Finding a Deal

I am a soon to be Gold member on Carnival, but after that cruise I am planning on trying out Royal Caribbean. I know that cruises on RC are typically a bit more expensive and that is fine, but I still want to make sure I am getting the best deal possible. What are some tricks of the trade to make sure you are getting the most bang for your buck on Royal Caribbean?

*Edit to add: I have been on one RCCL cruise before and I am a Crown and Anchor member, if that helps when deal hunting.*

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Edited by KristiandEvan

I am a soon to be Gold member on Carnival, but after that cruise I am planning on trying out Royal Caribbean. I know that cruises on RC are typically a bit more expensive and that is fine, but I still want to make sure I am getting the best deal possible. What are some tricks of the trade to make sure you are getting the most bang for your buck on Royal Caribbean?

*Edit to add: I have been on one RCCL cruise before and I am a Crown and Anchor member, if that helps when deal hunting.*

If you are a C&A member, log on to Royal's site and take a look at the C&A section. There are C&A Savings Certificates which are discounts for selected sailings. These change quarterly, so a new set will be coming out in a few days.

If you are a C&A member, log on to Royal's site and take a look at the C&A section. There are C&A Savings Certificates which are discounts for selected sailings. These change quarterly, so a new set will be coming out in a few days.

Yes, There are savings certificates for C&A members, and something else is to frequently check the cruise you are going on for price changes and availability.

For our Oasis Mar 1 2014 cruise, we started in a "Smaller Interior Stateroom" on front of deck 8 for $850, then when checking updates found room #12275 (also a smaller interior stateroom, but this time on back of deck 12, a much better location for us) and switched to that one for no extra charge because it is in the same category. Then when checking again we found Central Parks Windows on sale for same price, so switched to that, then when calling to change, the RCI representative said was open for $810. Still in a great location, near back of deck 9, and that is where we are now, but still checking.

So book directly with RCI and check back as frequently as you can. I bookedmarked the cruise info page:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do?state=&packageCode=OA07W110&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=201403&cruiseType=CO&sailDate=1140301 and checked multiple times a day.

Checking anymore than once a day is probably unnecessary, but you never know when a deal will come up.

Do you have a timeframe or ship/port of preference?

My only advice is for your trying Royal again is to try and book a Freedom or Voyager class ship. The Radiance class is nice too, The Oasis class may be over the top if you are use to Carnival ships. The Majesty out of Miami is just a different experience due to being short and well......it sails out of Miami. The vision class ships are smaller and IMHO do not offer what the other ships do.

Your question is much too generalized.

You need to be more specific on what you want to do.

Port, # of days, ship, dates, cabin, ect.

Everything affects the price, there is no "deal"...

Edited by matj2000

I previously sailed with Carnival until I discovered Royal Caribbean. As others have said if you are not tied into a specific date look at the C&A savings certificates. Also I look at booking directly versus booking with the large Internet company that advertises here. I weigh both offers and choose the best deal. On my Freedom cruise in Feb. I got a better deal with the TA. Prepaid gratuities, dinner at a specialty restaurant, OBC, and 1/2 off travel insurance. For my next trip I got a better deal with Royal. The TA cannot discount fares but they can give added perks that add up. I think you may find that RC may be less expensive than Carnival. I have nothing against them and would sail again but I am enjoying the Royal experience now.

If you sailed already on RCCL, you might already be a Gold member on C&A.

I have 14 points due to 2 7 day cruises and am also Gold. It takes 3 to be Gold:

If you are Gold on RCCL (3 points up to 29) , here are the benefits for being Gold:

Onboard Benefits

3 Points:

Exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus1

Ultimate Value Booklet with great onboard offers

Exclusive invitation to Welcome Back Party2

SeaPass Card recognition

Meet the Stars!

Priority check-in3

Private departure lounge with continental breakfast

Exclusive Trivia

Cruise Planning Benefits

3 Points:

Quarterly Saving Certificates online11

Priority notice on special offers, new ships and itineraries13

Set your upgrade preferences online

Additional Benefits

3 Points:

Reduced Rate Upgrades (when available)19

ADDITIONAL Cruise Points for purchasing suite accommodations and/or single pricing type14

Exclusive Email Offers including access to our weekly Crown & Anchor® Preview Sale

Member Cruises

Crown & Anchor Society Desk for membership inquiries (800) 526-97239

Member Newsletter: Crown & Anchor Society Exclusive

Member-only secured section on our website

Youth Program Benefits

3 Points:

Activity and Ultimate Value Booklet with special onboard savings

Commemorative gift

Same member status as the parent after your child's first completed cruise

Also keep checking your cruise for resident rates or senior rates. I book at least a year out, and have always found resident or senor rates to lower my original price. You can get price adjustments up until the final payment date. I also get email alerts for my cruises from a cruise price drop tracker website, that I'm not allowed to mention here. Just do a search.

