It's a shame how cruising has gone downhill

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

It used to be looked upon as an expensive, luxury vacation.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I wish I could go back to the 1990's cruises again :p.

There are still luxury cruise lines to provide you with an "expensive, luxury vacation", in case you didn't know. So I'm not sure what your complaint is.

I didn't say that. I said Royal Caribbean used to provide those. Now they do not. I miss when they did.

I didn't say that. I said Royal Caribbean used to provide those. Now they do not. I miss when they did.

In your original post, you said this:

"All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew."

That is a generalization among cruise lines, not specific to RCI.

Perhaps it's time you tried a more upscale cruise line more suited to your tastes and expectations as the majority of your recent and total posts are negative towards RCI. They are no longer the cruise line of preference for you, and there are plenty more out there.

You're right; in some ways RCI doesn't offer what they used to.

..as the majority of your recent and total posts are negative towards RCI. They are no longer the cruise line of preference for you, and there are plenty more out there.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with your recent negativity, OP. If you are upset, angry, sad, disillusioned, perhaps another line would suit you better. No one needs to remain loyal here - many of us have tried other lines. It's all good. :)

Airplanes even worse!

Agreed! Airlines don't offer what they used to. On a 6 hour flight to Hawaii, you're not going to throw me a sandwich? :rolleyes::D LOL

Agreed! Airlines don't offer what they used to. On a 6 hour flight to Hawaii, you're not going to throw me a sandwich? :rolleyes::D LOL

All depends on the airline. Most of the scheduled carriers in Europe still provide refreshments, including a sandwich, on flights as short as 2 hours. However, if you want low cost travel, it's at the expense of refreshments. At least the major UK airlines still provide me with a free alcoholic beverage service across the pond unlike american carriers for similar prices to that charged by american carriers.

Edited by peteukmcr

OasisOTS2013, I think it is time you step up to Celebrity. You might be pleasantly surprised. These days we pretty much split our cruises between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

I do love Oasis and Allure. I don't know what ship in the nineties offered the entertainment options and dining options that these two ships offer. So far they are my all time favorite ships.

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I don't know ... somewhere along the line I must have 'missed the boat'. I sailed in the 90's and well into the 2000's. I have no complaints. I do remember way back in the 80's looking at cruising and thinking it was way out of 'my league' .... but when we first began cruising I thought it was pretty elegant, upscale, wonderful and talkative crew, great food, all of the above ... and that was a long time ago. I still think it is. I have no problems and have sailed mostly RCCI, most recently 2 years ago on the Oasis and I don't see much changing. I don't enjoy Carnival as well, but it's worked for us when the timing and price was right ... not the same level in my opinion as HAL and RCCI, but certainly not a Holiday Inn on the beach! And for us ... trust me, cruising is NOT a 'Bargain Vacation'!! Maybe you need to try the more 'Luxury Lines' and that would satisfy more of what you are looking for? But, for us .... I think it's pretty elegant and upscale ... and it's lots of fun!!! I don't know about you, but we can't afford it all the time ... but when we can, and can get a good deal on a JS, trust me ... we're gone!! And, we love it! Hope things work out for you! :)

I have only been cruising since 2004, so I can't from personal experience know what I 'would have experienced' back in the 1990's. My inlaws cruised back in the 1980's and described it as 'elegant' for the them, it was an expensive vacation, that provided them with an experience, that made them feel like they were wealthy. If that is what you want and are not getting that experience currently from Royal, as others have said, choose another cruise line.

For me, I have always found the crew talkative and engaging. How that would add to having a 'classier experience', is difficult for me to equate. Having an engaging and talkative crew, just makes for a more pleasant trip, from my POV. I personally don't live an upscale life - we are a working middle class family, who wants to have a very enjoyable, entertaining, relaxing vacation -- and cost effective is GOOD. Dressing up for me and my husband isn't part of vacationing....my DH has to wear a SUIT & TIE to work each day, yet we do like to dress up a little bit more on the formal nights (but I would not look down on someone who did not -- I don't know what their dress code is at work, and they are on VACATION). Yes, I want good quality service and good food, but it doesn't need to be lavish (too often lavish, can be WASTEFUL) -- I don't live a lavish lifestyle.

