Hal no longer sends invitations for cruise critic meetings..........

50cruiser

Now I understand why there are so few m & g for HAL cruises. So different dromrccl and celebrity where they provide ship logo gifts, champagne and gift certificates as raffle prizes at the m & g. I had been looking for a roll call for my Feb 23 nadm cruise but now will stop looking. Very sad HAL can't get behind this as it is a small way to provide goodwill to their most loyal cruisers!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I attended a HAL M&G on the Oosterdam a few years ago and there were several raffle prizes (ship logo gifts, champagne, and gift certificates as I recall). But I don't know if HAL provided them or the M&G organizer, which I kind of doubt since there was alot. Best M&G ever.

Is it my full name? (Because if it is, I've done something wrong and need to fix it).

You didn't specify first or full in your statement. However, based on your user name and your real first name I'm going to guess it wouldn't be hard to find your last name if someone wanted to. One Google search and I got your last name (and picture) by the way... from Pinterest. I won't post it here to confirm of course. But be careful what you put out there if you really want to protect it and google yourself from time to time.

Edited by sherilyn70

Taking the responsibility for the M&G entails a lot of work. "Hosting" makes it sound like a party. After organizing 4 on HAL ships, I can testify that no matter what the leader does, there will be someone who complains about something or who thinks he/she could have done it better. There may be a reward in Heaven, but there isn't on board. Only once has anyone said "thank you" for accepting the job.

As for invitations, I have had Beverage Managers who not only volunteered to deliver invitations but also wrote them and sent them to me to proofread and edit. On other cruises, I have printed the invitations ahead of time and used pre-printed labels on HAL-supplied envelopes; the Front Desk personnel have had them delivered. On other occasions, I have delivered them myself in the middle of the night.

The person organizing the M&G probably couldn't care less where your cabin is. It's not as if they are going to break in and rob you. Sharing full names and cabin numbers simply makes it easier to send reminders. In 2010, I set up a special e-mail account just to keep the cruise messages separate from the everyday junk; I didn't want to lose them. Now, I use my regular email address. If people don't want to share basic, innocuous information, that's their business, but there will be no reminders and no name badges for them. Or prizes if I can work those out.

I am doing my first Meet and Mingle. How do you work out prizes?

I volunteered to be host in the last 45 days before cruise as people wanted a CC meeting but no one wanted to do the work of setting it up... HAL did set up a facebook page but kept putting wrong times for meeting and they are the ones that gave me a choice.. I took 1st sea day 11 am.. The facebook page keeps saying 1:00 on embarkation .. I keep telling people on Facebook the correct time... Ive let everyone know 8 times on CC m&g the correct time and location.. It will be 3 days from boarding and I just wanted to remind everyone and in case something happened I could let them know... As today we have 48 people wanting to come to meeting... You would think with that many passengers attending a meeting HAL would help ... Iv attended singles meetings on HAL ships that only 3 to 5 people attending and HAL made a big promotion on it..... We sail in 2 days so ill do the best I can to make it suscessful... CARL

I believe that the facebook meet is separate from the CC meet, and they are separate Roll Calls as well, which is why they would be posting a different time ...

I have organized many M&G on HAL. It was very easy.....I just called Seattle and they set it up. The captain and the cruise director attended one. I don't recall anyone but CC members at the last one. No big deal.

As much as we discuss the date of the M&G here on CC, I don't think invitations are necessary. If someone can't remember the date and time, they must not want to come. People don't forget the date and time of shore excursions----this is no different.

I am doing my first Meet and Mingle. How do you work out prizes?

I second the notion to keep it simple. I have never arranged for prizes or gift swaps.

At times someone has donated Mardi Gras beads and I once donated leis. It was intersting to see how the leis migrated, I saw the Hotel Manager with one on days later.

Keep in mind these are RSVP charters, not your father's HAL cruise. :)

Edited by Boytjie

I have arranged at least two M&Gs. The first one, I sent HAL the names and cabin numbers and got together with someone (beverage manager?) to word the invitations, and they delivered them.

The second time, they were charging for invitations, $20, which I paid, and they were all delivered to the cabins by the powers that be.

I have no idea what's happening now, but at one time the the invites were for free, and at a later time, it cost $20 to get them delivered.

