Anyone out there not sailing Viking?

sippican

We're doing an Avalon Christmas Market cruise - Nuremberg to Basel, December 2014. My mom & her husband and my in-laws are also coming. They'll be doing a pre-cruise trip to Prague but my husband and I don't have time (I've been twice before and told my husband that a one day stopover isn't worth it) so we'll fly to Nuremberg the day before we board. In-laws might continue on to England or Scotland after the cruise, we'll go home, mom will go home, and her husband will go back to Saudi Arabia.

Not doing a lot of planning because it's a Christmas Market cruise so my plans for every port are: walk, see Christmas Markets, eat wurst & drink beer (my husband, an avid homebrewer, wanted a German itinerary just for this reason;)) Maybe gluhwein though I tend to prefer my wine unadulterated ;-)

We're hoping that a winter cruise will be MUCH calmer on the river than the summer. I really don't like people. We prefer to travel in the off season to avoid crowds as much as possible.

Oh, my !!! The Christmas Markets are WALL to WALL people :eek:. Not quite as busy during the daylight hours as they are for the evenings and weekends.

Oh, my !!! The Christmas Markets are WALL to WALL people :eek:. Not quite as busy during the daylight hours as they are for the evenings and weekends.

The river won't be as crowded though, fingers crossed. I've been to several Christmas Markets (Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, Prague); I know what to expect. For me, it's just important that I can get away from people if/when I want. Which is actually why I prefer to fly to someplace, rent an apartment, and explore on my own. Ah well, the things we do for love - my husband really wants to river cruise.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

The river won't be as crowded though, fingers crossed. I've been to several Christmas Markets (Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, Prague); I know what to expect. For me, it's just important that I can get away from people if/when I want. Which is actually why I prefer to fly to someplace, rent an apartment, and explore on my own. Ah well, the things we do for love - my husband really wants to river cruise.....

Our trip this past December was from Nuremberg to Frankfort. Other than the docking site in Nuremberg we didn't encounter too many other river boats. We never docked off another boat, either.

Lovely no snipping wonderful. We cruised with Scenic the Rhine & Moselle in April 2013 it was so cold but a superb cruise and warmed up the closer we got to Basel. Before any of our holidays either river cruising, trains of the world or just mooching around loads of different countries I do a lot of research so was please and surprised when before each of our Scenic cruises we received a really good guide book about the rivers we were to cruise from them, so useful. I know Scenic does things differently in different countries so not sure if this happens anywhere else. A warm welcome to all who are coming to the UK this year. We have been to Canada & the US but must go to Australia soon.

Happy cruiseing wherever and whoever you cruise with.

Our trip this past December was from Nuremberg to Frankfort. Other than the docking site in Nuremberg we didn't encounter too many other river boats. We never docked off another boat, either.

That sounds great - hoping it's like that for us as well!

We'd also like some cold & snow. From the reports this year, not a lot of cold & snow.......

We are doing a b2b in Asia next month---Vietnam with Avalon and the Irrawaddy with GCT. We have never cruised with either line but the itinerary fit. Then in Dec, we are doing a Christmas market with AMA--it will be number 20 and our third with AMA.

We have traveled with Viking pre long boats and have no desire to sail on a long boat. Viking seems to be putting out new boats again next year--one on the ocean, some on the rivers of Europe and rumors about a second in China.

If all the lines keep adding new boats, you just might be able to walk across the rivers without getting your feet wet:D. Pat

Lovely no snipping wonderful. We cruised with Scenic the Rhine & Moselle in April 2013 it was so cold but a superb cruise and warmed up the closer we got to Basel. Before any of our holidays either river cruising, trains of the world or just mooching around loads of different countries I do a lot of research so was please and surprised when before each of our Scenic cruises we received a really good guide book about the rivers we were to cruise from them, so useful. I know Scenic does things differently in different countries so not sure if this happens anywhere else. A warm welcome to all who are coming to the UK this year. We have been to Canada & the US but must go to Australia soon.

I took two river cruises with Viking this past year and they sent me a book with the rivers in it also.

