Alaska in May is much cheaper... why?

1153rsmith

We are wanting to do a cruisetour and in looking at the prices, it looks like I can save about 1/3 of the price by cruising in May vs. July. Does anyone know what the main differences in the 2 months will be? Do you see a good bit of wildlife and whales in Mid to late May or does it need to be later in the season. Temperatures are really not an issue. We just want to see the most that we can for the best price. What we are looking at is an 11 or 12 day total trip with 7 of those being on a southbound cruise. I hope to find one with a couple days in Denali.

Will we disappointed in what we don't see if we go in May vs other times during the summer? If so, does anyone know what time of year strikes the best balance between cost and what you get for it?

You will see whales anytime during the cruise season. If you won’t be doing a whale watch excursion you’ll need to be very diligent about being on deck with a good pair of binoculars. Find the naturalist and if they are worth their weight they will be able to tell you where the feeding areas are and will be on deck to answer questions. A whale watch in Juneau or Icy Strait Point is the way to go to get up close.

May is a beautiful month for cruising as there is still quite a bit of snow in the mountains. It can be early for Denali as the Toklat shuttle bus doesn’t start until May 20 with the Eielson shuttle beginning June 1. If you won’t be there to make it back into the park there isn’t much reason to go. Denali is the place for wildlife sightings but you need to get into the park. NPS did a study several years ago and most of the sightings were from mile 30 and beyond. Caribou, bear, sheep, wolves but no guarantees.

We just want to see the most that we can for the best price.

Would you be open to planning your own trip for the land portion? You can fly into Anchorage and rent a car and build your trip based on your interests.

But as mentioned, the park road isn't fully open until early June, so you will be limited there.

Would you be open to planning your own trip for the land portion? You can fly into Anchorage and rent a car and build your trip based on your interests.

But as mentioned, the park road isn't fully open until early June, so you will be limited there.

Yes, I would be open to trying to do the land portion on my own, but the biggest thing that concerns me is transportation. There may be as many as 8 of us, and I don't know what our options would be for getting 8 people plus luggage around.:confused:

Try looking at HAL. They have north and/or southbound cruises with Denali add ons. That may solve your transportation issues for your larger group.

As for May, the reasons it is less expensive is that May is the beginning of the season, kids are still in school (demand may be less) and some tours may not be running yet (like being too icy to get into Tracy Arm) or running as smoothly as they would be later in the season. I have cruised Alaska twice in May (and about to go again next May) and loved it. I've been told that May is generally one of the drier months in Alaska and have found that to be true on my cruises. We also went once in June, over the summer solstice which was also great and quite dry, too.

With respect to the tours not running as smoothly, by that I mean that the tour guides may not be as experienced as they would be later in the season. We had one tour in Skagway where there were only six of us on the first glass blowing tour of the season. The tour was great; we actually got to make two items instead of one. The only thing I noticed was that the guide didn't have the knowledge to answer questions but that would come with time and greater experience. The guides aren't necessarily locals. Not a big deal but something to be aware of should you choose to go in May.

If you would save one third by going in May over July, I think that's a no brainer, particularly with 8 people!

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have a great cruise.

A May cruise is fine ... usually better weather.

The reason for the lower price is that it's very early in the season. If there's a heavy snow accumulation over the winter or an spring snow, some places may not be accessible once, especially true once you get north of Anchorage. Plus the long days are just starting so the Spring green up won't have started. So you'll see lots of brown.

Memorial Day and even June 1 are the start of the season for some businesses and lodging, so if you have your heart set on something in particular, make sure it's available during your time frame.

IMHO, the best course of action would be to take a late May cruise so that you don't arrive in Denali until June 1, when the shuttle buses start running to the Eielson Visitor Center.

If you want to do the land tour on your own, you can take the Alaska Railroad or Park Connection Bus to Denali. Or better yet, rent 2 cars and play tag team, changing up the drivers and passengers every couple of hours !

Do some research and decide what is important for you and your group to see. Then decide on the cruise line and itinerary. For example, not all lines go to Glacier Bay. I don't know for sure but I think the only lines that go to GB are Princess, HAL and NCL.

Read some guide books, read reviews here on CC and ask questions here and on the cruise line forums to see if that cruise line will work for your group.

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming.

I will take a look at HAL to see what they offer. Have any of you used Royal Caribbean for an Alaskan cruise? Thoughts?

I used Royal Caribbean and it was simply flawless, from beginning to end.

You'll find that the majority of people will tell you though that the cruise lines in Alaska are all pretty similar, it just comes down to itinerary. Choose the places you want to see and things you want to do, then see which cruise line does it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are wanting to do a cruisetour and in looking at the prices, it looks like I can save about 1/3 of the price by cruising in May vs. July. Does anyone know what the main differences in the 2 months will be? Do you see a good bit of wildlife and whales in Mid to late May or does it need to be later in the season. Temperatures are really not an issue. We just want to see the most that we can for the best price. What we are looking at is an 11 or 12 day total trip with 7 of those being on a southbound cruise. I hope to find one with a couple days in Denali.

Will we disappointed in what we don't see if we go in May vs other times during the summer? If so, does anyone know what time of year strikes the best balance between cost and what you get for it?

I have read that the costs are less in early May when the times are before the Memorial Day holiday. Add to this it is the 'Dry Month', and the bears while out are a little slower when moving about, so a little easier to see.

john

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming.

I will take a look at HAL to see what they offer. Have any of you used Royal Caribbean for an Alaskan cruise? Thoughts?

I did do RCCL to Alaska and would not recommend them. It was the least favorite of all of my cruises to Alaska. They just did not compare to Princess. Plus, they can not go to Glacier Bay. A must IMO for a first cruise to Alaska.