Perhaps "prizes" was the wrong word. On several cruises, I have purchased ballpoint pens with the name of the cruise, the ship, the dates and Cruise Critic printed on them. At other times I have been able to cadge pins and mugs from HAL staff. These were given only to CC members who showed up at both meetings. On one Grand Voyage we gave Grand Dollars to participants at the last M&G.

The KISS system works most of the time -- Keep It Simple, Stupid. Asking people to bring souvenirs from their home cities means asking them to give up valuable luggage space. Baggage fees being what they are, this is now presumptuous. Some M&G leaders like to organize CC lunches, but I think this is too forced a relationship; people will eat with other CCers if they really want to.

Even with no planned activities, the organizing can be time-consuming. That M&G which works the best is the one which seems effortless even if it is not. Let the people introduce themselves and then do their own thing.

Dave

I have organized many M&G on HAL. It was very easy.....I just called Seattle and they set it up. The captain and the cruise director attended one. I don't recall anyone but CC members at the last one. No big deal.

As much as we discuss the date of the M&G here on CC, I don't think invitations are necessary. If someone can't remember the date and time, they must not want to come. People don't forget the date and time of shore excursions----this is no different.

You do get tickets for shorex if you book them thru the cruise line.

I've been the meet and greet organizer on a couple of cruises. It is a personal matter if you want to attend or not. I will say my DH went on his 1st cruise in 11/99. He was bored as we didn't know anyone or meet anyone other than our table mates, and they were wonderful people. He said he would never go on another cruise. I finally got him to agree to another cruise in 2009. I organized the M&G for that cruise. I corresponded with many prior to the cruise and kept telling him about them. As a result, we became very good friends with another couple, Ken & Sue. My DH loved that cruise and the wonderful people we spent time with because of the M&G. He has since been on 2 more cruises and we have 2 more booked. Of course, we will be traveling with Ken & Sue. There are a few others we stay in touch with and hope to be on a ship with them again in the future.

When Ken or myself organize a M&G, he makes very nice invitations that we deliver to the cabins when we board the ship. Yes, we need to know the cabin numbers to get them the invites, which also work as reminders of the time. No one is forced to give their cabin number, which is not posted on the roll call. If it weren't for M&G's, I would have never met so many of the wonderful folks here on Cruisecritic.

Have never expected HAL to deliver invitations as we enjoy delivering them. The only ones we ask to be delivered by HAL are the ones to the ship's officers.

Diane

I have been on 12 HAL cruises in the last 5 years and the M&G has varied greatly from cruise to cruise. On one memorable cruise in 2011, it was a reception in the piano bar with champagne, mimosas and tray passed tidbits. The captain was in attendance along with the hotel manager and several other officers. Other cruises have been cookies and coffee in a corner of the crow's nest.

Taking the responsibility for the M&G entails a lot of work. "Hosting" makes it sound like a party. After organizing 4 on HAL ships, I can testify that no matter what the leader does, there will be someone who complains about something or who thinks he/she could have done it better. There may be a reward in Heaven, but there isn't on board. Only once has anyone said "thank you" for accepting the job.

As for invitations, I have had Beverage Managers who not only volunteered to deliver invitations but also wrote them and sent them to me to proofread and edit. On other cruises, I have printed the invitations ahead of time and used pre-printed labels on HAL-supplied envelopes; the Front Desk personnel have had them delivered. On other occasions, I have delivered them myself in the middle of the night.

The person organizing the M&G probably couldn't care less where your cabin is. It's not as if they are going to break in and rob you. Sharing full names and cabin numbers simply makes it easier to send reminders. In 2010, I set up a special e-mail account just to keep the cruise messages separate from the everyday junk; I didn't want to lose them. Now, I use my regular email address. If people don't want to share basic, innocuous information, that's their business, but there will be no reminders and no name badges for them. Or prizes if I can work those out.

I was not at one of your M&G how I know is Because I always say thank you to all who volunteer, I think some people just don't appreciate people who volunteer there time ( They just don't get it } You have to be a volunteer in your life to under stand.

• 8 months later...
We are leaving tomorrow from Seattle to Aukland on the Oosterdam. I have not found out anything so far on our meet and Mingle first meeting? Does anyone know where and when it will be held?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a lengthy Roll Call for your cruise.