We've been on Avalon twice....Budapest to Prague and Amsterdam to Basel. Loved both trips, preferred the Danube to the Rhine. Currently saving to go on Avalon again in 2015, unsure of the itinerary as of yet. Avalon delivered a quality product and we met very nice people.

I keep thinking that one good thing about Viking crowding the market by launching so many new boats is that maybe the prices will go down!!!

We are doing a b2b in Asia next month---Vietnam with Avalon and the Irrawaddy with GCT. We have never cruised with either line but the itinerary fit. Then in Dec, we are doing a Christmas market with AMA--it will be number 20 and our third with AMA.

We have traveled with Viking pre long boats and have no desire to sail on a long boat. Viking seems to be putting out new boats again next year--one on the ocean, some on the rivers of Europe and rumors about a second in China.

If all the lines keep adding new boats, you just might be able to walk across the rivers without getting your feet wet:D. Pat

Pat, make sure you sign up with the STEP government program before you leave. (Saw a warning about Bangkok on the Asia thread.)

https://step.state.gov/step/

Looking forward to hearing about your GCT trip when you return.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's contributions. I am getting tons of ideas for future cruises, never imagined there were so many possibilities through river cruises. How exciting that some of you are able to combine land and B2B cruises for wonderful extended trips. It gives me so much to think about as we really love DIY on land too. (Our trip to Switzerland last year was one of the best ever.) It is refreshing to observe that many are open to sailing with a variety of lines, placing the itinerary as top priority. That has always been our approach when traveling - where do we want to go, what do we want to see, how do we best accomplish that, then, if cruising, which line will best suit our needs (and pocketbooks)?

I am pleased to hear that most are happy with the guides and tours provided by the river cruise lines. I have a feeling that we will be hooked on river cruising! :D

jklc123

please share where you have decide to stay in Amsterdam. We too are still trying to decide. will be there 2 night first part of October after Budapest to Amsterdam on Viking. Will be with another couple.

jklc123 - We are sailing Basel to Amsterdam with Viking in June, spending 2 nights in Amsterdam which we are doing on our own.

I've booked NH Amsterdam Centre via priceline for an amazing $60/night! The hotel gets great reviews.

This will be our second river cruise with Viking having sailed the Duoro last June. For that visit we extended pre-cruise in Lisbon and post cruise in Porto, booking hotels, tours, restaurants, etc. on our own.

For our upcoming Rhine River Cruise on which my 88 year old mother will join us, we are spending 2 nights post cruise in Amsterdam. From Amsterdam we are flying to Newcastle for a reunion with my mom's family for another week. My husband and I are thinking of a short 2 night trip to Edinburgh as well. I have done all the post cruise reservations for us. I love doing travel research and will also research each port to find interesting places, cafes, etc. to visit in our free time and to supplement the information imparted by the local guides.

What I find most annoying about the Viking bashing is that it is done mostly by those that have not sailed with the line. Our experience last year was wonderful which is one of the reasons we had no hesitation booking with Viking again for our upcoming cruise.

Edited by TravelBugM

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and have noticed, of late, that everyone seems to be sailing on Viking. ...

We are sailing the Romantic Danube itinerary in July with AMA. ... I am used to researching private tours and guides and feel quite useless as we wait. I am looking forward to our extra days in Prague and Budapest, where we will be planning DIY rather than AMA's extensions.

Looking forward to hearing from others.

sippican,

I think you will really be pleased with the Danube and AMA.

After taking our first river cruise with AMA on the Danube, we are now "hooked". We booked another cruise for this July on AMA, Paris & Normandy.

We like to combine land travel with our cruises. Prior to our Danube cruise we spent 4 days in Vienna then took the train to Budapest, where we boarded the ship. Then when the cruise ended, we spent 4 days in Prague. Absolutely LOVED the cruise and the extended time in the 3 big cities.

We had private guides that I highly recommend for Budapest and Prague. If anyone wants their information, let me know and I can post it.

As far as the AMA guides and excursions go, we thought they were good. We enjoyed some of the guides more than others, and we had a real adventure on the bike ride!