I love sailing at the end of May and first of June. One negative is that you can't get far into Denali until after June 1. The other negative is that salmon are not running so the bear excursions are not going. After saying that, I have had several bear sightings in May.

I did do RCCL to Alaska and would not recommend them. It was the least favorite of all of my cruises to Alaska. They just did not compare to Princess. Plus, they can not go to Glacier Bay. A must IMO for a first cruise to Alaska.

I love sailing at the end of May and first of June. One negative is that you can't get far into Denali until after June 1. The other negative is that salmon are not running so the bear excursions are not going. After saying that, I have had several bear sightings in May.

Just your personal opinion...After many years of cruising RCI I did try PCL and wanted very much to like them...sadly I didn't...Each to their own standards :)

Just your personal opinion...After many years of cruising RCI I did try PCL and wanted very much to like them...sadly I didn't...Each to their own standards :)

Were all the trips to Alaska?

I also found RCI to have a good point of including Hoonah but both HAL and Princess having superior Alaska itineraries. But, any Alaska trip can be great. :)

IF wildlife is your priority then you need a northbound trip and getting to Denali June 1 or later so to get to at least Eielson. Especially avoid a southbound May cruise idea as your Denali dates are too early. Go for as long as you can afford, 11 days is too short in my opinion.

It is my opinion. But it is also many in the cruise industries opinion also (they win awards for Alaska). If RCCL was popular in Alaska, they would send far more ships than they currently do.

For as long as I can remember, they have had at most 2 ships in Alaska. If Alaska was a big hit for them, they would have 4 or 5 minimum. Princess often has 6 or 7.

Princess does have Glacier Bay and their one way cruises have some of the best itineraries.

I by no means think Princess is perfect, but they presented a better Alaskan experience compared to RCCL. It is iffy every year and even on sailings week by week if they have a naturalist or enrichment speaker on their cruise. Their commitment to Alaska just didn't exist on my sailing.

While I have enjoyed my Royal Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean, we also thought they missed the target in Alaska. They had no naturalist, no speakers whom came on-board and the only talks of Alaska were shopping. We would never recommend Royal Caribbean to cruisers in Alaska. What is strange is that Celebrity does a whole lot more in Alaska for their cruisers and they are owned by the same company. It is like night and day.

Can you tell me what you didn't like about rccl and what you did like about princess, also what princess ship did you like? I can't do a cruisetour, just a cruise?

Hi-

I imagine that the prices are cheaper in May because it's not quite as warm as the summer. We went around Memorial Day and it was in the 50s. I just did a post to my blog about planning a trip to Alaska. If you're interested, you can find it at http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com. - Diana

Thanks Diana. Nice advice in your blog. My family is looking at Alaska this year and a May departure may work for us. Northbound makes sense and then do a trip on our own in early June to Denali. Any suggestions on vendors for a 3 day, 2 nights in Denali?

Thanks Diana. Nice advice in your blog. My family is looking at Alaska this year and a May departure may work for us. Northbound makes sense and then do a trip on our own in early June to Denali. Any suggestions on vendors for a 3 day, 2 nights in Denali?

A vendor ? It's only 240 miles from Anchorage to Denali. You can rent a car and drive. Or take the Alaska Railroad or Park Connection Bus, or train one way and bus the other.

The hangup with bus or train is that you need to stay at one of the large hotels near the entrance which offers a shuttle to/from the park entrance. With a car you have more lodging options since you can get yourself to the park. Google the Denali Chamber of Commerce for lodging info.

Can you tell me what you didn't like about rccl and what you did like about princess, also what princess ship did you like? I can't do a cruisetour, just a cruise?

RCCL didn't have or do anything "Alaska onboard". I had heard from friends who had gone with Princess about all the speakers they bring onboard, the Naturalist onboard, etc... The only thing "Alaskan" that was mentioned was the shopping in ports! Part of my lack of research, our port times were poor, we tendered in Juneau which was incredibly disorganized especially since we got there at 2 pm and while not the cause of the cruise line, we missed Hubbard Glacier. Since there wasn't a 2nd glacier on the itinerary, I missed a major part on my cruise IMO.

So I spent quite a bit of time researching and went back the following year. I picked Princess and we had 2 glacier days (Glacier Bay and College Fiords). For the most part, I have had very good Naturalists onboard with the exception of 1 or 2. I really enjoy this enrichment part of the cruise. I have also benefited from speakers that are brought on board such as Libby Riddles (first female to win Iditarod).

Now, when I go to Alaska or when I recommend Alaska, I strongly recommend 2 glacier days as if you only schedule 1 and miss it, it is disappointing and most people only go to Alaska once. Also, Hubbard Glacier is missed more often than Glacier Bay and I prefer Glacier Bay which RCCL can not go to.

I also found the Radiance crowded compared to the Princess ships I have taken to Alaska. I think that is probably still true with the exception of the Crown Princess. I wouldn't recommend that ship (Crown) to Alaska.

Just my 2 cents. I thought Princess experiences Alaska while RCCL simply stops at the ports.

Edited by Coral

Where did you see the bears in May? Which port(s) or excursion(s)? We are going Memorial Day week, and I so very much hope to see bears. I know there are never any guarantees, and they go where they want to go, but I want to put myself in the locations where bear sightings will be most likely to happen. Thanks so much in advance for your response!

Hi Coral,

All are entitled to their opinion. Mine is that Princess is very over-rated, our worst cruise ever has been on Princess. We choose a cruise line by their itinerary not the ship (except like smaller ships better) and that one time it was Princess. We've been on the Big Red Boat, NCL. RCCL, Carnival also. Rccl has never let us down. That's all I can say.

I won't say will "never" sail on them again but they will need to have one amazing itinerary for us to do so.

We are going on our 1st cruise to Alaska & again chose the cruise line due to intinerary. To us that's the key point.