I didn't bother to read it all to find out about your M&G but here is

a link to the Roll Call. If you wish you can read about your fellow

CC cruisers and learn about any M&G they have set up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965297

Welcome to CC. Happy you found us. :)

We are leaving tomorrow from Seattle to Aukland on the Oosterdam. I have not found out anything so far on our meet and Mingle first meeting? Does anyone know where and when it will be held?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It may be too late to join your Roll Call -- if in the link above you do find the person who will be conducting it, try to send them an e-mail.

Hope it works out for you.

I have organized M&Gs on several cruises, all with HAL. As was already mentioned, I figure folks are adults, and they are on the CC roll call. Therefore, I don't bother with invitations for the meet and greet. I repeat the information on the roll call about once a month until the last 6 weeks before a cruise. If we get a bunch of new people after final payment, as is the case with our upcoming cruise, then I post the info once a week until we sail. No excuse for not knowing when and where to meet!

On a long cruise with a halfway point where people can disembark or join the voyage, I have in the past asked for volunteers to help call and remind folks if there is a second M&G held after that stop. We have that on an upcoming cruise.

As for passenger information, I don't ask for surnames or cabin numbers on the roll call. In the case of a second M&G, I have a sign up sheet at the first meet and greet, and those who plan to attend sign up and hopefully provide a cabin number. This also gives me an idea of a count for the onboard events coordinator and beverage manager.

I have organized M&Gs on several cruises, all with HAL. As was already mentioned, I figure folks are adults, and they are on the CC roll call. Therefore, I don't bother with invitations for the meet and greet. I repeat the information on the roll call about once a month until the last 6 weeks before a cruise. If we get a bunch of new people after final payment, as is the case with our upcoming cruise, then I post the info once a week until we sail. No excuse for not knowing when and where to meet!

On a long cruise with a halfway point where people can disembark or join the voyage, I have in the past asked for volunteers to help call and remind folks if there is a second M&G held after that stop. We have that on an upcoming cruise.

As for passenger information, I don't ask for surnames or cabin numbers on the roll call. In the case of a second M&G, I have a sign up sheet at the first meet and greet, and those who plan to attend sign up and hopefully provide a cabin number. This also gives me an idea of a count for the onboard events coordinator and beverage manager.

Totally agree with you. If people want to come they will. If the organizer wants the deliver invites more power to them but it's a lot of work to even organize it. I'm appreciative for anyone that steps up to the plate to do that.

I wonder how it works with the HAL facebook page roll calls - I understand HAL organises a M&G for embarkation day, but no idea what they provide.

I went on the facebook hal M&G I waited a 1/2 hour no one came so I left. Amsterdan June 22, 2014 Alaska 14 day

Mary

That really doesn't surprise me. They have less staff and more work. HAL has never 'sponsored' CC M & G's in the way some other cruise lines have. It's nice they still provide coffee/tea and cookies. They do a nice set up from what I have seen the few times I attended.

You might recruit a few other people from your Roll Call to help distribute the invitations. Actually, do you really need to issue them seeing everyone on the Roll Call knows when the gathering is planned for and where?

I wouldn't be surprised if some ships will agree to deliver the invitations and some will not be able to provide that service. It could vary by ship/sailing.

Of the different cruise lines I have been on, HAL always treated us the best and gave us the most. Now that they have cut back, with everything in the economy, makes total sense and I do not think less of them.

I joined CC in March 2009. We have done 21 cruises with HAL, and have attended every M&G. But have never received any mail, invite etc from HAL regarding this.

Really why are you blaming HAL cutbacks? We should all be thankful that they do set up an area for us, provide refreshments and cookies.

Wow, that's pretty sad compared to a CC Meet and Greet that DH and I participated in on the Westerdam in 2009. There were well over 50 of us and we were served appetizers and free cocktails. Several of the upper crew were there and talked to us. It was a great affair one morning. The coffee, tea and 1 cookie is a terrible let down and hardly worth the effort.

Wow, that's pretty sad compared to a CC Meet and Greet that DH and I participated in on the Westerdam in 2009. There were well over 50 of us and we were served appetizers and free cocktails. Several of the upper crew were there and talked to us. It was a great affair one morning. The coffee, tea and 1 cookie is a terrible let down and hardly worth the effort.

I think the items (like free drinks) depends on who from HAL is attending. The one time we had free cocktails was when the hotel director was there.