It's a shame how cruising has gone downhill

Actually, Cunard is. Try the QM2, where every night is either formal, or semi formal. Formal is a tux. Semi formal is a coat and tie. There are no informal evenings, and except for one bar and the cafeteria, one is expected to dress after 6 PM.

I remember one evening, having a cocktail with a friend, in the Commodores Club, and by 6:20, I was on the receiving end of stares, that we were out of line, by not being dressed for the evening.

That is the "old club" of cruising, and Cunard can give you that "old time" feeling!!:D

Rick

Sounds nice and all but I'll stick with with the 2 formal nights. That's enough ties for me. :D

I've done he Chef's Table on the Oasis, Allure, Brilliance and the Serenade of the Seas and while I thoroughly enjoyed them they were in no way, shape or form of what I had in mind. What I suggested was a real formal affair for those folks who wanted such a function. Dress would be formal, tuxedos for the gentlemen and gowns for the ladies. The dress code would clearly be defined and enforced. A nice cocktail hour with hors d oeuvres would precede dinner. Some of the ship's seniors officers could mingling with the guests. The menu would be upscale with special attention the food preparation.

Obviously this function would not appeal to most cruisers but there are probably enough cruiser who truly like to get all gussied up and this should be right up their alley. I'd be willing to pay $75 for the experience.

Sorry I did not see this when I wrote my post. I'm in total agreement with you, and think that Royal Caribbean should look into just such a program, and have some trials on different ships. It could be another revenue generator......which Adam Goldstein loves!

And for the people that like to dress, it would be an honor to have a bit of the days of old brought out....for a price. Well done!

Rick

What a marvelous idea!

Obviously this function would not appeal to most cruisers but there are probably enough cruiser who truly like to get all gussied up and this should be right up their alley. I'd be willing to pay $75 for the experience.

How true!

This board has been most interesting.

My first cruise was in the early 70's on Home Lines Oceanic. Myself and 2 of my friends shared a very small cabin with a porthole, there wasn't even a chair in the cabin. I can't remember exactly what we paid, but it was more than 3 sailing in a cabin today. There was nothing to do at night, except dancing in one lounge. The pool deck didn't even have lounge chairs, There were mats that were placed on the deck, and a couple of regular chairs around the edge of the deck.

Every night was formal, I remember bringing 7 gowns. I still can't figure out where 3 girls put all the clothes and luggage in that small cabin.

We had a great time, even though I'm sure we were the youngest on the ship. One of the things I love about cruising today, besides the great value, is all the entertainment at night on the ships. 40 years ago that didn't exist.

My first cruise was on the Homeric [Home Lines] in the 60 's. We had an inside cabin for $400. I thought it was great!

Since then we have cruised on luxury lines and the experience that you are looking for is still around. However, you will pay for each step uphill.

Not everyone is looking for the same cruise experience. If you want value for your money,you will select the line that fulfills your needs. RC does that for many people.

A good price for a junior suite is $3200... Add taxes tips insurance comes to $3700. Not cheap for 7 nights. Happy sailing and I will keep my eyes peeled for those great deals:-)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

A good price for a JS is 1199 per person, which is exactly what I paid for a B2B on Serenade and a B2B on Navigator last year. What you are describing is an "average" price.

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

It used to be looked upon as an expensive, luxury vacation.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I wish I could go back to the 1990's cruises again :p.

Not sure I agree that cruising has gone downhill. Will for sure agree that cruising has changed!

I too miss some of the activities that first attracted us to keep sailing and now have been deleted due in most cases to cost cutting, but also due to lack of interest in the feature/activity. For example, I loved the steel drum bands up on the pool decks. Last few Caribbean cruises, they were never seen/heard on our sailings.

I also enjoyed most people dressing up on formal night, but between marketing efforts towards customers who do not want to wear formal wear and the airlines charging more for luggage/weight, extra clothes were the victim of these events. I just bring a sports jacket now for formal night which I used to wear on non-formal nights. Thinking of deleting that too. Last cruise, one of our table mates just wore a collared short sleeve shirt and was allowed in the MDR on formal night.

