it is enjoyable. Thoughts? :confused:

We 're doing one for a San Juan day as well for that very reason. My infant son will be with us and both he and my husband are very fair skinned- will it be too windy on the sail in to keep the top up? Because neither can be in the sun.

I think that is an unknown. Sounds like it the top can't be up if it is a windy day. When are you sailing?

You most likely won't be arriving in San Juan until around 3 pm. That may be a factor to consider. The Alcoves are pretty nice and I noted that about less than half were rented on sea days and fewer on port days. There were sun bathers on towels on the grassy area between the rows of Alcoves as that is a common area.

We have these booked on our Silhouette cruise coming up. We booked for 2 of the sea days so that we would not have to fight for deck space. The late arrival in San Juan and discounted port day price sounds like a perfect combination. Let us know how you like them. On a side note I am looking for advice for an appropriate tip for our alcove attendant for the day.

We were on the Reflection sailing Nov 30th. Rarely saw them used and mostly they had to keep the tops down since it was windy. The bulk of the lawn was also 'resting' so there wasn't much going on up there and access was mostly blocked. I was considering the same thing, renting on the San Juan day but we just never got to it.

We've sailed on the Eclipse and loved the open feel of the lawn, and we'll be on the Silhouette next fall, which will be our first look at the alcoves. I'm not sure I'll think the alcoves are a positive contribution to this space, but putting that aside, I don't quite understand the attraction of being on a cruise ship and wanting to pay extra money to spend the day facing away from the water. :confused:

We had ours on a sea day and the top was up the whole time. We loved it! For 12 hrs (9 to 9) we had our own spot to go to. All the alcoves were booked on our day and at any given time one or two were occupied as people come and go all day. That's what is nice about them, you can go for a swim. have something to eat (elsewhere or in your Alcove), have a nap, and not worry about finding lounges together at the pool. It's fun watching the lawn games and especially nice if you hit the evening that they hold the jazz concert on the lawn.

if you have actually seen the Alcoves or used one, can you please give me your opinion? I am excited to try it and may even consider several days if it is enjoyable. Thoughts? :confused:

Our group of 8 booked 2 of them every day on the Reflection last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. Nice to be able to relax outside without fighting the crowds on the pool deck. We'll be back on Reflection in Feb and have booked one for San Juan and the 3 sea days.

I don't quite understand the attraction of being on a cruise ship and wanting to pay extra money to spend the day facing away from the water. :confused:

1. It's no different than being on the pool deck, where all the chairs face inward toward the pool. (Except it IS different, since you don't have to fight for space.)

2. We shared with friends, so sort of moved the chairs around so that we faced each other for conversation...hard to have a conversation with 4 people who are lined up in deck chairs all facing the ocean, or any single direction for that matter

3. Sometimes we just enjoyed them as a spot to nap, or relax -with eyes closed- while listening to music.

4. At times, there was some good people watching while facing the lawn

5. We could generally see the ocean out across the far side of the lawn

6. Watching the ocean isn't necessarily our top priority on a cruise ship.

:)

Edited by waterbug123

On the November 30 sailing of the Reflection, we reserved an alcove for each of the three sea days. Generally, we were there each day from approximately 10:00 until sunset (with one or both of us stepping away now and then). Although the other alcoves were certainly not all consistently in use, they were used each day (with the most use being the third sea day).

We were offered to have the canopy raised the first day, but we declined because for most of the day we would be in the shade of the smokestack and the large canopy that stretches across the lawn. On the second day, we had the canopy raised early in the afternoon after enjoying the sun for a few hours. And, on the third day it was already raised when we arrived, which was nice in that it blocked the passing showers that day.

We ordered lunch from The Porch on two of the days. We also ordered several drinks each day; wine was served quickly, as it came from the Lawn Club Grill, whereas other drinks took longer, because the attendant had to go to a bar. The fruit and cheese platters were quite large and could certainly have served as a lunch (we never finished the platters).

The service was not consistent across the three days. On the first day, the primary attendant (and others) were quite friendly, accommodating, and present. Without having to ask, they brought over the bottles of water and the platters of fruit and cheese, and they checked on us now and then. By comparison, on the last day the bottles of water and the platters had not arrived (and did not arrive) as the previous two days and finally after noon I asked for them (this is a small point, but I share this because if you do not receive something that is part of the alcove, be sure to ask). And, the attendants were not very present (for example, it turned out to be easier to get lunch and some drinks ourselves).

We enjoyed having the dedicated and quiet space on deck (plus, it served as a good space to meet up with a few others we met during the cruise). It was very relaxing and relatively comfortable. To make it more comfortable, it would be nice to have a lounge chair (or two) in place of the upright chairs.

Overall, we were glad to have reserved an alcove and would likely do so again.

One last point, according to Celebrity's website (which was confirmed via the phone at the time of booking), there is a multi-day discount for reserving an alcove. After the first sea day, we inquired about the discount. We were told it would be 20% of the total and processed later in the cruise as a credit to our on-board account. The discount had not been applied by the final evening, so we inquired again and it processed that night.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Anthony&David

This is such helpful information. I think that this sounds like a wonderful experience. I am glad we are trying it on Monday so that we can repeat of it is a hit . Thanks so much for all the info. Can't wait to be sailing!

1) How far from the pool are you if you want to take a swim

2) Do you have to keep the chairs they have? Looks like only one lounge type chair? There might be fight in our party of 4 for that chair! ha ha

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

We ordered lunch from The Porch on two of the days. We also ordered several drinks each day; wine was served quickly, as it came from the Lawn Club Grill, whereas other drinks took longer, because the attendant had to go to a bar.

