Wine

c4blunjit

That may have been what you were taught, but there is a standard pour - which is 5 glasses per bottle.

"A standard drink is: a 5-ounce glass of dinner wine"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_glasses_of_wine_in_every_bottle_of_wine

Since a regular wine bottle contains 25.4 ounces, there are 5 glasses @ 5 oz each.

This is the size that all the anti-drinking [sorry, government information] sources use to calculate alcohol content [e.g. 12-oz can of beer, 5-oz glass of wine, 1.5 oz shot of 80 proof liquor all have the same alcohol content].

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. The government information office isn't pouring the wine at the table. For example: You are the host at a table for 6 and you select the wine. The bottle is presented to you and you taste and approve the wine. The server then serves the three ladies at the table and proceeds to pour for the men. After pouring the wine to the second gentleman you notice that the server has finished off the bottle leaving none for you. The server comes over to you and says: "Sorry. I poured what the government (and wiki) says is the "normal" amount and there is no wine left for you. I guess you'll have to buy a second bottle". That server would be fired in every establishment I have ever been associated with. Wouldn't it have been easier to pour the wine six ways, irrespective of what you read on wikipedia?

The "rules" are flexible to help adjust to many circumstances.

http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/wine_etiquette/wine_serving_etiquette/servings_per_wine_bottle.html

Edited by JimmyVWine

1 bottle of wine would hold DH and me for 1 night in the MDR. How us this relevant to the discussion?

No way would we give any cruise line $15 to uncork our bottle of wine that they have allowed us to bring on board. The contract you agree to allows you to drink your free bottle in your cabin. If you bring it to a public venue you agree to pay the fee. You seem to be advertising that you have no intention of abiding by the contract. That's your choice, but let's not pretend that the rule does not exist or that people who point out how the rule is supposed to be applied are somehow wrong.

It is not tacky to bring your own glass of wine to the MDR, how would they know where you got the wine from? I'm not sure where "tacky" fits in here. If you bring personal wine into the MDR that YOU HAVE NOT PAID FOR you are breaking the rules, plain and simple. I don't pretend to know where cheating and "tacky" merge.

We wouldn't carry a glass to the MDR - too afraid of spilling it and that would be alcohol abuse. Get a buzz before dinner - not during.

:rolleyes:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. The government information office isn't pouring the wine at the table. For example: You are the host at a table for 6 and you select the wine. The bottle is presented to you and you taste and approve the wine. The server then serves the three ladies at the table and proceeds to pour for the men. After pouring the wine to the second gentleman you notice that the server has finished off the bottle leaving none for you. The server comes over to you and says: "Sorry. I poured what the government (and wiki) says is the "normal" amount and there is no wine left for you. I guess you'll have to buy a second bottle". That server would be fired in every establishment I have ever been associated with. Wouldn't it have been easier to pour the wine six ways, irrespective of what you read on wikipedia?

The "rules" are flexible to help adjust to many circumstances.

http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/wine_etiquette/wine_serving_etiquette/servings_per_wine_bottle.html

Those darn burgundy glasses tend to consume the bottle way to quickly.

When I have a glass of wine I enjoy 5 - 6 oz pour satisfy pallet. Anything less is a taste.

Love your avatar, a friend of mine took this picture of the Golden Princess in 2007 as I had a group doing a coastal up to Vancouver

It is your pic. I cruised with you and your lovely wife on the Mercury. Becca23 might ring a bell. :cool::cool:

I mean, who needs Ph.D.s [no, really, who?

You got that truer than you think. Nobody needs a Ph.D. except to get into the Ponzi scheme called Higher Ed -- to train more Ph.D.s, who can train more Ph.D.s (none of whom can pay off their education loans :eek:]

[And before you reply, know that I recently retired from a 40+ year career in the Higher Ed biz ;)]

I'd be concerned in case someone bumped into me on the way into the MDR and the wine spill ruined my outfit (especially if you enjoy a red).

That can happen even with a glass of wine purchased at Vines and carried to the dining room.

I take a glass of red wine to the MDR every night from my cabin and have yet to have a spill, I do avoid elevators though. :):)

That can happen even with a glass of wine purchased at Vines and carried to the dining room.

Maybe we will cruise in the future and share a glass of wine

Glad you like the picture, BTW how did you get?

Sorry ... I thanked the wrong Jim. I just love sailing out of San Francisco. I think I just captured avatar. It has been in use for many years.

I'd be concerned in case someone bumped into me on the way into the MDR and the wine spill ruined my outfit (especially if you enjoy a red).

Learned this a couple cruises ago and will share it with you. If you get a red wine spot on your outfit, immediately dab a little white wine on it. The red stain disappears. This little trick can come in handy.

Read the thread through, I was answering people's threads here and there.:rolleyes:

The eyeroll pertained to your closing statement. (The smiley has to be placed outside of the quote box.) Your last sentence was really offensive. Spilling wine is not "alcohol abuse".

Sorry ... I thanked the wrong Jim. I just love sailing out of San Francisco. I think I just captured avatar. It has been in use for many years.

NP on the wrong ID , if you look really close I'm sit in the aft Hot Tub as I cruised under the Golden Gate in May of 2007

I also love cruising out of San Francisco and even better on a great clear day.