Quick question...we are booking our cruise tomorrow. NOTS, June 1 sailing/Galveston. We are locked into that date based on a sitter for the kiddos. I will be using either a TA or booking directly depending on the price/deal. As we are sort of tied into the dates, is there any way we can get a better deal? We are going to book a junior suite. I am a platinum member. So far the numbers from the TA sort of line up with the numbers from RCI.

Yes, There are savings certificates for C&A members, and something else is to frequently check the cruise you are going on for price changes and availability.

For our Oasis Mar 1 2014 cruise, we started in a "Smaller Interior Stateroom" on front of deck 8 for $850, then when checking updates found room #12275 (also a smaller interior stateroom, but this time on back of deck 12, a much better location for us) and switched to that one for no extra charge because it is in the same category. Then when checking again we found Central Parks Windows on sale for same price, so switched to that, then when calling to change, the RCI representative said was open for $810. Still in a great location, near back of deck 9, and that is where we are now, but still checking.

So book directly with RCI and check back as frequently as you can. I bookedmarked the cruise info page:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do?state=&packageCode=OA07W110&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=201403&cruiseType=CO&sailDate=1140301 and checked multiple times a day.

Checking anymore than once a day is probably unnecessary, but you never know when a deal will come up.

Much easier to check cruise fish dot net daily for price changes. I saved a ton on the two cruises I have booked already. When you see the price drop, call RCI & ask them to honor the rate...they will...unless it's a special sale that is for new bookings only.

So when you call them do you mention where you saw the rate change? Or, do you mention that you saw it on the RCI site? It's obviously pulling the info from the RCI site, right?

Does this only work if you book directly through RCI or can a TA do it?

So when you call them do you mention where you saw the rate change? Or, do you mention that you saw it on the RCI site? It's obviously pulling the info from the RCI site, right?

Does this only work if you book directly through RCI or can a TA do it?

You would have to see the price on Royal's site for them to honor it. It does not matter if you book direct or with a TA.

Edited by clarea

One of the best deals around are Trans Atlantic Cruises because you can be on a ship for 14 nights or more and visit unique ports. The Royal Caribbean Cruise Air has some fantastic airfare deals especially for the one way flights to meet the ship and to come back home.

For instance if you wanted to take the Trans Atlantic from Brazil-Barcelona the entire airfare from San Francisco-Sao Paulo and Barcelona-Rome is $1300. Now most roundtrip airfares to Europe go for that much or more. The cruise runs about $900-$1200 dollars for an Outside Oceanview Cabin. You get 2 weeks onboard the ship.

If you have time in April or November this is the best way to go. In fact I'm sure employers wouldn't mind if you took your vacation during the Off Season. I mean not many people would schedule their vacation time during a Trans Atlantic Cruise. You could even extend your vacation in Europe and at the port before you board the ship.

Quick question...we are booking our cruise tomorrow. NOTS, June 1 sailing/Galveston. We are locked into that date based on a sitter for the kiddos. I will be using either a TA or booking directly depending on the price/deal. As we are sort of tied into the dates, is there any way we can get a better deal? We are going to book a junior suite. I am a platinum member. So far the numbers from the TA sort of line up with the numbers from RCI.

I would take the kiddos along. Royal Caribbean has an amazing Children's Club. Rather than paying for a sitter why not just tag them along? I know you want Parents time but you could do that onboard and even hire a sitter one evening while you go to a specialty restaurant.

If you have to take the kids out from school so be it they would learn a lot more visiting ports and learning about new cultures. I wish my Parents took me on a cruise when I was 8 but I had to wait until I was 27 to go on my first cruise. What I'm saying is just think of the memories you will be creating with your kids.

Also factor in the cost of having a baby sitter, food for the kids etc. The third and fourth passengers can go for $300 per person and there may even be a discount for kids.

Just my 2 cents.

I would take the kiddos along. Royal Caribbean has an amazing Children's Club. Rather than paying for a sitter why not just tag them along? I know you want Parents time but you could do that onboard and even hire a sitter one evening while you go to a specialty restaurant.

If you have to take the kids out from school so be it they would learn a lot more visiting ports and learning about new cultures. I wish my Parents took me on a cruise when I was 8 but I had to wait until I was 27 to go on my first cruise. What I'm saying is just think of the memories you will be creating with your kids.

Also factor in the cost of having a baby sitter, food for the kids etc. The third and fourth passengers can go for $300 per person and there may even be a discount for kids.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, we will take the kids along someday. I have already been planning for the future! My daughters are 5, 3 and 1 and the "sitters" are Grandma and Grandpa driving down to TX from Michigan. It will be a much needed mental health break for my husband and myself. And, the girls get to spend a whole week with Grandma and Grandpa which is rare. It's a plus for all age groups.

I went on my first cruise with my four sisters and my mom. It was a vacation I will never forget! I liked your suggestion. :0)

Look on cruise critic for a "TA" that will give you really good perks. We use them all the time and have gotten, free tips, free spa, free dinners, etc. and they will usually match what rccl offers