Tux - To wear or not to wear?

Pet

Please don’t take this as an insulting question! We are cruising on the Voyager of the Seas in March when it re-positions from Sydney to Perth via New Zealand. I imagine there will be at least 3 formal nights on the 18 day cruise and given that the general perception in the UK is that folks from Australia/NZ prefer to dress down for meals I was wondering if it will be worth the effort to bring a dinner jacket etc and for my wife to include gowns in our limited baggage allowance if we are going to feel out of place wearing them? Grateful for views. :)

M & J

Please don’t take this as an insulting question! We are cruising on the Voyager of the Seas in March when it re-positions from Sydney to Perth via New Zealand. I imagine there will be at least 3 formal nights on the 18 day cruise and given that the general perception in the UK is that folks from Australia/NZ prefer to dress down for meals I was wondering if it will be worth the effort to bring a dinner jacket etc and for my wife to include gowns in our limited baggage allowance if we are going to feel out of place wearing them? Grateful for views. :)

M & J

Not all Australians "dress down" and in fact most would wear at least a jacket into the MDR (Main Dining Room) on formal nights. We have always taken gowns/dinner suits on our Princess cruises, no matter what part of the world we cruise in. I assume the Voyager has a similar dress code. You definitely won't feel out of place if you "dress up".

I hope you will enjoy spending your holidays in Australia and NZ ...just watch out for the dropbears :D

There will be a smallish number of men in Dinner suits (Tuxes) on Voyager Formal nights --but most will be in Business type suits. I am now in the habit of leaving my Tux at home and bringing a plain black suit onto Aussie based ships -- then I can wear a plain black bow tie with it or an ordinary tie. When wearing a Bowie, I am certain that most Aussies think I am wearing a Tux ( most wouldn't understand the difference!) :)

Barry

On that Voyager cruise there will be a plentiful number of international passengers...esp. from US and UK. The Australians on board will include very few Bogans (see other post).

On all our cruises we have always dressed up for the formal dinners. My wife takes a different gown for each formal night (does not actually take up all that much room in luggage - apart from shoes !). I take a dinner jacket, matching black trousers (which can be worn at other times), a fancy shirt and a selection of different coloured bow ties to match whatever Shirley is wearing.

So by all means dress up for formal nights...its a big part of the cruising experience. I have seen so many fantastic outfits over the years, including kilts and sporrans; outlandish waistcoats and often military regalia.:D

cheers

We dress up for formal night. As Flipper said, it is part of the cruising experience.

On Princess my husband wears a tux, but on the local P&O he wears a business suit & tie because there aren't so many men in dinner suits. His tux actually weighs less than his business suit.

I wear evening outfits - sometimes different evening tops with the same long black skirt. One pair of black high heels goes with the lot. I have given up on taking several pairs of evening shoes.

Enjoy your cruise. You won't feel or look out of place if you do wear formal clothes. It depends on what you are used to wearing and will feel comfortable in. :)

We dress up for the formal nights on our cruises.

For me that is a tux/dark suit with a formal shirt (tux ruffles) cumberbund and bow tie.

For my wife it is gowns or dressy evening wear with some bling and a few accessories like sparkly shawls, etc.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We did Radiance of the Seas - Perth to Sydney via NZ 18 nighter a couple of years ago and yes, many international guests, and it was the most formally dressed trip we have seen so far. I can't remember the ratio, but I know there was quite a few Brits and I remember around 400 from USA on a ship of a bit over 2000 passengers.

I would say the shorter trips around the pacific islands etc are less formal, but if you enjoy your formal nights, I would take whatever you can comfortably fit in your luggage. I really enjoyed the quality of the outfits on formal nights on that trip, and the dress code was pretty well enforced in the MDR for sure all nights.

I was impressed at the formal nights and the effort peeps went to on our recent Pacific Islander cruise. But I totally agree with another poster, the average Aussie would not have any idea of the difference between a tux & a black suit with a bow tie :D! On a happy note those that do know, wouldn't give two hoots or think anything less of someone doing either!:)

The dresses I pack for formals are crush free, iron free ones, and squash down well in a suitcase. As for hubs, he just wore same jacket & pants and wore different shirts & ties! As per another poster, I have a pair of silver glittery shoes that do the trick for all the outfits. ;)

Regardless I bet you will have a great cruise & I hope you enjoy our hospitality :)

We have done a few cruises in Australian waters and I agree, the Aussies don't like to dress up in a dinner suit or tax. Most dress in a lounge suit. Me....I like to dress up in a dinner suit. Most cruises, I can count the number of men in a tux or dinner suit on one hand, but it is still nice. And my wife enjoys dressing up as well. All part of the cruising experience I agree.

