Noro Virus On Board. Ships Doctors Bills?

We were recently on Dawn Princess and Travel Insurance was required. Or are you responding to the statement that they didn't charge for Noro consultations?

The thread is "Noro Virus On Board, Ship Doctors Bills?" I am replying in regards to the Noro question. As for Travel Insurance and visiting a Doctor onboard, that should be a new thread and not hijack an existing thread. Makes it easier to find the correct information.:)

I contracted noro on the Silversea expedition ship in the Arctic. The doctor came to the cabin, gave me a shot, rehydration drinks and panadol and did not charge. There was an outbreak so maybe because of this. In fact, he said that because it was noro we would not be charged. A pleasant surprise in between throwing up!

The funny thing was that he was very concerned that I had a temperature and apologised that as this was a small ship, he did not have a nurse to sponge me. He was keen to ask our butler but I declined.

He also rang the cabin several times to see how I was.

I contracted noro on the Silversea expedition ship in the Arctic. The doctor came to the cabin, gave me a shot, rehydration drinks and panadol and did not charge. There was an outbreak so maybe because of this. In fact, he said that because it was noro we would not be charged. A pleasant surprise in between throwing up!

The funny thing was that he was very concerned that I had a temperature and apologised that as this was a small ship, he did not have a nurse to sponge me. He was keen to ask our butler but I declined.

He also rang the cabin several times to see how I was.

That's great attention, but I suppose with the price of a Silversea cruise we shouldn't be surprised. :D

I have heard that passengers on more mass-market cruise ships often receive follow-up phone calls and visits to see how they are. That level of attention might be difficult if there were a couple of hundred patients to look after.

The thread is "Noro Virus On Board, Ship Doctors Bills?" I am replying in regards to the Noro question. As for Travel Insurance and visiting a Doctor onboard, that should be a new thread and not hijack an existing thread. Makes it easier to find the correct information.:)

Sorry about the slight deviation off topic.:o

I have often seen , on cruiseline websites, that travel insurance is required to go on a cruise.. BUT -- I have never ever had anybody check whether we had insurance or not.

Barry

The cruise line couldn't care less if you didn't have travel insurance. Just like international airlines and hotels don't check if you have travel Insurance. The onus is on you to pay the medical or other bills if needed.

Sure. But you quoted MicCanberra's post about Travel Insurance and Medicare in your reply so thought that was the question you were responding to. :)

Edited by Pushka