The service was not consistent across the three days.....And, the attendants were not very present (for example, it turned out to be easier to get lunch and some drinks ourselves).

One last point, according to Celebrity's website (which was confirmed via the phone at the time of booking), there is a multi-day discount for reserving an alcove. After the first sea day, we inquired about the discount. We were told it would be 20% of the total and processed later in the cruise as a credit to our on-board account. The discount had not been applied by the final evening, so we inquired again and it processed that night.

Did you actually order from the attendant, or go to the Porch and bring it back? The reason I ask is because I don't recall that being listed as an option. They offered some sort of picnic baskets but they seemed far overpriced. And when we tried to get food "to go" from the Porch they made a huge stink about how the food has to be eaten there. Just wondering if things have changed to where you can "officially" order lunch from the porch in the Alcoves.

As for the alcove service, we also found it to be inconsistent. If I recall correctly, our attendant actually worked in the Lawn Club Grill and may have been busy with the lunch service there. We already had a favorite server or bartender from the Sunset Bar, and since it's so close, he ended up waiting on us instead, most of the time.

Thank you for the reminder about the multi day discount. I need to call them and ask about it since it wasn't processed with our reservation for our upcoming cruise.

2) Do you have to keep the chairs they have? Looks like only one lounge type chair? There might be fight in our party of 4 for that chair! ha ha

As far as I know, yes. I don't know what you'd do with them otherwise. I did not see anyone moving pool loungers to the alcove area, and I imagine if you started doing that, they would stop you.

The pool is one deck down and further forward. Not terribly far, but certainly out of eyesight, i.e. I would take my things with me if I wanted to leave the alcove for a while to go for a swim or get in the hot tub.

We reserved an Alcove on our East Carib cruise this spring on the Silhouette for the San Juan port day (arrival 3 p.m.). We really like the Alcove and would have liked it even more if the awning had been raised. Having a place to come and go throughout the day was great, attendants were great ($20 tip for the day).

Even though we liked it alot, we probably won't reserve again because DH just can't be in the sun all day. :(

Did you actually order from the attendant, or go to the Porch and bring it back? The reason I ask is because I don't recall that being listed as an option. They offered some sort of picnic baskets but they seemed far overpriced. And when we tried to get food "to go" from the Porch they made a huge stink about how the food has to be eaten there. Just wondering if things have changed to where you can "officially" order lunch from the porch in the Alcoves.

On the first day, we asked the afternoon attendant (who had been our wonderful waiter the previous night at the Lawn Club Grill) if it was possible to place an order. He said yes, brought us the menu, came back in a bit to take our order, and then served it a little while later. For the lunch service, we tipped him $5.00 per person (this was in addition to the $5.00 per person restaurant charge). I cannot say whether this is official practice and we were not sure if it was possible before asking, but he readily did so and he was quite helpful and responsive.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On the first day, we asked the afternoon attendant (who had been our wonderful waiter the previous night at the Lawn Club Grill) if it was possible to place an order. He said yes, brought us the menu, came back in a bit to take our order, and then served it a little while later. For the lunch service, we tipped him $5.00 per person (this was in addition to the $5.00 per person restaurant charge). I cannot say whether this is official practice and we were not sure if it was possible before asking, but he readily did so and he was quite helpful and responsive.

Thank you, we'll try that. Probably wasn't "official" to have the guy from the Sunset Bar serve us (rather than our designated attendant) either, but after the LCG manager said it was fine with him, he was happy to do so.

We are sailing in a few weeks on the Reflection. So much controversy regarding the Alcoves! I have booked one for the San Juan day since it is discounted being a port day. if you have actually seen the Alcoves or used one, can you please give me your opinion? I am excited to try it and may even consider several days if it is enjoyable. Thoughts? :confused:

We are fans of the Alcoves. We are sailing on the Silhouette and booked the Alcoves for all of the port days. Did the same last year on the Reflection. We have enjoyed the ports previously, so no need to tour again. We might get off the ship for a couple of hours when the ship docks, but then return to the ship to enjoy the quiet port days on the ship.

We love the comfortable lounges and other seating and the shade offered in the Alcoves. We have an Alcove butler who brings us cheese and a beautiful fruit platter in the afternoon and that is included. We also sometimes order lunch from the porch and the butler brings it to us. The Alcoves are close to the sunset bar so you also have access to bring your drinks back to your comfortable alcove. You can also bring in our own lunch for another venue if you prefer. My DH and I both feel very uncomfortable sitting on the pool chair for hours as they hurt our backs.

The fee for port days is $99. Cheaper then many short shore excursions. If you book for the week, you get a 20% discount off of the total per diem price. You do not pay of course for embarkation or disembarkation day. The only negative issue is that if you book on sea days and it is windy, the awning will not be up-so you are in the sun. That is why we only book on port days. Sometimes activities are held on the lawn and you have a comfortable seat to enjoy viewing them.

Enjoy your Alcove and your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of 10. If I reserve 2 alcoves are there any restrictions with the amount of people who "hang out" in the alcoves?

Are there only 4 lounge chairs? I would imagine some of us can lay on blackets if there's not enough chairs.

Whats the best way to book them?

Thanks!

I cannot answer about the furniture as we do not leave on our cruise until the 19th, but as to how to book them, you need to call Celebrity directly. It is handled by the specialty dining desk. As to how many in each alcove, you might find that people will be coming and going all day to pools or other activities so you might not have overflow issues. When you book I would see if you can request that you have 2 next to each other. They appear to sit fairly close to each other.

Thanks for the reply.

We are sailing on 1/4/15 I called Celebrity and they told me I coun't book them until 3 months from the cruise. That seems to be different from what I'm reading here. Some people seem to have boked them much ealier than that.

Is there a specific number to call?