What to wear on first night dinner for Nieuw Amsterdam

rileylewis

I have read that its a good idea to pack what you are going to wear to dinner in your carry on bag. Many have said that your luggage doesn't get delivered before dinnertime. An experienced Holland American passenger said that the ships with this line are smaller and so most of the time the rooms are ready and luggage delivered before dinner.

I am cruising (first cruise ever! ) with Holland America on the Nieuw Amsterdam. What do most people wear to dinner on that first night? I know Holland America says no shorts or t-shirts in the evenings.

So, what have you worn on your first night's dinner?

Don't worry about it! In 15 HAL cruises we've always gotten our bags in time to change. IF by some chance you don't, you can explain that to the MDR manager, or eat in the Lido, or order room service.

Edited by catl331

We've done over 80 cruises on HAL and not once did we not have our luggage delivered by 4 P.M. and almost always we have it before that.

First night dinner is always smart casual. No short permitted in MDR for dinner so if you wear slacks and a shirt/blouse with a collar, you will be fine. Perhaps board the ship in that and in worst case scenario, if you have a clean top in your carryon and change of underwear, you can shower and freshen up to go to dinner in mostly what you wore to board the ship.

Almost always I am totally unpacked by the time I leave for muster. The few times I haven't finished, there are only one or two things left to hang, and the suitcases to be put away. There's no problem finding time to get showered and dressed for main dinner. Early diners may be pressed for time.

Evening dress code is "smart casual", which is not the same as daytime casual; it is a more polished look. As Sail suggested, either have something in your carry-on, or wear something suitable, if you don't think you will have time to change.

On, HAL (and most other lines), we have always received our bags and had time to unpack before dinner. However, we do eat later, around 8pm.

Don't worry about your first night apparel too much. There will be people there who have not had a change of outfit since boarding, for whatever reason. As long as you aren't wearing shorts, swimsuits, tank tops or t-shirts, you'll be fine.

To answer your question, we usually will change into slacks and a collared shirt for dinner.

Enjoy your first cruise! You've picked a great cruise line to start.

Our last cruise with HAL (Alaska, 14 nighter on Amsterdam) our bags did not arrive to our stateroom until while we were at dinner. I had on capris and DH was in nice golf shorts and a polo shirt. When we got to the dining room, we told them that he didn't have any slacks to change into and they were fine with it. I'd say it's always the luck of the draw, both on whether you'll have your luggage pre-dinner and/or whether they will care the first night. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

We always wear smart casual to travel and board, no matter where we board or on what line, except Cunard. Cunard requires a jacket, no tie as their smart casual even on the first night.

That works out well for us, since sometimes - even if we do get our luggage, some times we don't unpack fully til the second day on board. This allows us to relax, explore the ship, do lifeboat drill and enjoy the sailaway before dinner.

If your luggage doesn't arrive on time, it's not a problem. Just tell the dining room manager and you can wear shorts if that's what you've boarded in. But, as others have stated, I've always had my luggage in time for early fixed dining.

Our luggage has always been delivered before going to the muster drill; we would have unpacked so after the muster drill we can head to the Lido deck for sail-away. Even when we had a late embarkation (3 pm) on the Eurodam because it arrived in Port Everglades late after an anchor incident at Half Moon Cay.

Brand new jeans and a nice golf shirt is what I'll be travelling in (flying same day as sailing from Canada and it's darned cold here right now), so that will have to do at our early seating if our luggage doesn't arrive in time. It has always arrived in plenty of time in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your suitcase doesn't get there wear whatever you came aboard in. I would not second guess for one second choosing a smart casual outfit to travel in if that's not your usual. If you have to go to dinner in shorts and a tee shirt, then do it. It's not your fault for delayed luggage.