HELP!! Lost bag!! Family Heirloom Ring Inside!!

My TA has suggested I use his business address on all of my luggage. I took him up on the offer years ago and once, when United "lost" my luggage on a connecting flight home, it was later delivered to his address the following day.

I, too, would never use my home address on the luggage tags. How about a trusted friend or neighbor's address?

Darcy

Wouldn't work for me: I'm in CA and she's in FL. I could put my next door neighbor's address on my luggage tags.

LOL .. awesome.. :D Someone in FLL finds my bag with my SLC address on it and fly's accross the country to break in my house.. One quick search on internet of my name and city, you have my address anyway:rolleyes:

exactly, someone finds/steals my bag in FL and decides to call his buddy in bf Ohio to let him know at least someone at my address is in FL. really?

also take a pic of your bags - we lost our bags on our last cruise (somehow the tags got ripped off so it was in limbo). when they asked me to describe it (and they had pics of different types of bags to choose from - it was kind of difficult.

i thought if i took a pic it would be better to describe. also if you can't scan your passport, you can always take a pic of it...makes it easier to fill out all those custom forms rather than having all your passports out to get the info.

good memory if you can memorize passports numbers, date of issues, etc...

Interesting. I don't have software that allows me to access my computer from anywhere. Truth be told, I actually emailed the passport numbers to myself so I can access them that way instead of carrying around photocopies. However, I know that's not secure either. My email *could* be hacked, and then someone *could* review my emails and find my passport numbers, etc.... At some point, you need to decide the risks you are willing to take.

I put photos of those on my phone, along with photos of the actual luggage. Been told by someone who travels more than I ever will in my lifetime pictures are much easier than trying to describe the bags. Likewise, he admires I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to own burgundy/purple luggage. By time everyone else figures out which basically-identical black bag is theirs, I'm in the taxi.

Our friend lost her carry on (again with no ID) after getting off Royal Caribbean in Ft. Lauderdale - we had to wait for hotel shuttle across the street and the pier there was used for several cruise lines - she called the cruise line for the ship docked there (after going back and searching for it) - they said they would contact that ship and sure enough they had it - they had to clear all luggage so took everything left on sidewalk with them. They fedexed it back to her when the ship returned at no charge. So maybe the same will happen for you - good luck!

Jacquelyn - I also email stuff to myself (scanned copies of eyeglass prescriptions, passport, etc.). I have since started using Dropbox. It's in the cloud and just easier to store than in email. Google Drive is also another option. I usually make a folder for each trip with itinerary, hotels, my important docs, etc. I then share that folder with a relative in case we were to get "lost" or something (more applicable for non-cruise travel).

The QR codes and GPS are really interesting though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since we are sharing strategies on this cautionary thread (and OP, I do hope you get your bag back with its contents!)

We started using luggage tags with only a QR code and a web address a few years ago. I don't need to put my home address,(even though I leave a big dog and an even bigger man house sitting when we travel) but I do put our phone numbers, our current itinerary with dates and with the addresses of each hotel and our home and destination airports. You even ahve the ability to leave a message - i always write: reward offered for extra motivation! :D. For each trip I can rescan the tag, then log in to the website and update the itinerary. They also sell QR stickers for cameras, phones, and computers. I need to get more for my own devices, but I tagged all my DDs when she went off to college.

Here is the site where they sell these kinds of tags...I find them very helpful!

http://www.myrume.com/SearchResultGrid.aspx?CategoryID=59

Count me in as another who puts a cabin luggage tag on every bag, so that even a misplaced carry on will get to my cabin (we can all hope:o)

Family, that sounds pretty cool. I have a few questions for you. How do you scan them to enter the info? By smart phone or attachment to your computer? Also how would you expect the finder to scan them? I would expect if they were going to do anything they would call the number that is hand written.

I am interested in these tags and ask for theoretical purposes. Many thanks for the answers. Did you have this tag system prior to losing your bag?

Andrew

Interesting. I don't have software that allows me to access my computer from anywhere. Truth be told, I actually emailed the passport numbers to myself so I can access them that way instead of carrying around photocopies. However, I know that's not secure either. My email *could* be hacked, and then someone *could* review my emails and find my passport numbers, etc.... At some point, you need to decide the risks you are willing to take.

Just had a thought - one could encrypt the document with a password to unencrypted.

Could somebody in CC advise on how to do this for the benefit of the CC members?

Have you called the local pawn shops? do you have a pic of jewel's?

Since you had your name on scripts -- who ever found this bag can get your info "if they really wanted to".

Have you tried calling the doctor on the script to see if anyone called the Dr. about finding your meds?

Just had a thought - one could encrypt the document with a password to unencrypted.

Could somebody in CC advise on how to do this for the benefit of the CC members?

Use a program called TrueCrypt. It is free and very well received in the tech community. What you will do is create an encrypted file container and then copy all your files into there. If you want to save this file on the internet, I would try to keep it under 5mb.

When you go to open it, it will ask for the password and assign a drive letter to the container (it will act as a removable flash drive in essence). Browse to the drive, look at all your sensitive documents, and when you are done, click on "dismount drive letter ( x: )".

-----

Other topic suggestion:

Take a picture of your business card as the first picture on each of your memory cards. If you lose your camera and someone flips through the pictures, they now have your contact info.

Edited by Rewind

Use a program called TrueCrypt. It is free and very well received in the tech community. What you will do is create an encrypted file container and then copy all your files into there. If you want to save this file on the internet, I would try to keep it under 5mb.

When you go to open it, it will ask for the password and assign a drive letter to the container (it will act as a removable flash drive in essence). Browse to the drive, look at all your sensitive documents, and when you are done, click on "dismount drive letter ( x: )".

-----

Other topic suggestion:

Take a picture of your business card as the first picture on each of your memory cards. If you lose your camera and someone flips through the pictures, they now have your contact info.

Many thanks for your kindness :)