To answer "the trail" On the allure or oasis (only ships in port from April - October) tends to be those prices I quoted. Look online average price Jr suite (not during low season of Aug or Sept) 7 night. Just what I observed. Also I mostly cruise out of port everglades due to the proximity to my home. I can't speak for other ports.

Oh yea. Allure and oasis are going to have those prices since they are newer ships. We cruised early August and paid about what you are quoting. If I'm flying into Florida already then I start to look elsewhere since I already have to pay airfare. Great deals can be had out of San Juan and New Orleans. Screaming deals out of Europe in the summer.

I lived in Miami and got sick of cruising out of Florida pretty quickly.

I'm wondering what the next shoe drop will be. We started with

Where is everybody getting cruising is an inexpensive vacation...
and in subsequent posts find out that you

only consider sailing in suites

only consider sailing on the Oasis or Allure

will not sail in the peak of hurricane season

Sailing is an inexpensive vacation if want to let it be that way.

It is expensive if you restrict yourself to expensive options.

Duh:rolleyes:

I'm wondering what the next shoe drop will be. We started with and in subsequent posts find out that you

Why are you so rude. Do you just go on cruise critic to be nasty and have nasty posts DUH!!! I was just expressing an opinion nothing more and its my business how I want to travel if I decide to spend my money on a suite I will..if you decide to spend your money on an inside cabin that's great.

I'm wondering what the next shoe drop will be. We started with and in subsequent posts find out that you

Why are you so rude. Do you just go on cruise critic to be nasty and have nasty posts DUH!!! I was just expressing an opinion nothing more and its my business how I want to travel if I decide to spend my money on a suite I will..if you decide to spend your money on an inside cabin that's great.

TravelerThom is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He is truly a world traveler, and is always willing to share travel tips and advice to fellow travelers. He has lots of interesting travel stories and has a wealth of knowledge.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife on a Celebrity cruise during the nightly Elite event. He's only guilty of being too logical.;)

TravelerThom is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He is truly a world traveler, and is always willing to share travel tips and advice to fellow travelers. He has lots of interesting travel stories and has a wealth of knowledge.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife on a Celebrity cruise during the nightly Elite event. He's only guilty of being too logical.;)

I am sure he is. Sometimes on cc messages can be misconstrued. Apologies if I came across too aggressive:-)

I am sure he is. Sometimes on cc messages can be misconstrued. Apologies if I came across too aggressive:-)

Nice of you reassess your post. Perhaps TravelerThom should do the same. It is quite easy for a post to take different direction than intended.

All he was pointing out was that you established the parameters for which you compared cost, and those parameters created arguably an artificially high price point for an average cruise-to-cruise, ship-to-ship, or date-to-date comparison. It would also be the same if you had used only interior cabins on an old ship sailing in mid-January- that would set an artificially low bar for any comparisons.

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

It used to be looked upon as an expensive, luxury vacation.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I wish I could go back to the 1990's cruises again :p.

You are entitled to your opinion even though I disagree with it. But then again that’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

I remember in the 1980's when my inlaws did some cruising and they would tell us about feeling like a king and queen from the service and elegance. These were the same people who would take a plane trip, dressed up as if going to work.

Our society/world has for the most part changed. I surely don't mind that the formality of the cruise industry on some cruise lines has changed. For those that want the formality, there are cruise lines to use.

In my 10 years of cruising on RCCL, I have seen some changes, but nothing that 'hampered' my having a wonderful experience -- I won't say that the industry has gone 'downhill'.

Has there been changes in the dining room to the menu -- yes. Actually portions have gotten smaller, thankfully -- I don't feel like I am wasting food that I 'don't finish'. I would rather order something additional (which is always allowed) if I am still hungry. Has service changed somewhat -- yes, there are fewer cabin stewards, so each cabin steward has more cabins to take care of -- it has never caused a problem for me and DH.

The cruise industry has broadened its reach and made it available to a wider population and fit the desires they have with incredible entertainment and activities.

I don't consider the changes 'going downhill' -- just industry changes....and Royal is not alone, I am sure, in making changes.