Yes, sometimes the stress the crew is under comes through.....it tells me, they like me (who works as does my hubby) have requirements to fill and expectations to meet to KEEP their job and better yet to ADVANCE. IF their stress comes through (which I have ONLY rarely felt, I allow my sympathy to take over") -- I know it will surely pass, and DOES.

Bad things (unexpected things) happen in all industries -- OIL spills for example, have you stopped buying gasoline. I don't look at those things as tarnishing the industry....I don't use a paint brush to white wash every cruise line in the industry.

I would like to go back to the 1990's and pay for gas what I did then....but alas, I can't....but I can enjoy cruising and the vacation it provides me. It is an escape from my work and everyday life....and I am happy to do it cruising on RCCL.

If you are not....so be it.

We cruised home from Bermuda back in 1957 with our parents and the ship then was more like the Titantic with tiny rooms, endless hallways and rooms leading off from them. Since that day and when my husband & I began to cruise in 2002, the ships have become more elegant. We aren't able to cruise in JS or suites and settle for the standard balcony, but haven't had a bad cruise yet.

For me, I have always found the crew talkative and engaging. How that would add to having a 'classier experience', is difficult for me to equate.

It is an escape from my work and everyday life....and I am happy to do it cruising on RCCL.

If you are not....so be it.

well said!

We feel like it is a luxury. We enjoy our time off work and find the food and staff are good value. You can't beat sitting there watching the sea go by. It is so relaxing.

OP - have you tried Cunard or something a little more expensive? I don't know how they are going, maybe they would be more to your taste? I really don't know what the other lines of a more upmarket price are, but I hope you find something to make your holiday more of the treat you were remembering.

OasisOTS2013, I think it is time you step up to Celebrity. You might be pleasantly surprised. These days we pretty much split our cruises between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

I do love Oasis and Allure. I don't know what ship in the nineties offered the entertainment options and dining options that these two ships offer. So far they are my all time favorite ships.

I was thinking about trying Celebrity, but heard that the ships "close down" at around 11:00 p.m. Is there any truth to this? I still may try Celebrity anyway. Thanks for any and all responses:)

I agree with the majority of the above, it's nice to have options. Certainly if you spend today what it cost in the 90's (when adjusted for inflation) you will have a more upscale, luxury experience.

I've been that route, but now with 4 of us I'd rather spend less and cruise more.

The ocean smells the same, the sun is just as warm, and the drinks just as cold.

The rest is details.

Each time I look at the cruise booking web sites I see the Queen Mary 2 and my eyes light up because there is nothing else like it. The upscale experience on Cunard being something to experience. Then I look at the price and put it off until later. The only way I can see myself cruising Cunard is to either do something really short or the Freemantle to South Africa leg as it is sometimes affordable.

RCI has helped make cruise affordable and a great experience but it is not Cunard. They do match loyalty programs with Celebrity which has some great itineraries though so that would be worth checking out.

Having been on a P&O Australia ship I have seen what the ships used to be like and I am glad to get the chance to be cruising now.

For me I'm OK with "downhill";) better than "upscale" with upscale prices!:eek:

We are in the process of booking Freedom of her Seas for a family cruise...we enjoy Royal Caribbean and have really loved our cruises on them, but usually cruise Princess or HAL, due to loyalty status.

The ONLY think that annoys me as cheap about RCL is the pool towel policy. I much prefer pool towels in the cabin, rather than having to stand in line both to check out towels and then return then. And I always worry that if I lay my towel down and then go in the pool or just sit on the edge, that if someone steals it I will be charged. I do not think of this as nickel and diming, which I completely understand and am OK with, but rather as an inconvenience for all guests.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Some may disagree, but a couple of years ago, when I tried Disney for the first time, it sorts of reminds me of RCCL 20 years ago. Though, I was paying 20 years ago RCCL prices, if I recall correctly, cruises back than were slightly higher or about the same as today's prices. But back then oil were $30/barrel, now it is at $100.

However, to put things into perspective, I tried NCL for the first time last month, and I stick with their "complimentary" restaurants and activities. And I can see even with today's RCCL "Watered down" product, it is still superior to what is being offered by Carnival or NCL. Though, to be fair, generally speaking, RCCL cost more than the other 2 lines.