The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

What's the rest of that line about "The best laid plans of mice and men..."?

Gang Aft Aglay." or in other words often go awry! :D

You are so right, Ruth.

I'm enjoying LizB's and your posts so much. Thank you both for taking the time out of your busy schedules to do this for all of us. :)

It had to happen. Rain or deluge---doesn't matter. The tour must go on! So several dozen passengers traipsed down the pier to board an 1890's schooner I'm just glad I didn't take the walking tour.

The above reminded me of the B2B I did in the summer of 2001 on the Amsterdam. Landed in Oslo and I was supposed to take a 2 or 3 hour bike tour around the city. Excursion was not canceled ofcourse. So about 10 hearty souls and myself waited under a tarp till the guide showed up and then we all walked to the other end of the harbor we were docked in. Luckly, I had some warm sami waterproof stuff to wear. Though they did have panchos<sp> that they sold us. Sure was an interesting way to start a cruise. LOL After somehow walking back to the ship. First place I went to was the lido and just soaked in a hot tub for about an hour.

Ruth, I'm coming on board late. But just finished reading your cruise up to this point. So glad you're keeping us all with you once again. I wish we were in the position to do this cruise, but alas we just don't have the time alloted to us. Thanks again for taking us all along..."It's delightful."

I've had ample opportunity to watch how people dressed for the four formal, three informal, and remaining casual nights. Most folks are doing well at upholding the standard on formal nights; informal nights seem to confuse many, many people---but the rest of the time! :eek:

On formal nights the vast majority of men are in tuxedos or dinner jackets; the majority of the remainder are in suits. There's a sprinkling of sport coats, and very few who can't get with the program. Those men do stick right out, too; a few of them never change from their daywear.

Most women have made an obvious attempt to dress up---even if what they're wearing could under no circumstances be considered "formal". There have been many truly beautiful outfits.

But on casual nights---OMG!

Far, far too many people don't even bother to change out of what they've worn all day! I'll never understand how people can run around ports---or the ship---all day, then not even clean up when they go out for the evening.

Then again, far too many people have lowered the bar on what's appropriate for daytime around the ship. I've lost count of people attired in the HAL bathrobe in public, non-pool areas. I suppose I should be grateful that Mr. Tidy-Whites from last year isn't back. :rolleyes:

Hi Ruth, I enjoyed your post on the various modes of dress. It is good to hear that most people are dressing well for formal nights. I think informal has confused many for a long time. Casual is no longer even "elegantly casual". I know from my last cruises, it has become messy and slobby for many people. They do not even bother to change or clean up after being in their clothes all day. I agree with you on this , Ruth. Wish I were there to "people watch " with you. It is really sad to see how "casual" has gotten so sloppy. You are halfway through your cruise and you have not mentioned yet whether you have a roomie. Enjoy your day in Rotterdam. Till the next installment...Adele

Just catching up on your saga as I`ve been out of town for a few days. Glad you are still our bright and perky Ruth!! You really hit a nerve when you mentioned the HAL robes, why do people think its OK to wear them out of their cabin and around the decks? Keep on keeping on..........jean :cool:

me about "Mr Tidey-whites" I should talk, BUT, some friendly person should have helped him by ironing his hind end and getting it ready for public viewing.

I see that you're in Rotterdam today. Are you planning a repeat of the CC get together?

You're such a great social director... Maybe HAL will hire you when you retire.

I can't believe your trip is at its half way point.

Well now you can start adding hours at night.

Any sitings of the BEAR family or the Hat lady? Tell us about the odd couples, I'm sure you have a few. After all what's a transatlantic without them?

GN

Ruthc sounds like your having a wonderful time. You gotta just love those people with the robes on around the ship!!!!!! I see them out at the pool area and can't believe they use them as bathing suit cover-ups or whatever. You gotta love 'em.

As we waved "tot ziens" to Aussie Gal, noddie 11, and Broon, the Cruise Critic folks continuing the voyage gathered to greet Obriendan, Jim Mcg, and ScottnZelda. There was plenty of time after life-boat drill to put those bulky orange jackets away and meet in the Crow's Nest to enjoy the sail down the Maas River.

HAL graciously provided a reserved area for us on the side with the best views! Way to go HAL! :)

I hope I speak for everyone when I say it was a very nice get-together. Everyone was lively, fun, seemed well-rested and just a joy to be around. We all talked and laughed like old friends.

Obriendan brought gifts of chocolate to me AND sable1 ("Joanne, the chocoholic"). That was very sweet of him to do. We had never met, but Dan and Barbara were also on the Ryndam when I sailed to Antarctica. He thoughtfully brought me a DVD of that cruise---I can't wait to watch it. (Well, may a couple of weeks. ;) )

Thank you, Dan, for you kindness.

It was a gloriously sunny, warm day in Rotterdam. Let's hope our luck holds.

Ruth, so happy to hear that you had nice weather in Rotterdam. We were all able to see your ship and the sunny day by a webcam here on CC. I looked very hard to see if I could find you on deck eating chocolates. Didn't see you or anyone for that matter. Glad that you had such a nice CC party. Again, you are such a good planner. Hope you have a nice day in France tomorrow. Till the next installment....Adele

I'm posting early today as I have a long shore excursion leaving early this afternoon.