I am a total ""Grub" But I wore my Tux on VOS last year for all formals, Black jacket for the first , white jacket for the second,then Black jacket for the third:)

I chucked a wobbly getting dressed for the third as my pants wouldnt do up:D

But even though I never need to wear a suit in real life I think anyone in a Tux looks great on a cruise and those without look like they wished they had one;)

Bring your Tux!

I am a total ""Grub" But I wore my Tux on VOS last year for all formals, Black jacket for the first , white jacket for the second,then Black jacket for the third:)

I chucked a wobbly getting dressed for the third as my pants wouldnt do up:D

But even though I never need to wear a suit in real life I think anyone in a Tux looks great on a cruise and those without look like they wished they had one;)

Bring your Tux!

Great points both about the weight gain and about the people wishing they had dressed up when they hadn't. I think it makes it more special when you are making the effort.:D

Probably the ratio of men 'dressing up' would be greater on a longer cruise compared with a short cruise up the Q'ld coast or to the islands. On the longer cruises I have noticed the vast majority of men (maybe up to 90%) wear either a business suit or a tux. The number wearing a tux has decreased over the years, but would probably be around a quarter.

Have any other men here experienced totally unknown ladies coming up to them and complimenting you on your dress ( when in a Tux -- or even just when in my black suit with Bowie.)

It seems that the ladies do like their men to look a bit "James Bondish" :)

Barry

Have any other men here experienced totally unknown ladies coming up to them and complimenting you on your dress ( when in a Tux -- or even just when in my black suit with Bowie.)

Barry

Geez Baz, wish I could have some random ladies try & pick my hubbie up :D! Will have to get him a tux (or a black suit n bow tie ;) ) might be able to trade him off on the next cruise!! :D

Barry

happens all the time, which is why I keep bringing my tux.;)

Geez Baz, wish I could have some random ladies try & pick my hubbie up :D! Will have to get him a tux (or a black suit n bow tie ;) ) might be able to trade him off on the next cruise!! :D

There are always plenty of takers (single women) looking for a night of frivolity.:D

M & J

We have just done a 14 night cruise to NZ on Voyager and we had 3 formal nights. There were a few men in tuxedos but the majority wore business suits. The were very few women in evening dresses as such but all looked lovely in dressier outfits. We loved formal nights it's so nice to dress up and the atmosphere on formal night is special. We thought everyone made a special effort. The majority of passengers were Aussies. My husband packed 2 shirts to go with his suit and I had black evening pants with 3 different evening tops.

Edited by Kingos

We have just done a 14 night cruise to NZ on Voyager and we had 3 formal nights. There were a few men in tuxedos but the majority wore business suits. The were very few women in evening dresses as such but all looked lovely in dressier outfits. We loved formal nights it's so nice to dress up and the atmosphere on formal night is special. We thought everyone made a special effort. The majority of passengers were Aussies. My husband packed 2 shirts to go with his suit and I had black evening pants with 3 different evening tops.

Glad you had a good cruise and I agree, that while most are not dressed in true 'formal' gear, most are dressed up and make the effort to make the night special.:D

Barry

I can go one better than that, Barry.

Two years ago I wore my bight red suit on formal night and as well as numerous compliments, a group of young ladies asked if they could have their photograph taken with me. DW was amused! Alas, the red suit must have shrunk because it doesn't fit anymore although I am hopeful that it may do so by next year.

image.jpg.3f996bb593dff65f7ed2293a80ba7701.jpg

I can go one better than that, Barry.

Two years ago I wore my bight red suit on formal night and as well as numerous compliments, a group of young ladies asked if they could have their photograph taken with me. DW was amused! Alas, the red suit must have shrunk because it doesn't fit anymore although I am hopeful that it may do so by next year.

It is the sea air on the open ocean, it shrinks all my clothes, even the ones that I left at home.:eek:

To tux or not to tux that is the question...depends if you want to get lucky...there is nothing so sexy as a man in a tux! Ladies don't have to go to extremes with gowns..evening pants with sparkly tops are fine. Pacific cruises tend to be less formal...but its fun to dress up, for me its party of my cruising rituals..

Sue

To tux or not to tux that is the question...depends if you want to get lucky...there is nothing so sexy as a man in a tux! Ladies don't have to go to extremes with gowns..evening pants with sparkly tops are fine. Pacific cruises tend to be less formal...but its fun to dress up, for me its party of my cruising rituals..

Sue

Are you saying that men are not that fussed with what a woman wears, she will get lucky anyway.;)

Edited by MicCanberra