In-room TV channels

sailandcruise

I have several questions about the in-room TV channels.

First, I am someone who enjoys knowing about the nautical aspects of our cruise, so I often leave the TV tuned to the navigation channel while in the room. I like that this channel doesn't have any sound. However, I think it would be good to broadcast announcements on this channel as well as on the channel with the bridge camera. (And while they're at it, how about on the channel with the aft-facing camera as well?). As it is, whenever I heard an announcement from the hallway speaker, I had to switch to the bridge camera channel to hear it. (And it came with am slight delay, which made for some interesting sound effects until I turned up the volume to drown out the hallway speaker.). Also, this channel kept displaying the temperature of the jacuzzis and hydropool, but not the outside air temperature, which I would have found more useful. What do these pool temperatures have to do with navigation? :rolleyes:

Second, the program guide channel didn't have the listings for TCM or TNT, just the name of the networks. So there was no way to know what was on or what was coming on later for these channels.

Third, the HAL information channels devoted to the shopping lecture and the shore excursion lecture played the same loop continuously for the whole cruise. Why do they tell us about ports we've already visited? Couldn't these channels be used for something more interesting and relevant as the cruise progresses? I suppose that I should be thankful that at least these lectures were the actual talks given on my cruise, and not a generic advertisement produced at corporate. :rolleyes:

Obviously, none of these things is a big deal, and didn't adversely affect my overall cruise enjoyment. And no, I wasn't awake in my cabin that much that this mattered much at all. But little things add up, and it wouldn't cost much for HAL to pay attention to these little things and improve overall quality.

Last time we sailed, we borrowed DVDs from HAL. Admittedly the tv channels are less than desirable, but HAL does offer a large selection of movies that you can request. We found the list of available titles in the information in our stateroom.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

I'm a news 'junkie' and I often turn on the TV when in the cabin to stay current with the news.

DH and I watch movies sometimes. He isn't retired so we don't always watch them at home too often.

Faux news, International CNN and sales pitches for everything on board. Some movie and kid channels but poor info on what is being shown.

On the second day of your last cruise Faux news got switched to TBS and never went back. Just fyi

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can come on here with a valid question and then others choose to judge that person over how they choose to spend their time on their cruise.

If "sailandcruise" wants to watch TV on his/her cruise, what business is it of yours? I am quite sure that those who felt the need to state that THEY don't watch TV while on a cruise, all in a huff, have some habits and behavior the rest of us would think odd too. Or do you just always feel the need to act better than the rest of us?

Edited by Spire2000

there is an information channel on the TV that provides a type of TV guide. but it is a bit slow and cumbersome. sometimes, it is easier just to switch channels :D But it is there.

One thing I like is that the movies featured the day before in the theatre are on the tv the next day. All we are missing is the popcorn:D

Is it true, that one channel will provide the sound to the Captain's daily update? I always find I need to open my cabin door to hear them. I would be obliged if someone could tell me which channel to tune to!

TIA!

If I remember correctly, there used to be a switch on the headboard that you could turn on to receive the announcements in the room. That is now gone. I have never been able to find the announcements on the TV. Some rooms you can't hear announcements at all and some you can hear if you get near the door. I also think the announcements should be on one of the channels. Some of the announcements are important. It would be nice if you could hear them.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a switch on the headboard that you could turn on to receive the announcements in the room. That is now gone. I have never been able to find the announcements on the TV. Some rooms you can't hear announcements at all and some you can hear if you get near the door. I also think the announcements should be on one of the channels. Some of the announcements are important. It would be nice if you could hear them.

On the Zaandam last year there was still a multichannel switch on the headboard, and a volume control. I believe the announcements were on channel 1 and music was on a couple of the other channels.

On the Eurodam last month the announcements were on a TV channel, I believe it was either 40 or 44.

Rich

We do not need to watch the news unless there has been something terrible happen in the world.[/size][/font]]

And if something terrible does happen, I do not want or need to know about it as there is nothing that I can do about it. After all, I am on vacation and on a cruise.

BTW - you are on a ship and there are things to see outside, even if in the middle of the ocean. Turn off the TV and get outside and see the world.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

And if something terrible does happen, I do not want or need to know about it as there is nothing that I can do about it. After all, I am on vacation and on a cruise.

BTW - you are on a ship and there are things to see outside, even if in the middle of the ocean. Turn off the TV and get outside and see the world.

DON

Agree with the poster that made the comment about people judging others. If a person wants to sit in front of the TV 24/7 how is that hurting/bothering you? I watch TV while I'm getting ready and use it as my "sleeping pill" at night. Should I be out on the balcony instead:rolleyes:?

Agree with the poster that made the comment about people judging others. If a person wants to sit in front of the TV 24/7 how is that hurting/bothering you? I watch TV while I'm getting ready and use it as my "sleeping pill" at night. Should I be out on the balcony instead:rolleyes:?

I agree.......

We all enjoy our vactions/cruises our own way.

As long as what I am doing is not inconveniencing or bothering someone else, why would they care? If we want to spend our whole cruise watching movies...... why not? !