All he was pointing out was that you established the parameters for which you compared cost, and those parameters created arguably an artificially high price point for an average cruise-to-cruise, ship-to-ship, or date-to-date comparison. It would also be the same if you had used only interior cabins on an old ship sailing in mid-January- that would set an artificially low bar for any comparisons.
I apologize as the "Duh" I wrote was entirely unnecessary.

My frustration was not with the parameters of the price point, whether high or low, but that there was NO establishment of those parameters until after multiple questions. Every "how did you arrive at that price?" question, revealed one more (and seemingly only one more) parameter. I have absolutely no problem with someone who wants to cruise in a JS on Allure in June, but to not reveal those parameters while claiming that it costs $4000 a week to cruise on RCI is misleading.

Thom

PS We are on Allure this month in a balcony for less than $800pp after including tips, taxes, TA OBC and D+ Balcony discount. Inexpensive in my book.

Edited by TravelerThom

Airplanes even worse! And no choices - other than first class:eek:

Which has also gone downhill.

I will say that the "talkative staff" have been alive and well on our recent RCI cruises. I enjoy interacting with them, but I foresee the day when they will be so overloaded with chores that they won't have time any more.:(

My frustration was not with the parameters of the price point, whether high or low, but that there was NO establishment of those parameters until after multiple questions. Every "how did you arrive at that price?" question, revealed one more (and seemingly only one more) parameter. I have absolutely no problem with someone who wants to cruise in a JS on Allure in June, but to not reveal those parameters while claiming that it costs $4000 a week to cruise on RCI is misleading.

Thom

PS We are on Allure this month in a balcony for less than $800pp after including tips, taxes, TA OBC and D+ Balcony discount. Inexpensive in my book.

Thom..point taken:-). There are defiantly deals to be had. I hope you enjoy your cruise:-)

PS I am taking Indy this month 8 night for 3 people junior suite $4600. Not flexible with time due to my DH work schedule. That price does include insurance.

To answer "the trail" On the allure or oasis (only ships in port from April - October) tends to be those prices I quoted. Look online average price Jr suite (not during low season of Aug or Sept) 7 night. Just what I observed. Also I mostly cruise out of port everglades due to the proximity to my home. I can't speak for other ports.

On those two ships OK, sounds right, not the rest of the fleet though....

Thom

Makes perfect, logical sense to me Thom....K.O....:)....and seriously didn't think you were being rude in the slightest bit, just saying.

The only thing I find with RCL is nowadays the bigger ships are unable to dock anywhere and in any case they may only do 3 stops on a 7 day cruise and that's why we are on Jewel 1st Feb for 6 island stops again. The Diamond Plus deal is another story.

This conversation has taken me back to the first cruise I actually remember taking which was a TA on QE2 in late 70's. I'm not sure how much my parents paid for the cabin -- as a teen I was too excited to pay attention to such matters -- but I know we were in "2nd class", and at the time QE2 had 3 classes of passengers. Even at that level, we had silver tea cup set in room served every night with treats at night. We dressed up to the nines day and night.

I've seen cruising change some things for the better and some not so. For example I like the variety of activities available now as opposed to having shuffle board and reading as being the major activities at one point. I don't like dressing up for dinner is disappearing. I don't like how rude passengers become toward each other -- like fighting over saving seats.

In the past 10-15 years, people have worked hard and vacationed more often.

My husband and I dress up formal and otherwise for dinner every night. It makes us feel good and special. I don't really care what anyone else does.:p

Not sure I agree that cruising has gone downhill. Will for sure agree that cruising has changed!

Good point. One of the benefits we've experienced is that the newer (larger) ships have lots of activities that have kept the children and the Grandparents entertained and happy. That makes it a great way to spend a family vacation for multi-generational groups.

Although I only cruised once in the 1980's, my recollection is that it was not particularly kid friendly, and possibly even the older set would have found too much down time.

My parents were both in their nineties when they joined us on their first cruise. They had a blast!

I personally miss some of the formality that I know longer see on the lines we travel, but if it makes cruising better and more accessible for more folks, that works for me too. JMHO, Paul