Noro Virus On Board. Ships Doctors Bills?

Just another thread regarding the Noro Virus that seems to be on most ships from time to time. If you are a lucky and come down with the virus. Is there still a charge to go to the ships doctor on board? Or is this free as it would be in the ships interest and every other passenger that it doesn't spread around to every one?

I thought that i read some time ago that if you come down with this there is no charge for ships doctor? (Not too sure)

Regards Zanny:confused:

Just another thread regarding the Noro Virus that seems to be on most ships from time to time. If you are a lucky and come down with the virus. Is there still a charge to go to the ships doctor on board? Or is this free as it would be in the ships interest and every other passenger that it doesn't spread around to every one?

I thought that i read some time ago that if you come down with this there is no charge for ships doctor? (Not too sure)

Regards Zanny:confused:

I got the Noro on Arcadia last year, £60 to see the Doc. I have not had the need to see the doc on Aussie ships, but I reckon they would charge $100. One reason why pax with the noro won't report in to the ships doc, costs them money, selfish so' and so's, the pax I mean, not the docs.

I didn't get noro but it was going around Rhapsody when we were onboard in November. They were advising that the visit to the doctor, and treatment, was complimentary.

No charge on Dawn Princess when my wife got.:)

Edited by By The Bay

$75 USD on Diamond Princess a week ago. This was during normal surgery open hours. Would have cost more if we saw the Doctor outside of this time.

Not bad, we pay $75 to see a GP down here in Batemans Bay, no bulk billing GP's here.

Albeit we get $35 back from Medicare, but still a $40 contribution from one's own pocket.

No real treatment for noro on the ships, diagnosis and isolation, then the hit squad clean up your cabin.

Edited by NSWP

No idea about charging but would like to add that the rumour spreading quicker than the noro virus on Sea Princess (just in from Fijian Jewels run) was that a bratty kid/teen took off down to medical during the NV outbreak, faking the symptoms as a "laugh". The medical officers didn't find the humour and quarantined them to their room "as a safety precaution" as they'd exposed them-self to the virus! :D

Not sure it was true, but gave us a good laugh at their idiocy! We sure gave that level a wide berth!!

Now that I remember a seperate letter was also delivered with this info on it .

My husband and I both came down with it - We stayed in our Cabin and toughed it out tho' . Hopefully we have built up a little bit better resistance to this sort of Bug in the future .

Now that I remember a seperate letter was also delivered with this info on it .

My husband and I both came down with it - We stayed in our Cabin and toughed it out tho' . Hopefully we have built up a little bit better resistance to this sort of Bug in the future .

Sorry to hear you had it, but (sorry to say) I don't think that will improve your resistance to it in the future.

Sorry to hear you had it, but (sorry to say) I don't think that will improve your resistance to it in the future.

I have read up way too much on this subject , and I know we did all the right/recommended procedures to keep safe , I sometimes think we should have drank more Alcohol to avoid it ! ;)

We were recently on Dawn Princess and Travel Insurance was required.

I have often seen , on cruiseline websites, that travel insurance is required to go on a cruise.. BUT -- I have never ever had anybody check whether we had insurance or not.

Barry

Mic might have meant for general medical appointments, not noro. :) I think $100 per visit is the usual cost, plus any medications.

Yes, that is what I meant.

For Noro, it seems some ship's medical centres charge and others do not.

I do find it crazy that if someone has noro that they are told to report tyo the doctor, they then go through the ship to get to the medical area and have spread the very contagious disease everywhere.:confused:

Agreed. Travel insurance is not 'required'. In my opinion, it is advisable.

It is a calculated risk if you travel without insurance. If something happens you will pay and sometimes the cost is very high.

One person (CC meeting on board) told me that they had medical bills from the X ship for $10,000 (previous cruise), after his wife took a bad turn and was in the centre for two days being treated, they didn't have insurance.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra