The Hump

Looking at booking Indy and see people talk about hump cabins ....what is this?

Is it where the ship goes out on the sides? Are these good cabins to have. I wanted an aft balcony but I see their kind of obstructed due to the way the freedom class ships are built.

Is it where the ship goes out on the sides? Are these good cabins to have. I wanted an aft balcony but I see their kind of obstructed due to the way the freedom class ships are built.

No big deal IMHO. We've had them several times and they are really nothing special. We don't spend much time in our cabin or on the balcony but would rather be out and about on the ship with the great 360 degree views. Personally I would book an inside and book another cruise for the money that I save on the balcony -- hump or not.

No big deal IMHO. We've had them several times and they are really nothing special. We don't spend much time in our cabin or on the balcony but would rather be out and about on the ship with the great 360 degree views. Personally I would book an inside and book another cruise for the money that I save on the balcony -- hump or not.

You couldn't have said it any better! Totally agree with you!

The main draw of the "hump" cabins is location...very, very convenient to stairs and elevators. Only on Radiance class does the "hump" give you additional space (on some of the cabins)....on Voyager/Freedom class, there is no size advantage to the hump...it's convenience!

We always book the centre hump if we can, great views all the way forward and back, and right next to the elevator and stairs so easy access to your room at any time. I like to use the stairs and find I can go a whole cruise with never using the elevator when I'm on the hump. :)

We have heard that a more forward facing hump can be a bit windy when underway. We are booked on a hump later in January in a cabin that is one back from the centre on the hump. We are hoping we will find it easier to get everywhere being so close to the lifts/stairs. It will be easy for us to contrast as we are doing B2B and our first week's cabin is nearly at the back of the ship, and it will be a long walk every time. :) We will be able to contrast the mid ship and aft rocking and rolling too!

We love the hump cabins! Had a rear facing one on the Mariner that helped cut down on the wind whenever we were out on the balcony. Had a center hump on the Navigator. Great but I think I liked the rear facing one a little better. Next cruise we'll be in a slightly forward facing hump on the Navigator again. Just can't get enough of those hump cabins! And you just can't beat the location! :D

We're in a forward-facing hump cabin on the 6th deck on Indy in February. Picked it for the convenient location, mainly, and the price was not bad at all when we booked back in August. Hope it's not too windy! Either way, I'm sure we will enjoy it. A cruise to celebrate our honeymoon and escape from the bitter cold we're experiencing in Wisconsin this winter...can't go wrong with that! :)

We like the convenience of hump balconies.

If you are dead center hump has great views for and aft also

If you are watching submarine races on your balcony nobody can look in;)

Dead-center hump in our neighborhood was the RS, but we got to stop by for drinks after dinner.

The sole downslde with that particular location on the Radiance (1554) was we were the closest cabin to the Card Room on Deck 10. Cards are quiet, but not so much Rummikub and Dominoes - played at all hours, on the many sea days Hawaii-to-Vancouver. We are 'behind the hump' on Serenade next time, but noticed on the deck plans have cabin 1053 in "That space" and their card room is down below.

I love being mid-ship for the convenience, hump cabin or not. But when possible, I book a hump cabin. I like being able to see forward or aft but mostly I book a hump (on Voyager class ships) for that little bit of extra space. I need a medical refrigerator when cruising and it is installed under the vanity where the chair goes, so the chair has to be moved somewhere else in the cabin or removed completed. With the hump cabin I can put the chair in the extra space and move it out to the balcony for an extra seat when I have friends over. And, yes, with three chairs on the balcony it can be a little crowded:rolleyes: Below is the pic of the the extra space from my hump cabin on Mariner.

HumpCabinonMariner.jpg