There were lots of changes aboard last night. Lots of missing friends and lots of new faces. Looking around the dining room showed new additions to existing tables (including mine), stewards moved around, a new wine steward. The Champagne Strings were gone from the Explorer's Lounge---replaced by the Magic Strings.

Musa has moved to port side in the Lido and Shy is back on starboard. I have a new cabin steward who just boarded. I'm not sure yet what other crew assignments were changed, but do find it a titch disconcerting to re-adjust half-way through a cruise.

Ah well.

Gotta tell you about Rotterdam. First off, it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day. That was a BIG plus. The city itself is very different from Amsterdam as it was destroyed in WWII and was rebuilt. Very modern.

There is a most unusual apartment house called "The Cube"---it's made up of tilted cubes with windows even on the bottom. I'd love to see a floor plan. Or better yet, see pictures of the inside.

The old HAL headquarters was in a pretty building a short distance from the dock. It sports a weather vane of the Halve Moone (at least I think that's what it was) on top. There was one other really neat thing I saw: sailing out, if you look back, there are two tall, red-brick buildings with slanted roofs. On one of them was hanging several different HAL banners used over time! The current one was on the left and the earlier banners were in sequence. I recognized the orange one with the three swooshes from the 1970's.

Today we're in LeHavre, France until 10:00 PM. Better yet---we gain an hour sleep tonight!

Going to get ready for my shore excursion. Au revoir.

Oh Ruth, that is terrible to have things change halfway through your trip. Better luck with your new cabin steward than I had last year. Remember him? Luckily, I don't think there could ever be another as bad as Dede. So glad you had good weather and a nice day in Rotterdam. Enjoy your day in France today. I haven't been there for several years. Let us hear about your day in France. Looking forward to the next installment..... Adele

Today we're in LeHavre, France until 10:00 PM. Better yet---we gain an hour sleep tonight!

Whoa! Your leaving the Netherlands - but you haven't mentioned chocolate? Did you not acquire a rich cache of Holland's favorite export?

Did you not acquire a rich cache of Holland's favorite export?

Tulips ;) ?

Seriously, I think most people would think of tulips as "Holland's favorite export", but chocolate is a good number two I guess!

Now, I'm sure I've seen chocolate tulips somewhere ;) ...

Tulips ;) ?

Seriously, I think most people would think of tulips as "Holland's favorite export", but chocolate is a good number two I guess!

Hmm... never tried eating tulips. Can you melt them and pour them over ice cream? :rolleyes:

They may be a major export, but favorite? I think not.

-dave

"And Charlie, don't forget about what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted. He lived happily ever after." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Ruth, do you think it's possible people are dressing the way they are due to HAL dropping the bar a bit? Although, that doesn't excuse folks from their "cabin robe" parades. I just never "got" that. We're trying Princess Western Europe/Transatlantic to NYC for the first time this month. We'll be at some of the ports you're traveling. Too bad not at the same time.

Someday, I gotta take this trip. It just sounds so interesting.

Tom, I would LOVE to do the full-month round-trip. I've done a crossing from Europe to America on the Maasdam on that route before, and it was great fun, but to do the whole trip ... wow!

Sadldy, the price is WOW too. :)

Since I’ve learned how to get online and allayed my fears of using up all my minutes in one sitting, it’s time to rejoin this thread.

We arrived in Rotterdam after 4 nights in Paris and a day in Brugge. Rather accidently we arrived at our hotel in Parisat 1:00 PM on July 24th just in time to see the end of the Tour de France on the Champs Elysee! In Rotterdam we stayed at the Hotel New York, the former Holland America headquarters directly on the pier where the Maasdam arrived. For anyone arriving or departing on a cruise in Rotterdam, I would highly recommend this hotel. T has uite unusual room with ceilings that must bee 16 feet high and a very good and reasonable. And it is oh so convenient to the cruise terminal!

We embarked on the 2nd and thoroughly enjoyed the CCer’s get-together Ruth arranged for us. It was so good to put faces with familiar screen names. As we go along on the rest of this cruise, I’ll try to contribute to this thread by uploading pictures. Notice the gold Half Moon that Ruth mentioned on top of the Hotel New York

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyone who says otherwise can't be successfully bribed. ;)

Actually, it's closer to the truth than I'd like to admit. Just about everything closes up by midnight---everything except the DJ. Even the Piano Bar closes then; yes, I'm there when it happens, but it does seem more than a bit early. It's probably for the best, though, as I'm not the gal I used to be and getting up for shore excursions on 5-6 hours of sleep is taking it's toll.

Thankfully, we gained an hour last night.

It was needed, too, after the long day at LeHavre. There were several shore excursions that ran 10 hours---returning around 8:30-9:00-ish.

I went to the Peace Memorial at Caen. It was a worthwhile trip; I could have stayed there two more hours. There are two major exhibits, a film, and memorial gardens.

The first exhibit starts with the signing of the WWI Armistice (which planted the seeds for WWII) and goes through WWII with emphasis on the Normandy area. The second exhibit deals with personal stories and post-war events. The film is footage of D-Day and the 100 days followiing spent liberating the area.

It was incredibly moving.

Let's see if this can get posted---I've been composing with the hope that Internet service is back. It went out sometime early yesterday and was down for at least 24 hours.

Archived