I am thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's contributions. I am getting tons of ideas for future cruises, never imagined there were so many possibilities through river cruises. ...:D

Yes, this is a great place to get ideas for future cruises!

For our upcoming Paris & Normandy cruise, we will spend 5 days in Paris prior to boarding the ship. Then at the end of the cruise, we will take the Chunnel to London and stay there 4 days.

I just completed our lodging arrangements yesterday for Paris and London. Both hotels were suggested by CC members.

Great ideas and lots of information shared on these boards!

Have fun planning your trip!

We did Priceline in Amsterdam and got the Movenpick for $85, then we took a train to Paris from Basel and rented an apartment for 5 days. We hired the owner of the apartment (a retired professor from the Sorbonne) to be our private guide the whole time we were there. It was perfect!!

When we were in Prague we also used a private guide who was a true highlight of our trip. If we're flying all the way over we might as well spend as much time as our work schedules will allow.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's contributions. I am getting tons of ideas for future cruises, never imagined there were so many possibilities through river cruises. How exciting that some of you are able to combine land and B2B cruises for wonderful extended trips. It gives me so much to think about as we really love DIY on land too. (Our trip to Switzerland last year was one of the best ever.) It is refreshing to observe that many are open to sailing with a variety of lines, placing the itinerary as top priority. That has always been our approach when traveling - where do we want to go, what do we want to see, how do we best accomplish that, then, if cruising, which line will best suit our needs (and pocketbooks)?

I am pleased to hear that most are happy with the guides and tours provided by the river cruise lines. I have a feeling that we will be hooked on river cruising! :D

Don't say we didn't warn you!!! :D

sippican,

I think you will really be pleased with the Danube and AMA.

After taking our first river cruise with AMA on the Danube, we are now "hooked". We booked another cruise for this July on AMA, Paris & Normandy.

We had private guides that I highly recommend for Budapest and Prague. If anyone wants their information, let me know and I can post it.

As far as the AMA guides and excursions go, we thought they were good. We enjoyed some of the guides more than others, and we had a real adventure on the bike ride!

We did a ton of research before choosing AMA. So far I have been very pleased with our customer service, and the feedback from other cruisers.

I am very interested in hearing more about your guides. Please give a bit of detail about your tours and pass along their contact information.

Thanks in advance.

Hello squarevanman,

nice to hear that someone out there is actually cruising with CroisiEurope. :)

Would you like to post this on the roll call? I will not be sailing the Douro but I am seriously looking at other itineraries of this company. How did you decide on CroisiEurope?

I hope you are not affected by the floods.

notamermaid

Hi Notamermaid,

I found out about CroisiEurope from a UK tour operators brochure which featured a good itinerary on the Danube. I was impressed with the trip and liked very much the mix of passengers from around the world (14 nationalities in all). I took their Adriatic cruise 2 years later and once again found a good mix of other nationalities.

I will follow your suggestion and post on the roll call forum.

Luckily for me I have not been affected by the floods over here although there have been some properties badly damaged only 5 minutes from where I live.

SVM

We have not cruised with Viking and do not consider them as an option for future cruises.

We have been on 6 river cruises with two lines and AMA is a our preference. We have two more AMA cruises booked and are looking at one for Dec. 2015. We have been very pleased with all aspects of our 2 AMA cruises and are looking forward to 2 new itineraries.

Edited by caviargal

We have not cruised with Viking and do not consider them as an option for future cruises.

We feel the same because of their pricing model - but of course, others are very pleased with their approach. Having said that, we have been on 3 river cruises, Our first was with Gate 1, second Uniworld and third with Avalon. Have the Douro booked with Uniworld this April and the Elbe with Vantage next April. No complaints with any of the companies we have sailed with and feel sure Vantage will also deliver a great experience.

Cole

We feel the same because of their pricing model - but of course, others are very pleased with their approach.

In addition to their pricing model, their history of handling high/low water situations and communication with passengers has been poor, from all reports. We have been in both high and low water water situations and were very pleased with how these were handled. We were able to continue sailing without interruption of our itinerary - AMA Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle - during the same week that Viking turned their cruises into bus tours.